Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 punctures in the last week

Options
  • 04-11-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

So frustrating. I commute to work and since my last one 6 months ago I have had 3 in the last week. I keep the right air pressure and checked the tyre for anything lodged in it but nothing. This must be the worse time of the year for punctues:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

billyhead wrote: »
    So frustrating. I commute to work and since my last one 6 months ago I have had 3 in the last week. I keep the right air pressure and checked the tyre for anything lodged in it but nothing. This must be the worse time of the year for punctues:(

Could be bad luck but what is the wear in the tyre like? Have you double checked for debris?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

The hedge cutting season started in September. I try to avoid roads with freshly cut hedges and get down and walk my bike when I come across fresh clippings on the road, as there is lots of white thorn in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Were they on the tyre side of the tube or the rim side? Could be rim tape.

Do you place the tyre logo over the valve - makes it easier to identify the area of the tyre which was penetrated.

(Incidentally billyhead - I seem to have passed you while I was in the car on loads of occasions in the past few weeks.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sometimes it just happens that way. I've often gone more than 6 months without a puncture and then, like busses, three come together. All you can do is keep an eye on your tyres and the pressure correct. Inspect your tyres after each ride (easier said than done).

I had three punctures in quick succession recently and all were caused by small shards of glass. On all three occasions I could see the glass in the tyre and removed it before removing tyre and tube. Sometimes the cause is not so easy to identify so I use the method that WA described of logo/valve stem to help identify the location.

Glad to see that you didn't give up the commute ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The roads have been dry, wet roads are puncture season.providing that you are changing it right it sounds like it's time for a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What kind are the punctures? Double holes like a snakebite, or single holes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was scourged with punctures on my commuter bike, a combination of tyre wear/cheap tyres.

I switched to Schwalbe Marathon Plus on my hybrid/commutor over a year ago and not one puncture since.

I've Gatorskins on my road bike which have resisted punctures so far but I put up 90% of my cycling on the hybrid with the Marathon Plus, and tbh for the commute I wouldn't use another tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Just finished my 3rd full commuting week on Tannus tyres.

Initial impressions are that they are much harder so slightly more uncomfortable. Grip in the rain (bit we have had) seems fine.

Possibly a bit slower starting off from a stop but very marginal. Havent noticed anything at higher speeds.

Certainly wouldnt use them for any long distance stuff but for commuting I cant see myself going back to tyres and tubes.

Especially reading these posts.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Just finished my 3rd full commuting week on Tannus tyres.

Initial impressions are that they are much harder so slightly more uncomfortable. Grip in the rain (bit we have had) seems fine.

Possibly a bit slower starting off from a stop but very marginal. Havent noticed anything at higher speeds.

Certainly wouldnt use them for any long distance stuff but for commuting I cant see myself going back to tyres and tubes.

Especially reading these posts.
    I've 4,000kms up on a pair of Tannus tyres on the commuter bike. Very happy with them. Great not having to worry about punctures or carrying tubes, pump, levers etc. I'm also in a position where I can't be late for work as I have to assign work locations to other employees so great peace of mind there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've had Tannus on my commuter for a few weeks now on an all Alu bike and the ride seems a lot harsher than before. It's good to not worry about checking tyre pressures at 4.30 in the morning in the dark, and no chance of a puncture, but I'm not sure I'll get them again when they eventually wear out. I'm spending the best part of 8 hours a week commuting and I'd prefer a little more comfort, even with the increased possibilities of delays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I've had Tannus on my commuter for a few weeks now on an all Alu bike and the ride seems a lot harsher than before. It's good to not worry about checking tyre pressures at 4.30 in the morning in the dark, and no chance of a puncture, but I'm not sure I'll get them again when they eventually wear out. I'm spending the best part of 8 hours a week commuting and I'd prefer a little more comfort, even with the increased possibilities of delays

I got a Marathon tyre on the back, and mentioned to the guy in Rothar.ie that I felt as if my fillings were shaking out when I went over rough roads or cobbles. He said, "Don't pump up the front wheel as hard as the back."

.. but I'm not sure I'll get them again when they eventually wear out...
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus would be a good compromise. I put up 22,000kms on a pair without a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

+1 for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Zero punctures since I got them at the start of the year and lots of punctures before. Dublin roads are covered in broken glass etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Chuchote wrote: »
    I got a Marathon tyre on the back, and mentioned to the guy in Rothar.ie that I felt as if my fillings were shaking out when I went over rough roads or cobbles. He said, "Don't pump up the front wheel as hard as the back."
    Tannus is a solid tyre so no air pressure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Chuchote wrote: »

Also consider wider tyres at a lower pressure if you want a softer ride at the expense of a little extra weight and rolling resistance. I was on the very wide Marathon plus tyres on a rental bike last week, and while much less nippy than narrower tyres, very soft to ride even on very rough surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Schwalbe Marathon Plus would be a good compromise. I put up 22,000kms on a pair without a puncture.

Not sure about other peoples experiences but I found it next to impossible to get a 700 x 25c Marathon plus tyre to fit any of my rims whereas a 700 X 25c "anything else" goes on fine.

I think with the Marathons in the unlikely event of a puncture it wouldn't be the easiest to change at the side of the road.

however I do agree that punctures are rare. I have a set on my wifes runaround for the last 8 or 9 years and while not doing much mileage there is no sign of the tyre perishing or cracking so they certainly last.

Advertisement