Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cider smells like nail varnish remover

Options
  • 04-11-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Hi I've made my first attempt at making cider from apples and I've made two 5L batches. Started on 5/10/2016

First batch I've used Camden tabs pectolase tabs and yeast (needed to add a yeast restarter after 7 day's) and smells good like clear cider, tastes like dry bitter tangy kinda like cheap cider think it needs age. I'm gonna bottle this up and add sugar as I think its finished fermenting. Its stopped at .995 and was 1.040 starting. Colour is like apple juice.

The second batch I used no tablets whatsoever. I wanted to try see how it would go naturally it started fermenting within 2 days and I've an s.g of 1.000 started at 1.040 also. It smells like nail varnish remover literally. I've researched online a bit and getting that also with age it will be OK??? It tastes like dry sour kinda bitter and flat. Colour is like red lemonade.

My question is would it be OK to bottle this second batch??? Its still fizzing in its secondary fermenter. Is it safe to drink???

I'm gonna bottle them in 740ml brown glass bottles with swing tops. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It'll be fine to drink. Bottle it, store it, open one every few months. When it tastes good drink more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Bottled the first batch got 5 740mls out of it. Mite give the second batch a few more days. Tried one teaspoon in two bottles and two teaspoon in two others would this be correct way of Doin it? Left one with noting added...

Advertisement