Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.K. Resident wants get insurance on a Irish car

Options
  • 05-11-2016 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Can any one help

Mum has a house in Ireland but her main resident is in the uk. She wants to have a car in Ireland so she can fly over and back. The problem is how to get insurance on an Irish registered car (if she buys one) as she is not resident in Ireland. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If her uk insurer trades in Ireland then she has half a chance...
    As long as ur mum isn't thinking off adding 'extra driver' in Ireland thus 'fronting'

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deedee 21

Thank you clpwhisper. I will have to out her insurance company in the uk. I had thought I might drive it is she wasn't here for a good few weeks, just so not sitting there. But if that was going to cause problems I wouldn't. I have my own car and insurance here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Renting a car might be a lot cheaper in the end.
    She also won't have to worry about tax and nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

AFIK UK motorists are covered to drive here on holidays,as we are in the UK, so if she bought a northern Ireland car,or drove via ferry a uk car would that make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deedee 21

I think there is an issue over her age. She is 74, tried to get s quote from a car hire company in the town where is has the house and told they won't hire a car to any one over 70.
    We are trying to cut the the long drive that she would have to get to Holyhead. The car can also be around €300 any you can get grate deals flying at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Mum has a house in Ireland
    She therefore has an Irish address?
    how to get insurance on an Irish registered car
    Ring an Irish insurance company and give the car details, your mums details and explain that she will be an occasional user with low mileage (?)

They will either quote you or not.
    I had thought I might drive it is she wasn't here
    and
    As long as ur mum isn't thinking off adding 'extra driver' in Ireland thus 'fronting'

Advertisement