Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick time negates over time worked?

Options
  • 04-11-2016 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick query as this doesn't make sense to me. I worked 10 hours of over time over a 2 week period. I had called in 1 day sick in this 2 week period. Got paid last week and was not paid for the overtime worked.

When I queried this with payroll they said I was not eligible for OT because I called in sick, however they paid me 8 hours of sick time from my balance.

I understand what they are saying in theory, but where did the 10 hours I worked vanish to? Something seems fishy about this. What annoys me the most is that I continued to work OT after my sick day and still didn't get paid for those hours.

If their argument is that I'm not eligible for overtime because I called in sick, shouldn't the additional hours I worked cover the day I called in sick rather than vanishing into thin air?

Does this seem normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

TBH I can't really make out what you are saying.

Do you have a written agreement that hours worked in addition to a standard week are paid as OT ?

It's likely because of the hours missed you didn't reach a standard week that
    OT didn't apply but rather they were paid as standard rate up to the basic weekly hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Just a quick query as this doesn't make sense to me. I worked 10 hours of over time over a 2 week period. I had called in 1 day sick in this 2 week period. Got paid last week and was not paid for the overtime worked.

I think some companies require you to work a normal week before being eligible for over time strange though a sick day from previous week affects your overtime for the week after .

Do they pay sick pay?
    Hourly paid? And paid weekly ? What's your working hours a day ?

Where did your 2 hours disappear ?I'd be asking that question

If they don't pay sick pay I'd be doing the ot hours to keep my flat week s pay.

Have you an employee handbook with the company policies in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Hi, sorry yes. I'm paid a monthly salary and anything above 39 hours per week is paid as OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

dev100 wrote: »
    I think some companies require you to work a normal week before being eligible for over time strange though a sick day from previous week affects your overtime for the week after .

Do they pay sick pay?
    Hourly paid? And paid weekly ? What's your working hours a day ?

Where did your 2 hours disappear ?I'd be asking that question

If they don't pay sick pay I'd be doing the ot hours to keep my flat week s pay.

Have you an employee handbook with the company policies in it ?

I'm paid a monthly salary. Anything above 39 hours p/w is paid as OT. I do have sick time and part of my confusion is that they paid out 8 hours of sick time instead of using the extra hours to make up the sick day. And as above should then have 2 hours of OT rather than 10 if going by that or zero in my case.

I'm paid a monthly salary. Anything above 39 hours p/w is paid as OT. I do have sick time and part of my confusion is that they paid out 8 hours of sick time instead of using the extra hours to make up the sick day. And as above should then have 2 hours of OT rather than 10 if going by that or zero in my case.

The idea of salary is you don't get paid OT

I would say you are paid a wage but monthly paid

Some companies would make you work up time lost on sick days if you do OT . Nearly sure it was like that in my old jobs rule book but unless you taking pee they never do it.

Probably cause your wage is monthly paid they base sick time and recouping hours in overtime that way .

Sounds like like HR applying the rule book

I'd ask about the two hours .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

dev100 wrote: »
    The idea of salary is you don't get paid OT

Where did you come to that definition of salary? I've worked multiple salaried jobs before that paid OT.

Where did you come to that definition of salary? I've worked multiple salaried jobs before that paid OT.

Unfortunately I haven't had that experience . Any job I've been in its either hourly paid with OT or salary paid and no remuneration for OT. Most companies I know do this to cut down/cut out on payments for extra work done usually anyone on a salary is paid an extra amount over an hourly paid worker. That's my take on it.

How did your employer work out your hourly rate for OT ?

Any of mates who are on a salary are in the same boat as me . But hey if you have been paid with OT in the past who am I to argue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you were paid for those 8 sick hours, you didn't work them. Of course they don't count towards OT. IMHO you should be paid for them at basic rate only, not OT rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

OP, you were paid for those 8 sick hours, you didn't work them. Of course they don't count towards OT. IMHO you should be paid for them at basic rate only, not OT rate.

Exactly,
    Essentially OP was allowed work back up the hours he
    Missed so still got a full wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If their argument is that I'm not eligible for overtime because I called in sick, shouldn't the additional hours I worked cover the day I called in sick rather than vanishing into thin air?

You should get the two extra hours paid as overtime. You effectively worked 31 hours, got paid basic for the 8 hours you were sick making the full 39 hours paid at normal rate. However you should get the two extra hours paid as OT because they're above the 39 hours.

Perhaps there is some rule in your contract that says you can't get paid OT if you are out sick, in which case I'd be turning down OT after being out sick as it's a disadvantage compared to other employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

just because you were paid for the sick time doenst mean you worked them, therefore no overtime.

simples.

Advertisement