Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Should that Conte high five not be in the opening post of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

All Chelsea do is park the bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

League_Table_1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Just back from the bridge, some atmosphere over in Fulham tonight! I don't think I've ever seen such enthusiasm after a game and I've seen a couple of high scoring victories there over the last few years. The thing that struck me most was the speed that the back 3 changed to a flat back 5 as soon as possession was conceded.
    Serious confidence building within the squad week after week, never even looked like conceding today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Amazing performance- serious title contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

We'd have to go back a few seasons to see a Chelsea swagger of such epic proportions.
    Every single player was on top form.
    Even Cahill!
    Conte, I don't know what you're doing, but it's working. Hazard, Costa and Pedro looked like three absolute weapons.
    Alonso and Moses are unbeatable out in wing backs. Matic has rediscovered his form, Kante has walked into the team and has become it's engine.
    Luiz mops up all before him, Dave can be successful anywhere in the back line such is his versatility, Cahill has an air of captain confident about him and TBo...well hes had to do SFA such is the abundance of talent in front of him.

The swagger is back, yes yes, the swagga is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭chelseaaremagic

I have not felt this good since 19th of may 2012 (and ireland beat the all blacks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Most attractive football I think I've ever seen us play. I certainly never saw us completely dominate a match against a decent team like that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

justshane wrote: »
    Most attractive football I think I've ever seen us play. I certainly never saw us completely dominate a match against a decent team like that before.
    It was the link up play.
    Passing from mid field to the three boys. We owned them today. Each and every player did well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

The game yesterday was a million miles from anything last season.

Jose who ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

That was a phenomenal performance. We won practically every ball. Everton never completely lost their shape or composure, but they just weren't able to compete. We deserved every goal based on our play, but in the end I don't think Everton deserved that result (a couple of those goals looked offside to me). Still, let's take it! And the latest clean sheet!!

We've got to seriously consider being title contenders now. We don't have a congested fixture list, so we can prepare better than most of our rivals. It will be a challenge to maintain that intensity (for all 90 minutes last night) all season, particularly with certain squad shortcomings, and we'll need to ride our luck with injuries. But if we can bag better results against other contenders from hereonin, and keep the intensity up, we've got to believe the title is possible. And after that, who knows what.

One caveat. Let's not get too cocky. There was an attempt to play out of defence around 55 minutes which was just too cavalier, and could have easily gone wrong. Keep the focus though and we're going to be the team to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Barr wrote: »
    The game yesterday was a million miles from anything last season.

Jose who ? :pac:

I'll never say 'Jose who' myself (I know you're joking!), but in retrospect Abramovich was right. Jose lost the dressingroom in a pretty bad way. There are great players in the squad who just disappeared last season, and it wasn't all their fault.

Conte has transpired to be an inspired choice. Credit due to those who got him on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

McDave wrote: »
    I'll never say 'Jose who' myself (I know you're joking!), but in retrospect Abramovich was right. Jose lost the dressingroom in a pretty bad way. There are great players in the squad who just disappeared last season, and it wasn't all their fault.

Conte has transpired to be an inspired choice. Credit due to those who got him on board.

The Inspirational One !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I'd agree that with no Europe games this season is a real advantage. It should give the edge in the league.

Fewer games really seem to suit Costa , if he was playing more than once a week gauaranteed he'd be after picking up an injury by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Pool have also no European football so theyre going be up around the title positions too.

The transformation though by Conte is amazing compared to say Klopp, for instance.

Its taken Pool about 12months to bed down his style of football and what he wants in an effectivr format, Contes done in a quarter of the time, granted a more talented squad has helped but if you look at Utd theyre still struggling for an sort of blue print for Joses football, even Pep has City playing his way even if it has come iff he rails of late in the league.

Im still cautios, the international break might kill the confidence we have and the run we started so the next couple of games against Spurs and City are huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

That'll do!! Still top.

Johner wrote: »
    That'll do!! Still top.

Cmon on watford :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Cmon on watford :pac:

Watford are brutal :pac:

Great weekend though, finishing up 2nd before the international break and looking the most impressive side in England.

Ill take that :)

Getting withdrawal symptoms already. :o

Next game is 13 days away, we're travelling to a not to shabby 'Boro side.

Given our record up north the laast few years against Sunderland and Newcastle has been very poor, I wouldnt be putting this game in the "banker" category at all.

The International break cam eat the worse time possible for us, the momentum we have in the last few weeks would have carried us for a few weeks but the squad has been broke up for international duty. I only hope that we get no injuries on international duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Well that was nice never saw that coming after the dire performances against Liverpool and Arsenal.

But whilst perhaps the team was never really that bad we should not get carried away with the performance on Saturday, excellent though it was the squad is thin. Costa, Hazard and Kante are making us tick at the minute, now whilst Hazard is irreplaceable with the form he is in at the moment (if he stays fit and in that humour we make top 4 no problem) when we were 5 up with 25 minutes to go the Batman and Chalobah should have been brought on at that point. Now I understand Oscar he has not played much and needed a run but bringing Batman on with 8 minutes to go was a wasted opportunity. But not as daft as bringing JT on 2 minutes later - why? I would imagine when Zouma is fit he takes JT's place on the bench for me both Chalobah and Batman should have been on with 25 minutes to go get a proper run.

Thats the negative the positives ware the performance really good without a doubt and what can you say about Dave that must be the best ST£7m we have ever spent not just an extremely solid defender but excellent distributor of the ball. Also our 4th goal that is one of the best I have ever seen and will take something spectacular for it not to be goal of the season just fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Well that was nice never saw that coming after the dire performances against Liverpool and Arsenal.

But whilst perhaps the team was never really that bad we should not get carried away with the performance on Saturday, excellent though it was the squad is thin. Costa, Hazard and Kante are making us tick at the minute, now whilst Hazard is irreplaceable with the form he is in at the moment (if he stays fit and in that humour we make top 4 no problem) when we were 5 up with 25 minutes to go the Batman and Chalobah should have been brought on at that point. Now I understand Oscar he has not played much and needed a run but bringing Batman on with 8 minutes to go was a wasted opportunity. But not as daft as bringing JT on 2 minutes later - why? I would imagine when Zouma is fit he takes JT's place on the bench for me both Chalobah and Batman should have been on with 25 minutes to go get a proper run.

Thats the negative the positives ware the performance really good without a doubt and what can you say about Dave that must be the best ST£7m we have ever spent not just an extremely solid defender but excellent distributor of the ball. Also our 4th goal that is one of the best I have ever seen and will take something spectacular for it not to be goal of the season just fantastic.

aaaaaahhhh here , i know its monday but ......no moaning

Well thats it, outside the starting XI, other than the attacking 3 roles, our options are limited enough, we've no cover for Alonso if he gets injured/suspended, unless we shift Aina or Azp over there, or play Pedro at WB.

Still though, if it takes a humbling 3-0 at the Emirates to turn around the season and make us top 4 candidates, I'll take that 3-0 every year.

The subs were a tad baffling but while they looked like wasted subs, 5-0 flatters Everton, we hit the post and forced Steklenburg into a further 3 saves and thats before we mention Costas 2 wasted chances when 1 on 1 against him.

It could have been 7 or 8 on another day and it wouldnt have been undeserved, Everton tried to match us up player for player, like West Ham but the team we threw out against West Ham wont be the starting XI.

Spurs played a 3 at the back against Arsenal and West Ham are now playing a 3-4-3 and Everton trioed it for 35 mins, all with mixed results.

I dont think the other teams will have as much joy with it as Conte has so quickly, hes coached it at Juve for long enough to know whats good and whats bad.

A worrying thing though is with Moses going to the ACON, you're taking out a vital cog in the Chelsea team, who'd have guessed that was the case 12 months ago, hell even 6 months ago that would be the case.

peteeeed wrote: »

Whats impressive was that Everton had no attempts until Mirallas header in the 70 something minute from a corner, it nearly looped in but other than that, they barely got out of their half.

Th possesion stats suggest a 60/40 split but I dont remember Everton with much of the ball in any dangerous areas really.

Sometimes you dominate a game for large periods but to do it for 90mins was very impressive, it was also against a team that had up until yesterday, the 2nd best defensive record in the league.

Only Spurs have a better defensive record than Everton right now and they remain unbeaten but theyve 0 cutting edge at the moment and it took another penalty for them to get anything out of the NLD which was a pretty dire game itself.

We've a tough run until the end of the year,

Boro - A
    Spurs - H
    City - A
    WBA - H
    Sunderland - A
    Palace - A
    Bournemouth - H
    Stoke - H

If we get through the Spurs/City double header undefeated we'll be doing very well and should be in the mix up until January as theres enough winnable games in there to keep us propped up.

It will be interesting to see if Willian can do the Moses role, and yes isn't it weird to talk about Moses being critical kudos to him for hanging in there though. Of course we could shift Dave out there and play Zouma at CB but Dave will not offer the same attacking threat as Moses, however as Nigeria did not qualify for the ACN we should be OK :D

Top 4 is still the goal this season the league is very even with no team running away with anything with Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, United, City and Liverpool still in the mix for the CL places.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Well thats it, outside the starting XI, other than the attacking 3 roles, our options are limited enough, we've no cover for Alonso if he gets injured/suspended, unless we shift Aina or Azp over there, or play Pedro at WB.

Still though, if it takes a humbling 3-0 at the Emirates to turn around the season and make us top 4 candidates, I'll take that 3-0 every year.

The subs were a tad baffling but while they looked like wasted subs, 5-0 flatters Everton, we hit the post and forced Steklenburg into a further 3 saves and thats before we mention Costas 2 wasted chances when 1 on 1 against him.

It could have been 7 or 8 on another day and it wouldnt have been undeserved, Everton tried to match us up player for player, like West Ham but the team we threw out against West Ham wont be the starting XI.

Spurs played a 3 at the back against Arsenal and West Ham are now playing a 3-4-3 and Everton trioed it for 35 mins, all with mixed results.

I dont think the other teams will have as much joy with it as Conte has so quickly, hes coached it at Juve for long enough to know whats good and whats bad.

A worrying thing though is with Moses going to the ACON, you're taking out a vital cog in the Chelsea team, who'd have guessed that was the case 12 months ago, hell even 6 months ago that would be the case.

Nigeria didn't qualify

Well f**k me, we're going to win the league now that Moses isnt off on a knees up in Africa. :pac:

Our year lads, our year.

It will be interesting to see if Willian can do the Moses role, and yes isn't it weird to talk about Moses being critical kudos to him for hanging in there though. Of course we could shift Dave out there and play Zouma at CB but Dave will not offer the same attacking threat as Moses, however as Nigeria did not qualify for the ACN we should be OK :D

Top 4 is still the goal this season the league is very even with no team running away with anything with Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, United, City and Liverpool still in the mix for the CL places.

6 teams, 4 places, something has to give.

I'd agree with the sentiment of nobody running away with it, City have dropped some stupid points already and even we drew with Swansea, well, were robbed against Swansea.

Theres many twists and turns yet in the season yet but we're in a good position playing well and its a massive improvement on the last 12months.

Not sure who but I sort of expect one team to emerge from the pack and win it with a game or two inhand.

Spurs are not playing well with only 1 win in 5 but they are resilient and grinding out results to concede only 6 goals in 11 games is impressive.
    Liverpool are the opposite almost on the we will score more than you tactics
    City I thought would be more consistent 1 win in 5 is not great form - but every team has a rocky patch
    Arsenal seem to be on the money away from home
    United very inconsistent and also only 1 win in 5

Shaping up to be a classic season

Not sure who but I sort of expect one team to emerge from the pack and win it with a game or two inhand.

Spurs are not playing well with only 1 win in 5 but they are resilient and grinding out results to concede only 6 goals in 11 games is impressive.
    Liverpool are the opposite almost on the we will score more than you tactics
    City I thought would be more consistent 1 win in 5 is not great form - but every team has a rocky patch
    Arsenal seem to be on the money away from home
    United very inconsistent and also only 1 win in 5

Shaping up to be a classic season

We've the best home record of any team thats played 6 games or more at home.

Pool are the only side on 5 home games who could better our home record.

No team in the top 5 has lost as many games as us and of our rivals, only Utd have lost more (3).

I cant see anyone doing a Chelsea of 2014/15 and running away with it from pretty much this spot, it'll be more liek last year, very close up until late MArch and maybe someone will emerge with half a dozen games left and kick on.

If we're still in the chasing pack at that stage I'll be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'm not worried about losing momentum, the players look so comfortable with this formation and it's growing every game. I'm worried about injuries though. Without Costa or Hazard we'd struggle for goals or creativity. Without Kante or Matic, no balance in midfield, Alonso, zero cover at LWB, maybe Aina. Moses, I think we could play Willian there, and Dave could step up but I think he's better as part of the back 3. Luiz is so important for our general play as well as the defense.

It's just one game isn't? Fingers crossed everyone gets through unscathed.

wayne bridge going into the jungle in that sh!te show on itv

peteeeed wrote: »
    wayne bridge going into the jungle in that sh!te show on itv

Good riddance hate that programme and his presence helps that along

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'm not worried about losing momentum, the players look so comfortable with this formation and it's growing every game. I'm worried about injuries though. Without Costa or Hazard we'd struggle for goals or creativity. Without Kante or Matic, no balance in midfield, Alonso, zero cover at LWB, maybe Aina. Moses, I think we could play Willian there, and Dave could step up but I think he's better as part of the back 3. Luiz is so important for our general play as well as the defense.

It's just one game isn't? Fingers crossed everyone gets through unscathed.

Ya, its only the one game so theres less chance of someone getting injured.

I'm not even sure whos gone away with their countries but Hazard and Costa would be two huge blows if they pick up injuries in the long term.

Batshuayi really needs more than 10mins here and there too although in Costas form, he cant be dropped at all costs.

If its not too much hassle, if Vertonghen and Rose could pick up a yellow each in Spurs next game it would help us out when we play them, only if Costa can avoid a yellow against Boro though. :o

The deadline for a 1 match ban for 5 yellows isnt until 31st December so Costa will be banned before the end of the year, I'm just hoping we have him for the Spurs and City games.

I'm going call the top 6 now.
    1. Man City
    2. Arsenal
    3. Chelsea
    4. Liverpool
    5. Utd
    6. Spurs

While nothing revolutinary, I do, at the very least, expect Spurs to drop out, they've a good squad but nothing brilliant.

Last years failure by nearly every big team helped them push up the table and flattered their position, they were much better with AVB and Bale than they are with Poch and Kane but faced a tougher league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Hazard, Pedro and Costa brought back flashbacks of Duff, Robben and Drogba

Hazard, Pedro and Costa brought back flashbacks of Duff, Robben and Drogba

Since we were formed in the the summer of 2003, whos been our best XI?

(this is what international breaks do to ya) :pac:

Using Contes formation because we all know its by far the greatest formation ever, try and pick the best Chelsea side since we were formed.

Cech

JT
    Luiz
    Carvalho

Ferriera----Ballack----Lampard
    Cole

---Robben
    Drogba----Hazard

I reckon that team, all in their prime would be pretty near unstoppable.

Few issues, RWB is a serious let down and CM is questionable, not in terms of ability but if it would work. Makelele could have been picked for either role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gav not having Makelele should be a bannable offence.

Since we were formed in the the summer of 2003, whos been our best XI?

(this is what international breaks do to ya) :pac:

Using Contes formation because we all know its by far the greatest formation ever, try and pick the best Chelsea side since we were formed.

Cech

JT
    Luiz
    Carvalho

Ferriera----Ballack----Lampard
    Cole

---Robben
    Drogba----Hazard

I reckon that team, all in their prime would be pretty near unstoppable.

Few issues, RWB is a serious let down and CM is questionable, not in terms of ability but if it would work. Makelele could have been picked for either role.
    Ballack over makele or Essien ? You're high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Turtwig wrote: »
    Gav not having Makelele should be a bannable offence.

At least he should be un-modded

We including current players?
    Dave before Paulo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I thought Essien at his peak was the best midfielder we've had in the last 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

justshane wrote: »
    I thought Essien at his peak was the best midfielder we've had in the last 15 years.

More Makalele bashing??

Pick yere own teams ye brats :pac:

Panthro wrote: »
    We including current players?
    Dave before Paulo

At RWB weve only had Moses though and Id prefer Moses over Azp for his attacking ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Chelsea transfer news: Mikel John Obi will not be offered new Stamford Bridge deal and could leave in January.

Chelsea are poised to tell Mikel John Obi that this is his last season at Stamford Bridge after a decade at the club. Mikel’s contract expires in the summer and sources at the club have told Standard Sport they will not be giving him a new one.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-transfer-news-mikel-john-obi-will-not-be-offered-new-stamford-bridge-deal-and-could-leave-in-a3386961.html

Shocking shocking stuff

Crazy stuff in the checkatrade trophy currently on the 16th round of penalties.

Chelsea win 13-12

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Chelsea transfer news: Mikel John Obi will not be offered new Stamford Bridge deal and could leave in January.

Chelsea are poised to tell Mikel John Obi that this is his last season at Stamford Bridge after a decade at the club. Mikel’s contract expires in the summer and sources at the club have told Standard Sport they will not be giving him a new one.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-transfer-news-mikel-john-obi-will-not-be-offered-new-stamford-bridge-deal-and-could-leave-in-a3386961.html

I doubt the standard have "sources" but it is about time Mikel fecked off.

Brilliant servant for the club and hes won it all and then some but time to let the younger guys through.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement