Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The (Not So) Flying Scotsman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Weekly Update.

Monday an unplanned day off when a "good out early come home early" night on Sunday did not quite go to plan.

Tuesday: A handy enough session of 10 x 200s with a 200 recovery at about 75% efforts and a few laps of the polo grounds thrown in.

Wednesday: 6.4 miles at 7.50 per mile dodgy showers in the Phoenix Park also an annoying pain at the top of my thigh which also reared its head the week of the Nat Relays.

Thursday: 5.5 miles 8.12 per miles before work. Legs felt tired enough even with the easy week.

Saturday: 6.2 miles at 8.35 per mile headed down to the session and just ran easy laps of the polo grounds. No pain yo report in the thight; afternoon spent lugging boxes though.

Sunday: Terenure 5 mile and my first attack at a 5 mile race since Terenure 2 years ago. Quick chat from Skyblue and Aquinn of these parts at the school before the race.

A bit of a mishap in the warm up saw us make the start line with about 5 minutes to spare.....could feel the heat cranking up already. The aim was to get closer to 30 than 31 and if everything went really well break 30.

Mile Splits are off watch.

Pushed up as far as I could at the start line and we were off; things were pretty congested until we took the left down past Bushy Park. Down hill to the village and through mile 1 in 5.59.

Mile 2 is a decent drag from the village tried to just keep working here. Was happy to get to the water station as it was getting hot. Through mile 2 in 5.58.

Mile 3 was a case of digging in as I knew there was a bit of an incline before we hit the main road down past Bushy Park. Through mile 3 in 6.00.

Mile 4 back to pretty much the start area this should have been the part to push it a bit; not sure if I was too hesitant knowing what the last mile was going to bring but just couldn't seem pick it up (maybe I am just an even paced runner!) anyway through here in 5.58 on the watch.

Mile 5 got in with a nice group for the drag out the village and just tried to keep with them. Kept the pace as best I could; got onto the finishing road and knew there was a chance of 30 minutes ( trusted the watch too much maybe) tried to push but to be fair there wasn't too much there.....watch beeped on 5.54 but there was still a bit to go ( the finish line is pretty hidden on the run in; also pretty sure the finish line is further down than the start) crossed the line in 30.05. A lot of progression from Terenure 2 years ago (32.33). A bit disappointed at the end to not break 30 but it is in there.

Lap of Bushy Park to cool down followed by some goodies back at the school. Happy to see that I have made the top 10 in the M40 and had also somehow contributed to the Donore MS getting 3rd spot in the team event.

All in all another smashing event by Sportsworld and one that I will put on the calendar again for 2020.

Bit of a mixed bag of a week next week with a busy day next Saturday at a communion. Will have a look at Bob Heffernan on the 21st if the body is in decent shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Weekly Update.

Monday an unplanned day off when a "good out early come home early" night on Sunday did not quite go to plan.

Tuesday: A handy enough session of 10 x 200s with a 200 recovery at about 75% efforts and a few laps of the polo grounds thrown in.

Wednesday: 6.4 miles at 7.50 per mile dodgy showers in the Phoenix Park also an annoying pain at the top of my thigh which also reared its head the week of the Nat Relays.

Thursday: 5.5 miles 8.12 per miles before work. Legs felt tired enough even with the easy week.

Saturday: 6.2 miles at 8.35 per mile headed down to the session and just ran easy laps of the polo grounds. No pain yo report in the thight; afternoon spent lugging boxes though.

Sunday: Terenure 5 mile and my first attack at a 5 mile race since Terenure 2 years ago. Quick chat from Skyblue and Aquinn of these parts at the school before the race.

A bit of a mishap in the warm up saw us make the start line with about 5 minutes to spare.....could feel the heat cranking up already. The aim was to get closer to 30 than 31 and if everything went really well break 30.

Mile Splits are off watch.

Pushed up as far as I could at the start line and we were off; things were pretty congested until we took the left down past Bushy Park. Down hill to the village and through mile 1 in 5.59.

Mile 2 is a decent drag from the village tried to just keep working here. Was happy to get to the water station as it was getting hot. Through mile 2 in 5.58.

Mile 3 was a case of digging in as I knew there was a bit of an incline before we hit the main road down past Bushy Park. Through mile 3 in 6.00.

Mile 4 back to pretty much the start area this should have been the part to push it a bit; not sure if I was too hesitant knowing what the last mile was going to bring but just couldn't seem pick it up (maybe I am just an even paced runner!) anyway through here in 5.58 on the watch.

Mile 5 got in with a nice group for the drag out the village and just tried to keep with them. Kept the pace as best I could; got onto the finishing road and knew there was a chance of 30 minutes ( trusted the watch too much maybe) tried to push but to be fair there wasn't too much there.....watch beeped on 5.54 but there was still a bit to go ( the finish line is pretty hidden on the run in; also pretty sure the finish line is further down than the start) crossed the line in 30.05. A lot of progression from Terenure 2 years ago (32.33). A bit disappointed at the end to not break 30 but it is in there.

Lap of Bushy Park to cool down followed by some goodies back at the school. Happy to see that I have made the top 10 in the M40 and had also somehow contributed to the Donore MS getting 3rd spot in the team event.

All in all another smashing event by Sportsworld and one that I will put on the calendar again for 2020.

Bit of a mixed bag of a week next week with a busy day next Saturday at a communion. Will have a look at Bob Heffernan on the 21st if the body is in decent shape.

Well done! I think, based on your race report, maybe we met? If two Raheny women and a dog came over to chat to you and your clubmate after it, one of them was me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Phenoni Fenommeenal Phennominol Philarmonic Brilliant running C! Amazing time and sub 30 is looking good for next time.

Helen that was indeed me; I will need to introduce myself properly next time!

Well done on the race and team prize yesterday.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Well done! I think, based on your race report, maybe we met? If two Raheny women and a dog came over to chat to you and your clubmate after it, one of them was me!

Thanks A
    Phenoni Fenommeenal Phennominol Philarmonic Brilliant running C! Amazing time and sub 30 is looking good for next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Helen that was indeed me; I will need to introduce myself properly next time!

Well done on the race and team prize yesterday.

I didn't think of it until I saw you mention your club and your time in your race report. Well done on Donore's performance too!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great run C. you'll get the 30 next time!!

Cheers Daz.....some run from your new recruit in work!
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Great run C. you'll get the 30 next time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Cheers Daz.....some run from your new recruit in work!

So I heard yeah:eek:

Was holding off on the weekly update to take in the Enfield (Bob Heffernan) 5km

It was a fairly sedate week last week after Terenure with not a huge amount to report. 31 easy miles for the week and no sessions.

Monday: A bit of a lunchtime shakeout of 2.5 miles at a decent clip to get the legs moving.

Tuesday: Enfield 5k

Had heard great things about this one but between one thing and another had not had a chance to race it. Got down nice and early and our very own Skyblue was making his way into the car park; had a bit of a catch up with S and Lazare (looking very lean I must add!) In the hotel before heading out for a couple of miles with one of the lads from the club. Got a bit of a shock on how warm it was.

Back to the hotel and got some water into the system before making my way down to the start.

Bit of chaos at the start with the lead car pushing through everyone to get ahead of the start line. Was feeling uncomfortably warm before we started.

Got off handily enough having the dual carriage way certainly helped here as we spread out quickly enough. Quick check of the watch after about 500m showed I was on 3.35 pace and pretty much exactly where I wanted to be and felt comfortable enough. Through the first km in 3.34

Sharp left and we were onto a back country road; knew we were nice and straight to the bend at the 4km mark from here. Plenty of folks around to pace off so just kept the effort up. Through the second km in 3.30 couple of seconds quicker than planned but nothing stupid.

Knew that km 3 was going to be important as I felt in Duleek that I switched off around this section for a few seconds. Through km 3 in 3.37 and though 3km in approx 10.41 ish bang on track for a PB. Said to myself just get to the 4km mark without doing anything stupid. Head down and pushed through to 4km (3.37)

Through 4km and working hard but knew that a shot at sub 18 was on; spotted a DH singlet (always a good motivation) ahead and knew that if I kept pace a good finish was on the cards. The last km was a bit of a blur to be honest but felt that the pace was definitely not dropping; tried to crank up the pace as we got towards the end and gave it as much as I could towards the line to get as much under 18 as possible; have to say there was a little fist pump when I finally crossed it!

Chip time of 17.50 and a major goal ticked off for 2019.

Was pretty whacked for a good while after the finish but got some water into me and over the head. Caught up with Singer (PB and sub 18 definitely on for him); Skyblue ( PB and a confidence boosting run) and Lazare afterwards.

Delighted to say that Lazare broke the magic 20 minute mark; a great achievement and one that we all strive for when we start the running journey; plenty more to come from C over the summer.

Couple of mile cool down with S and C before the hunt for the egg sandwiches began!

A very enjoyable evening and a great race.....one that I will definitely be back to next year. Buzzing when I got home; those evenings make the hard work worthwhile.

A busy time in work and holidays planned for a couple of weeks so the next outing will most likely be the Dunshaughlin 10k. The sub 18 monkey is off the back now so time to chase down a 10k time.

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great report and fantastic race C. The pacing was spot on, very impressive. Good to catch up with you again. It's a great race isn't it. So much positivity in all the race reports today is a wonderful testament to the event.

Up there with the best of them great buzz about the place and plenty of Boardies......hopefully you have Conor hooked on the club races now!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great report and fantastic race C. The pacing was spot on, very impressive. Good to catch up with you again. It's a great race isn't it. So much positivity in all the race reports today is a wonderful testament to the event.

Up there with the best of them great buzz about the place and plenty of Boardies......hopefully you have Conor hooked on the club races now!

I'm afraid not. He's after a Parkrun PB (is that a thing?) in Corkagh on the first weekend in June and then the race series 10k.

It must be the lack of toliet facilities!

I'm afraid not. He's after a Parkrun PB (is that a thing?) in Corkagh on the first weekend in June and then the race series 10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Great running C!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great to have that one clear. Congrats on the PB, and not switching off in the 3rd km like in Duleek - staying in the game paid off.

Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fantastic report C, a dream race and a well deserved smashing pb.

Thanks for the kind comments in it. Was really great to run a bit with you.

Cheers C I hope you are still buzzing after it! Hopefully catch you at Dunshaughlin or Kilcock.
    Lazare wrote: »
    Fantastic report C, a dream race and a well deserved smashing pb.

Thanks for the kind comments in it. Was really great to run a bit with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Cheers C I hope you are still buzzing after it! Hopefully catch you at Dunshaughlin or Kilcock.

Oh the endorphins are still bouncing around :)

Kilcock for sure anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Superb, what a time. Well done.

Thanks Aoife. You should make it down next year; great race
    aquinn wrote: »
    Superb, what a time. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well done again mate. We all knew this was coming ;)

A pretty sedate end to the week after Enfield.

Wednesday 4 miles @ 8.10 per mile around the Swords/Malahide Estuary......legs stiff enough.

Thursday: Was pushed for time for just got out for a bit of a leg loosener at lunchtime.

Saturday: Session but took it handy enough decent efforts but more controlled than pushing hard 6 x (400/300/200 with 100 recoveries) approximately 3 minutes between sets. Afternoon spent watching the treble treble!

Sunday: Decent Sunday crew from the Club 10 miles @ 7.41 per mile...some WW spotting on the North Road doing his Sunday run.

A great week all in; got the entry in for Dunshaughlin so that will be the next aim; heading away for a week on June 6th and seriously considering taking the week off running; not sure where the next break will come from with DCM training looming on the horizon ( although it will probably be a 12 week plan for this).

C

A rough week in work cut down on the running a good bit this week so 36 miles for the week over 4 days. Did manage to get 2 quality sessions in though.

Monday 7 miles at 8.14 per mile. Headed down to the Phoenix Park from the house ran a lap of the acres football pitches then home.

Tuesday: Session 16 x 400s with 200m recoveries.

Built into the session with a couple of 86-88 seconds per 400 then held them steady between 81-84. Upped the ante for the last one in 78.

Wednesday and Thursday: A couple of 13 hour days in work meant running was not going to happen.

Friday: Out to see Deacon Blue and a couple of beers which were badly needed after the last few weeks in work.

Saturday: A bit of a killer session which was spilt into 2 distinct halfs

First half 10 x 200s off 200m recoveries. Splits were between 38-41 seconds. 5 minute active recovery.

Second half 5k of 100m on 100m off splits were between 17-20 seconds.

A tough session of both speed and endurance and one which I think we will be revisiting in a few weeks.

Sunday 10 miles @ 7.49 per mile. Pretty much standard loop of the park legs pretty wrecked after yesterday. Notable dignitaries spotted in the park this morning were (a very happy) Wubble Wubble ( shocking game but all about the W!) heading up the North Road and Skyblue ( any surprise we were both wearing red after the win last night!!) who were out on their Sunday long runs.

Plans this week is to get out Monday/Wednesday for easy miles and also the session on Tuesday (which I think is going to be 8 x 1ks off 60 second recoveries) before heading to Lanzarote Thursday morning.

C

Skyblue ( any surprise we were both wearing red after the win last night!!)

C

Red shirt with black shorts C.....homage to the biggest club in the world who are in a bit of a lull at the moment. Thankfully it's not 28 years without a league! :D

I think the Liverpool fans would have been happy to swap the CL for the PL title this season!

Red shirt with black shorts C.....homage to the biggest club in the world who are in a bit of a lull at the moment. Thankfully it's not 28 years without a league! :D

I think the Liverpool fans would have been happy to swap the CL for the PL title this season!

Of course they would...it's like an itch they can't scratch! :pac:

A massive 7.5 miles for the week.....currently adopting a "if I wake up early" I will get a run in whilst on holiday.

Normal service will resume next weekend anyway......a break from running may not be the worst thing.

• Advertisement

A massive 7.5 miles for the week.....currently adopting a "if I wake up early" I will get a run in whilst on holiday.

Normal service will resume next weekend anyway......a break from running may not be the worst thing.

Advertisement