Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 months, sole trader...do I make a tax return

• 04-11-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    It's hard to get a yes or no...do I need to make a tax return before the 10th of November for income etc for the last 10 months.
    I think I can wait till next Oct/Nov and make a tax return for 2016 and preliminary one for 2017.. would that be right? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

BobberC wrote: »
    Hi,
    It's hard to get a yes or no...do I need to make a tax return before the 10th of November for income etc for the last 10 months.
    I think I can wait till next Oct/Nov and make a tax return for 2016 and preliminary one for 2017.. would that be right? Thanks

Think you've to do a preliminary one thing year for 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭billcullen1

Hi,

get peace of mind !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Hi,

This thread should be in "Taxation".

The definitive answer is.....if you started in business after January 1st 2016 then your first tax return will be for 2016, and that (together with the return for 2017) will be due by the end of October 2018!! After that, you'll submit the return for each year by the end of October of the following year.

Revenue give you an extra year to submit your first tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭leandrolorenzi

I registered as a Sole trader in Nov 2015.
    My understanding is that I could choose my 'accountancy period' covering just the last two months of 2015 (Nov and Dec) , or even starting from Nov 2015 til Oct 2016, having to submit my first Tax Returns by Oct 2017. Is that correct?
    Do I owe any preliminary tax?

Aside of that in 2015 I also had a small income through Airbnb, that I want to declare. Does this income fall into my overall tax return for 2015,and so I have until Oct 2017 to submit for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If you commenced in 2015 then your first Income Tax return will be due by the end of October 2017. Your 2016 return will also be due on that date.
    There may be a small advantage in doing accounts up to the end of December 2016 rather than doing just 12 months. After the first accounting period you'll be stuck with the chosen year end.
    The income from Airbnb would be included in the 2015 return, yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement