Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy to launch new football podcast

• 04-11-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭

Eamon Dunphy to launch 'intelligent, interesting, irreverent' football podcast.
    EAMON DUNPHY WANTS to talk about football.
    A lot.
    And his pre- and post-game slots on RTÉ television just aren’t sating his appetite.
    “It’s very hard in soccer to find good, intelligent analysis,” he told TheJournal.ie in a recent interview.
    “So there isn’t anything that I listen to where I feel comfortable saying ‘this is an intelligent, interesting perspective’.

A lot of it is very tabloidy. The English television channels, to be fair, don’t really make an effort. When you look at the people they have, they’re on because they were great players. That doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re going to be a good analyst.
    “So, there isn’t much that I watch. Sometimes I turn the sound down.”
    Taking the matter into his own hands, Dunphy has decided to launch his own show – in the form of a football podcast.
    The programme will launch on 21 November with a live audience at Trinity College. The pundit has gathered the old gang together and on stage with him will be John Giles, Liam Brady and Didi Hamann.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/news/eamon-dunphy-to-launch-intelligent-interesting-irreverent-football-podcast/ar-AAjSIhI?li=AAdf4rm&ocid=spartandhp#image=1

Should be interesting...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

A lot of podcasts are tabloidy has to be a winner in terms of quotes. I sometimes enjoy listening to Eamonn for a bit of nostalgia however a podcast, that would be torture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

“It’s very hard in soccer to find good, intelligent analysis,”

Indeed Eamon, when all we ever get is ranting about "spoofers" and managers "being found out", it's reassuring to know you will bring good, intelligent analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The last thing Dunphy brings to the table is intelligent analysis and he's the definition of tabloidy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's a podcast for real football people

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The man whose opinion of the past, present and future fortunes of a team regularly changes within 45 minutes doesn't half think a lot of himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hopefully it's recorded after closing time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Rumoured list of topics for the first show...

1. Why Hoolahan has been shamefully overlooked for the Ballon d'Or.

2. Is Darragh getting too big for his boots?

3. Spooferism, chancerism, peacocking.

4. Brian Cody is better than Martin O'Neill. Discuss.

5. Why I was a better presenter of The Weakest Link than Anne Robinson.

6. Q. for Trinity Law society - Can you get royalties on a parody? Also Apres Match discussion.

7. John closes us out with a song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Use to love listening to him when I was younger but now I don't watch Rte coverage anymore.

Knee jerk opinions. Players and managers being found out if they lose just 1 game.

Used to be funny watching him say Ronaldo was overrated and then a few days later during Irish games bigging up players like Andy Reid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

rob316 wrote: »
    Eamon Dunphy to launch 'intelligent, interesting, irreverent' football podcast.
    He spelt irrelevant wrong

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Eamon Dunphy to launch 'intelligent, interesting, irreverent' football podcast...

Sounds great, who will he get to present it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hopefully it's recorded after closing time

:pac: Post of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Dunphy was fantastic on the radio when he was presenting his own show. Hopefully it'll be a good listen. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Podcasts are a completely different animal to live tv or even radio.

I've often found that somebody that I didn't particularly like from live stuff was brilliant on a podcast and it's been the other way around too with people I've liked on tv making me want to sleep on a podcast.

Until you listen to one of his podcasts you cannot make any judgment about what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Has anyone checked it out? Is it worth listening to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Starts on the 5th Dec, every Monday and Friday for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There's too many bleerin football podcasts on a Monday as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Any have the link where I get the podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's actually more than a football podcast, he had a decent 2 part interview with Paul Kimmage over Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It has been a bit rubbish so far. Haven't listened to the Kimmage interview but the Liam Brady one should have been better.

The weekly podcasts are just the lads down the phone offering predictable opinions and Dunphy trying to piece it together.

I think they need a host to let Dunphy do his thing but it's clear that the lads have done this on the cheap and see a but of free money coming in if they get a sponsor.

Edit: I have just seen the latest offering. Robert Fisk on War, Journalism and 40 year in Beirut. He must have given up on football already :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

There's an obvious problem with this venture. Dunphy (and the RTE lads) have an audience, and have done for decades now, the issue is though that their established audience are, I'd hazard to guess, almost entirely unlikely to listen to podcasts. While the early episodes might draw some curiousity listeners, I can't imagine those sticking around once the novelty of being able to listen to the lads ramble whenever you like wears off.

The crowd that are more likely to listen to an Irish soccer podcast will likely already be regular listeners of Second Captains. They appeal to a younger crowd, they also appeal to a crowd who like their football opinion to be more informed than the level which the RTE lads regularly display. In top of that, Second Captains does get some intriguing, renowned guests on their podcast like Jonathan Wilson or Sid Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Listened to a few of them.. the usual rubbish., knee jerk reactions and harping on about football was better in their day., the podcast in December had a bit about how Mourinho was a washed up manager.,

Advertisement