Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Willian ffs.

Should do better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

First decent attack we've had in the last 15 mins.

Willian never looks likely to score from play.

Hooooold

Costa's been excellent bar that cross.

Was a tap-in if he put enough pace on the ball through.

Get f**king in

Great win, s**t oerformance but f**k it.

Love Conte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Phew. A victory that looked very unlikely halfway through the first half but should have killed them off with Alonso's or Willian's chance. Great result, but much to improve on performance wise.

Very close game in fairness.

Spurs done nothing in the 2nd half of note. No chances created.

We defeneded better and created much more and could have been oit of sight earlier.

Great heart by the players after going 1 down.

Get in. First come-back victory since the switch to 3-4-3.
    Extra delicious that it comes against Spurs. :D

We were very poor first half and very lucky to be level at half time.
    Had an excellent 20 min spell at the start of the second half before shutting the game down.
    Shaky enough for the last 10 but didn't give up any major chances.

7 wins on the trot. :D Now on to the Etihad next Saturday.

Crackle wrote: »
    Phew. A victory that looked very unlikely halfway through the first half but should have killed them off with Alonso's or Willian's chance. Great result, but much to improve on performance wise.

No doubt but we showed that we can go 1 down and still stay in it.thats a good win tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Great win and still top 9f the league. Must say proved wrong as pedro as played brilliant again and said he was useless.Roll on city next.

Redknapp looks gutted in the BT studio, even better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Great win. Much better second half. Good to see a bit of character shown. Miles apart from last season.

Improvement needed for City next week but looking forward to it. Come on Chels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Redknapp looks gutted in the BT studio, even better :D
    I was gonna say he has a face like a slapped arse, but that's a preexisting condition.

Moses being a Chelsea match winner sounds very unlikely 12months ago.

What a turn around from him and Conte for trusting him too.

Delighted.

First time weve won 7 in the league in as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No way in heck did ye deserve to be level at half time. Yet, no way did you not deserve to win that match. Telling too, beat the team with the "meanest" defence in the league, stopped their domestic unbeaten run and go top of the table where ye deserve to be.

Resknapp is so bitter ha.

He said he wouldnt swap Chelseas XI for Spurs.

Love the tears 'Arry, keep it up.

3 or 4 of the Chelsea players wouldnt get in a league winning side.

I love it.

:pac:

Remember when we won the UCL and Redknapp lost his UCL place, hes still not over it.

:D

• Advertisement

I love it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but don't all them have domestic silverware?
    Except maybe Alonso?

or Kante considering where where he came it's highly unlikely he'd have anything anyway.

Did 'Arry really say he wasn't convinced by our back 3?

One goal conceded in 7 games!

Turtwig wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but don't all them have domestic silverware?
    Except maybe Alonso?

or Kante considering where where he came it's highly unlikely he'd have anything anyway.

I think hes just pissed Spurs lost a game they shouldnt have. Apart from a good 15,20mins after half time they were well in without making any chance.

Thats their main issue, theyre not creating any chances and kane was very isolated in areas where he couldnt be effective.

On paper, the toughest game is next week, City at home, despite their recent performanvmces are still a very good side, i dont think theyll press as hard as Spurs anyway but it will be a very difficult and different challenge for the 343.

If we dont get that Pedro goal befre half time we dont win, its that simple.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Did 'Arry really say he wasn't convinced by our back 3?

One goal conceded in 7 games!

'Arry is losing the plot. Kane wasnt given a sniff. Eriksen got a rocket but they didnt create any clear chances. We had more chances than them but we fluffed them.

Costa not banned fr City either yaaaaay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Arsenal can't drop points to Bournemouth. Otherwise the top 3 could pull away.

Good to see us end Spurs unbeaten record, and put more distance from them. We're winning games we would have drawn, or lost last season.

7 on the trot is great. I know we'll happily settle for a draw against City. But beat them and that's a serious, serious run, and a major points haul in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I love it.

so very salty

Pete is over at the game, I'd say it's bedlam

Cata not banned fr City either yaaaaay

He's been exemplary since the first two games when he should have been sent off in both. :pac:

Conte has him completely focused on scoring goals. 10 goals and 4 assists in 13 games.

3 of the bookings were for that short-lived FA crackdown on mouthing at the referees. He's played 8 games without getting cautioned since.

He's been exemplary since the first two games when he should have been sent off in both. :pac:

Conte has him completely focused on scoring goals.

3 of the bookings were for that short-lived FA crackdown on mouthing at the referees. He's played 8 games without getting cautioned since.

He's a changed man this year. That ball for the Moses goal was beautiful. A fit Costa scoring goals could be the difference between us challenging for the title this year.

I think hes just pissed Spurs lost a game they shouldnt have. Apart from a good 15,20mins after half time they were well in without making any chance.

Thats their main issue, theyre not creating any chances and kane was very isolated in areas where he couldnt be effective.

On paper, the toughest game is next week, City at home, despite their recent performanvmces are still a very good side, i dont think theyll press as hard as Spurs anyway but it will be a very difficult and different challenge for the 343.

If we dont get that Pedro goal befre half time we dont win, its that simple.

But they should have lost it. Yeah better team in the first 45 but in that second Chelsea should have been at least 3-1 up. Part of the mettle to wins games require wining matches when you're being outplayed or not playing to your ability. Chelsea were undoubtedly harried by Spurs press but they were also below par in that first half.

I don't agree that you don't win. In this sport, 1-0 is pardon the cliche never enough. Every team has poor moments. As the half progressed Chelsea were starting to look, just a bit, better. Pedro goal was obviously a huge boost but without it I wouldn't have ruled out a win either. Spurs initially intensity was unsustainable anyway.

City have arguably the best tactician in the modern game. His one weakness is that arguably he's idealistic. When he had Barca that side the players available to him were so technically perfect and intelligent that he could employ whatever the feck he liked. Currently he does not have that at city. Their backline is supremely porous and their accuracy in the final third is sorely lacking. Midfield wise they should dominate the proceedings. Whether they can turn that dominance into something meanigful to hurt Chelsea is another matter entirely.

• Advertisement

Spurs tried to rough up Costa a bit but he just played his football and turned it on.

I want to metnion Luiz again, his 2 or 3 rash tackles in the first half a side he had a stormer again. Got to every header and at the end he was out with crowd for a few minutes after the end handing out his shirt.

Im delighted we got him back, hes been brilliant in the 3.

Turtwig wrote: »
    But they should have lost it. Yeah better team in the first 45 but in that second Chelsea should have been at least 3-1 up. Part of the mettle to wins games require wining matches when you're being outplayed or not playing to your ability. Chelsea were undoubtedly harried by Spurs press but they were also below par in that first half.

I don't agree that you don't win. In this sport, 1-0 is pardon the cliche never enough. Every team has poor moments. As the half progressed Chelsea were starting to look, just a bit, better. Pedro goal was obviously a huge boost but without it I wouldn't have ruled out a win either. Spurs initially intensity was unsustainable anyway.

City have arguably the best tactician in the modern game. His one weakness is that arguably he's idealistic. When he had Barca that side the players available to him were so technically perfect and intelligent that he could employ whatever the feck he liked. Currently he does not have that at city. Their backline is supremely porous and their accuracy in the final third is sorely lacking. Midfield wise they should dominate the proceedings. Whether they can turn that dominance into something meanigful to hurt Chelsea is another matter entirely.

1 word, Aguero. :o with him on form theyre as deadly as anyone. Itll be an interesting match up.

Banker for a 0-0. :o

Id take a point right now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

1 word, Aguero. :o with him on form theyre as deadly as anyone. Itll be an interesting match up.

Banker for a 0-0. :o

Id take a point right now anyway.

City should be happy to win the game, Burnley put some fight.
    Second goal of Aguero somewhat lucky, on the other hand, very unlucky Burnley, especially at the end of 2nd half, Hendrick got very good game.

Anyway, Come on Chelsea !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Delighted with that 3 pts, had a bad feeling about this game beforehand, bad time to play Spurs after they have been dumped out of Europe, but nice to come back and win - also Spurs 1st defeat in the league this season.

Impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Major win considering it puts us 7 clear of Spurs. We're looking good for top 4

https://twitter.com/TheRealAC3/status/802594710896263168

Ashley killing people on twitter. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Cole would have been a beast in this system. He could've played as part of the back 3 or as a wing back. Defensively I think he's quite similar to Azpilicueta but he was much better going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Can't wait for next weekend. Fingers crossed pep brings back stones.

I'd expect a point minimum.

• Advertisement

First proper test of the 3-4-3 and we came through. Glorious

Lukker- wrote: »
    Cole would have been a beast in this system. He could've played as part of the back 3 or as a wing back. Defensively I think he's quite similar to Azpilicueta but he was much better going forward.

Ya, as a LWB he'd have been a monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Major win considering it puts us 7 clear of Spurs. We're looking good for top 4

I think we should expect more from Chelsea this year!

I think we should expect more from Chelsea this year!

Yes but it is early days. Too often I've seen seasons start brilliantly and fade off. Even this season, City looked unbeatable for 6 games and played maybe the best Premier League football I've ever seen in their 1st half at Old Trafford, a few weeks on and now they are being doubted heavily. Things can change very fast in football

On another note, if you told me a year ago we'd go on a 7 game winning run and only concede 1 goal with David Luiz, Gary Cahill, Marcos Alonso and Victor Moses being 80% of a back 5 I'd think yer off yer chops! 5 of the 7 games have been against what I'd call top ten opposition too (United, Leicester, Everton, Southampton, Spurs)

Also a word of warning, them 4 guys I've mentioned above, it's very possible they are all just in a rich vein of form at the same time. It's been confirmed numerous times Cahill is a poor defender, Luiz likewise over the years, Marcos Alonso and Moses would have been considered average players as short ago as August. I don't want to be the party pooper, but I hope these guys can maintain this form consistently, because there is not a whole lot of evidence of them doing it over a whole season before.

Ya, not getting ahead of myself. We're only 1/3 through the season and its been great so far. Busy christmas period and rotation will see how far we're coming.

Also a word of warning, them 4 guys I've mentioned above, it's very possible they are all just in a rich vein of form at the same time. It's been confirmed numerous times Cahill is a poor defender, Luiz likewise over the years, Marcos Alonso and Moses would have been considered average players as short ago as August. I don't want to be the party pooper, but I hope these guys can maintain this form consistently, because there is not a whole lot of evidence of them doing it over a whole season before.

Well, to be fair to those players they're playing very well in a system together for all you know they may still be in a poor run of form. Eventually they will face a team with an inferior system but superior players, or the worst possible combination of those. When that happens they may or may not appear "poor". Right now there are known past deficiencies in some of these players whether that was a product of their overall skill ceiling or the system they were being used in only time will tell. :)

People play City haven't being playing well in the past few weeks which is something I can't really agree with. Against "A German Team" Pep had they use something like 5 possibly 6 or more different formations. He's being chopping and changing position and personnel like crazy. Given the gravity of the tie next week I doubt he'll be as experimental in his approach. Regardless, City for the most part have been very impressive but their lack of coherency is a problem Chelsea don't appear to have. Conte has found his preferred system; Pep is still looking.*

*Huge caveat there is that Pep's system is generally one of maximum flexibility with players all on the same wavelength. Even in his final season at Barca he was still tweaking stuff like crazy so he could arguably still be looking 3 years on from now too :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Important win yesterday and certainly a poor first half performance against a motivated Spurs team. These games though are rarely a thing of beauty and the important thing is the win.
    Personally I am not convinced by our defensive personnel but despite being put under a lot of pressure they gave up very little inside the area and Kane kept very quiet.
    Next week we are playing the best side in the league away from home that really is as hard as it gets. Whilst City are the best side we may just be the best team at the minute. It will be tight have to say not overly confident though can see them nicking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

City aren't great, we can beat them. I'd take a draw now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Jose. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement