Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The (Not So) Flying Scotsman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Weekly Update 50 miles for the week over 6 days.

Monday: 4 miles at 7.59 per mile; a short spin around the Swords/Malahide Estuary.

Tuesday: Session day we were due to be on the track so I text the coach to get his thoughts on this; gave the option of 6 x 1 mile off a 400 recovery so opted for those. Wanted to run them at something close to MP.
    Splits were 7.02;7.01;6.58;7.02;6.59;6.59

Just me and one of the other lads; bit of a hamster wheel session on the road outside the club. Just shy of 11.5 miles for the evening.

Wednesday: 5.45 miles at 8.01 an extended estuary run from work; good bit of tightness in the left calf after the session which actually eased on the run ( bit of time foam rolling and on the vibration plate aswell). Also got soaked in a biblical shower!

Thursday: 5.4 miles at 8.38 left from the club for a small loop in the park followed by the club AGM (epic!).

Saturday: Session on the extended magazine loop. Fartlek of 400/200/400/200/400/250. Nothing more than tempo pace.

Sunday: 16.3 miles at 7.36 per mile on what the Irish would term a "soft" morning. Got a shout or from Wubble at the Castleknock Gates just after the first 3 miles. A run where there weather wasn't the kindest and there was a lot of puddle splashing going on. My New Balance runners definitely do not like the rain and had issues with the insoles again; picked up some from Run Hub that I wore on my 23 miler; they have a bit of a slapping noise when I run but they will be getting put back in.

A run that was completed at a decent lick and I felt comfortable enough on.

This week the mileage will come down and I might throw in a second rest day. Will listen to the coach for the Tuesday session. Will be cutting out the treat food and upping the vitamin intake aswell.

C

Weekly Update

40 Miles over 6 days.

Monday: 4 miles @ 9.06. Was showing one of the work couch to 5k lads the route around the Swords/Malahide Estuary. Nice easy miles.

Tuesday: Session down at the club 10 x 400s on the flat while the non marathon folks ran 400s on the hill from Chapelizod to Palmerstown. Was supposed to be at tempo pace but it probably crept up for the last few.

Wendesay: 6 miles @ 8.23 loop from work around the tennis courts in Malahide and back.

Thursday: A straight out and back 8 miles along the coast from Swords towards Portmarnock; 7.52 per mile.

Saturday: An easy 6 miles around the pitches in the Phoenix Park.

Sunday: 9 miles @ 7.39 per mile; the normal loop from the club but peeled off at the top of the Kyber back to the club. That was plenty for today.

So that's pretty much that for marathon training; mostly easy miles for this week. May take tomorrow off and head to the session on Tuesday and just do the warm up/cool down and a few pickups. Few miles Wednesday/Thursday and Saturday with a bit of a long run Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Great block of training C. Nice and easy this week!

Thanks A; same for you this week aswell!
    Great block of training C. Nice and easy this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Best of luck Craig. I have a feeling you might be in the record books on Sunday night for the biggest chunk ever knocked off a marathon PB! Haha

• Advertisement

Cheers Sean I might have agreed with you last week; let's just say this week has not been vintage to say the least.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Best of luck Craig. I have a feeling you might be in the record books on Sunday night for the biggest chunk ever knocked off a marathon PB! Haha

Best of luck on Sunday C. Have a great race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck C. See you tomorrow after hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Dunno what happened to you this week, but you have some great training to put to use anyway. Start off easy enough and build from there. Hope it goes well!

Thanks B; I am blaming the Fingal water in work! Like you said plenty of training in the legs anyway!
    Singer wrote: »
    Dunno what happened to you this week, but you have some great training to put to use anyway. Start off easy enough and build from there. Hope it goes well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Thanks B; I am blaming the Fingal water in work! Like you said plenty of training in the legs anyway!

Oh cr@p! (too soon?)

FWIW I had food poisoning last year 8 days before the marathon. I think the weight loss helped :)

Make sure you hydrate loads and eat well today.

Never too soon for a bit of stick! I have been thinking oh sh*t for most of the week anyway!

Singer wrote: »
    Oh cr@p! (too soon?)

FWIW I had food poisoning last year 8 days before the marathon. I think the weight loss helped :)

Make sure you hydrate loads and eat well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Best of luck tomorrow C.

DCM 2019 A long journey with thankfully not too many bumps along the way.

Joining the novice group in 2016 is really what got me started running properly and with any structure; under the expert guidance of the mentors I hauled myself round in 3.46. A solid 3 years of structured training with DH had me in really good shape for a tilt at the marathon this year.
    The pre race week hadn't fully gone to plan with some sickness and stomach cramping blighting the start of the week (I even took medication which is not like me!); wasn't ideal preparation but the hard work had been done; to be honest if the marathon was on Monday-Wednesday of last week I wouldn't have been running. Some words of encouragement on here and from the lads in the club and I told myself to man up and get on with it.....whats the worst the could happen?? A DNF or a Paula Radcliffe moment were the worst case scenarios......and Singer kindly pointed out I would be going into the marathon light at least!
    An easy 4 miles on Saturday was the sum total of my running before the marathon.

Had slept great all week but had a poor sleep on Saturday evening; up at 0600 for my toast with strawberry jam and some coffee/electrolyte drink before getting dropped into town by the real boss and making my way to the baggage drop area.

Had a slight concern about what was going on when there was no movement to the baggage area before 0755; anyway bag dropped and had a chat to one of the lads from work before making my way to the start area. Caught up with a few from club before making a final pit stop and getting to the start line.

Had wanted to go out with the 3.10 pacer but got caught a bit with the toilet break and ended up behind the 3.20 balloon. Anyway not to worry no point having a panic with 26.2 miles to run!

Just going to take the pacing off the marathon timing although I am not sure the 1/2 way split is correct (could be me forgetting the time on my watch though).

Went off at what felt like a steady pace with the 3.10 pace balloon approximately 30 seconds ahead. Congested enough until we got down onto the Quays but not too bad. Didn't bother with the water station in Stoneybatter (is it really needed?). Up the NCR and into my second home; the Phoenix Park. Gave Skyblue a shout out on Chesterfield and felt ok while gaining on the 3.10 pacers before joining the back of the group before leaving the park.

Through 10k in 44.05. Had planned to take a gel before here but stuck to the water.

Through Castleknock (great spot) and on the way down to the park someone asked the lead 3.10 balloon what pace we were on and he said 20 seconds up.....so I reckoned I was about 50 up. Thought I would just stick with him for a few miles keep the pace under control. As we entered the park the pacer made a pit stop and that was the last time I saw of them.

Told myself not to get carried away with the downhill section in the park; watched beeped for the 9 mile marker way ahead of the mark;this is something that would have freaked me out before but I know just to let these things slide. Out the park and got some great cheers from Donore Harriers crew at the water station. Plenty of DH in Chaplelizod aswell offering support. Met Mrs Scotindublin here (who afterwards told me I looked horrendous!) and picked up another gel and electrolyte drink from her; sipped on this for a few miles but it wasn't going down too easy. Great support through Kilmanham. Was just trying to keep the pace even enough judging it by effort.

Through 20k in 1.27.49 and pushed through 1/2 in 1.32.22 although I thought it was 1.33.43 on my watch; mind could be playing tricks.

This is a part of the route that I knew was going to be about keeping things under control and getting through the miles; for some reason I had a total wobble around here and had to have a good talk to myself. I knew when I got to Walkinstown there was a friendly enough couple of miles coming up. Took on a gel here as I could feel the energy levels dropping also felt a slight twinge in the hammer. Some poor lad clipped the barrier going onto Fortfield road and took a nasty tumble. Through 17 miles and let the hill do the work through 18 miles and onto the 30km mark.

Through 30km in 2.11.51: suck it up for an hour and it will be over. It was about this point in 2016 that things started to go South for me. Got a nice shout out from Overpronator around the Dropping Well pub and he pointed out to me that he could tell I was in full marathon mode at this point. I won't lie I was starting to really struggle around here another gel in the system and unbelievably a water station with cups.....almost choked/ made myself sick trying to drink from it. Could feel the calfs and hamstrings tighten and was spraying water over my legs (is that even sensible!). Was getting loads of shouts of come on Donore which helped. Up over Heart Break Hill and down Fosters Avenue could really feel the hammer starting to go. Pulled off to the side of the road and stretched it out for about 20/30 seconds.

It wa time to dig in big time.....up the flyover and UCD where one of the lads from work was boom hammer goes again....stop and the lamppost and stretch again; some poor lad ran over with a little kid to see if I was ok....explained it was just a cramp but a nice gesture from him non the less. Just get down to the bottom of Nutley Lane; calf spasms going down here but just pound my foot into the ground and it goes; shout out from the coach here and another drop over water; have a look back at there is no sight of the 3.10 pacer.

Down onto Merrion Road 2 miles to go and through 40k at some point here in 2.58.24 don't even remember the timing mat to be honest.

Put the head down and just get through the next 10-15 minutes; another shout out from Mrs Scotindublin just after I cross the Dodder (she reckoned I looked better here than Chapo!) barely enough energy to muster a wave.

Only one thought here just get to the finish; a shout of from Lazare and Skyblue along here (I only know this from Strava though!) I was just concentrating on the finish line. Over it in 3.08.33 absolutely delighted with it to be honest and I do it think there was much left out there; I probably lost about 30/40 seconds to stop and stretch but at the time I thought it was the sensible thing to do. 38 minutes better than the debut marathon.

Got my medal from one of the girls in the club who had spotted me which was nice and a big sweaty hug to one of my neighbours who helps out every year at the finish line!

Met up with a few of the lads from the club/work at the bag collection and everyone was in good spirits at getting the job done; no matter what your finish time is finishing a marathon is one hell of an achievement.

DCM 2019 has been a epic journey over the last few months and again the good people of Dublin excelled themselves yesterday with their unbelievable support.

Back to Toners for a couple of pints with a good crew from DH and some work lads; it was like a Saturday night in there by 1400.....getting a drink at the bar was as bad as the marathon was! Home then for a bit of food and a couple of beers; legs were in absolute tatters last night but are much better today; fine once I get moving about.

I have to admit that I found the last month or so of training a real grind and there were times that it was not hugely enjoyable; I am looking forward to a short break from running then getting back into light sessions and shorter 10/12 mile runs on a Sunday morning.....will I do another marathon? More than likely but I can't see me committing to one every year.

Apologies for the epic post!

Cheers and well done everyone who ran yesterday.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I hear you on the last month's training being a slog. It was the exact feeling I had, particularly the last 3 weeks. A full training block is no joke, no matter what the circumstances (I have no responsibilities and find it tough!!) but the reward at the end makes it all worth it.

Smashing race and smashing result, congratulations on a smashing time mate. Jingle bells next?

Thanks Damo; I am actually in Krakow when Jingle Bells is on this year so I won't even be able to volunteer at it; are you planning to give it a rattle? I might be slightly biased but it really is a cracking course for a fast time.

I will dip my toe into Cross Country over the next few months then start planning for spring on the road. Some unfinished business over 5 miles and I want to give a 10 mile a decent rattle aswell.

Super run from you yesterday aswell.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I hear you on the last month's training being a slog. It was the exact feeling I had, particularly the last 3 weeks. A full training block is no joke, no matter what the circumstances (I have no responsibilities and find it tough!!) but the reward at the end makes it all worth it.

Smashing race and smashing result, congratulations on a smashing time mate. Jingle bells next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done C. Tough start with the stomach issues during the week but you did a great job then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Tough man run there C. I'm surprised you didn't take to punching your legs. It's a now popular fix for cramps :pac: Nice to see you tidying up those PBs. Recharge the batteries and there'll be more cracking times next year.

Thanks K and very well run yesterday yourself.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done C. Tough start with the stomach issues during the week but you did a great job then.

Haha I though about it! Something that needs to be looked at if I have a crack at the marathon again.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Tough man run there C. I'm surprised you didn't take to punching your legs. It's a now popular fix for cramps :pac: Nice to see you tidying up those PBs. Recharge the batteries and there'll be more cracking times next year.

• Advertisement

Great running C, a 38 minute PB!! Interesting what you say about the half split. I was also convinced the official split showed me about a minute faster than my watch.

Thanks A and very well done on the BQ time on Sunday? A 2021 trip in the planning for you now?
    Great running C, a 38 minute PB!! Interesting what you say about the half split. I was also convinced the official split showed me about a minute faster than my watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Thanks Damo; I am actually in Krakow when Jingle Bells is on this year so I won't even be able to volunteer at it; are you planning to give it a rattle? I might be slightly biased but it really is a cracking course for a fast time.

I will dip my toe into Cross Country over the next few months then start planning for spring on the road. Some unfinished business over 5 miles and I want to give a 10 mile a decent rattle aswell.

Super run from you yesterday aswell.
    I am yeah, I have a 2 year old PB from the Clonliffe 5k that needs something to even come close to, so I am gonna give it a go.

I hear you on the 10 mile too, FD10 needs revenge.

Thanks a mill C, appreciate it.

Thanks A and very well done on the BQ time on Sunday? A 2021 trip in the planning for you now?

Hopefully. I'm 2:50 inside the standard and 2020 cut-off was 1:39. Will have to wait and see, but I'm still calling it a BQ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Nice one C. Serious PB there!!!!! Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great run there C, especially when you weren't in the whole of your health. If the training goes well and you stay healthy, sub 3 should certainly be on your radar next time out.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words after the marathon.

It has been a fairly inactive couple of weeks for me; plenty of walks the week post marathon and the legs etc were feeling relatively good by the Thursday/Friday; one thing that has taken me a bit by surprise is how tired I have been feeling since marathon day; I don't remember being this tired after 2016. But looking back my mileage in the build up was way more than then.

Over the last couple of weeks I also reckon I have doubled my alcohol consumption for the year albeit coming from a very poor base on that front; a quality night out at the 2.3 Arena for the Gerry Cinnamon gig last Saturday and a long over due night out with friends on Friday ( which had been put back for my marathon training) were both needed and enjoyable.

Like I say fairly quiet on the running front with a massive 12 miles for this week; got out on Tuesday for a 4 mile loop in the Park and just over 8 this morning aswell (forgot to restart the watch crossing the road at the zoo!). Passed the boards legend that is AMK on Chesterfield. A good bit of pain on the outside of my right foot after both runs so something I need to keep an eye on. This week will be mostly easy stuff to get the legs moving again before restarting sessions when the body feels able.

In other running news I have agreed to take over as Mens Road and Cross Country Captain for this year.

Passed up on the DCM entry email but hearing that there has been a large uptake on that so it will be interesting to see how the lottery works for those going through that route.

Cheers C

Weekly Update

30 Miles for the week.

Tuesday back down to the club and coaches order was a gentle intro back to a little bit of pace for the marathon runners. 8 x 400s with a 200m recovery nothing more than about 75% effort but good to get the legs turning over a little.

Wednesay: Had planned to run after work but the weather was brutal so 30 minutes in the gym for some core work and foam rolling/stretching which seems to have been helping with the foot ( same on Monday)

Thursday: 6 miles @ 8.33 per mile out from work down into Malahide and back; chilly enough and dark along the shore front.

Saturday: Spikes on and back to the Mag for the club session; Fartlek on our normal 1km loop. Laps were 100s/200s/300s x 2/200s/100s with the same in recoveries over the km. A bit of slipping and sliding over the mounds but a nice morning to be out in the park.

Sunday: Normal 10 mile loop @ 7.50 per mile from the Club legs were tired enough come end probably from the upped mileage this week.

Also signed up for Trim on Monday just before it sold out and I see that Bohermeen is opening for entries on Friday so I will most likely sign up for that aswell. These races seem to be selling out quickly just now.

Plan for this week is to get the diet back under control ( has gone to pot since the marathon) and try and get out for 5 runs with a couple of 30 minute gym sessions thrown in.

Weekly Update

Just shy of 39 miles for the week and through the 1900 mile mark for 2019. This is probably the first week since DCM that I have not felt totally wrecked (a bit more than that later).

Monday: About 40 minutes in the gym after work; core;foam rolling and resistance band exercises done.

Tuesday: Down to the DH session and back on the track. A couple of miles or a warm up then 12 x 300s with a 300 recovery instructions were to not push things to hard a good bit of banter amongst a group of 6 of us who each took turns leading out the reps.

Splits were 67;66;65;65;65;62;65;64;61;64;64;64

A couple of miles to cool down.

Wednesday: 4.75 miles @ 8.19 after work; head torch on for a splash around the Swords Estuary.

Thursday: 7.5 miles @ 8.20 a 3.75 mile straight out and back along the Malahide Coast.

Friday: Day off

Saturday: Session in the park; the longer loop of the Magazine Loop and the course for the Garda XC I think. Going was very soft and the hills really took it out the legs. Post session coffee/cake and marathon chat in the club.

Sunday: Normal 10 mile loop of the park @ 8.08 the only real thing of note was seeing Sean at the upper end of the North Road; good to see him back out again.

Good things from this week: The first week of not feeling jaded and no pain from the foot; may just have been the after affects from the marathon. Also signed up for Bohermeen in March.

Bad things: Diet has still gone to pot!

We had a good chat after training yesterday about how everyone felt training and the marathon went. It was interesting to hear everyones take on things.

From my own point of view I found the last 5 or 6 weeks of training tough; looking back I got really fixated with running 6 days a week and hitting certain mileage; probably should have listened to the body a bit more. Also neglected the stretching and resistance band exercises somewhat. Still not sure I have the fuelling nailed either.

It is all a learning curve and something to improve for the next one; whenever that may be.

• Advertisement

Weekly Update 38 miles over 5 days.

Tuesday:Down to the club for the Tuesday session; on the road this week where we ran 6 x 800s off a 400m recovery. Still following orders and not hammering session although they are still feeling tough enough.

Splits 3:07;3:00;3:03;2:56;3:05;3:05.

Wednesday: Off work for the week so made the use of the Phoenix Park during the day and got out for just over 7 miles @ 8.10

Thursday out a bit later than Wednesday so it was head torch on a long Conygham Road and into the park at the NCR; up North Road making use of the additional lighting and then back to the club from the Odd Lamps Road. 5.6 miles @ 8.09.

Saturday: Session on the Munich Loop 1km laps alternating between 1km of 200 on 200 off and then a full km. 6 laps with a 300m recovery after each.

Sunday: Usual 10 mile loop of the park @ 7.57 per mile. Out to Tymon for the afternoon to watch the Dublin Inter XC; a good afternoon for DH with a team bronze for the ladies and individual and team gold for the lads.

This week will be quiet enough on the running front as I am in Krakow from Friday to Monday; meaning I will unfortunately miss my annual stewarding gig at Jingle Bells; so good luck to everyone is running it.

C

Advertisement