Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgent help

• 05-11-2016 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

Just bought a 2nd hand mac. When I go to abiut this mac and system report and storage it's showing 512gb storage.

Now when I try and go to disk utility and format the computer for a fresh install disk utility is showing up as 128gb drive......

Any ideas here??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just bought a 2nd hand mac. When I go to abiut this mac and system report and storage it's showing 512gb storage.

Now when I try and go to disk utility and format the computer for a fresh install disk utility is showing up as 128gb drive......

Any ideas here??

See in Disk Utility if it has been partitioned into more than one partition, if it has just set it back up again as one partition of 512Gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

whiterebel wrote: »
    See in Disk Utility if it has been partitioned into more than one partition, if it has just set it back up again as one partition of 512Gb

Thank you. I went into partition and it's showing 128gb. I'm mystified

Hi thank you.

Really appreciate any help. I'm just afraid now to format in case the 512 goes somewhere:(

Screen below

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Where did you buy it? What model Mac and specs did the seller claim it was? Don't trust what the About this Mac screen is telling you. Click into System Report and check the reported hard drive, RAM, processor specs there.

I'm not sure, you'll need to check these things to confirm... but I think you might have been scammed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

SM0128G indicates a 128gb drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

iCloud Drive storage turned on? I've heard stories of macOS reporting iCloud space as free space on a hard drive even though the machine has a smaller drive.

(I haven't moved to macOS yet so not sure if this is 100% the case)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It's very easy to change what is shown in About This Mac. Ask anyone who has built a Hackintosh and they will show what's possible.

Ken

Thanks guys, al sorted formatted and it found the disk. Cheers

Advertisement