Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The (Not So) Flying Scotsman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Enjoy the hols C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Not too much to report 25 miles for the week.

Monday 6 miles @ 8.04 per mile. My only run of the holiday along the coastal path from Puerto Del Carmen to Matagorda and back. A lovely morning for a run and a popular one also.

Saturday: back to normality so headed up to the session. The full session was 16 x 400m off 200m recoveries; knew pretty much as soon as we got going that this was going to be tough so dialled it right back and got 12 reps done. Would have maybe been better off just getting some easy miles in; was pretty surprised how heavy the legs felt after a couple of weeks of almost inactivity. One to chalk down as getting done and that was all. Took a bit of a longer cool down to get some of the end of the 5 mile. A great silver for DH in the O50s.

Sunday: A solid 10 miles @ 7.38 a lovely morning in the park which in the end was pretty warm and humid.....a nice dose of hayfever to end the run as well which wasn't too pleasant.

Plan for this week is to get back to some sort of normality; have an entry for Dunshaughlin on Saturday; I think that will be a case of take whatever comes after the holidays.

Also better start putting some thoughts into a plan for the marathon training.....is just adding a few midweek miles and upping the Sunday run mileage while still doing the club sessions too simplistic an approach? One to discuss with the coaches/more senior lads.

C

Weekly Update 40 miles for the week.

3/4 of a session; a Friday run( unusual for me) and the Dunshaughlin 10k.

Monday: 6.2 miles at 7.43. Back to work after the break so headed down to Malahide Castle for a loop and back. Probably a touch on the quick side but just went with it. No sign of Noel G though.

Tuesday: Session on the Polos huge crew down this evening which was great to see. Session was 8 x 1k laps of 600m/200m jog/200m hard with 2 minute recoveries. The option was there for no session because of Dunshaughlin but decided to do 6; more to get the legs turning over at a decent rate than anything else.

600 splits: 2:14;2:12;2:07;2:07;2:08 and 2:07
    200 splits: all between 40-42

An interesting session and good to get a but of leg turn over.

Wendesay: 6.2 miles @ 8.18 another loop of Malahide Castle after work.

Friday: 4 miles at 8.56 Estuary Loop around Swords/Malahide very easy ran the first mile with a few from work....ideal run for the day.

Saturday: Dunshaughlin 10k: A race that I enjoyed last year but was ultimately a disappointing result in my 2018 quest to break 40; so this was one I was looking forward to; didn't really have huge expectations after taking the foot off the pedal a little since the Bob Heffernan 5k between a busy couple of weeks in work and holidays so was treating this as a free shot at a decent time.

A quick chat with Skyblue and Sheep fresh off the Docklands 5k before a short warm up run. A pretty perfect evening for racing.

Lined about 5 rows or so from the front and we were off; knew the first km or so was going to be quick enough with the down hill start into the village. Through the first km in 3.42 quick but not stupid.

The second km takes you out the village and onto the back roads Sheep went past me at some point during this km through km 2 in 3.44.

KMs 3-6 are pretty much on a straight road before swinging right and heading back towards the town. Could feel myself working harder than I would like here and got pretty isolated and exposed to the breeze that was out there; felt like my feet were roasting as well! Knew from early that this was a case of gutsing things out. Splits: 3.43; 3.50; 3.50 and 3.50.

Official split of 19.04 for 5k.

Knew that there was a tough km coming for km 7; have to shamelessly admit that I spotted Sheep in the distance when we took the right turn up the hill so used him as a bit of a pacer/focus point for the remainder of the race. Worked hard to keep the pace up but new the finish was kind enough once we created the final hill. Pushed on as much as I could towards the end. Last 4 km on the watch were 3.55;3
    56; 3.47 and 3.45. Official chip time 38.09 pretty much an even split for the 2 5ks. Looking back to 2018 I ran 40.21 so a good chunk off over the last year. A new PB aswell to boot.

Happy to get across the line in a race where I did not really feel comfortable in from early on but just gritted through it when it would have been easy to cruise in for the last 5/6ks. Could feel a pain on the outside of my foot on the cool down (thought it was a small stone) turns out I had a blister in a weird position; could have been the sock creased over or something and didn't feel it at all during the race.

Back to the clubhouse for an unbelievable spread of sandwiches and cakes; brief chat to Skyblue in the car park afterwards. A successful night for the club with a good few individual prizes and placing in both the Women's and Mens teams.

A cracking race and one to put in your diaries for 2019.

Sunday: Met the lads at the club but let them off as I just done an easy 6.4 miles or so.

Have decided not to run Kilcock next Friday as I don't see a huge benefit from doing it just want to get back to sessions for the next couple of weeks; may go out for a watch though. Going to have a look at the Bettystown 5 mile as well as a possible July race.

Cheers C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Excellent post holiday racing there C.

There's a photo on Lindie Naughton's zenfolio with yourself and RayCun running side by side, with Sheep just over your shoulder. Looking forward to having a crack at Bettystown myself.

Weekly Update 48 miles for the week.

Monday: 6.8 miles at 8.30 per mile mostly on the trails in the Phoenix Park. Kept the pace nice and easy after Dunshaughlin.

Tuesday: Session on the Polo Grounds; session was spilt into reps of 2 full laps of the Polos with 800m on 200m jog recovery 600m on 200m jog 200m hard. An interesting and hayfever filled session; made worse by the fact the Polo pitch was being cut! Session was 5 reps but opted for 4 after racing at the weekend.

Splits (800s) 3:07;2:59;2:58;2:58 (600s) 2:17;2:13;2:24;2:14 (200s) 40;42;42;38

A good solid session

Wednesday 6.3 miles @ 8.06 out after work for a lap of Malahide Castle.

Thursday: 6.1 miles @ 8.11 ran down from house to meet the real boss. Legs were feeling pretty tired to be honest after running 7 days on the spin.

Friday: No running but headed to Kilcock to watch the 5k.

Saturday: Session on the Polos 16 x 300s off 200m recoveries. Splits started at 67 and worked down to 61 for the last few.

Sunday: A stomach churning (detour to the team rooms required) 12 miles in the park from the club pace was about 7.52. Will be uploaded to Strava at some point!

June mileage was about 140 miles which considering I done the square root of FA on holiday wasn't too bad. Official 10k PB set in Dunshaughlin also.

July should see a bit of an increase in mileage with DCM training on the horizon.

Racing planned over the next month or so is Bettystown 5 mile; home for the local 10k on the first weekend in August and the Donore trip to Galway the second weekend in August for the streets of Galway. The only other race I am planning before the marathon in the Tullamore 1/2; if I do the Dublin 1/2 I am planning on running this at MP.

Still thinking of the simplistic approach of following the club session on Tuesdays and Saturdays during marathon training with an increase on the Thursday midweek mileage to approx 12 miles. Sunday will be the long run.May even drop from 6 to 5 days running but open to suggestions on this.

C

• Advertisement

Been a couple of weeks since the last log update; but will get this out there in a brief form and get logging again.

Week starting July 1st: A solid 52 mile week. 2 sessions

1500 x 5 off 500m recoveries; all reps just under the 6 minute mark for the Tuesday session.

Broke through 1000m for the year on Wednesday short run.

The Saturday session was a revisit to one we had done about 5 weeks ago and was 10 x 200s off 200m recoveries 3 minute jog then 5km of 100m on 100m off.

Threw in a long run of 14 miles on the Sunday.

Update for this week: A touch over 35 miles.

Monday: 6 miles @ 8.42 from Swords into Malahide; easy miles after the session/long run.

Tuesday: 10 x 800 off 200 recoveries; a warm and humid evening on the polo grounds. Reps 1 to 9 were 3.07-3.10 range pushed the last one a bit for 3.04 a tough one in the conditions. Tuesday sessions will see longer reps for marathon training.

Entertaining visitors on Wednesday so the day was spent doing touristy stuff in Dublin and a few pints; a nice Wednesday off. This morphed into Thursday off as I was just wrecked.

Friday: A break with my normal day off and just under 6.5 miles at 8.17 around Malahide Castle.

Saturday and Sunday were just keep the leg moving efforts with a planned tilt at the 5 mile PB on Tuesday.

Also talk of a long run this coming Sunday in the hills behind Tallaght.

C

Weekly Update just shy of 50 miles for the week over 5 days. A somewhat disappointing Bettystown 5 mile; solid Saturday session and an almost 19 mile long run to round off the week.

Monday: Rest day as was running Bettystown on Tuesday.

Tuesday: Bettystown 5 mile aim 29.59 actual 30.18.

Had heard good reports about this 5 mile so stuck my name on the entry list; the decision was somewhat based on the fact that it wasn't too far from work. Had a fairly busy Tuesday afternoon with meetings so between one thing and another I didn't eat from lunch (about 1245) until after the race.

Got out to Bettystown about 1830 for a seamless number collection and just milled about the village until I spotted the two other lads from the club. A couple of easy miles to warm up by which stage I was thinking that it was very humid. Quick pre race chat with J where I double checked if his laces were tied and we were off.

The aim was to give sub 30 a lash; the same aim as another lad from the club. Went though the first 2 Miles in 5.57/5.56 but new I was working too hard. Got really caught out by the hill going into Donycarney and was also very isolated from about 2.5 miles. Knew from there that sub 30 wasn't on but pushed as much as I could but it just wasn't there.....over the line in a heap in 30.18 for 22nd place.

Caught up with J both at the finish and in th hall afterwards.....was delighted to hear he had pbd; he also gave the # of cakes on a paper plate pb a serious lash afterwards....as always a quality spread.

A bit disappointed at the end by the heat/humidity really got to me; one of those races where I got the most out of it. A nice 2nd spot in the team which was a bonus. A solid showing all things considered.

Wednesday: 7.2 miles @ 8.09 tour around Malahide legs ok.

Thursday: 6.5 miles @ 7.55 lap of Malahide Castle. I need to watch the pace on these runs it is creeping up.....not really paying attention to the watch.

Saturday: Session on the Polo Grounds 20 x 200m off 200 recoveries. All reps between 45 and 41 not eyes out but a solid session.

Sunday: 18.8 miles @ 8.26. A departure from the usual Phoenix Park loop. 4 of us headed out to Tallaght to around the Bohernabreena Reservoir and up the hills towards the Military Road.....definitely the steepest climbs I have had. Longest run since DCM 16 but didn't feel too bad afterwards.

Bit of cramp after driving home; will need to look at the nutrition. Bit of toast before leaving and a good bit of water and that was it. Will suss out zero tabs I think.

Next on the agenda are the local 10k at home at the start of August and the DH trip to the Streets of Galway the following week. Would like to give the 10k a lash but will probably bring my long run forward to the Friday of Streets of Galway.

C

Weekly Update 51.5 miles for the week.

Monday: 6.1 miles @ 8.37 mostly on the grass in the Phoenix Park. Legs fairly whacked after the long run the previous day.

Tuesday: Session on the Polo Grounds. Session was 8 x 1km with a 2 minute recovery ( mostly due to the heat/humidity) the plan was to do these at roughly tempo pace. Plan was to run these at about 4 minutes per rep....all between 4.00 and 4.02 so job done.

The intensity of the session will be dropping for marathon training and most of these will be done at tempo/10k pace as opposed to 5/3k pace.

Wednesday: 6.3 miles at 8.09 per mile; a nice run from work around Malahide Castle.

Thursday: A tight for time 4 miles from work around the Swords Estuary @ 7.45. Over the next 6 weeks the Thursday run will be upped to the be the mid week mid length run.

Friday: A day spent walking around Tayto Park.

Saturday: Session on the Polo Grounds 20 x 400s with 100m recoveries at about 10k pace. 19 of the reps between 93 and 95 seconds.....one outlier of 99 seconds where there was too much chatting going on! A couple of hour walk in the afternoon with the real boss had the legs fairly tired and a bit of tightness in the left calf.....blaming the trainers worn on the walk.

Sunday: 16 miles @ 7.46. All in the park this week so slightly less elevation than last Sunday's run. Tried a Hi 5 Aqua Gel and it seemed fairly agreeable on the stomach; fuelling was something I got pretty wrong the last time I ran the marathon so will need to work on this. Tightness still there in the calf.

Heading back to Scotland for the bank holiday weekend so will be giving the local 10k a go....may not be an all put effort though; probably won't squeeze in a long run next weekend.

C

Weekly Update

Just the 4 days/30 miles for the week a trip back home where I ran the local 10k and not wanting to rip the p*ss by running again yesterday put paid to the long run.

Monday: 6.3 miles @ 8.18 per mile mostly on the trails in the Phoenix Park.

Tuesday: Session on the Polo Grounds and a totally different one to anything that we had done before. Starting off at the clock by the club house we jogged to our normal lap start point on the opposite side then ran 10 full laps of approximately 960m; alternating between 1 lap at approx tempo effort and one lap at a steady pace; quicker laps were around 3.55 and the steady at around 4.25 for them all. The last couple were a bit quicker; a tough session in the heat with a total time of 43 minutes; sweating buckets from about half way.

Wendesay: Had an appointment in Maynooth so took the gear and got changed straight afterwards and headed out along the canal for 6.3 miles at 7.45 per mile.

Had planned on getting out on Thursday but had a few things to do before heading to Scotland on Friday.

Saturday: The first Saturday in August is the annual 10k/half marathon at home; so thought I would give the 10k a go. Both the races are a straight out and back along the coast which is pretty flat with a few rolling inclines closer to the town. Would be a good course for a time in the right conditions (both the course and the body) with the exception of running on an uneven footpath for the most part. Ended up not really doing a warm up as I got chatting to a lad I hadn't seen since school before we started; I wasn't too fussed as this wasn't really being raced anyway.

Small enough field (about 150) so started pretty much on the front row and we headed off; it was a warm morning on the Costa Del Clyde so I knew it was going to be tough enough. Went out at a decent pace round the 180 degree turning point and through 5k in about 19.12 or so. The second half was straight back into the wind so knew it was going to be tougher. Reckoned I was in about 11th place at this point and past a couple of lads over the next km or so; could see the next runner a good bit in the distance and wasn't even remotely enthused about pushing it too much. Legs were feeling pretty heavy as well and reckon it is time for new trainers as there feels like there is no responsiveness in them; might hit Run Hub today. Wouldn't say that I cruised home but just kept a steady pace and got across the line in 39.45. Straight for an ice cream afterwards and watched the last end of the 10k and the first few in the half coming home; was very tempted to go for a swim straight after it; plenty it the water so shows how hot it was. Back home for a late lunch and a few beers afterwards; followed by more beers and a meal out later. Great to get home for a couple of days.

DH trip to Galway this weekend for the Streets of Galway 8k another race that I will just be getting through and not really racing may even do a long run Friday; should be a good weekend with a few beers afterwards. After that it will be all roads lead to Dublin.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

DH trip to Galway this weekend for the Streets of Galway 8k another race that I will just be getting through and not really racing may even do a long run Friday; should be a good weekend with a few beers afterwards. After that it will be all roads lead to Dublin.

What's the Dublin target and plan? sub-3 and following what the club does?

• Advertisement

Alright B;

I am thinking somewhere about 3.05 for Dublin; I am not sure sub three is there and am sort of apprehensive as it is only the second crack at the distance and will be a bit different from the novice inspired 2016 run.

In terms of a plan you will probably notice on Strava that the Tuesday club session are being a bit more tailored towards the marathon now (1ks/1600/continual 10k and 2ks on the agenda soon as well). Saturday I will follow the club session again but the intensity will be dialled back to allow for the Sunday Long Run.

Will give Tullamore a lash at the end of August and have a more definite time in mind then.

I was stalking your plan earlier; are you planning on 16 miles as the longest run? You have had good results from your previous attempts; what's the target this year?
    Singer wrote: »
    What's the Dublin target and plan? sub-3 and following what the club does?

Weekly Update.

45 Miles over 5 days.

Monday: 6.7 miles @ 8.03 per mile; made use of the bank holiday Monday and met one of the lads at the club for a loop in the Phoenix Park.

Tuesday: Session on the Polo Grounds 6 x 1 mile intervals off a 400m recovery.

First three reps were 6.29; picked up the next few to finish off with a 6.16. A touch over 7.75 miles covered in the session so the longest one for a while.

Wednesday: A touch over 7 miles @ 7.57 per miles with a loop of the Swords Estuary/Malahide Castle.....had company for the first couple miles with one of the lads from work. Was just getting finished when the heavens opened.

Thursday: With the impeding trip to Galway this week's long run was braught forward. 13.8 miles @ 7.42.

Was still debating on the route for this on the way to the club. Ended up running through Chapelizod/Kilmainham and down the Canal; cut off at The Barge and down Harcourt Steet and pretty much doing the marathon course from Stepehens Green back to Donore. It had been a while since I ran long on my own; felt ok on the run but was glad to stop in Castleknock for a drink. I think as part of marathon training I will get a couple of longer runs done on my own to get out of the comfort zone of running with the lads.

Saturday: A good crew from the Club headed down the Galway for the Streets of Galway 8k; to say the rain was biblical when we arrived would be an understatement!

Wasn't really sure how the legs would be after Thursday so had no real expectations. Ran as hard as I could in what turned out to not be the worst evening for a run ( biggest issue was the surface water on the route) got home in 30.09 A solid effort after the 10k in Scotland last weekend a tough session on Tuesday and a long run Thursday.

A race I would definitely recommend if you get a chance to run it; a very fair course.

Well hydrated afterwards with a great night out in Galway;so a day off is the order of the day today.

Back to the normality of 2 sessions next week and work on getting the diet under control in the build up to Dublin.

Weekly Update

6 Days with 59 miles clocked up; biggest mileage week I have had.

Monday: 6.6 miles @ 7.58 per mile. Headed out from work through Malahide Castle and into the back of Malahide Village; a loop I do a fait bit. Legs ok after Galway but just generally lethargic from the weekend away.

Tuesday: Session on the Polo Grounds; the last few weeks the Tuesday sessions have been building up in terms of distance. This week was 10 x 1kms off a 90 second recovery. High 3.5xs for most of the 1kms with a couple slightly snappier ones; a tough session after the weekend.

Wednesday: 6.5 miles at 8.15 per mile; solo loop in the Phoenix Park where I kept mostly to the trails.

Thursday: Just over 9 miles at 7.51 per mile got this done before work straight out the coast road and back. The plan is to build this Thursday run up to 12 miles over the coming weeks; this will mean I will probably need to do this after work.

Friday: A rest day was required and a rest day was taken.

Saturday: Fartlek session on pretty much the Dublin Novice XC loop; the DH favourite spot for Autumn/Winter Saturday session.

400/100/300/200 with equal recoveries. Kept the pace up for the 5 laps without going "eyeballs out".

Sunday: 18 miles @ 7.54 all in the Phoenix Park; legs tired but an pretty even paced set of miles; I wasn't feeling great kicking off but got it done. Also the second time trying the High 5 Aqua gels had one at about 9.5 miles as we looped past the club; they seem to agree with the stomach so far.....need to see how a few go down though.

With the session on Saturday the long runs are being done on tired legs.

More of the same this week but going to try and do the Monday/Wednesay runs pre work and may dial these back to 4/5 miles; with the Thursday run increasing this will be an after work stint and don't want to take to much advantage at home.

Tullamore in 2 weeks which will be the last race before the marathon. 10 weeks to stay injury/sickness free!

C

Been a couple of weeks since the last update.

Week Starting August 19th

Monday an easy 5.4 miles at 8.34 per mile

Tuesday 10 x 600s off approx 300m recoveires 2.18 down to 2.09 for the reps it was harder than it should have been.

Wednesday unplanned rest day was feeling pretty wrecked and also had a family dinner so listened to the body.

Thursday 10 miles @ 7.28 A straight out and back 10 miles along the Malahide/Portmarnock coast. A familiar route from DCM 2016 training. Legs felt good after the Wednesay rest.

Saturday 14 x 400s off 200 recoveries. 90-94 secs for the reps and dipped under 90 for the last one.

Sunday 15 Miles @ 8.02 shorter than planned but was up against it time wise.

Week Starting August 26th
    47 Miles for the week including the Tullamore 1/2

Monday: 6.3 miles of a loop from work/around Malahide Castle @ 7.53. Felt it very humid especially once I stopped.

Tuesday:A cheat session of laps of the Polos with 400s thrown in with Tullamore in mind.

Wednesday: A slightly extended Malahide Castle Loop 7miles at 7.54.

Thursday: A normal run day but took it off and ran Friday instead.

Friday: I think I have a better race if I do some miles the day before so an early 4 miles at 7.58 per mile before work. Barely getting bright when I headed out.

Saturday: Tullamore 1/2 a race I heard great reports about. A class host venue and a very fair if undulating course...not much of it is ran on the flat. A bit breezy as we lined up for the off. Plan was to beat the PB of 87.54 from Bohermeen. I wasn't really sure how it would go as I had been pretty tired all week.

Won't go into too much detail but it was a solid showing where I had to work harder than expected in the early to middle miles but built into it.....it wasn't easy and there was a deluge for about 10-15 minutes. Crossed the line in 86.11 (official time) in a sodden state from the rain.

Happy enough with how it went but there is definitely more in there.

Sunday: A shortened Sunday of just under 8 miles at 7.52; stiff legged at the start but much better towards the end. Glad to get it done. Back home to watch the big match where I am happy to report the boys in blue lost to the Celts!

After Tullamore I think it is time to nail the colour to the mast for the marathon. I have decided that I will be happy to give sub 3.10 a lash and see where it goes from there; I am just a bit concerned about how the body will react towards the end. A solid month in September will hopefully finalise the thoughts.

A bit of a skewed week this week as I am running the GT5k with work....madness to give it a lash after the weekend or just tempo around?

Cheers C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

You'll be well under 3:10. You're in great shape. Hopefully a few good long runs this month helps you believe.

Thanks Sean; planning on getting a couple of 20+ milers in during September.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    You'll be well under 3:10. You're in great shape. Hopefully a few good long runs this month helps you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

skyblue46 wrote: »

Totally agree, 3:10 should be well within reach.

Excellent time! sub-3:10 is there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

3:10 is definitely very achievable based on your results this year. In fact I'd say you'd be closer to 3:05 if all goes well on the day. Top class weekend all right, starting with a HM PB, and then the Hoops putting Sevco to the sword :D

HH

J.

Thanks for the positive comments lads; could maybe be erring a slight bit on the side of caution. Could be the memories of the last 5 miles or so in 2016 when I tried to run 3.40 in the novice group.

• Advertisement

Weekly Update
    57.6 miles for the week over 6 days.

Monday: 6.3 miles @ 8.19 per mile; a loop of Malahide Castle after work. Legs were fairly feeling it after the 1/2 marathon in Tullamore.

Tuesday: 6.7 miles @ 8.34 per mile; headed down to the Polos for an easy jog around before the Grant Thornton 5k on Wednesday. The only thing of note from Tuesday was getting bitten by something on the Polos;a lovely bite mark which is still red and a bit swollen today.

Wendesay: we had a couple of teams from work entered in the Grant Thornton 5k an event I had done previously a couple of times and enjoyed. There was two aims for this 1. Put in a solid effort after Tullamore and 2. Don't do anything stupid.

Got round in a solid 18.31 and was surprised how the body was at the end. A couple of pints in the Harbourmaster to round off the evening then home.

Thursday: 11.5 miles at 8.22 per mile. A loop from Swords through Malahide and into the back of Portmarnock village before taking the shore route back to Swords. One that I was glad to get to the end of as the legs were feeling it.

Saturday: Session on the Magazine Loop in the Phoenix Park. Fartlek of 1km/350 off/ 350 on/ 200 off times 5; an extended loop of the Dublin Novice course and a prep session for those racing it. Took the first couple at moderate effort and pushed the last couple.

Sunday: 20 miles @ 7.49 per mile. The first 20 miler for a long time. Mostly in the Phoenix Park with a Memorial Park section thrown in aswell. Felt comfortable enough on the run. Took a High 5 Aqua gel at roughly 10 miles when we went past the club and also some water with a zero tab thrown in. Both seemed to agree with me so will stick with these on marathon day.

A good solid week. More of the same for this week;we have an interesting session on Saturday with a 1hr run on the Polo Grounds. Coach reckons this will be a good one for mental toughness on marathon day; will probably run this a PMP so may drop the mileage on Sunday to 16 or so.

C

Another nice week. That's a great 5k time a few days after a half and in the middle of marathon training! Is the polo grounds session on grass?

Cheers B was happy with the 5k effort. The polo ground session is on the grass but to be fair the ground is so hard it will be like being on the road.

May bump the place slightly to account for the surface though; it is going to be a bit of a hamster wheel session should get close to 9 miles which is 15 laps of the Polos!
    Singer wrote: »
    Another nice week. That's a great 5k time a few days after a half and in the middle of marathon training! Is the polo grounds session on grass?

Weekly Update 65 miles for the week and the first time going over the 60 mile mark.

Monday: A easy 6 miles at 8.43 per mile. Out early before work and ran as loop from Swords around the tennis courts in Malahide and back.

Tuesday. Session and the last Tuesday on the Polo Grounds for the year.

10 x 800s with a 200m recovery. Took it nice and comfortable for the first few in 3.20/3.15/3.09 consistently 3.05 for the next 6 then 2.56 for the last one. A session where I felt strong towards the end.

Wednesday: Out early again same loop as Monday 8.34 per mile. Trying to keep the easy days easy.

Thursday. Just under 11.5 miles @ 8.01 per mile. Out along the coast from Swords to Portmarnock before cutting up past Malahide Golf Club and back to Swords. Legs tired on this one.

Saturday: A session that had been on the plan for awhile. 1 hour of doing laps on the Polo Grounds. Each lap is approximately 960m; coach had been up early and had the following markers out.

1km/1mile/3 miles/5k/6miles and 10 miles.

My plan was to run this at 7mimutes per mile which is pretty much what happened. The first 20 minutes of the laps were the worst after that I sort of zoned out and churned out the laps. 14 laps and about 300m completed. The purpose of this was to try a replicate the mental side of the marathon. And unbelievably the 10 mile mark was hit by one of the lads.

A couple of things noted from session....the Garmin is useless when running lad of the Polos against the correctly measured distance by the coach and there is fair bit of discrepancy between watches.

Sunday: 20 miler @ 7.45 almost the same route as last week with a bit of adding on miles/laps of the track at the end to hit 20. Felt reasonably comfortable apart from the legs being tired.

2 Hi-5 Aqua Gels taken which seem to agree with me.

A solid week and one which will have to be replicated in the next couple of weeks.

C

Weekly Update
    55 Miles over 6 days; a bit of a meh week to be honest; one of those weeks where running seems to be a chore......the collective affect of training maybe.

Monday: Just over 6 miles @ 8.26 on what is becoming the go to 50ish minute run from work into Malahide Village/loop around the tennis courts and back to Swords around the shore/Yellow Walls route.

Tuesday: Back on the track for this first time since about April 10 x 600s off a 300m recovery. Splits were 2.24;2.22;2.22;2.17;2.12;2.14;2.11;2.07;2.06 and 2.02

A session that started off moderately enough but ended with a bit of a blast over the last few reps. Something that I probably keep an eye on!

Wednesday: Out early before work on the same loop as Monday; just over 6 miles @ 8.40 bit of pain in the hip/upper thigh area after the track session.

Thursday: 10.2 miles at 7.52 pretty much straight out and back to Portmarnock with one of the lads from work.

Saturday: Opening XC Race with DH and a warm up for those doing the Novice in a couple of weeks; didn't go to mad here and just tipped around at tempo pace as the young lads sailed off into the sunset.

Sunday: Just over 16 miles at 7.45 per mile fairly miserable morning; looped back to the club after 10 miles and was so wet I actually threw on a dry t-shirt. A quick check of the egg chasing score (confirmed running was the sensible option) and out for another 6 miles. Up the Glen Road and through the Fury Glen along Furze onto Chesterfiled Avenue and followed the marathon route back to the club. Kept going at a decent clip and tried to get a gel into me at some sort of pace.

The runners have picked up an annoying habit of the insoles shifting when they are wet; will need to pick up some new ones. Any recommendations welcome.

Thinking of doing a 23 miler this weekend; the thought process being that at Sunday run pace this should hopefully be longer time on the feet than marathon day.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 39 crockmac

The runners have picked up an annoying habit of the insoles shifting when they are wet; will need to pick up some new ones. Any recommendations welcome.

These are pretty decent, and a good price. They're a similar fit to the 4%ers but less squishy. Ran around them in the lashing rain on Sunday evening and they held up ok.
    https://www.nike.com/ie/t/zoom-fly-flyknit-running-shoe-W70Nzv/AR4561-400

I really need an affiliate marketing link for these runners, I think there's been at least 10 pairs bought from my recommendations :D

You should get a commission deal with those sort of returns! Was hoping a change of insole would do the trick.

crockmac wrote: »
    These are pretty decent, and a good price. They're a similar fit to the 4%ers but less squishy. Ran around them in the lashing rain on Sunday evening and they held up ok.
    https://www.nike.com/ie/t/zoom-fly-flyknit-running-shoe-W70Nzv/AR4561-400

I really need an affiliate marketing link for these runners, I think there's been at least 10 pairs bought from my recommendations :D

62 Miles for the week and also the peak distance for the Sunday Long runs.

Monday: Just over 6 miles at 8.12 per mile on the customary Swords/Malahide Loop from work through the village/ round the tennis courts and back again.

Tuesday: Scheduling meant we were back on the track this week; we will be alternating road/track from here on.

Session was 6 x 1200m which on our 300m track is repetitive enough. After going at last Tuesdays 300s a bit over enthusiastically it was time to be sensible. Splits were
    4.52/4.42/4.43/4.42/4.46 and 4.40 300m recoveries with 2 mile warm up and cool down.

Wednesday was interesting; we have been running a couch to 5k program in work and Wednesday was our final 5k. I said I would pace on of the lads who wanted to run between 26.5 and 26.00 came in bang on 26 and he was delighted with himself; not the easiest thing to do on 15 laps of the football pitch.
    4 Miles @ 8.29 per mile around the estuary afterwards.

Thursday: A slightly shorter run than the previous 3 as I knew I had a big weekend and the lad I was running with was doing Berlin (3.03!) as a long run in prep for Dublin. 7.59 @ 7.59 pace ( I only just noticed that doing the log!)

Saturday session on the mag 1375m loop; pretty much the Novice route. 400/200/400/375 were the reps....ran the 400s at approx tempo pace and 6 were the order of the day with 23 planned for Sunday. Not much speed in the legs and glad to get it done.

Sunday 23 miles @ 8.00 per mile. Started off at Donore and ran the marathon route to the finish; the Dubs 8 in a row celebrations put paid to joining the start of the route but we picked it up at Stephens Green where we followed the route until the American Embassy and cut back to the club. Heading up through Stoneybatter was a different prospect after 20 odd miles.
    Good to see that end of the course and it certainly looks different when you start at the 10 mile mark. On the feet for just north of 3 hours hoping for something similar in a month.

The week coming will be more of the same but will be bringing Sunday down to 18/19 miles today was the 3rd and last 20miler I have planned. Will also be on stewarding duty at the Dublin Novice on Sunday.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Sunday 23 miles @ 8.00 per mile.

Epic! Great run.

• Advertisement

And the wheels on the marathon bus go round and round.....50 miles for the week over 5 days.

Monday: Had planned a few easy miles; had a random sore feeling (I would go as far to say pain) in my left knee and ended up not getting home from work until after 1900 so listened to the body and took a day off.

Did manage to get some foam rolling/vibration plate stuff done in work during lunch though.

Tuesday: Session and our first one on the road since about mid April; 8 x 800s with a fairly generous 400m recovery. Strict instructions of nothing more than tempo pace allowed. Splits were 3.24/3.20/3.24/3.23/3.07/3.13/3.05/3.04

A decent session with a few quicker 800s thrown in.

Wendesay: 7.5 miles @ 8.10 out along the shore road from Swords/Malahide towards Portmarnock.

Thursday: 6 miles @ 8.11 down into Malahide around the tennis courts and back to work. A bit of a damp squib as it was not the Lorenzo battering I thought.

Friday: Was due to be our annual work race around the Swords Estuary but we had to call it off because of flooding.....most likely means I won't run it now.

Saturday: 19 miles @ 7.52 per mile; had to bring the long run forward as was on Stewarding duty at the Dublin Novice. Kept all the run in the Phoenix Park; quick stop at the club after 10miles for water with a zero tab. The last few miles were a bit of a grind but got them done.

Sunday: Just under 7 miles @ 8.19 per mile. Nothing too much to report a run just to get the legs moving. The rest of the day until mod afternoon was spent helping out at the Dublin Novice XC; some great racing on display. Had a quick chat with Wubble on his warm up before the men's event and he looked to be moving fairly well throughout.

Planning about the same mileage next week And will be bringing the weekend run down to 16; will do the session Tuesday but more likely at marathon pace.

C

Advertisement