Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you call your parents by their real name?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

Saw this joke on twitter. Somewhat related.

What do they call Honda outside Ireland?
    Come on, father.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I call mine Mom and Dad.

My boyfriend has always called his parents and grandparents by their first names, always found it a bit strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

My parents are maw and paw when I'm talking to them. Can't remember why - some joke from years ago that stuck.

They're my mum and my dad - or my mommy (just always say that when talking about something sweet she did) when I'm talking about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Always Mum, always Dad, always Gran/Granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Just to further confuse the situation my mam is eldest of 7, 6 married. My dad calls my grandmother Mrs O'Neill, next three in laws call her Mam (which is odd, I think), one calls her by her first name, and one just doesn't refer to her by any name.

And I call her Nana as my Irish cousins but my Australian cousins call her Nanna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

This describes it for me. (24 seconds in)
    When I was little I thought the concept of a maiden name was hilarious.

Still ma and da for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

If your other half calls you something like honey is that weird for you too? Would you correct him / her and tell them to address you by your name?

Those are completely different things and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Edups wrote: »
    Those are completely different things and you know it.

How so? Only your kids call you mam or dad. Not everybody you know. Similarly, I presume only your other half would call you something like honey.

Neither mean anybody else stop calling you by your name like the poster I replied to implied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Almost 50 and still call my mam ,"mam" . Maybe I'm a different generation. My kids better never get it into their heads to call me by my name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

"Mammy and Daddy". I couldn't imagine calling them by their christian names, it would be weird.

"Granny and Grandad" for both sets of grandparents too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

We used their real names. Nothing trendy or right-on about it...we just started calling them by their names as mispronounced by young relatives as a bit of a joke when we were in our early teens. They didn't mind and it just caught on, everyone got used to it and we never stopped. I couldn't go back to Mammy, Mam or Ma, now, it would just feel too weird. One unexpected knock-on effect was that our kids call my mother by her first name too, but only because my wife and I always did. Their grand mother on their mother's side is "nana", though, and my wife and I are still "mom and dad". For now at least.

It amuses me though when people assume it's done to be different, arty or far-out, or make some kind of point, when in fact it just happened that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I sometimes call my dad by his name. Sometimes people have told him they think it's disrespectful but he replies 'It's my name, isn't it?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I find it strange when young children use their parents first names in public. It seems like the parents don't want to be connected to the child or don't want it to be known that they're parents at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

If your other half calls you something like honey is that weird for you too? Would you correct him / her and tell them to address you by your name?

No no thats fine its not weird for me, its just interesting for me to think about if I had children , that my name would just disappear for them , like you're just mum/dad to them til the day you die then! Its nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I'm a grown man and I still call my mother Мама! To me, calling your parents anything less seems very cold and in Russian culture it would be very disrespectful to address them by their first name. But of course it's whatever you're comfortable with that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Always called them by their first names.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

My MIL who is in her 80s and was born in Ireland ,but has lived in England since the early 50s always when referring to her late farther calls him daddy,I found this a bit strange at first but just put it down to being a Irish thing.
    I have heard English adults refer to there parent as mam, dad but not mummy ,daddy that would normally be only used by small children here, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Always called mine Mam& Dad. My OH calls his mam by her name as she was only 16 when she had him, so he grew up treating her more like a big sister.
    Grown ups calling their parents Mammy/Daddy always creeped me out.

Advertisement