Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I read that last night, it was brilliant. Whats even better, with a lead over Arsenal they still managed to finish behind them in 3rd. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the danny rose who pushed a 70 year old man down a flight of stairs

https://twitter.com/CFCNewsApp/status/800988559268315136

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Very good post. In reference to the Makelele point I feel that this formation is different to that case as if, as you pointed out, someone sticks beside Luiz and pressures him, we have another outlet with Alonso and Moses. If they push right up Kante will come and get the ball. The formation gives us so many options and flexibility. I think if someone does man mark Kante we can go wide, and if Moses picks up the ball and is under pressure we seem to be able to pass the ball well enough under pressure to get out of it.

For the games against Spurs and City I expect them to keep a keen eye on Moses in particular. Its also good to know that if we do get under siege for a few minutes we can go to a back 5 without any hassle.

The two games coming up will tell us alot about this system but its been flawless so far.

I think Pedro and Moses work very well on that side so it is really pivotal, Pedro isnt afraid of the defensive work either.

Hazard is allowed more offensive freedom as Alonso on the other side is probably a better defender than Moses but both are doing very well.

Alonso has put in some great crosses from the left and moses has been very direct from the right, he doesnt cross as many but thats not his game, hes driving wingers/fullbacks into their own areaand creating space for Pedro and sometimes Kante to step forward into.

If this time last year someone said Moses would be pivotal to Chelseas success in 12 months I think we'd all have laughed like mad men.

peteeeed wrote: »
    the danny rose who pushed a 70 year old man down a flight of stairs

https://twitter.com/CFCNewsApp/status/800988559268315136

I said it the other day, thats why he got booked, if he tried it against Conte he'd end up in the back road of the East stand. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think Pedro and Moses work very well on that side so it is really pivotal, Pedro isnt afraid of the defensive work either.

Hazard is allowed more offensive freedom as Alonso on the other side is probably a better defender than Moses but both are doing very well.

Alonso has put in some great crosses from the left and moses has been very direct from the right, he doesnt cross as many but thats not his game, hes driving wingers/fullbacks into their own areaand creating space for Pedro and sometimes Kante to step forward into.

If this time last year someone said Moses would be pivotal to Chelseas success in 12 months I think we'd all have laughed like mad men.

Another aspect of the system is the freedom Hazard is allowed. In the Everton game he would often drift out to the right hand side and cause havoc with Pedro with Moses overlapping, while still keeping our shape on the left with Alonso there.

The RWB suits Moses down to the ground. He's running with the ball as opposed to ahead of it being forced to make runs. He usually has freedom down the right as Pedro will bring the left back inside. Very astute of Conte to play him there as he is solid enough defensively when he needs to be.

Its great because Matic and Kante have a simple job to do which they're both great at. Sitting deep covering for Moses and Alonso and driving forward when they need too.

Saturdays going to be very touch anyway, just hope that Monaco can soften Spurs up a bit and bring them down to earth with a loss. I dont know what was funnier last weekend, how brutal West Ham are at seeing out leads or how poor Spurs are in general.

Eventually Spurs will kick into gear and turn draws unto wins so its not a bad time to play them when they're not scoring many goals, only 18 so far, thats lower than anyone above them, hopefully they keep that up Saturday. However, they've also go the best defensive record in the league at the moment with 8 goals left in.

One thing it wont be is boring on Saturday, que a 0-0 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Well what ever about this weekends game lets hope the ref does not have the nightmare that Clattenburg last season. I am always amazed how he is looked upon as being a top class ref he is awful really.

Well what ever about this weekends game lets hope the ref does not have the nightmare that Clattenburg last season. I am always amazed how he is looked upon as being a top class ref he is awful really.

Dier not being sent off was comical, although the Spurs fans made a song about him kicking players left, right and centre.

A song about the night they bottle the league after being 2-0 up.

Its the little victories I suppose.

• Advertisement

Dier not being sent off was comical, although the Spurs fans made a song about him kicking players left, right and centre.

A song about the night they bottle the league after being 2-0 up.

Its the little victories I suppose.

I guess they dare to dream to :pac::pac::pac::pac:

I guess they dare to dream to :pac::pac::pac::pac:

If we win at the weekend I'll dare to dream that we can finish in the top 4. :o

what a time to be alive. :o

Kompany is reportedly out for a few weeks, so thats him out of our game.

Shame for him as he seems to be made of glass this year and hes a good defender but its a big plus for us that their best CB by a country mile is out of our game at least.

I'm aware he hasnt played much this year but if I was a city fan I'd prefer the team having Kompany in it rather than Otamendi, Stones or Kolarov at CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Kompany is reportedly out for a few weeks, so thats him out of our game.

Shame for him as he seems to be made of glass this year and hes a good defender but its a big plus for us that their best CB by a country mile is out of our game at least.

I'm aware he hasnt played much this year but if I was a city fan I'd prefer the team having Kompany in it rather than Otamendi, Stones or Kolarov at CB.

He's been a bit of a liability when I've watched them this season, doesn't look comfortable playing out from the back at all.

Yaya coming back so fresh and in form would worry me though. Historically he has enjoyed playing vs. us until we signed Matic. I think the boys will keep him well contained tho.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's been a bit of a liability when I've watched them this season, doesn't look comfortable playing out from the back at all.

Yaya coming back so fresh and in form would worry me though. Historically he has enjoyed playing vs. us until we signed Matic. I think the boys will keep him well contained tho.

Silva was dropped for Toure at the weekend, given himself, De Bruyne and Fernandinho are the 3 CMs of sorts, I wouldnt fear them that much really.

Nolito puts in a shift on the wing, like Pedro but in Sterling on the other side theyve got a guy like Hazard who isnt the best defending plus hes nowhere near as talented so on the balance of it and form being a factor too, I wouldnt fear going to the Etihad and hopefully taking a point away.

Silva was dropped for Toure at the weekend, given himself, De Bruyne and Fernandinho are the 3 CMs of sorts, I wouldnt fear them that much really.

Nolito puts in a shift on the wing, like Pedro but in Sterling on the other side theyve got a guy like Hazard who isnt the best defending plus hes nowhere near as talented so on the balance of it and form being a factor too, I wouldnt fear going to the Etihad and hopefully taking a point away.

Pep seems to chop and change a good bit which I think has kind of hamstrung them a bit as they never seem settled in a formation.

I know they have played with 3 at the back too, but their back 3 was essentially a functional back 3 without the wingers dropping in. It looked wide upon and I'd be confident of getting a result against them if they tried a haphazard system like that.

I think Pep has come to realise the importance of packing the central areas though with strong high intensity players.

Spurs are brutal. I predict a riot on Saturday. 3-1 Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

These next 2 games are vital - a massive 6 points ... and when I say massive I mean MASSIVE .... "are we really contenders" type massive .... huge just huge - in fact it's 6 points, but it's 2 six pointers ... so it's a big 12 pointer .

Can't stress how huge these games are ... MASSIVE ...I mean :

MASSIVE ...

if we get 6 points ... my God I will be one happy camper!!!

Y93aQ.gif

Massive 2 games ahead ...

Carefree.

• Advertisement

Lolz
    A number of Premier League teams were reported to have objected to the possibility of Holland staying on at Stamford Bridge were he to become Gareth Southgate’s No 2, and thus have information about the fitness of England players that might give Chelsea an unfair advantage.

However, it has emerged that the only club known to have voiced concerns about the potential dual role were Tottenham, whose differences with Chelsea are mounting up.

Interestingly, both clubs have agreed new kit-supply deals with Nike starting next season. Chelsea’s is worth £60million a year and Tottenham’s £25m, which will be the subject of much angst at the north London club.

Jesus I can't wait until we thump them.

peteeeed wrote: »

Ben Davies and Rose out, so they've no senior LB unless they move Trippier over there, Alderweireld out means Dier at CB with Vertonghen most likely, which is good for us, hes not a CB at all.

Means a very suspect back line of Walker, Vertonghen, Dier, Trippier.

Alli struggled last night apart from the good bit of control for the penalty and Kane was isolated for much of the game as Son wasnt linking up with him.

Spurs havent won at the Bridge in 26 years in the league and I cant see them ending that on Saturday, I just hope we can go and take the game by the scruff and be ruthless and put away the chances we get.

I'm going to stand by my 3-1 predicition, Kane always seems to scores in London derbies so he'll get a token goal for Spurs.

Jesus I can't wait until we thump them.

I'd take a 1-0 now right now, its as good as a 3/4/5/6-0 for me.

As long as get the job done. Although a win like a few seasons ago when we won 4-0 at the Bridge would be nice.

Spurs still have a great defensive record but with West Ham scoring 2 against them at the Lane, if its Chelsea scoring 2 or more against them, I'd more than fancy our chances to see the game out, unlike West Ham.

I'd take a 1-0 now right now, its as good as a 3/4/5/6-0 for me.

As long as get the job done. Although a win like a few seasons ago when we won 4-0 at the Bridge would be nice.

Spurs still have a great defensive record but with West Ham scoring 2 against them at the Lane, if its Chelsea scoring 2 or more against them, I'd more than fancy our chances to see the game out, unlike West Ham.

They look a broken team lately, especially after going out of the Champions League last night but there is no doubt they'll be up for this one. As you said, Kane is always dangerous but with what will be a makeshift back 4, having played during the week and their current form you'd fancy us to put a few by them.

I'd take a 1-0 too every day of the week but I can see us winning by a few.

• Advertisement

They look a broken team lately, especially after going out of the Champions League last night but there is no doubt they'll be up for this one. As you said, Kane is always dangerous but with what will be a makeshift back 4, having played during the week and their current form you'd fancy us to put a few by them.

I'd take a 1-0 too every day of the week but I can see us winning by a few.

If we approach the game witht the same intensity and purpose as the last 6 games in this sequence we can certainly overturn any team in the league.

I'm a bit more confident anyway after seeing Spurs crash out against Monaco as they were easily 2nd best and on another night, had Monaco taken their chances could easily have won 4 or 5 - 1.

Could be just a collateral call by Potch as going forward later in the season, that involvement in both the EPL and the Champions league would've hindered their top 4 finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

duploelabs wrote:
    Could be just a collateral call by Potch as going forward later in the season, that involvement in both the EPL and the Champions league would've hindered their top 4 finish

If that's the case then it's sad for English football that a manager would have to go out of the Champions League to get back in it from league placings haha

If that's the case then it's sad for English football that a manager would have to go out of the Champions League to get back in it from league placings haha

More like it's a KPI to keep his job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Very confident we will beat Spurs. They were chasing shadows last night and Alderweireld is a massive loss for them.

Managed to get a ticket for Sunderland away on the 14th of December. Flights were under €20 return, bargain.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »

Ya, a club cant have ambitions for UCL every year and then go and put it on the back burner so they can ensure they're in a better position to qualify next year.

I think they'll throw the CSKA game and finish 4th, Thursday football is a pain in the balls although it is about their level, its also a European trophy and a way into the UCL if you win it.

Liverpool would have given their right arm and leg to beat Sevilla in the final last year but couldnt do it.

Spurs, unfortunately for them are one of those big clubs who just arent big enough, they've a couple of very good players, Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweirld and Kane but if they cant push on and win things, they'll all be out the door to bigger clubs with bigger ambitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ya, a club cant have ambitions for UCL every year and then go and put it on the back burner so they can ensure they're in a better position to qualify next year.

I think they'll throw the CSKA game and finish 4th, Thursday football is a pain in the balls although it is about their level, its also a European trophy and a way into the UCL if you win it.

Liverpool would have given their right arm and leg to beat Sevilla in the final last year but couldnt do it.

Spurs, unfortunately for them are one of those big clubs who just arent big enough, they've a couple of very good players, Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweirld and Kane but if they cant push on and win things, they'll all be out the door to bigger clubs with bigger ambitions.

that game against CSKA will be weird - playing in front of a half?/quarter? full stadium with a bunch of reserves. I'm sure they'll get a draw at least though. Really can't see them throwing the game even doing so helps their league ambitions.

greendom wrote: »
    that game against CSKA will be weird - playing in front of a half?/quarter? full stadium with a bunch of reserves. I'm sure they'll get a draw at least though. Really can't see them throwing the game even doing so helps their league ambitions.

Well maybe not throw the game but used the most inexperinced members of the squad available.

Liverpool 3 years ago, Leicester last year, Chelsea and Pool this year are showing what 6 or 7 days between games can do for a squad.

If they really have title aspirations, those days off, especially among teams that are all very close in the ability of their squads, can be a huge difference.

Thursday games in Europe when you're returning on Friday morning and then face another trip away on Sunday are a killer, unless you change nearly the entire XI, the flip side is its a very winnable competition for the better sides and Spurs would be in among that group and would get into the UCL via the EL if they wanted to go down that route.

Also gives them a European trophy, which arent to be passed up.

Christensen playing against City tonight, well, he should be.

Going to be a big test for him playing against arguably the best side in the league.

Cant wait for him to retunr next year, the competition in the back line will be very good and of a high calibre.

Azp, Luiz, Cahill, Zouma, Christensen.

Lolz

Spurs objecting to Steve Holland getting an England post is jealously no more no less. They think that they are still one of the major clubs in Europe in reality they have not been for some 40 or 50 years.

Spurs objecting to Steve Holland getting an England post is jealously no more no less. They think that they are still one of the major clubs in Europe in reality they have not been for some 40 or 50 years.

Holland "would have an inside track on injuries".

Sure most managers tell ya in the press conference on Friday if a player is in or out for the game at the weekend. :pac:

Schurrle :
    'Chelsea was a dream for me,' Schurrle said to Bild. 'But after I was out for a few weeks through an infection, the coach unfortunately did not count on me much more often.

Mourinho showed me how hard life can be as a footballer. If you had one bad game, you would be out of the team.'

I'd have much preferred if we kept him than Willian for instance, hell, we could have saved 30m and not bought Pedro either but Jose got rid of him anyway.

Poor call IMO, in the 3-4-3, if he was played in Pedros position, he'd have a field day.

Just looking at this weekends fixtures and our rivals have a few gimmes.

Pool at home to Sunderland, they'll batter them by 3 or 4 goals.
    City away to Burnley, another whipping boy.
    Arsenal have Bournemouth at home, again, an easy win.
    Man Utd ahve West Ham at Old trafford, should see them winning with ease too given how bad West Ham are.

So the next 2 games are vital, a win on Saturday keeps us top for another weekend, if we fail to pick up points from the next 2 games we'll be playing catch up over a very busy Xmas period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just looking at this weekends fixtures and our rivals have a few gimmes.

Pool at home to Sunderland, they'll batter them by 3 or 4 goals.
    City away to Burnley, another whipping boy.
    Arsenal have Bournemouth at home, again, an easy win.
    Man Utd ahve West Ham at Old trafford, should see them winning with ease too given how bad West Ham are.

So the next 2 games are vital, a win on Saturday keeps us top for another weekend, if we fail to pick up points from the next 2 games we'll be playing catch up over a very busy Xmas period.

Burnley have stifled a fair few teams this season. Arsenal are playing dreadful at the moment. United and Pool are possibly the only two that should have easy games, Sunderland have improved a little though and United, well they're, united. Given how bad West Ham are you still expect them to draw. :)

Turtwig wrote: »
    Burnley have stifled a fair few teams this season. Arsenal are playing dreadful at the moment. United and Pool are possibly the only two that should have easy games, Sunderland have improved a little though and United, well they're, united. Given how bad West Ham are you still expect them to draw. :)

My logic is exactly why none of my Acca's or prediciotns on here come through. :pac:

I think we've the most difficult game but the last half a dozen games has made me more confident than I've been in about 18months in this team.

Whether or not its a false sense of security will be tested big time against Spurs and more so City away.

4 points from these two, whatever way they come would be brilliant, a minimum of 3, again, whatever way they come would be big for us. We've already lost to Pool and Arsenal so losing to 2 more rivals would be a serious kick in the nuts for any title talk.

FWIW, I still dont think we'll be title contenders comeMay but I do think we'll top 4. Right now, I cant see a clear favourite, after about 6 games it looked like Pep would walk to another league title but they've been very off the boil in the league as of late and not winning with any great showing. I think our 2-0 win away to the Saints followed up by Pool getting a point there shows how tough the league is and that this yer nobody will run away with it like they did the last 2 years.

• Advertisement

(Old for goody) Teresa May has send some envoys to Spurs to ask Potch how he got out of Europe so quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

What amazes me is with the premiership claiming to be and spending enough to be the best league in the world that of the four teams that entered the champions league spurs didn't make it out of the group stages and of the rest only Leicester seem to be able to finish top of there respective groups which to be fair is a pretty easy group.
    I think we're sorely missed this year!

kev1.3s wrote: »
    What amazes me is with the premiership claiming to be and spending enough to be the best league in the world that of the four teams that entered the champions league spurs didn't make it out of the group stages and of the rest only Leicester seem to be able to finish top of there respective groups which to be fair is a pretty easy group.
    I think we're sorely missed this year!

The new format, where cjhampions are automatically in Pot 1 is going to lead to some of the EPL clubs getting easy draws (leicester) and some getting tough draws (City & Arsenal).

If we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th next year, we'll be a pot 2 team so we wont have that difficult a task but you do run the risk of getting a European powerhouse.

That being siad, we are usually good for a run to the last 16 of the UCL and hopefully next year we'll be involved again, cant wait to se what Conte would do with 2 games a week and getting the squad he wants to play the systems he wants.

How are Spurs unbeaten in the league this season :?

Matt Law from the Telegraph is saying that Diego Costa and Tbo both want new deals

What a difference a few months and a new manager can make!

How are Spurs unbeaten in the league this season :?

Theyve been pretty decent at the back and killed games.

The fact theyre missing 2 of their starting back four and they've yet to play a side like us, in the form we're in, should put an end to that stat.

They've also got a horrendous record in the league at Stamford Bridge, I'm confident enough anyway for this game.

Matt Law from the Telegraph is saying that Diego Costa and Tbo both want new deals

What a difference a few months and a new manager can make!

Future is bright, maybe not a title challenge but top 4 is very much on the cards I think and thats back in the UCL.

Getting the better players tied down is vital for Conte for his short/medium term success.

Privately, he'll be telling the lads they've a shot at the league but we'll see how we play over the next 6 weeks and see if the hunger is there like it was in 2014/15.

Will not be too upset if this happens, Willian was the only bright spark at times last season but too hot and cold for me

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2016/11/25/jose-mourinho-plots-chelsea-raid-in-january-as-40m-rated-former-favourite-lined-up-by-manchester-united-boss/?

Ya, I seen those Willian links to Utd, they were around in the summer too.

I cant see it happening at all though, Willian seems to like the club, granted hes not playing, but we've a hectic enough 6 weeks now coming up, so people will get their chance and he can still take Pedro or even Moses place if he gets the head down and performs when played.

That being said, if Utd did offer that kind of money for him, I'd sell him and Oscar too and bring in upgrades for the right side of the attack. The drea would be Griezmann but every team in Europe would be after him, the only hope other sides have is if Atleti have a piss poor season and he wants out for a challenge.

Hazard and Griezmann flanking Costa would be a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement

Hazard and Griezmann flanking Costa would be a thing of beauty.

FULL CHUB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement