Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which file storage option is best?

• 04-11-2016 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

I am looking for a cloud storage option for the company I work with but don't know which option to go with. We currently use excel to keep track of our stock. This file is updated and emailed to a few employees a few time a month. We would like to make this on a more regular basis.

Which option is best for spreadsheet sharing, limiting access to viewing only, across different devices? Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive and iCloud are the options I have looked into so far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Horses for courses but I prefer Google Drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

If you just want to share a spreadsheet I'd say Google Sheets is the best option unless you have an existing complicated spreadsheet with lots of functions and macros.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Access would be required through Android devices, iOS devices and on PC. Is this likely to impact choice?

psinno wrote: »
    If you just want to share a spreadsheet I'd say Google Sheets is the best option unless you have an existing complicated spreadsheet with lots of functions and macros.
    It not a massive spread sheet but contains a few formulas which may be causing it to hang from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

It not a massive spread sheet but contains a few formulas which may be causing it to hang from time to time.

If it is just simple enough formula it is well worth converting to Google sheets for the ease of sharing and being able to have multiple people edit at the same time.

• Advertisement

psinno wrote: »
    If it is just simple enough formula it is well worth converting to Google sheets for the ease of sharing and being able to have multiple people edit at the same time.
    To do this would I save the Excel sheet to Google Sheets and then discontinue updating the original Excel sheet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To do this would I save the Excel sheet to Google Sheets and then discontinue updating the original Excel sheet?

Upload to Google Drive
    Convert to a Google sheet
    Make sure everything still works correctly
    Invite people who can change values with edit permissions
    Invite people who just view it with view permissions

They get an email with a link. Just get them to bookmark that link then when they click that theyll see the live version.

Then if you change stock of SKU00001 from 1 to 0 then a second later everyone else sees that change.

Advertisement