Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When a pay rise is not a pay rise!

Options
  • 04-11-2016 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Evening all. I'll try keep it short & sweet.

We have been on a pay freeze since 2010 with our last pay raise in 2009 and the business we are in within a multinational brand have made huge profit year on year since and before the freeze dates.

As said I work for a multi national company and am part of the workers union, I received a union letter recently saying they have negotiated a 5% pay rise over 2 years and it is to balloted in the next week.

However the business who I work for and who are "part" of this group, i.e the company name is on our payslips, our email addresses and international annual bonus scheme have since informed the union that our pay issues are "separate" to the rest of the company.

They have constantly dismissed pay concerns through staff surveys over the past 4 years hence why the union is now trying to fight our cause.

Our union have said we now have a fight on our hands and that everyone paying into their union are all considered working for the one company and technically due this rise.

Basically our business is part of the big global brand company (where staff have got rises over the past 4 years!) when it suits them, surely all permanent employees should get the same rise and not be treated as second class workers?

I hope i explained this all ok and look forward to the replies. Our business has a union meeting very soon to discuss the above further.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

All I can add is that there is no responsibility on a company to pay everyone, even those on the same grades the same pay rise, there
    Is nothing that says that those doing the same job must get the same wage. However you'll usually find that in non unionised places, unions usually push for pay parity "comrades in arms" and all that jazz.

It seems your best bet is stick with the union and hopefully they will negotiate the raise for all employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

When the employer doesn't agree to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

wayne25 wrote: »
    They have constantly dismissed pay concerns through staff surveys over the past 4 years hence why the union is now trying to fight our cause.

Basically our business is part of the big global brand company (where staff have got rises over the past 4 years!) when it suits them, surely all permanent employees should get the same rise and not be treated as second class workers?

Staff pay concerns from surveys are irrelevant. Pay concerns only become an issue when it's difficult to recruit or retain staff. Is there a problem with keeping staff? Have you applied for jobs elsewhere and been offered more money?

As to the idea that all permanent workers should get the same payrise. Rubbish. Workers who have started adding more value are the ones who would typically be rewarded, not those who have simply got a year older and are still doing the same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The global scam that is globalisation. Best of luck with it op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Your union should be very clear on the scope of the original agreement, as to whether it includes your unit or not. Ask them for clarification in the first instance, and consider getting more involved in your union (shop steward or branch executive) if you want to influence future developments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 wayne25

Staff pay concerns from surveys are irrelevant. Pay concerns only become an issue when it's difficult to recruit or retain staff. Is there a problem with keeping staff? Have you applied for jobs elsewhere and been offered more money?

As to the idea that all permanent workers should get the same payrise. Rubbish. Workers who have started adding more value are the ones who would typically be rewarded, not those who have simply got a year older and are still doing the same old same old.

Year on year pay increases stopped in 2009 for us even though the business is busier than ever. The owning company likewise, so by giving increases to others who work for this parent company who "are their years and doing the same old" is a tad hypercritical.

As far as I'm concerned our union will succeed and the business kop out excuse of "having their own negations" is stupidity.

We are all one and for a global brand to still use the recession as an excuse to keep pay frozen in a hugely profitable industry is nonsense and staff should be rewarded in the resumption of the frozen year on year increases. Pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

I do agree with you on this. When people start leaving and when doing exit interviews and letting it be known money is an issue and they fail to recruit because of it then things may change

In an unionised job where everyone is on the same pay rates . Your best worker gets paid the same as your worst worker .

Sometimes it's perception on who adds the most value and doesn't always be your best workers who get rewarded most of the time your best workers get more work and your worst worst workers get less

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

In a global company the closest competitor an Irish employee has is an employee in a lower cost location. Regardless of the profits of the company, the global corporate can often make more profit by relocating some functions. It may well be in the best interests of the local company and workforce to keep costs (i.e. pay) at present levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

not sure what the OP is seeking here, its simple , either the company will award them a pay rise , or they and he will have to consider their options. Unless there is a specific agreement , there is no requirement for the company to pay anyone the same

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wayne25

Cheers for the advice everyone.

The company reply "We negotiate our own pay decisions" to our union is laughable seen as they've never 'negotiated' with any permanent staff in the last 7 years, who are they negotiating with I wonder? Certainly not us.

They have form of giving at least 3 staff members more "senior" roles office based, but are now on less monthly incomes than they were on before. Most have left these roles.

Total exploitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wayne25 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice everyone.

The company reply "We negotiate our own pay decisions" to our union is laughable seen as they've never 'negotiated' with any permanent staff in the last 7 years, who are they negotiating with I wonder? Certainly not us.

They have form of giving at least 3 staff members more "senior" roles office based, but are now on less monthly incomes than they were on before. Most have left these roles.

Total exploitation.

use to work for a large corporation, workmate was 'promoted' couple of years ago with a 'salary reduction'. you aint alone. thankfully he got redundancy a few weeks ago and is moving on with his life. best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You need to vote with your feet.

Advertisement