Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance company issue

Options
  • 04-11-2016 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope you can help with this. My partner is a tradesman and is looking to get insured on a van he bought recently. He has only passed his test this year and has been on my car insurance for the past 2 years.

To get insured on his van he needs proof of named driving experience which is fine. If he does not get this his quote becomes insane money and not worth his while (1000's more expensive). Only issue is when I contacted my insurance company for this they say they have no record of me asking for this. I clearly remember the phone call to this particular insurance company and the conversation I had (I remember so clearly as it cost nothing to insure him and we laughed about it after wondering why this was so - we were delighted he essentially got it for free).

They say they have checked their records for phone calls made at this time and cannot find anything. I am struggling to believe this and am wondering is there anyway in particular I can deal with this?

I refuse to simply accept this from them as I know 400% I asked for him to be on the cover.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

All I can say is that it would be unusual for them to add a named driver and not charge a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

All I can say is that it would be unusual for them to add a named driver and not charge a penny.
    `

100% especially because at the time he was on a provisional! We couldn't understand it either and it became a running joke. This is why I know for sure I asked for him to be put on. we had many conversations at the time about it.

EDIT: Hang on, you had him insured as a learner driver, for free?! Did you contact them after he passed his test and ask them to issue a new quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

After you agreed the quote a policy document is sent to your house asking you to review the document and advise of any errors. Try to find this document and see what it says (it will have no record of him on the policy). I think your in a no win situation here but it's better then if you were looking for this after an accident. He can not drive your car any longer either unfortunately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Greenduck wrote: »
    `

100% especially because at the time he was on a provisional! We couldn't understand it either and it became a running joke. This is why I know for sure I asked for him to be put on. we had many conversations at the time about it.

How should be listed on your policy document as a named driver?

• Advertisement

EDIT: Hang on, you had him insured as a learner driver, for free?! Did you contact them after he passed his test and ask them to issue a new quote?

Yep!

In actual fact I had him on my previous policy with 123. When I went for my renewal it was mad money but they said it would come DOWN if he went on it. I said 'but hes a provisional driver' they said it didn't matter. I thought this was very bizarre.

I then went to Allianz who are the people I have my current insurance/issue with.

Mumm_ra wrote: »
    After you agreed the quote a policy document is sent to your house asking you to review the document and advise of any errors. Try to find this document and see what it says (it will have no record of him on the policy). I think your in a no win situation here but it's better then if you were looking for this after an accident. He can not drive your car any longer either unfortunately.

Yes I was panicked that he wasn't insured then and they said as I have open drive he would have been covered.

Unfortunately him driving on open drive doesn't count as named driver experience.

My only option now is to find a phone bill to show I called when they say I didnt and request a recording of the phone call.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If there is not mention of him on the previous policy documentation then say nothing as otherwise you're admitting to them that he may have driven uninsured!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Do you know where your policy documents are? Your main chance of comeback will be if he's on these.

Otherwise demand to get access to their call recordings involving your policy if you are 100% sure he was added.

EDIT: just saw your newest post, open drive is no good to him and seems to be the only logical explanation as to why you weren't charged anything

Open Driving is not the same as having him as a named driver on your policy. Open Driving also only applies to someone with a full licence.

• Advertisement

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Do you know where your policy documents are? Your main chance of comeback will be if he's on these.

Otherwise demand to get access to their call recordings involving your policy if you are 100% sure he was added.

EDIT: just saw your newest post, open drive is no good to him and seems to be the only logical explanation as to why you weren't charged anything

I think this is exactly what I have to do. I have been onto them a few times and they keep saying they have no record of the call which is so frustrating. As he was learning when I 1st called for insurance i 100% asked for him to be covered and wouldn't have taken any chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Open Drive only applies to FL drivers. I had an issue where an insurance company gave me a quote over the phone and then 4 days later when I went to get insured they increased it they also said they had no record. I don't trust these insurance companies.
    I knew full well about the previous quote and I even had the girls name who gave me the quote but they just kept refusing it was true. Unfortunately I didn't have the quote in an email or text as they said I wouldn't need to.
    I had actually recorded the phone call on my phone but when I listened back the recording only had my voice and not the person on the other end it was so annoying. I know to this day they still have the phone call with the cheaper quote they gave me.

steo_magra wrote: »
    Open Drive only applies to FL drivers. I had an issue where an insurance company gave me a quote over the phone and then 4 days later when I went to get insured they increased it they also said they had no record. I don't trust these insurance companies.
    I knew full well about the previous quote and I even had the girls name who gave me the quote but they just kept refusing it was true. Unfortunately I didn't have the quote in an email or text as they said I wouldn't need to.
    I had actually recorded the phone call on my phone but when I listened back the recording only had my voice and not the person on the other end it was so annoying. I know to this day they still have the phone call with the cheaper quote they gave me.

Ah its a joke really. Its their word against ours. I'm the exact same. I know for a fact I spoke to them but they say they have no records. What are you supposed to do then? Makes me so angry.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ah its a joke really. Its their word against ours.
    It's not really, though. If you've no documentation.

I have two people as named drivers on my policy. You can tell they're named drivers, because they're named on the policy documents. By name. In print. On the documents that were reissued and posted out when they were added.

You had himself driving your car uninsured for the period.

Ah its a joke really. Its their word against ours. I'm the exact same. I know for a fact I spoke to them but they say they have no records. What are you supposed to do then? Makes me so angry.:mad:

What do you want anyone else to do? Precisely, it's your word against there's. What sways the balance in these circumstances is evidence, of which you have produced none. You don't have a policy doc and you don't know the details (yet) of the call you supposedly made. You have no evidence whatsoever to back up your claims.

If you have evidence of the phone call (you've already suggested looking up a phone bill) then get on that ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Check your certificate. All named drivers are on the certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Whatever about the 1st year you made the call, where you might have a case.
    You have since renewed the policy and if he wasn't on the insurance certificate for the 2nd policy then he's been driving uninsured and that's your fault not the insurance companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Del2005 wrote: »
    Whatever about the 1st year you made the call, where you might have a case.
    You have since renewed the policy and if he wasn't on the insurance certificate for the 2nd policy then he's been driving uninsured and that's your fault not the insurance companies.

Sorry I have to agree with this, if you didn't notice on the 2nd year that it wasn't on the policy then it is your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

The insurance certificate and statement of fact you receive from the insurance company at renewal or inception will confirm all listed drivers or if opendrive is in place.

Noted above you mentioned adding him as learner driver was free, this can actual occur . Spouce rate can actually be as high as 22% cheaper than insured only driver case. When he was added the cost of learner licence loadingmay have matched the discount thus no fee to add.

Some customers I deal with ask to delete drivers to add open drive but I always explain potential issue for future experience proof. It's then the customer decision .

If the calls that your company use are automated it tells you the call may be recorded. Then trace the phone number used by you, the date and time you called and their data dept can trace the call , that dept can listen to same and outcome of same can be verbally told to you. , as some companies take hundreds of call per day then only saying a date is too vague to track a single call.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

1 exception to rule is, if adding partner it can be up to 22% cheaper. Be partner had learner licence then it's loading may have cancelled out the discount thus free to add. See that weekly at work

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone for the useful feedback. I appreciate I should of checked the policy more carefully when it came in - I take full responsibility for it.

I'll just have to wait on my phone records now and take it from there. Thanks again.

Hi all - just a quick update for anyone who's interested. I managed to get proof that I had called the insurance company twice to add my partner, even though they were adamant I never called. They are now issuing us with the named driver experience document.

Just for anyone who takes these places at their word..do your homework. They flat out lied to me and got caught out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hi all - just a quick update for anyone who's interested. I managed to get proof that I had called the insurance company twice to add my partner, even though they were adamant I never called. They are now issuing us with the named driver experience document.

Just for anyone who takes these places at their word..do your homework. They flat out lied to me and got caught out!

Fair play to you for being so persistent, I would have given up, have to be honest. I admire you. :)

pilly wrote: »
    Fair play to you for being so persistent, I would have given up, have to be honest. I admire you. :)

ha ha..I just couldn't let it go. It was driving me mad. I completely accept my part in it but I knew they were lying about the phone call. It was driving me demented!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Good result.
    It's hard to tell when insurers come out with stuff you just know isn't true - is it coming out of malice or incompetence? Not to say both couldn't be factors at once!

Good result.
    It's hard to tell when insurers come out with stuff you just know isn't true - is it coming out of malice or incompetence? Not to say both couldn't be factors at once!

100%. I think there was definitely a bit of both in this situation. It just bugs me because not everyone would question them about it and would accept what they said was true. For example my parents are hardworking, good people and never question these types of organisations. Had it of been them they would have just accepted this outcome and gotten completely ripped off. I personally wont be making the same mistake again and will triple check everything. I am just so glad that something bad or an accident happened. I'm sure it would have been a complete mess!

Advertisement