Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you call your parents by their real name?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Both my parents have passed away. Reading this I have just realized myself, my brother and my sister all still refer to them as mam and dad in any conversation about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I don't call them Mam and Dad, that'd be weird.

I call them by their God given names....... Adolf and Eva.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Karmella wrote: »
    My almost 6 year old has been calling me by my name for almost a year now :rolleyes: I keep hoping it's just a phase and he'll grow out of it but it's not looking likely!! And as a result my 2 year old is also calling me by my name. I guess I'm destined to never be called mum ever again!!
    I get really embarrassed when we are out because I think that people are judging me ;) I'm not a new age hippy parent I swear!!!

Weirdly though they call their dad Daddy.

Maybe its time for a little gentle reminder, you can do it in a nice way. Just explain that you like to be called mummy (if thats what you really want ), and that its much better name than your real name and makes you happy, then (hopefully) they will start calling you mummy again :)

KoolKid wrote: »
    Then you have the Irish country tradition where the husband calls the wife Mammy all his married life.

i noticed the other day when our kids were in the room I said something to me wife and she ignored me and i went "isnt that right mum!" and that got her attention ... i think thats it now i am gonna be calling her mum a lot more often now :D

It always has been and always will be mammy and daddy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Karmella

Maybe its time for a little gentle reminder, you can do it in a nice way. Just explain that you like to be called mummy (if thats what you really want ), and that its much better name than your real name and makes you happy, then (hopefully) they will start calling you mummy again :)

Hah that would never work! I would be better off going the reverse psychology route and tell him that calling me mum would really annoy me & wreck my head. He'd probably start calling me it instantly :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

I'm lucky in that my mother is called Marmaduke and my dad is called darfur, so it's ma and da for short

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

They have passed on but it was always Ma and Da. My kids now say Mam and Dad. Its personal, nobody else has the good fortune to call me Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

KoolKid wrote: »
    Then you have the Irish country tradition where the husband calls the wife Mammy all his married life.

We have friends (a couple) and he calls her mammy and she calls him daddy even when they are out socially as a couple:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

Agricola wrote: »
    People who call their parents by their actual names give me a large dose of the shíts to be honest. Calling them Mam & Dad isn't some childish thing to grow out of, like believing in Santy. They are, and always will be your Mam & Dad.

I call my mum mum, I call the ould lad by his first name.
    I started doing it to annoy him and it's just habit now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

jluv wrote: »
    We have friends (a couple) and he calls her mammy and she calls him daddy even when they are out socially as a couple:eek:

Do they have kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I was out meeting an ex's family for the first time and her brothers wife started chatting then turned around and said "isn't that right Da Da" to her husband, I nearly choked on my food, it's what she called him everywhere and anywhere, I cringed, no one else batted an eyelid..

I call mine Mom & Dad....Ma really p***es her off, so she gets called that sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

oeb wrote: »
    Do they have kids?

No, that'd be weird :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

oeb wrote: »
    Do they have kids?

Yeah but mid teens...they're only late 40's...call each other by name when out socially! It's been said to them but they're so used to doing it, it's habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

They are my ma and da so that's what I call them. I know some people call their parents by their names but it is weird to me that people speak of 'growing out' of calling their parents by their titles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Mam and Daddy. What is really weird is my Mam has never ever called my dad by his first name and they've been married since 1970. Since I was small it was 'your father' or if talking to friends 'a's father'. Or simply introduce each other as husband/wife and let them proffer their name. I think it's because both use variations of their second name but use one professionally and one personally. Hence I was very purposefully given s name that cannot be shortened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I did if they stopped answering to mom and dad.

Da. Daaaa. Dad! DAD!! Daddy? Da. DA! Dadddddddddddy?
    FIRSTNAME!!!!
    I do this too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Mater and pater, *adjusts monocle*

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Our eldest called me "Jakey" since he started talking. I thought this was funny and a nice kind of different at first. By the time he was 5 I realised that most others, kids and parents, found this strange. Also, in some interactions I'm sure it made people assume I was an absentee father.

So I asked him to start calling me dad, which he was fine with. Problem was his mother continued referring to me as Jakey in her conversations with him. i.e. "ask Jakey" instead of "ask your dad". Took 3 years to finally get her out of the habit, at which time he finally changed. His siblings always said Dad.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Not a hope in hell. We would get the wooden spoon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Always called them Mam and Dad. Then a few years ago my Mother started minding a child, one day she called my Mother Mum and it took a bit of explaining that she wasn't. Then I started calling my Mum by her given name, which I only later found out wasn't her name!, and always felt weird. Have started calling her Mum again and it feels right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mammy and Daddy even though they are both dead years.

when growing up we were not allowed to call any adult by their first name or could expect a good talking to about respect for people who knew more than us because they were older and would always know more. It had to be Mr or Mrs and I remember a friend's mother telling me I could call her Margaret like my friend did but I told her I couldn't as it would be disrespectful and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. I was 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Pretty much always called them by their names, think I might have called the auld fella Dad until I was seven or so but he never got in the habit of answering to it so I got out of the habit of calling him by it. My mother's mother is called 'Mammy' by the whole family so I think that's why she was never Mammy.

An ex of my sister's met her and our father at the same time, became friends with both and then started sleeping with her without realising he was sleeping with his new friend's daughter and was morto, apart from that I don't think it's caused any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I call them mammy and daddy of course.sometimes I call my husband daddy if we are out with our children and he absolutely hates that haha,and another thing he hates it if I beckon him it makes me look like a really bossy wife

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It must be weird when you become a parent and you're no longer addressed by your name as you have been your whole life

wakka12 wrote: »
    It must be weird when you become a parent and you're no longer addressed by your name as you have been your whole life

You still are addressed by your real name as normal, normally, but not by your children :) its lovely feeling when they start to talk and first word is either mumma or dada

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭donegal_man

If I'm talking to them it's mum and dad, talking about them my mother and father or my parents. The day I hear one of mine refer to their mother or me as "the auld doll / fella" is the day I write them out of my will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

My children just call me mate or buddy and ask why I sit on a high horse all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

wakka12 wrote: »

If your other half calls you something like honey is that weird for you too? Would you correct him / her and tell them to address you by your name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭secman

Always called them mam and dad, my own kids call us ma and da. My father in law used to insist on me calling him by his first name as opposed to mr but it felt odd and rarely happened. But now my grandchild called herself nanny but always calls me by my name, and strangely it doesn't feel odd.

Advertisement