Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you call your parents by their real name?

Options
  • 04-11-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Do you (or did you used to) call your parents by their first name or still refer to them as Mam and dad (or mum and dad) ?

If so at what age did you start doing it from?

Do you think its in some way dis-respectful calling them by their names and not addressing them as mum and dad ? - or do you think its more affectionate or proper?

Do they prefer it if you call them ma and da , or are they not fazed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Apparently he prefers not to be called Mr. Milkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's the height of disrespect. If young corm turned around to me and addressed me by Jimmy I'll be sending him in to a drugs rehab centre or else to the doctor to get put on some drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I call mine by their real names, Mum and Dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I call them by their names, and have done since I was about 11 or 12. Seeing grown adults call their parents Mammy or Daddy seems childish to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Do I **** still call them ma or da or anything. About 13 I'd say, I was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just call them mum and dad. What people want to call their parents is obviously up to them and doesn't bother me, but it somewhat disturbs me to hear fairly young kids call their parents by their first name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

longshanks wrote: »
    I call them by their names, and have done since I was about 11 or 12. Seeing grown adults call their parents Mammy or Daddy seems childish to me.

yeah, admittedly mammy and daddy - but ma and da, or mum and dad is OK surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I call mine by their real names, Mum and Dad!

Then who is agun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Mum and Dad for me, although with my mum, I do call her by her first name when we're at a group hobby we both do. It's a different context, sorta.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wasn't brought up in a hippy commune so it's Mam and Dad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

yeah, admittedly mammy and daddy - but ma and da, or mum and dad is OK surely?

Of course. I've seen 60 years olds call their 80 year old parents that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It's the height of disrespect. If young corm turned around to me and addressed me by Jimmy I'll be sending him in to a drugs rehab centre or else to the doctor to get put on some drugs.

I must say personally I am glad mine still call me dad and their mum ... er mum

they are 23 and 21 at moment - hope they continue to call us mum and dad forever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Have always called my mam and dad by their actual names ever since I can remember. My brother and sisters do too apart from my younger sister who calls them maaaa and daaaa. It'd feel strange to to call them anything but their name at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

longshanks wrote: »
    Seeing grown adults call their parents Mammy or Daddy seems childish to me.

It's as much a term of affection as anything else, they will always be your mother and father and you will always be their child, no matter how much of an ungrateful little sh1t you are:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I, like many eldest children called their parents by their given names because thats how we heard everyone else in our life refer to them. Generally once we start school we realise that most other kids call their parents mam and dad etc and so most switch to that. Then our siblings following behind us call our parents mam and dad from as soon as they can speak because we eldest will pinch them and call them poopoo heads if they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Usually call them mum and dad but occasionally they will get their nicknames.

My sons call me mum but their dad by his first name coz he is barely in their lives. I think they call him dad to his face but they always refer to him by his real name when talking to anyone else.

I have a double barrelled name that ends in Ann so my eldest sometimes calls me Mammy-Ann when he is being affection or cheeky.

I don't care what my now adult sons call me as long as they call me about once a week for a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Our family the tradition has always been Mum & Dad, although I do have a friend who always refers to his parents by their 1st names, which I find peculiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

only when they've been bold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Up until about 6, I called them Mammy and Daddy but I remember my brother called me aside and said I was too old to be calling them that, it was cooler to call them Ma and Da so I settled on calling them Mam and Dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I did if they stopped answering to mom and dad.

Da. Daaaa. Dad! DAD!! Daddy? Da. DA! Dadddddddddddy?
    FIRSTNAME!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I called my dad daddy up until I was 25. Not even sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

When I hear about kids calling their parents by their real names, I instantly think of The Modern Parents in Viz.

It's Ma and Da and always will be.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Then you have the Irish country tradition where the husband calls the wife Mammy all his married life.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

I called my dad daddy up until I was 25. Not even sorry

Did another man get bestowed the title at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

People who call their parents by their actual names give me a large dose of the shíts to be honest. Calling them Mam & Dad isn't some childish thing to grow out of, like believing in Santy. They are, and always will be your Mam & Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Many moons ago when I was meeting a junior infant parent in a bit of a rush, I asked the little fella "what's your mammy's name?"
    He looked at me like I was stupid and says "Ma".
    Says I "no, no what does daddy call mammy?" and, as innocent as could be, he says "a wagon"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

KoolKid wrote: »
    Then you have the Irish country tradition where the husband calls the wife Mammy all his married life.

My granda use to call my granny "aul nannier". Not out of affection or tradition though, just to annoy her which it did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Karmella

My almost 6 year old has been calling me by my name for almost a year now :rolleyes: I keep hoping it's just a phase and he'll grow out of it but it's not looking likely!! And as a result my 2 year old is also calling me by my name. I guess I'm destined to never be called mum ever again!!
    I get really embarrassed when we are out because I think that people are judging me ;) I'm not a new age hippy parent I swear!!!

Weirdly though they call their dad Daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

KoolKid wrote: »

My Dad did that :)
    Dad was always Dad, Mum is Mum. I can remember being half scandalised, half in awe as a child when a new family moved onto our road and the son called his parents by their first names. We are Mam and Dad, even to the eldest at 23. I prefer it to be honest, it would feel odd to be called by my first name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Ma and Pa for me and I'm well into my thirties.

The way I think of it is that there will be hundreds, maybe thousands of people who'll call you by your given name over your lifetime, but there are very very few who'll ever get to call you their Ma or their Pa so it's something to be valued and held on to. :o

Advertisement