Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ballague now coming out with the brilliant spoof that Courtois quotes about his new contract is a "come and get me" plea by the Belgian to Real Madrid. :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Anyhow's Arsenal's lucky draw with us is in the past now and we can worry about them again next Wednesday now it is time to cage a few Canaries.

I wonder if the forgotten BabaII is fit if so might be worth giving him a shot on Saturday before his almost inevitable loan to Schalke he could well be suitable competition for Alonso.

No doubt big Willy will get a game. Hopefully Charly and Ampadu will get a run as well we have some really big games coming up be nice to give some of the players who had a busy Christmas a bit of rest before the CL and big PL games kick in again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Anyhow's Arsenal's lucky draw with us is in the past now and we can worry about them again next Wednesday now it is time to cage a few Canaries.

I wonder if the forgotten BabaII is fit if so might be worth giving him a shot on Saturday before his almost inevitable loan to Schalke he could well be suitable competition for Alonso.

No doubt big Willy will get a game. Hopefully Charly and Ampadu will get a run as well we have some really big games coming up be nice to give some of the players who had a busy Christmas a bit of rest before the CL and big PL games kick in again.

Conte said not too long ago that Baba suffered a few setbacks in his recovery, don't think it's likely he leaves on loan, and don't think he's ready yet. He would have been playing with the u23's by now if he was fit enough to return I'd say.

I forgot about Ampadu actually for the Norwich game.

He'll probably be left of the 3 CBs, cant see him lining out in CM in a 2.

Revised team to reflect that I forgot Ampadu :o

Willy
    Rudiger Luiz Ampadu
    Zappa Drinkwater Baka Kenedy
    Willian Michy Musonda

On those comments about Conte about transfers. I hope they were slightly taken out of context. That said, as a club, I see our model more in tune these days with Spurs/Arsenal in all honesty. We can't compete financially with City/United.

City beat us to a good few players this season, mainly wing backs, they even managed to sign Danilo ahead of us a backup (he may have been cover for us too). We couldn't even get Conte Llorente of all players over Spurs, apparently we wouldn't pay over £4m for him while they just paid the asking price.

I'm not asking for us to go crazy backing Conte, but show a little bit of faith, because I actually believe his aptitude has us punching slightly above our weight. There isn't much in the way of talent to replace him. Tuchel possibly, but he's even more temperamental.

Anyways the power balance at the club is funny now, usually it's the manager fearing for his life, but he seems to genuinely not be bothered about rumours of the sack get to him one bit, on the flip side, there are undertones of if you don't back me I'll walk. I think that's a first for a Chelsea manager.

I hope we pick it up a bit in the summer, or I can see him at PSG or Real Madrid.

Lukker- wrote: »
    On those comments about Conte about transfers. I hope they were slightly taken out of context. That said, as a club, I see our model more in tune these days with Spurs/Arsenal in all honesty. We can't compete financially with City/United.

City beat us to a good few players this season, mainly wing backs, they even managed to sign Danilo ahead of us a backup (he may have been cover for us too). We couldn't even get Conte Llorente of all players over Spurs, apparently we wouldn't pay over £4m for him while they just paid the asking price.

I'm not asking for us to go crazy backing Conte, but show a little bit of faith, because I actually believe his aptitude has us punching slightly above our weight. There isn't much in the way of talent to replace him. Tuchel possibly, but he's even more temperamental.

Anyways the power balance at the club is funny now, usually it's the manager fearing for his life, but he seems to genuinely not be bothered about rumours of the sack get to him one bit, on the flip side, there are undertones of if you don't back me I'll walk. I think that's a first for a Chelsea manager.

I hope we pick it up a bit in the summer, or I can see him at PSG or Real Madrid.

I actually see him in Munich come the kick off next season sadly. I have no idea who we can get to replace him of his quality.

I cant see many, if any players coming in January.

Mahrez would be ideal but could turn out to be unlikely.

As long as Conte finishes top 4 the club wont sack him, from there on it is up to the club to get some serious business done in the summer to keep Conte.

Conte said not too long ago that Baba suffered a few setbacks in his recovery, don't think it's likely he leaves on loan, and don't think he's ready yet. He would have been playing with the u23's by now if he was fit enough to return I'd say.

I reckon the only reason Kenedy was kept was because we couldnt get Sandro, or any other FB we went for in the summer and Rahman wasnt fit enough.

Otherwise he would have been turfed out by Conte. Same goes for Michy actually. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement

Last nights result isnt all that bad with Spurs dropping points.

Looks like new deals for TBO and Hazard.

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/949045524111482880

Getting them is a good foundation, we need to add 1 or 2 world class players and a few squad options in some positions to challenge at the very top level though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Looks like new deals for TBO and Hazard.

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/949045524111482880

Getting them is a good foundation, we need to add 1 or 2 world class players and a few squad options in some positions to challenge at the very top level though.

If we could tie them both to a long contract this window (Christensen as well), that'd do me. Chelsea aren't going to win the league, why bother signing average players for the sake of it, keep the real stars they have now happy, then go again in the summer.

Unless Cesc was whispering sweet nothings into Sanchez ears the other night and he wants to play in a team that at least has a sniff of winning a league in the future.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lots of stuff on Twitter last night and today that Conte looks set to leave for PSG(taken with a pinch of salt personally) and Ye are lining up Simeone to take over from him. Would ye lot be happy with him?

astradave wrote: »
    Lots of stuff on Twitter last night and today that Conte looks set to leave for PSG(taken with a pinch of salt personally) and Ye are lining up Simeone to take over from him. Would ye lot be happy with him?

It's v possible that Conte is planning on leaving but all links always come out when he says something slightly negative. It's all just a bit reactionary. I wouldn't mind Someone, he fits the profile of the club and is prob a similar level to Conte, but that said, I'm not the biggest fan of the way his teams play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well Wilshere would certainly have seen red and the Hazard penalty would have stood. Don't really understand the fuss re the penalty if you kick a player it is a foul. If that kick is in the penalty area then it is a penalty what really is the issue?

Hazard gets so little protection from refs he sometimes has to point things out away at West Brom they tried to kick him out of the game and he got no protection at all. And that game is far from isolated.

Similar incident in the Spurs match last night.
    Same type of incident, no penalty given.
    As Wenger said you could end up with 10 penalties every game if you give those.

• Advertisement

• astradave wrote: »

I'd be raging if that happens!

Similar incident in the Spurs match last night.
    Same type of incident, no penalty given.
    As Wenger said you could end up with 10 penalties every game if you give those.

So the answer is to let average players kick the creative player off the park and not to apply rules (kicking a player is a foul resulting in a direct free kick).

Interesting position not mine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

So the answer is to let average players kick the creative player off the park and not to apply rules (kicking a player is a foul resulting in a direct free kick).

Hold on.

If you go to kick the ball and kick a players heel by accident its always a foul????

Should be 100s of frees each match so.

I'm starting to warm to the Barkley deal. He's been a long term target and our scouting department has a proven track record. £15m is a snip in this market.

He won't be one to make an instant impact though as he is returning from injury. Prob get his game in the F.A Cup and get a few sub appearances in the league.

I'd leave RLC on loan at Palace next season if they stay up. 2 years playing should see solid progression.

• Advertisement

I'm starting to warm to the Barkley deal. He's been a long term target and our scouting department has a proven track record. £15m is a snip in this market.

He won't be one to make an instant impact though as he is returning from injury. Prob get his game in the F.A Cup and get a few sub appearances in the league.

I'd leave RLC on loan at Palace next season if they stay up. 2 years playing should see solid progression.

the 15 mill is down to him potentially going for nothing in the summer , just surprised that there aren't a few other in at that price but he has been out with an injury for quite a while

The use of the words "average" and "creative" are unnecessary here.
    It was a ball in the air that two players tried to kick at the same time. Not always a free-kick and not always given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

The use of the words "average" and "creative" are unnecessary here.
    It was a ball in the air that two players tried to kick at the same time. Not always a free-kick and not always given.

But when another player gets to the ball first and the other player is "late" and kicks the the first player it is a free. I can't see how it's a debate!

It wouldnt be the end of the world, I'd hate if Conte left, even more so than Mourinho but some how the Chelsea model of sacking managers every 2 years still leads to success, it shouldnt but we've managed to get away with it for the past 15 years or so.

Simeone is a winner so its likely that if Conte left, Simeones would win trophies with us too before moving oin again in 2 or 3 years and the cycle would continue.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    But when another player gets to the ball first and the other player is "late" and kicks the the first player it is a free. I can't see how it's a debate!
    It's a debate because they're not usually given like that. The one last night for instance was not given and there are countless others.

I think the 352 will see him play and alternate with Bakayoko in the more advanced CM role. I cant see him playing wide in 343 or in a 2 man cm in that formation.

15m is roughly half what we were in for only 4 months ago, granted he'd be free in another 5 months but at that rate youd have more clubs in for him, best to wrap up a deal and get him up to fitness ASAP.

I reckon though its a board signing and not a Conte one but its bringing in more bodies.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    It wouldnt be the end of the world, I'd hate if Conte left, even more so than Mourinho but some how the Chelsea model of sacking managers every 2 years still leads to success, it shouldnt but we've managed to get away with it for the past 15 years or so.

Simeone is a winner so its likely that if Conte left, Simeones would win trophies with us too before moving oin again in 2 or 3 years and the cycle would continue.

I suppose he would bring a similar enough style of play to ye too, based on solid defence and good work ethic, I’d say he would have the likes of Hazard and William, especially, flying with the counters, I’m a big fan of counter attacking football, probably why I am delighted with having Jose at United as when it works it’s a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You'd wonder what the likes of Drinkwater would think of this signing. Definitely worth it at the price but is it a problem position for Chelsea? Not for me. Depending on the style of play you are asking Kante to do an awful lot in a 2 man midfield.

I suppose he would bring a similar enough style of play to ye too, based on solid defence and good work ethic, I’d say he would have the likes of Hazard and William, especially, flying with the counters, I’m a big fan of counter attacking football, probably why I am delighted with having Jose at United as when it works it’s a thing of beauty.

Ya, the truly big clubs will always win things because the squad will have enough talent in it that the players will adapt to the manager and if not, the manager will have enough money in the bank to bring in a few of his own players to get the job done.

I reckon if the club doesnt back Conte in the summer he'll walk, every season after winning a league going back to Jose in 06, we never added enough to the squad and we've not retained it since, Carlo needed more players, didnt get it and was sacked 12 months later, Jose did too and he was sacked with us down in 16th.

Liam O wrote: »
    You'd wonder what the likes of Drinkwater would think of this signing. Definitely worth it at the price but is it a problem position for Chelsea? Not for me. Depending on the style of play you are asking Kante to do an awful lot in a 2 man midfield.

Barkley wont start if we play 343, hes not good enoug in the support roles, well, not better than Hazard, Pedro or Willian.

He has a chance to play in the 352 but it would be Kante, partnered by Drinkwater or Cesc and then Bakayoko or Barkley for the "free" CM role.

Thats where I se him playing anyway, cant imagine Bakayoko and Barkley would start in the same team.

• Advertisement

Ya, the truly big clubs will always win things because the squad will have enough talent in it that the players will adapt to the manager and if not, the manager will have enough money in the bank to bring in a few of his own players to get the job done.

I reckon if the club doesnt back Conte in the summer he'll walk, every season after winning a league going back to Jose in 06, we never added enough to the squad and we've not retained it since, Carlo needed more players, didnt get it and was sacked 12 months later, Jose did too and he was sacked with us down in 16th.

12 years and you would think that the board/Roman would know by now that you need to freshen things up to keep the players motivated. Fergie was the master at it, bringing in 2/3 players to keep the others on their toes

It's a debate because they're not usually given like that. The one last night for instance was not given and there are countless others.

I agree that there not always given but that doesn't make it not a penalty, we have all been both victims and beneficiaries of penalties not given.
    Fact of the matter is that a foul is a foul no matter where it is committed but more oft than not fouls inside the box can get overlooked because the referee isn't 100% so doesn't feel confident to give the decision. Hazard was fouled the referee seen it and gave the penalty, really can't see why there's a problem.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I agree that there not always given but that doesn't make it not a penalty, we have all been both victims and beneficiaries of penalties not given.
    Fact of the matter is that a foul is a foul no matter where it is committed but more oft than not fouls inside the box can get overlooked because the referee isn't 100% so doesn't feel confident to give the decision. Hazard was fouled the referee seen it and gave the penalty, really can't see why there's a problem.
    I've rarely seen them given so it's not the norm. Last night the ref had a better view and didn't give it.

It works because the club has a vision for the type of players/club we want to be that goes beyond the current manager. It's a bit more European way of doing things, but it's why we've remained so competitive through frequent changes, because there is still a consistency there. Even the managers backroom staff is quite small compared to other clubs, coaches come and go but much of the technical staff stay the same, that's our continuity.

I think that's why clubs like United have struggled since SAF left too. Given the manager that much control doesn't really work anymore because the game is more short sighted.

12 years and you would think that the board/Roman would know by now that you need to freshen things up to keep the players motivated. Fergie was the master at it, bringing in 2/3 players to keep the others on their toes

Thats why Fergie was the last manager to retain the league, nearly a decade ago.

I've always said it, winning the league is extremely difficult but retaining it is nearly impossible.

He's not going to be competing with Drinkwater. I'm certain he'll be delployed further forward, in a no.10 role, or even on the wing in a 343

I've rarely seen them given so it's not the norm. Last night the ref had a better view and didn't give it.

Do you agree that bellerin kicked hazard after the ball was gone?

Thats why Fergie was the last manager to retain the league, nearly a decade ago.

I've always said it, winning the league is extremely difficult but retaining it is nearly impossible.

City's project is long term and they will definitely be favourites next season. The coaching staff/technical director/board are all on the same page there and they are the richest club in the world. It's a massive task to displace them.

Didn't see the game last night so can't comment on that.
    Its a debate because referee's are inconsistent in how they apply rules for instance Spurs got away with two really bad tackles in the City game that most normal people would have thought were straight reds.
    Mane (correctly) gets a red for high foot against City but a quite similar incident in the City Spurs game (City player on a Spurs player can't remember names) gets a yellow.
    Defender holds back a striker in the penalty area at a corner nothing given, striker holds back a defender in the penalty area at a corner free out.

Lets face it Mason is a poor ref he sent Moses off for diving in the FA Cup final (stupid thing for Moses to do on a yellow) and he bottles the Wilshire decision on Wednesday. Cesc got a yellow for an excellent tackle Chambers pulls back Morata and gets away with just a free kick - that is supposed to be an automatic yellow which may have seen him see red a few minutes later for a really bad foul.

There are always inconsistencies but if you commit a foul then there is always a chance the referee will actually give it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He's not going to be competing with Drinkwater. I'm certain he'll be delployed further forward, in a no.10 role, or even on the wing in a 343

Barkley is very wasteful in a no.10 role. I feel he'd make a good box to box player beside another box to box and with someone behind them doing the dirty work. Wanted him at United to play beside Pogba and Matic for this reason. Just don't see how he fits in with Chelsea given the players there and the formation.

Ya, as I said, if its a 352, he'll be competiting with Baka for the free, breaking forward type role in the 3 man CM.

I dont think he'll play in the 343, hes not good enough as a winger. I dont think so anyway, I'd prefer Willian or Pedro on the right and hes never going to shift Hazard from the left.

At the minute Bakayoko is just not working for me, he was very wasteful on Wednesday again. The upside is if we sign Berekley and he is fit then he adds depth and is eligible to play in all competitions for us in the second half of the season - maybe a debut on Wednesday against Arsenal who knows.

At the minute Bakayoko is just not working for me, he was very wasteful on Wednesday again. The upside is if we sign Berekley and he is fit then he adds depth and is eligible to play in all competitions for us in the second half of the season - maybe a debut on Wednesday against Arsenal who knows.

Ya, Bakayoko has massive potential though, I dont think the attacking side of his game is good enough, it wasnt what he was doing at Monaco so hes going to take time to adapt to his role.

Barkley is more capable in that side of things so its always good to have more options.

I'm not sure how fit he is, you'd have to ask the Everton lads but I reckon if hes not fully fit, hes not far off it and should feature in at least the 2nd leg att he end of the month.

Now just go out and sign Mahrez too and it will be a good window.

As long as Adny Carroll isnt signed I'll be delighted.

Currently I don't get why Baka and Kante don't swap positions. It worked really well vs. Atletico but in my memory that's the only game where Baka played the holding role and Kante B2B

• Advertisement

We desperately need a striker it is clear Michy is not trusted and Morata has certain issues. Whatever the striking question is Carroll is not the answer.

Currently I don't get why Baka and Kante don't swap positions. It worked really well vs. Atletico but in my memory that's the only game where Baka played the holding role and Kante B2B

Bakas nearly as bad as Morata for missing chances, hes got into some great positions and has been found by Cesc and the likes and hes fluffed his lines quiet a few times.

Still though, hes young and is adapting to a new team and role within it, I'm confident he'll come good.

The signing of Barkley though, if it does go through will probably mean the end of RLC at the club, sadly.

We desperately need a striker it is clear Michy is not trusted and Morata has certain issues. Whatever the striking question is Carroll is not the answer.

Whats Drogba doing at the moment? :o

JFH still looks fit saw Guddy on TV over Christmas he might still do a job (though it is difficult to get over him going to Spurs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Just don't see how he fits in with Chelsea given the players there and the formation.

Agree 100%
    He doesn't fit in, board have seen the potential profit and it's their usual "just sign someone" transfer window dealing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement