Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The (Not So) Flying Scotsman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I will bow to all your greater knowledge and try the Novablasts. How are Asics for sizing? Usually a fairly standard 9 1/2 in most runners.

I think they're pretty true to size, generous if anything

That being said if it's just an easy run shoe I still think think the Glideride is a better shoe...and there are some great deals on it as V2 is about to be released...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think they're pretty true to size, generous if anything

That's been my experience with asics too. I'm a 9 in Nike and always found Asics 9 maybe a half size too big. But I don't know about the novablast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yes the novablast are a generous fit too but as S said the gliderides are pretty good easy running shoes too... So many choices:)

• Advertisement

That's been my experience with asics too. I'm a 9 in Nike and always found Asics 9 maybe a half size too big. But I don't know about the novablast
    Yes the novablast are a generous fit too but as S said the gliderides are pretty good easy running shoes too... So many choices:)

I think the Glideride are a bit smaller. I got a 45 in both but wear a thin sock with the Glideride and a thicker sock with the Novablast. Recent experience tells me that the Glideride doesn't like recovery/Zone 1 runs but comes alive when you pick it up a bit. A firmer shoe than the somewhat squidgy Novablast.

I won't dare recommend a Nike shoe as an alternative. Haha

The Novablasts are en route.....thanks for the recommendation; had to get them on Alltricks in the end.

May even brave the Bostons for the Tuesday session later.

C

The Novablasts are en route.....thanks for the recommendation; had to get them on Alltricks in the end.

May even brave the Bostons for the Tuesday session later.

C

Hope you like them now :)

Back to back 49.5 mile weeks this only slightly hurting my OCD.

6 days running with 2 sessions; Tuesday evening in the lashing rain and Saturday morning in a crisp Phoeno.

Monday 7.2 @ 8.23 per mile. Loop from home down into Chapo followed the marathon course into Ballyfermot but headed out onto the N4 to Islandbridge and back home.

Tuesday session day a rare WFH day so met one of the lads for 10 x 600s around the acres pitches; decided to give the Bostons a blast much to the consternation of some on Strava it was a failry rank evening and the paths around the pitches were pretty flooded. All reps between 2.13 and 2.07 one learning was the bike markings on the acres are 100m apart.

Solid session but drenched and had to clean the Bostons; a lovely shoe to run in.

Wednesday 7.1 @ 8.20 nothing much to report.

Thursday a repeat of Monday with the exception the Chapo/Islandbridge loop was reversed pace was 8.18

Saturday: 6 x 1ks on the Mag Loop; spikes on as the going was sloppy enough underfoot. Reps 3.52/3.57 the rest were under 3.50. Spotted Saskian a good few times on his session; he was looking fresh after his 16 minute Friday run!!

Sunday 12.6 miles @ 7.54 mostly on the trails in the Phoeno.

A good solid week. Hopefully have the Novablasts early this week so they will get their debut this week.

Will continue with Tuesday and Saturday session as I am a total creature of habit.

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Tuesday session day a rare WFH day so met one of the lads for 10 x 600s around the acres pitches; decided to give the Bostons a blast much to the consternation of some on Strava it was a failry rank evening and the paths around the pitches were pretty flooded. All reps between 2.13 and 2.07 one learning was the bike markings on the acres are 100m apart.

Is this true?!

I can't believe I'm only just learning this now - are the bike markings the whole way round?

This is life-changing information!

Haha that was my main learning from last week! The whole 1.7 mile loop has bike markings every 100m; handy for a session indicator; shows you how much you are in the zone doing sessions there!

Tuesday was probably the first time I had done a session on the acres path that wasn't miles or one done by time.
    Sacksian wrote: »
    Is this true?!

I can't believe I'm only just learning this now - are the bike markings the whole way round?

This is life-changing information!

Just under 49 miles for the week; the lack of Saturday morning session was the cause.

Monday : An easy 7.5 miles in the Phoeno after work nothing much to report.

Tuesday: Session of 16 x 400s on the Chapo Road with a 200m recovery. Kept the reps between 85 and 89 seconds; just under 10.5 miles with the warm up and cool down.

Wednesday : Broke in the Novablasts on a fairly wet evening; they felt a bit strange at the start of the run but comfortable enough. 5.25 miles @ 7.57.

Thursday: 7.3 miles @ 7.15 a repeat of last weeks loop to Islandbridge and back; upped the pace a bit and Novablasts felt good.

Saturday: Got up early enough to head out for a session but the weather was brutal so ended up out in the afternoon. Ended up doing one of my go to loops from the house around the Acres pitches in the park and home.

Just under 7.2 miles at 7.18 pushed the last 3 miles a little so these were all under 7 minutes which is a decent effort from Chapo to Palmerstown.

Sunday: Was going solo so got out a little later than normal. Ran from the house and a loop of the park; interesting morning for it. 11 miles @ 7.44. Spotted Saskian heading down the North Road on his Sunday run while talking to another DH club mate.

Will next week finally be the first 50 mile week of 2021? 195 miles for January.

C

51 Miles for the week over 6 Days

Monday : 7 miles @ 8.40 nice and easy loop out to Woodies in Lucan and back not much to report.

Tuesday: Session on the Chapo Road; 6 x 1k with a 90 second recovery. A couple of miles to warm up then into the session; 1k down and 1k back. Splits 3.49/3.50/3.45/3.45/3.38 and 3.39.

Was surprised during the session to see the 1ks back towards the club were consistent with those heading towards town as they tend to be a little slower. A good solid effort off fairly short recoveries.

A couple of miles to cool down.

Wednesday: 7.2 miles @ 8.07 almost a repeat of Monday with Mrsscotindublin on the bike for company.

Thursday: 7.3 @ 7.38 Palmerstown/Islandbridge Loop. Upped the pace a little as the club had arranged a Nutrition talk with Sharon Madigan. Good solid sensible advice and well worth it; one point that really stuck and this is so obvious when I write this but need to be very careful with fuelling at the weekend; Saturday session and Sunday run are usually completed in the same 24 hours.

Saturday: Hadn't really any plans but was chatting to one of the girls in the club who had ran an interesting session during the week. So off I headed to Waterstown for some hills session was 20 minutes of 1 min uphill 1 min down followed by 5 minutes of 30s up hill 30s down. The aim of the session was to not let the heart rate come down to much on the recoveries. It was a tough one and I think I covered 3.86 miles in the 25 minutes.

Oh the evening was good with the Scotland result aswell ( although I don't get too excited about rugby it is always good to beat the Auld Enemy on their home turf)

Sunday: Just under 12.5 @ 7.42. A loop of a windy Phoeno.

A good solid week. Next week I am gonna get back into some S&C and thanks to V for the recommendation.

Cheers C

Anorher solid week; 55 miles over 6 days. My mileage this week was donated virtually for their run across Africa week.

Monday: 7.3 miles @ 8.23 Palmerstown/Islandbridge Loop. Nothing much to report apart from being told I was mental when I left the house!

Tuesday: Standard session on the Chapo Road of 16 x 400s with a 200 recovery; to be honest I wasn't feeling the love heading to do this. Reps were mostly mid 80s apart from a couple of looseners to start. A good one to get done. Just over 10 miles with warm up and cool down.

Wednesday: 7.16 @ 8.09 out to Woodies and back.

Thursday: A repeat of Monday 7.4 @ 8.12.

Saturday: Had planned to do a session but it was wild and I wasn't feeling the motivation so just decided to head for run instead. 10 miles in the end with a bit of progression form mile 4 to dip under 7 minutes for the last one.

Sunday: A touch over 13 miles at 7.51 per mile decent Sunday spin.

A good solid week where the motivation wasn't high but got it done.

C

55 miles in a week is pretty good when you are not feeling it as such, so well done on getting out. Some weeks are better than others motivation wise but once we keep consistent that's the main goal :)

Thanks E, like you say some weeks are just a little bit tougher than the others; always feel better after the run though and great to have the running as a constant (maybe not the right term but I hope you get what I mean) just now.

55 miles in a week is pretty good when you are not feeling it as such, so well done on getting out. Some weeks are better than others motivation wise but once we keep consistent that's the main goal :)

Totally get you, it's the one constant most of us have in all of this madness!

Totally get you, it's the one constant most of us have in all of this madness!

Guinness... I'm finding that my constant :D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Guinness... I'm finding that my constant :D

Whatever helps in this madness;)

• Advertisement

Bit late with the update owing to watching Celtic capitulate again at Ross County yesterday even; there are no words for public broadcast that could describe this season!

A touch under 50 miles for the week again.

Monday 7.3 miles @ 8.13 on what has become a staple loop of Islandbridge/Chapo Road and home.

Tuesday: Session day and one that had to be squeezed in before a 1800 meeting so actually got out in day light during the week. 6 x 1k off 90 seconds on the Chapo Road. Spilts of 3.43/49/37/43/39/41

Good solid effort and just over 9 miles for the run.

Wednesday: 6.6 miles @ 8.26 per mile. The loop in the other direction from the house out to Woodies in Lucan and home; sorta getting sick of these loops but know in a few weeks the Phoeno will be a midweek option with the stretch in the evenings.

Thursday: Late out of work so just done an easy 4 miles at 8.30.

Friday: Rest day

Saturday: Session day with a twist; the DH 10 minute challenge; to give folks an aim we proposed a club 10 minute challenge; easy concept run as far as you can in 10 minutes.

Headed to the Phoeno so just under 3 miles of a warm up. Decided to do the 10 minutes on the acres loop path. Reasonably flat for the park but always windy.

Ran anti-clockise and started heading on the Liffey side heading towards the Mag; into the wind for about the first 400m or so then wind at the back for the drag up to the Coal Road; finishing couple of minutes straight into the wind.

Managed to cover 2.86k according to the watch so a decent shift, a couple of loses of momentum on the turns but happy with the effort; thinking maybe 10.30 for 3k?

Sunday 12.25 @ 7.41 decided to break the normal and leave the park for a change on a Sunday. So into Lucan Village and then the long drag upto the Canal back down to Clondalkin and home; felt like spring.

Another good solid week; thinking this week I will take a step back and just do one session.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Bit late with the update owing to watching Celtic capitulate again at Ross County yesterday even; there are no words for public broadcast that could describe this season!

Another good solid week; thinking this week I will take a step back and just do one session.

C

Coming after the embarrassing Liverpool loss to the bitters... the fitba's been hard to watch this season to say the least!

Great work on the sessions.

Thanks J; think I will go back to supporting Morton at least there is no expectation levels then
    Coming after the embarrassing Liverpool loss to the bitters... the fitba's been hard to watch this season to say the least!

Great work on the sessions.

Weekly Update : 51 miles for the week over 6 days. Felt like a bit of a down week in terms of intensity so one very controlled session where it was no more than a stretch of the legs.

Monday: 7.3 miles @ 8.24 per mile a now standard PTown/Islandbridge Loop nice and relaxed.

Tuesday: Due to late meetings I am going to have to split my Tuesday in work to get out. Headed out just after 11 for a loop of the Acres Pitches and home 7.3 miles at 7.43 per mile. Think I got lucky with the weather as apart from the wind it wasn't too bad.

Wednesday: 8.3 @ 7.44 per mile out in the daylight to the Phoeno again. Getting out during the day Tuesday and Wednesday was certainly a nice break from the evening running.

Thursday: 5.2 @ 8.21 late enough getting out of work so that was enough for the evening.

Saturday: An absolutely stunning morning in the Phoeno and had said to a club mate that I would help to pace their session so 8 x 600 in 2.35. Nice and controlled and good to help out.

Sunday: 13.6 @ 7.38 another belter of a morning. A random route today down into the Phoeno/out at Islandbridge and onto the Canal in Inchicore to Clondalkin and home. A day when you could have stayed out as it was so nice.

Another positive from the week is that Lennon is finally gone 6 months to late and surrendering 10 in a row so meekly is something that is not going to sit well with me.

C

45 Miles for the week with a 5k TT thrown in.

Monday 7.13 @ 7.37 per mile; the stretch in the evenings allowed me to get back to a staple run from home for a loop of the acres pitches and home.

Tuesday: With the planned 5k TT coming up later in the week the session was ditched. Headed out mid afternoon so a socially distant birthday meet up with a clubmate who hit the big 50. 8 miles a 7.19 it was a quick run home to make late meetings. Looking back recently my pace seems to have creeped up on non session days so the plan is to rectify this.

Wednesday: 6.82 @ 8.47 loop out to Lucan and home; kept the pace well under control for this one.

Thursday: An early 5.2 @ 8.46 out early due to late meetings; running early in the morning is much easier after a drive into work before running; looking forward to this when the 5k restrictions are lifted.

Saturday: 5k TT session day. This had been on the cards for a while and probably should have been done before now; was pretty happy with the 10 minute challenge a couple of weeks ago in not ideal conditions. Plan was to run the Jingle Bells 5k loop in the park a race that we don't really get a chance to race due to stewarding duties.

Up in the Park early for a bit of a warm up and planned to get going before 0800.

Current PB for 5k is 17.50 from Enfield in 2019 so the plan was to run 3.35 per km until the Castlekkock roundabout on to the Ordanace Survey road and reassess. For those familiar with the route know this is the most awkward section. First 3km came in at 3.37/3.35/3.33 so pretty much bang on; felt it going up Chesterfield but seemed to settle down decided to just gun it from there to the finish which is pretty generous from the Furze Cross Roads. 3.24 and 3.20 for the last 2k and was working as hard as possible on the triangle finish.

A touch under 17.30 happy with that can't really be claimed as a PB but at least it is in there somewhere.

Hopefully racing will be back in December and the good folks of boards get to run Jingle Bells 2021 it is a cracker of a course in the right conditions.

Sunday: Body as expected fairly tired so stuck mostly to the trials for 10.8 miles @ 8.24.

Will take the start of the week easy and get back to sessions from Saturday.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

45 Miles for the week with a 5k TT thrown in.

Monday 7.13 @ 7.37 per mile; the stretch in the evenings allowed me to get back to a staple run from home for a loop of the acres pitches and home.

Tuesday: With the planned 5k TT coming up later in the week the session was ditched. Headed out mid afternoon so a socially distant birthday meet up with a clubmate who hit the big 50. 8 miles a 7.19 it was a quick run home to make late meetings. Looking back recently my pace seems to have creeped up on non session days so the plan is to rectify this.

Wednesday: 6.82 @ 8.47 loop out to Lucan and home; kept the pace well under control for this one.

Thursday: An early 5.2 @ 8.46 out early due to late meetings; running early in the morning is much easier after a drive into work before running; looking forward to this when the 5k restrictions are lifted.

Saturday: 5k TT session day. This had been on the cards for a while and probably should have been done before now; was pretty happy with the 10 minute challenge a couple of weeks ago in not ideal conditions. Plan was to run the Jingle Bells 5k loop in the park a race that we don't really get a chance to race due to stewarding duties.

Up in the Park early for a bit of a warm up and planned to get going before 0800.

Current PB for 5k is 17.50 from Enfield in 2019 so the plan was to run 3.35 per km until the Castlekkock roundabout on to the Ordanace Survey road and reassess. For those familiar with the route know this is the most awkward section. First 3km came in at 3.37/3.35/3.33 so pretty much bang on; felt it going up Chesterfield but seemed to settle down decided to just gun it from there to the finish which is pretty generous from the Furze Cross Roads. 3.24 and 3.20 for the last 2k and was working as hard as possible on the triangle finish.

A touch under 17.30 happy with that can't really be claimed as a PB but at least it is in there somewhere.

Hopefully racing will be back in December and the good folks of boards get to run Jingle Bells 2021 it is a cracker of a course in the right conditions.

Sunday: Body as expected fairly tired so stuck mostly to the trials for 10.8 miles @ 8.24.

Will take the start of the week easy and get back to sessions from Saturday.

C

Do you have any target (race distance or time) in mind for the year, Craig? If races are back on in Autumn?

The 10k PB needs to be sorted out! It is a bit of an outlier just now; sub 37 maybe. Will even consider Nat Masters on the track to get a race.
    Sacksian wrote: »
    Do you have any target (race distance or time) in mind for the year, Craig? If races are back on in Autumn?

53 miles for the week over 6 days.

Monday 7 Miles @ 9.02 per mile down to the park for a lap of the pitches and home. Took it very easy after the 5k TT.

Tuesday 8 Miles @ 8.37 out early before work. Down to the park again this time extended the run to head up Chesterfield/Furze and home.

Wednesday: A repeat Mondays run at 8.22 per mile.

Thursday: Repeat of Tuesday @ 8.17 per mile.

Saturday: Session day had decided on 3 x 2 mile with a 2 minute 30 second recovery on the Bloom Loop which is a touch over 2 miles. First 2 reps were triangle/North Road/Chesterfield the third I ran in reverse. It was a tough session in the wind. Reps were 12.33/12.29 and 12.26.

Sunday Just over 13 miles at 8.20; down the Canal from Clondalkin to the Park and home.

A decent weeks effort

Missed out on the update last week but it was another solid week running wise. This week was 53 miles over the 6 days.

Monday nice and easy 7 miles on my go to loop from the house around the Acres pitches and home. 8.52 nice and easy.

Tuesday: Late meetings are messing with my routine just now so was out early for 8 miles at 7.24 down into the park and ran a loop taking in Furze pushed the pace second half but it was just too early for a proper session.

Wednesday/Thursday: A repeat of the Monday run. The rest of Thursday was spent returfing the garden.....hmm body not able for manual labour.

For the Easter Weekend we had organised a DH 5K relay 4 teams of 8. I was the "ghost" runner in the event that any of the lads didn't run.

Wasn't really sure what the plan was for this but ended up just doing a solid effort on the acres at about 10k pace; wasn't really in the zone to hammer it. So 5k number 1 in 18.44. Just about to do my cool down when some of the others we starting so offered to pace one of the girls who wanted to run sub 20.30; finished in 20.16 so I will call that a job well done. A good solid morning in the end.

Sunday 13.2 @ 8.09 a bit of a Phoeno/Canal loop legs pretty heavy but got her done.

I think I need to set my self a goal for the next few weeks; hmm 5m or 10k?

C

• Advertisement

Boards 5k on April 24th - there's a thread.

Advertisement