Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Men's Day, November 19

• 05-11-2016 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭

I thought I would start a thread on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭iptba

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1217457821626959&id=873341316038613
    Suffragents

INTERNATIONAL MEN'S DAY NOVEMBER 19th

[UK] Prime Minister says.........'YES'

During Parliamentary questions today on whether the Government was going to mark International Men’s Day on 19 November, it was revealed that the Prime Minster, Rt Hon Theresa May MP, supports the important issues the Day seeks to address and highlight:

“I recognise the important issues that this event seeks to highlight, including men’s health, male suicide rates and the underperformance of boys in schools, these are serious issues that must be addressed in a considered way.”

This was further supported by Government Ministers with Caroline Dinenage MP, Parliamentary under Secretary of State for Women, Equalities and Early Years, who stated:

“…as parents of sons up and down the country we will all be conscious about the issues he has mentioned and the Prime Minister has mentioned.”

“International Men’s Day in the UK does take a very gender-inclusive approach and therefore believes that issues affecting women and girls are also to be resolved”

“I am aware that there are 60 countries around the world that celebrate International Men’s Day and there are various different ways that they do that, focusing on men’s health and wellbeing, highlighting discrimination against men and any inequalities they face, improving gender relations and gender equality. This creates a safer world for everybody, Mr Speaker, and is always to be commended.”

This was the first endorsement by a Prime Minister and Government in the UK.

The International Men’s Day team in the UK, said: “This welcome Prime Ministerial and Government endorsement clearly proves there is now growing acceptance and recognition of issues of inequality that affect men and boys, and, a need to take these seriously. This is a landmark moment. It gives a clear signal to both politicians and the public sector of the need to step up to the plate and ensure that practical policies and action is taken to address them.

“This endorsement will provide comfort and extra impetus to charities, professional and organisations already working hard to support these issues and often struggle to have them recognised.

“There are at least 25 events already marking the Day right across the UK, and there is still plenty of time to join these events or set up your own. These range from health days, education events and conferences. The full list can be found at www.ukmensday.org.uk/events”

The UK theme for the Day continues to be Making a Difference for Men and Boys.

The theme is designed to help more people consider what action we can all take to Make a Difference by addressing some of the issues that affect Men and Boys such as:

• The high male suicide rate

• The challenges faced by boys and men at all stages of education including attainment

• Men’s health, shorter life expectancy and workplace deaths

• The challenges faced by the most marginalised men and boys in society (for instance, homeless men, boys in care and the high rate of male deaths in custody)

• Male victims of violence, including sexual violence

• The challenges faced by men as parents, particularly new fathers and separated fathers

• Male victims and survivors of sexual abuse, rape, sexual exploitation, domestic abuse, forced marriage, honour-based crime, stalking and slavery

• The negative portrayal of men, boys and fathers

The key issue of focus at a national level for 2016 is “supporting boys with their academic, employment, personal, social and health education“. There will also be a continuation of the attention on male suicide. International Men’s day also coincides with International Survivors of Suicide Loss Day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Who decides these "X days"? I mean international refugee day was decalred by the UN, US independents day was declared by the founding fathers, christmas day was declared by the catholic church. If you believe in those institutions or are at least swayed by them, you will accept their special days.

But you cant have just anyone saying today is X day all higgldey piggeldey. I mean, can I declare today to be johnnyskeleton day and everyone has to pay attention to me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I mean, can I declare today to be johnnyskeleton day and everyone has to pay attention to me?

Well that is a 2 part question with 2 answers
    can I declare today to be johnnyskeleton day? - Yes
    and everyone has to pay attention to me? - Afraid not but I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Is johnnyskeleton day going to be on a fixed date or will it one of those movable feasts such as being the last Sunday in November types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Johnny. once you're buying the drinks I'm in. My cat has agreed to return from the dead if you can supply baby sparrows.

• Advertisement

Some things that have happened in Ireland in previous years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men%27s_Day#Ireland
    Ireland

To Celebrate International Men's Day on Thursday 19 November 2009, Irish broadcaster Newstalk devoted a day-long show to men. The show was hosted by Tom Dunne and was Ireland's first ever observation of the event. Topics included discussion of how 'Men Sheds' contribute to improving men's health, and of their popularity in Ireland.[82] In 2011 Men in Childcare Network Ireland and Men in Childcare Europe, a European network made up of Men in Childcare networks from individual EU member countries, hosted a European conference on "Reimagining Childhood Care & Education" A celebration of Universal Children's Day, and International Men's Day. The event called 'Reimagining Childhood Care and Education' took place in Ireland on Saturday 19 November 2011 at the City West Hotel, Dublin.[10] Also in 2011 the Raphoe Family Resource Centre hosted an event with different groups in order to focus on the value of, and highlighting the positive contribution that men make. Children were invited to offer poems or stories about their fathers, grandfathers, uncles or big brothers which were put on display all week to show the men in families know how important they are to others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Who decides these "X days"? I mean international refugee day was decalred by the UN, US independents day was declared by the founding fathers, christmas day was declared by the catholic church. If you believe in those institutions or are at least swayed by them, you will accept their special days.

But you cant have just anyone saying today is X day all higgldey piggeldey. I mean, can I declare today to be johnnyskeleton day and everyone has to pay attention to me?
    Hmm, depends....do we get the day off for johnnyskeleton day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

mzungu wrote: »
    Hmm, depends....do we get the day off for johnnyskeleton day?

Man up, get a cert. While we're at it, call it JohnnySkeleton week. If we're real cute, we might get a government grant. And a wee parade. Voodoo sh1t with topless birds in.

http://www.internationalmensday.com/

[There are a lot of embedded links in their original]
    Our Theme for 2016

Stop Male Suicide

We welcome you to the International Men's Day global website.

Objectives of International Men's Day include a focus on men's and boy's health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models. It is an occasion for men to celebrate their achievements and contributions, in particular their contributions to community, family, marriage, and child care while highlighting the discrimination against them.

The theme for 2016 is Stop Male Suicide. In every country bar China where it is approximately equal the suicide rate is worse for men than women and averaged out on a country by country basis the rate of suicide for men is up to three times that of women. In Russia it is 6 men for every 1 women. Men’s health is worse than women’s in every part of the world. Recent World Health Organization (WHO) data shows that, globally, male life expectancy at birth in 2015 was 69 years; for females, it was 74 years. Children suffer when they lose a father or a grandfather prematurely. So let’s work together to turn the tide of male ill-health & suicide.

The deplorable state of men’s health internationally is obviously a contributing factor to the epidemic of Male Suicide across the world. This year Glen Poole the IMD coordinator for the UK has written a book called “Stop Male Suicide.” His solution can be summed up in the words LEARN +LOVE+LISTEN. Let’s use that as the motto for this year’s International Mens Day and lets all help stop male suicide. If we each applied this saying every day the world would become a better place.

The November IMD is a significant date as it interfaces the popular 'Movember' charity event and also with Universal Children's Day on Nov 20 with which IMD forms a 48 hour celebration of men and children respectively, and of the special relationships they share.

The ability to sacrifice your needs on behalf of others is fundamental to manhood, as is honour.

Manhood rites of passage the world over recognise the importance of sacrifice in the development of Manhood.

Men make sacrifices everyday in their place of work, in their role as husbands and fathers, for their families, for their friends, for their communities and for their nation. International Men's Day is an opportunity for people everywhere of goodwill to appreciate and celebrate the men in their lives and the contribution they make to society for the greater good of all.

Methods of commemorating International Men's Day have included public seminars, conferences, festivals and fundraisers, classroom activities at schools, radio and television programs, Church observances, and peaceful displays and marches. The manner of observing this annual day is optional; any organizations are welcome to host their own events and any appropriate forums can be used.

International Men's Day is celebrated in over 60 countries of the world. Too many to list. Join us on November 19 in celebrating the contribution men and boys make to those around them, to their family and friends, their work place and the community, the nations and the world.

Dads4Kids is honoured to host the Men's Day website and we invite you to join the global celebrations. Anyone is welcome to quote material from this website (attribution to this website is required), as well as free and open use of our logo and access to new posters in the Resource Section.

Please also feel free to download and use our logos.

If one is on Twitter, here's a Twibbon that could be added:
    http://twibbon.com/support/international-men39s-day

International Men's Day Campaign Description
    Objectives of International Men's Day include a focus on men's and boy's health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models.

• Advertisement

Men’s Voices Ireland Inaugural Conference
    November 19 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
    Free
    http://mensvoices2016.com/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Shame it was not more publicized. The first and only time I heard about this, was in the morning news from my radio alarm clock - and the newsreader (girl) even put on a slightly mocking tone when announcing that "today is International Men's day".

In all fairness, It also looks like most people here ignore the existence of the 8th of March as Intl' Women's Day...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Surprised nobody mentioned this on IMD - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/emotional-violence-including-sexist-jokes-must-be-fought-1.2875095

D'ya think we'll see a campaign to end DV against men launched on the next international women's day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Surprised nobody mentioned this on IMD - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/emotional-violence-including-sexist-jokes-must-be-fought-1.2875095

D'ya think we'll see a campaign to end DV against men launched on the next international women's day?

Inappropriate of the feminist times to attack men on international mens day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The article describes the White Ribbon Campaign as a male led initiative. However, on their website they are:
    White Ribbon began nationally in Ireland with its launch by The Other Half on November Xth 2010 in Dublin

The Other Half is an alliance of three national men’s and women’s organisations, SAFE Ireland, the Rape Crisis Network Ireland and the Men’s Development Network. www.theotherhalf.ie

Rape Crisis Network are not a mens or women's organisation. They are a specific network for the victims of crime. They are not a women's only network but they are not a male led organisation either.

The Men's Development Network website has only one staff member named on their website, Ms. Anita Furlong. No mention of the board etc. No annual report published so there's no further information.

SAFE Ireland are the people behind the Man Up Campaign. I can't find any information about them but their slogan is Creating Safety for Women and Children.

All this is by the by as the fact of their gender doesn't change the message they are putting out. But it's disingenuous to call them male led organisations. They are set up and run by women's charities. They presumably pay male spokesmen to put out the message or at the very least pressure them into signing up e.g. the Rugby squad.

All these organisations receive State funding but there is very little information about how they operate in the public domain.

That article appears to suggest that a bunch of men got together and decided to do something about mens violence against women. In reality, a bunch of women got together and decided to get men to do something about it.

Again, to stress, not that there is anything wrong with the message per se, just that it is wrong to suggest that it is a male led message. One could reasonably surmise that an actual male led anti-domestic violence charity would either focus on men as victims or would at least give equal treatment to men as victims and/or women as perpetrators.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

One could reasonably surmise that an actual male led anti-domestic violence charity would either focus on men as victims or would at least give equal treatment to men as victims and/or women as perpetrators.

I think that is a big assumption. Men don't necessary have anymore interest in domestic viloence against other men than your average femenist. Anecdotally I have seen the whole idea ridiculed and the victims described in unflattering terms.
    Politicians, for example, while be dominated by men are generally not too friendly to mens rights, preferring to pander to the femenist looney fringe.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think that is a big assumption. Men don't necessary have anymore interest in domestic viloence against other men than your average femenist. Anecdotally I have seen the whole idea ridiculed and the victims described in unflattering terms.
    Politicians, for example, while be dominated by men are generally not too friendly to mens rights, preferring to pander to the femenist looney fringe.

I suppose that describes why there arent such male led charities rather than what they would do if they existed! But I take your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭maregal

• not allowed to be proud of white while everyone else is allowed to be proud of their heritage
    • not allowed to celebrate their masculinity but females allowed to celebrate their femininity and masculine traits
    • sex is seen as bad and oppressive for males
    • boomers have made being slaves to banks for the rest of our lives the only path to living in society
    • constantly bombarded with media saying that being straight, white, male is a bad thing
    • culture and politicians brushing off our criticisms of how we are being treated by us being racist or sexist
    • not able to get jobs anymore because of anti discrimination laws in the west if a non white or female wants your job
    • not able to support a family unless you take out loans, get on welfare, or have your wife work
    • good chance that your marriage will end in divorce, destroying your life, reputation, financial well-being, and access to your children because of courts being biased against men

I would never encourage suicide but I can understand why some young fellas today see it as a way out. Who wants to deal with the crap above?

maregal wrote: »
    • not allowed to be proud of white while everyone else is allowed to be proud of their heritage
    • not allowed to celebrate their masculinity but females allowed to celebrate their femininity and masculine traits
    • boomers have made being slaves to banks for the rest of our lives the only path to living in society
    • constantly bombarded with media saying that being straight, white, male is a bad thing
    • culture and politicians brushing off our criticisms of how we are being treated by us being racist or sexist
    • not able to get jobs anymore because of anti discrimination laws in the west if a non white or female wants your job
    • not able to support a family unless you take out loans, get on welfare, or have your wife work
    • good chance that your marriage will end in divorce, destroying your life, reputation, financial well-being, and access to your children because of courts being biased against men

I would never encourage suicide but I can understand why some young fellas today see it as a way out. Who wants to deal with the crap above?

most of that is pretty irrelevant in an Irish context I would think? I am assuming it was copied from an American site but there was no reference.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    most of that is pretty irrelevant in an Irish context I would think? I am assuming it was copied from an American site but there was no reference.

I wrote it myself. Not sure why you're claiming it's irrelevant when it's true. As a moderator, could you please advise on the following: Am I allowed to create a white pride thread to celebrate my heritage? Or is only black pride and gay pride allowed?

• Advertisement

The divorce rate in Ireland is very low, not sure who the boomers are.

'Having your wife work' is a bit of an odd statement.

I'll repeat the question:Am I allowed to create a white pride thread to celebrate my heritage? Or is only black pride and gay pride allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I showed this to the three white males in my house. They laughed.

I'll repeat the question:Am I allowed to create a white pride thread to celebrate my heritage? Or is only black pride and gay pride allowed?

Ask the mods of the relevant forum. tGC wouldn't be the place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Christ almighty, what a statement…

Like Pawwed Rig, almost none of that has relevance in Ireland today.

I'm proud of my heritage and enjoy the history of this island. I'm sure there's plenty of forums and threads discussing and celebrating Irish history on here. Don't know why you'd need a specific 'whites only' thread when historically we were one of the most homogenous nations out there…

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Its funny, as a straight white male I don't find any of these issues affecting my life.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Your heritage isn't white it's Irish or whatever. The whole black heritage thing is because African Americans can't trace their ancestry any further back than a white slave owner 200 years ago. I'm sure if they were able, they'd be celebrating the culture of whatever African country their ancestors came from.

Advertisement