Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help installing Kali

Options
  • 04-11-2016 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I downloaded kali virtual image for vmware https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux-vmware-virtualbox-image-download/ but I cannot getthe VmWare tools to install . As far as I can tell says they are installed but I cannot copy from the host to the guest

Host win 7 64 bit.Vmware workstation 10. How can i find if they are installed for sure. The screenshot is what i get when i try to install them

I also tried a 64 bit iso but did not install the grub loader as i got a warning thee was not a boot loader detected but if there was one i would make the computer unbootable. I wan not sure if that referred to the host or the virtual so said no. Which does it refer to and how do i install the grub boot loader in the virtual one now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

10 is fairly old at this point you might want to consider upgrading.

Follow something like the below and then report back at a step you have trouble with.

http://www.sysadminshowto.com/how-to-install-official-vmware-tools-in-kali-linux-2-sana/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

limnam wrote: »
    10 is fairly old at this point you might want to consider upgrading.

Follow something like the below and then report back at a step you have trouble with.

http://www.sysadminshowto.com/how-to-install-official-vmware-tools-in-kali-linux-2-sana/
    Thanks. I managed to install it. I got a trial of 12 but when i try to install it says it will upgrade. Does that mean it will wipe the current virtual machines. I tried to install it in sandboxie but it still said upgrade. It is reading the real system? But it should not write to the real system in sandboxie. I would prefer to install it with 10 and if it is Ok copy over the vm's. Is this possible?

Thanks. I managed to install it. I got a trial of 12 but when i try to install it says it will upgrade. Does that mean it will wipe the current virtual machines. I tried to install it in sandboxie but it still said upgrade. It is reading the real system? But it should not write to the real system in sandboxie. I would prefer to install it with 10 and if it is Ok copy over the vm's. Is this possible?

Shouldn't wipe the current vm's if you're worried about it just back them up.
    If everything is working on 10 stick with it, I just pointed it out as you were having trouble and 10 is a bit old.

How do i make it so the vms can connect to each other but not to the host. Change the network adapter under hardware? To what? It is now NAT but the vms cannot go on the internet as I changed their IP and that is fine

At the moment the vms use intel 82574l gigabit network adapter. This is from the vms, not the host
    Shouldn't wipe the current vm's if you're worried about it just back them up
    But 12 would overwrite 10 as in upgrade not a separate install? Can't have C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation [10] and C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation[12] ?

How do i make it so the vms can connect to each other but not to the host. Change the network adapter under hardware? To what? It is now NAT but the vms cannot go on the internet as I changed their IP and that is fine

At the moment the vms use intel 82574l gigabit network adapter. This is from the vms, not the host

But 12 would overwrite 10 as in upgrade not a separate install? Can't have C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation [10] and C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation[12] ?

This is probably not the right venue for detailed discussions on vmware.

Saying that, if you put them on "host" network they should be able to only talk to each other on that network.

There's good documentation on the vmware site for this sort of stuff

It should upgrade 10 to 12 it shouldn't remove the vm's but as mentioned if it states somewhere that it does. back them up. install 12. import vm's

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    This is probably not the right venue for detailed discussions on vmware.

Saying that, if you put them on "host" network they should be able to only talk to each other on that network.

There's good documentation on the vmware site for this sort of stuff

It should upgrade 10 to 12 it shouldn't remove the vm's but as mentioned if it states somewhere that it does. back them up. install 12. import vm's
    It says host only is a private network is shared with the host. I think it is custom - specific virtual network. Thanks for the help

Advertisement