Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Since we were formed in the the summer of 2003, whos been our best XI?

(this is what international breaks do to ya) :pac:

Using Contes formation because we all know its by far the greatest formation ever, try and pick the best Chelsea side since we were formed.

Cech

JT
    Luiz
    Carvalho

Ferriera----Ballack----Lampard
    Cole

---Robben
    Drogba----Hazard

I reckon that team, all in their prime would be pretty near unstoppable.

Few issues, RWB is a serious let down and CM is questionable, not in terms of ability but if it would work. Makelele could have been picked for either role.

No sideshow Marcel instead.
    Tight between Jimmy, Drogs, Costa and Guddy
    Claude over Ballack
    Would nearly play Essien at RWB just to get him in the XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Of our first team squad, 4 players are yet to play this year.

Zouma, Mikel, Eduardo and Solanke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Ballack was unreal lads, we've been blessed with some serious central midfielders in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Cheeky little stat:

https://twitter.com/WhoScored/status/796295014405971968

But he doesn't work for the team...?

Lukker- wrote: »
    Cheeky little stat:

https://twitter.com/WhoScored/status/796295014405971968

But he doesn't work for the team...?

If he keeps going at this rate he'll surpass his POTY season when we walked the title.

Good signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Can Neutrals Make a team? :)

- Cech-

Azpilicueta, Terry, Carvalho, Cole
    ----Makelele, Essein----
    ---Deco
    Robben, Hazard,
    ---Drogba

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Turtwig wrote: »
    Can Neutrals Make a team? :)

- Cech-

Azpilicueta, Terry, Carvalho, Cole
    ----Makelele, Essein----
    ---Deco
    Robben, Hazard,
    ---Drogba

Not if you put Deco in it and leave out Lampard.

Saw today that John Motson called our performance against Everton the best he's ever seen in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

TimRiggins wrote: »

Saw today that John Motson called our performance against Everton the best he's ever seen in the Premiership.

John Motson is a lifelong Chelsea fan, so slightly biased

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

According to Wiki Motson is a life long Barnet fan from a rugby and jolly hockey sticks background - either way it was supurb but history now. Well it would be but of course we ain't got no history :pac::pac:

Yeah I thought it was going abit far myself but who am I too question John! It was a fantastic performance but as you said its only one game. The Spurs and City games will show us what this team is made of. Being linked with Bonnuci and Verrati today. Seems that Conte does has the backing of Roman now which is a good thing.

• Advertisement

Think thats just international break bo**ocks talk, Verratti is one of the best around and PSG would be mad to sell him at any price.

Unless of course the pull of Conte and Luiz is something that would interest him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

duploelabs wrote: »
    John Motson is a lifelong Chelsea fan, so slightly biased

i heard he was but some say he's ipswich

Motson is also a pretty dire commentator now on MOTD.

He should have gave it up when he retired from doing live games a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

According to Wiki Motson is a life long Barnet fan from a rugby and jolly hockey sticks background - either way it was supurb but history now. Well it would be but of course we ain't got no history :pac::pac:

Not a Barnet fan I don't think but he is very fond of them as he started his career in journalism reporting on their games for the Barnet Press.

I've noticed he always seems to take a negative stance when it comes to Arsenal, but maybe that's just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Motson is also a pretty dire commentator now on MOTD.

He should have gave it up when he retired from doing live games a few years back.

I find his style/delivery very annoying and agree he needs to hang up the sheepskin.

Costas out of the Spain squad with a groin injury. Hoping its not much and just left go home as a precaution.

Hazard limped off for Belgium too.

Losing both of them for any long period would be a disaster.

As much as I realise Lampard is a club legend and a terrific player. Deco in his prime linking up would that front three would be far more lethal. With the two rocks behind him I just couldn't find a way to accommodate Lampard into the team.

As much as I realise Lampard is a club legend and a terrific player. Deco in his prime linking up would that front three would be far more lethal. With the two rocks behind him I just couldn't find a way to accommodate Lampard into the team.

The lampard who's the highest scoring midfielder in premier league history, that one? Yeah he's not lethal at all

The lampard who's the highest scoring midfielder in premier league history, that one? Yeah he's not lethal at all

Only Cole, Rooney and Shearer have more goals than him.

I cant imagine a best XI that doesnt include Lampard.

I'm pretty sure on Giggs has more assists than him too in the leagues history.

• Advertisement

actually on Lamps, of the players stil in the league over 100 goals, Defoe might catch him if he plays another 2 or 3 years, same goes for Aguero actually if he averages about 20 goals a year.

Agueros goals stand at 110 goals in 159 games.

Costas is currently on 41 goals in 65 games.

Not bad going for Costa, whos missed 12 games in his first year and 10 games last year.

Never said Lampard wasn't lethal. Meant that I felt Deco would make the front three more lethal. :p

If it was purely a best XI I'd have Lampard in there ahead of Deco, it's just that I was going for the best balanced team too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Does Duff make nobodies 11? A player who outshined Robben in their time together imo.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Does Duff make nobodies 11? A player who outshined Robben in their time together imo.

Not for me anyway, I dont think Duffs peak can compare with Robben. At Chelsea they were very similar and only played together for 2 years at the club.

Robben had more league goals, IIRC but Duff had more in the cups, without either really setting the world on fire, Duff was also a few years older than Robben and well used to the English league at that stage. Robbens also gone on to achieve a brilliant and succesful career in the game.

Joe Cole was another I'd hold in higher regard than Duff too but thats not discounting the fantastic years Duff had for Chelsea and had many a fine moment in blue.

Given that it's using the current formation, this is my pick (Yes I know there's no JT but he hasn't the speed for the current formation)

Cech
    Dave Luiz Carvalho
    Robben Lampard Claude A.Cole
    Anelka Drogba Hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Cech
    Desailly jt lebouf
    Petrescu wise lampard Cole
    Zola drogba hazard

Can't pick a proper wing back so I'd move petrescu to the right or maybe ferreria.

• Advertisement

Never said Lampard wasn't lethal. Meant that I felt Deco would make the front three more lethal. :p

If it was purely a best XI I'd have Lampard in there ahead of Deco, it's just that I was going for the best balanced team too. :)

Deco was poor in a Chelsea shirt aside from his first 2 months.

Deco was poor in a Chelsea shirt aside from his first 2 months.

I disagree. He put in some top class performances for Carlo. Especially in the diamond

Turtwig wrote:
    Azpilicueta, Terry, Carvalho, Cole ----Makelele, Essein---- ---Deco Robben, Hazard, ---Drogba

Deco is way off but hard disagree with that team otherwise. It's so hard to call between Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Ballack in those 3 midfield positions.

On the Deco point, if your going in the no10 role with him then Joe Cole (was our best player in 05/06) and Mata (our best player for 2 seasons and a big part in winning Champions League) are much ahead of him IMO.

It's also hard to know are we picking Azpilicueta out of recency bias... Paulo Ferreira was superb and won titles too, and that defensive unit was the best the Premier League has ever seen.

Turtwig wrote:
    Azpilicueta, Terry, Carvalho, Cole ----Makelele, Essein---- ---Deco Robben, Hazard, ---Drogba

Deco is way off but hard disagree with that team otherwise. It's so hard to call between Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Ballack in those 3 midfield positions.

On the Deco point, if your going in the no10 role with him then Joe Cole (was our best player in 05/06) and Mata (our best player for 2 seasons and a big part in winning Champions League) are much ahead of him IMO.

It's also hard to know are we picking Azpilicueta out of recency bias... Paulo Ferreira was superb and won titles too, and that defensive unit was the best the Premier League has ever seen.

I disagree. He put in some top class performances for Carlo. Especially in the diamond

We didn't really play the diamond under Carlo, we played a 4-3-3. Diamond was more under Scolari.

• Advertisement

My all time premier league 11 is

Tbo
    Moses Dave sideshow Cahill alonso
    Kante matic
    Pedro costa hazard

BOOM

We didn't really play the diamond under Carlo, we played a 4-3-3. Diamond was more under Scolari.

We did for the first half of the season. Maybe a bit less. Carlo was famous for the diamond at AC and Roman wanted an attacking line-up with 2 strikers.

The problem was that it didn't suit Lampard playing at the tip so we switched back to the 4-3-3 some time before Christmas.

Deco played a good bit the year we won the title, Carlo made good use of the squad depth, he wasn't a nailed on starter by any means but he played an important role in some big wins, Man Utd comes to mind.

We did for the first half of the season. Maybe a bit less. Carlo was famous for the diamond at AC and Roman wanted an attacking line-up with 2 strikers.

The problem was that it didn't suit Lampard playing at the tip so we switched back to the 4-3-3 some time before Christmas.

Deco played a good bit the year we won the title, Carlo made good use of the squad depth, he wasn't a nailed on starter by any means but he played an important role in some big wins, Man Utd comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Chelsea_F.C._season

Look at the match reports. We played 4-3-3 for nearly the entire season with Malouda on the left, Drogba in the middle and Anelka on the right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Chelsea_F.C._season

Look at the match reports. We played 4-3-3 for nearly the entire season with Malouda on the left, Drogba in the middle and Anelka on the right.
    http://www.insidefutbol.com/2009/09/15/tactical-analysis-chelseas-diamond-formation/

Hazard limped off for Belgium last night after he scored in a battering of Estonia.

Hes not meant to be badly injured though and hopefully hes ok for the weekend, if not, once hes back for the Spurs and City games, I'll be happy.

Ditto for Costa.

With Lamps leaving NY soon, I wonder will the club offer him a coaching role with the kids/youths and work his way up, if he so wishes.

With Lamps leaving NY soon, I wonder will the club offer him a coaching role with the kids/youths and work his way up, if he so wishes.

The chatter is some kind of ambassadorial role for the time being

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Piss off Vardy. :rolleyes:

Ah balls, our games on Sunday this weekend. Was hoping we'd be playing on Saturday. :o

Everyone of our rivals are playing Saturday so we'll know whre we stand on Sunday and what we need to do to keep in the hunting pack.

Utd v Arsenal
    Palace v City
    Saints v Pool
    Spurs v West Ham

Theres a few spicey games in there and plenty of opportunities for our rivals to drop points.

I reckon Utd will beat Arsenal, Arsenal have a piss poor record at OT in the league and maybe Jose has some of the anti-Wenger magic still left, Utd really need a win to keep in touch with the top, if they lose and everyone aboves them win, they'll be 9 points off 4th, Arsenal have the best away record in the league and Utd have a poor home record so its tough to call this one, I'll go score draw.

City should beat Palace, who leak goals for fun but have turned up when the big boys come to town. 3-1 City

Southampton wont be an easy run out for Pool but much like City, I'd expect Pool to get a comfortable win here too. 2-0 Pool

I expect Spurs to turn over West Ham too who have a terribel away record this year so far, played 5, lost 4. 2-1 Spurs

Chelsea, we've a away record so far and Boro have a poor home record, we also however, always do poor the further north we go, playing Sunderland and Newcastle usually means we'll drop points, I'm hoping we can nip this in the bud this year and beat 'Boro. 2-1 Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Ah balls, our games on Sunday this weekend. Was hoping we'd be playing on Saturday. :o

Everyone of our rivals are playing Saturday so we'll know whre we stand on Sunday and what we need to do to keep in the hunting pack.

Utd v Arsenal
    Palace v City
    Saints v Pool
    Spurs v West Ham

Theres a few spicey games in there and plenty of opportunities for our rivals to drop points.

I reckon Utd will beat Arsenal, Arsenal have a piss poor record at OT in the league and maybe Jose has some of the anti-Wenger magic still left, Utd really need a win to keep in touch with the top, if they lose and everyone aboves them win, they'll be 9 points off 4th, Arsenal have the best away record in the league and Utd have a poor home record so its tough to call this one, I'll go score draw.

City should beat Palace, who leak goals for fun but have turned up when the big boys come to town. 3-1 City

Southampton wont be an easy run out for Pool but much like City, I'd expect Pool to get a comfortable win here too. 2-0 Pool

I expect Spurs to turn over West Ham too who have a terribel away record this year so far, played 5, lost 4. 2-1 Spurs

Chelsea, we've a away record so far and Boro have a poor home record, we also however, always do poor the further north we go, playing Sunderland and Newcastle usually means we'll drop points, I'm hoping we can nip this in the bud this year and beat 'Boro. 2-1 Chelsea

I think Arsenal will turn Utd. over this time. They're on a good run and Joses got a lot of injuries to contend with on top of everything else.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    I think Arsenal will turn Utd. over this time. They're on a good run and Joses got a lot of injuries to contend with on top of everything else.

Ya, given how hit or miss Utd have been with results this year they've certainly got a great chance to go and get the Jose moneky off their backs and another win at OT is always welcome.

Eric Dier on Herreras elbow from last night
    “I think it’s pretty clear what he did and I can feel it on my cheek now,” the Spurs midfielder said as he left Wembley.

“I’ve made a pass and it was a long time afterwards [that] he’s elbowed me in the face, and I just can’t see why. For me, it’s just ridiculous. So I know what he did, and I don’t like that kind of stuff. I don’t mind people kicking each other at times and stuff, but that’s just dirty and not needed.”

Asked whether he had sought an apology, Dier said: “I don’t need him to apologise. I’ll see him soon. These things happen. But I don’t know why he did it, to be honest. That’s why I was angry. It was just strange and it’s not nice.”

After his showing and attempted lumping of anything in a blue shirt from last years bottle job at the Bridge, I cant wait until we play them.

Hopefully a stray Luiz elbow or stud finds its mark.

Dier will do fcukin NUTHIN

Eric Dier on Herreras elbow from last night

After his showing and attempted lumping of anything in a blue shirt from last years bottle job at the Bridge, I cant wait until we play them.

Hopefully a stray Luiz elbow or stud finds its mark.

watch out for the spurs gang

Spurs ahve a few injuries at the moment, be handy if they could carry them in to next week.

Tough game on Sunday, 'Boro have the 5th best defensive record in the league and have got draws against big sides already.

Their main problem is scoring goals, they've managed only 10 in 11 games so far.

All signs point to a Chelsea walk over given how we're playing but I'd be cautios, 'Boro, like the first half of the City game, will park the bus and lump aimless balls upfield.

We'll have to break down a pretty sturdy defence and keep it solid ourselves as in the 2nd half against City, the threw caution to the wind and attacked City and had 1 or 2 chances but another day, City would have been 4 or 5 up before 'Boro got an equaliser.

I'm hoping we've the job done before 'Boro find their feet and we pick up another valuable 3 pts.

Hazard POTM officially

zpLRc9p.png

Hazard POTM officially

zpLRc9p.png

Has Conte been given his award yet. :pac:

Has Conte been given his award yet. :pac:

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/799570582819848192

• Advertisement

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM8v8QbhGL1/

Heres conte with his award to match Hazards POTM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement