Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with cacti/succulents during winter?

Options
  • 04-11-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have our cacti and succulents including a few cacti seedlings and a few Christmas Cactus rooting cuttings in the front porch and it's starting to get quite cold in there now. Just wondering where it would be best to put these over the winter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Put them in a window indoors in a heated Room. Mine do very well like that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Some of them will do grand in the front porch once they don't get frost or they're dry enough that they don't get mould. A lot of cacti come from places that are dry but cold, so they won't do too badly. Many do grand outdoors once there's not a protracted cold snap. That said, it depends on the cactus/succulent in question as to how cold hardy it is. I've had succulents in garden quarantine over winter (some for a number of years) and they just grew a bit slower, still flowered etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Christmas cactus prefer a cool light location like a north facing window but if they are in bud, leave them where they are, moving them now will result in bud drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Last winter I had a cactus that I kind of wanted to get rid of and I left it outside (in a fairly sheltered position).

It survived the winter and this summer it flowered for the first time ever.

Advertisement