Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Winter Bike

Options
  • 04-11-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Right, it's Friday afternoon and I'm daydreaming... If money wasn't an issue and you wanted the ultimate do-it-all strong winter bike what would you buy or build?
    Preferably I would go Titanium, Steel or high end Aluminium, hydraulic disc brakes, Ultegra, hand built wheels like H+Son Archytype on nice cartridge bearing hubs. Mudguard mounts and rack mounts also required and sportive/endurance geometry with 25-28mm tyres.

This would be high on my list... https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/resolution-bikes

I like the Ti bikes too. Dolan do a nice Ti frame but it only takes 23mm tyres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Lovely bike, but if money wasn't an issue i wouldn't be calling them winter bikes. It would be Monday bike, Tuesday bike ........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Donie75 wrote: »
    Right, it's Friday afternoon and I'm daydreaming... If money wasn't an issue and you wanted the ultimate do-it-all strong winter bike what would you buy or build?
    Preferably I would go Titanium, Steel or high end Aluminium, hydraulic disc brakes, Ultegra, hand built wheels like H+Son Archytype on nice cartridge bearing hubs. Mudguard mounts and rack mounts also required and sportive/endurance geometry with 25-28mm tyres.

This would be high on my list... https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/resolution-bikes

I like the Ti bikes too. Dolan do a nice Ti frame but it only takes 23mm tyres.

Dolan do a "Dual" as well which is a carbon bike that is suited to winter use - have a look at the 105 model here

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

Donie75 wrote: »
    This is where that daydream led me:
    P1030514.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

14t4sch.jpg

There is enough room to switch out the wheels for Knobbly ones or Ice/Snow tyres

It's wubbly.

I don't have kids/sprogs or take "holidays"

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

IMG_7512.JPG

My winter dream bike after many years dreaming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Since fitted with mudguards:

_DSC1528edited_zpscar2td0i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

boardbeer wrote: »
    This is where that daydream led me:
    P1030514.jpg

Cantilever brake? external dynamo wiring?

If you're settled on a fixie, I'd have a disk front to avoid replacing the rim when its worn down, given the dyno hub.
    I'd have gone for internal/fork power routing from the dyno, as its tidier
    a Rohloff back hub
    V brakes and drop bars, or at least bar ends to get down from the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

If you're settled on a fixie, I'd have a disk front to avoid replacing the rim when its worn down, given the dyno hub.
    a Rohloff back hub
    Weight budget: 8.5kg, Rohloff, disks, etc., would blow that, and anyway, those cantis out perform any disk I've ever used.
    Yeah, I'll spec the next frame a bit differently, more internal routing, rear braze-ons for a rack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

a Rohloff back hub

The wear on the rim from a front brake on a fixie isn't as much as you might think. I've H Plus SON archetypes with about 15000 km and still plenty of rim left. No need for a disc at all.

Advertisement