Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find market size?

Options
  • 05-11-2016 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, just wondering if there's anyway of finding the population of an areas radius?
    I want to find the population of a 20 mile radius of my location,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Small area or Electoral district statistics from the census will get you what you're looking for. Unless you're good with GIS there'll be an afternoons work of clicking and adding involved but it's pretty straightforward.

Google or the cso website should get you to the maps and lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

A better and more targeted way is to use Facebook if you have a commercial page.

Considering about 80% of people age over 16 and under 60 have a Facebook page, then by selecting a specific point and "advertising" to 17-40km of that point you will be given the potential audience.

With Facebook you can choose your own parameters, so if you wanted to know how many females age 21-60 are within 25km of Kilkenny, it will tell you the number of Facebook members in that area.

Cross that with information on percentage of Facebook users in the general area and you can calculate a reasonably accurate figure of a specific target group.

It will be more accurate with females 15-45 as these are the highest users of Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Walter2016 wrote: »
    A better and more targeted way is to use Facebook if you have a commercial page.

Considering about 80% of people age over 16 and under 60 have a Facebook page, then by selecting a specific point and "advertising" to 17-40km of that point you will be given the potential audience.

With Facebook you can choose your own parameters, so if you wanted to know how many females age 21-60 are within 25km of Kilkenny, it will tell you the number of Facebook members in that area.

Cross that with information on percentage of Facebook users in the general area and you can calculate a reasonably accurate figure of a specific target group.

It will be more accurate with females 15-45 as these are the highest users of Facebook.

The census data has a breakdown of population by age and gender too. There's a lot of detail there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Do you have a source for these statistics and are you basing those on Ireland or globally?

Axwell wrote: »
    Do you have a source for these statistics and are you basing those on Ireland or globally?

Irish figures and readily available online. Don't remember the sites I read, but they were mostly digital advertising companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think you need to read my post again - particularly the parameters stated of 16-60.

Facebook is less prevalent in over sixties and drops considerably as the age profile increases. The RTE report is all adults.

Both statements are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I think you need to read my post again - particularly the parameters stated of 16-60.

Facebook is less prevalent in over sixties and drops considerably as the age profile increases. The RTE report is all adults.

Both statements are correct.

A demographic of 16-60 is a useless bit of information because from a marketing perspective it is more or less usless, regardless of whether or not it is Ireland or global. And a Facebook penetration rate of "80% of people age over 16 and under 60 " is not correct either.
    Still waiting for a source, not an opinion.

A demographic of 16-60 is a useless bit of information because from a marketing perspective it is more or less usless, regardless of whether or not it is Ireland or global. And a Facebook penetration rate of "80% of people age over 16 and under 60 " is not correct either.
    Still waiting for a source, not an opinion.

As you seem to be utterly unable to do google search - which is very surprising becasue you seem to think you know absolutely everything.

I and probably others are so grateful that such a brilliant person has so much time to make constant sniping underhand agressive and negative comments on everyone's ideas on this forum. So much so, that hardly anyone posts anymore.

btw - here's your link.
    http://www.voltedge.ie/human-resources-news/eight-out-of-10-online-adults-in-ireland-use-social-networks-survey-findings/

Also my comments were directly in relation to the OP not to some know it all negative ninny.

As you seem to be utterly unable to do google search - which is very surprising becasue you seem to think you know absolutely everything.

I and probably others are so grateful that such a brilliant person has so much time to make constant sniping underhand agressive and negative comments on everyone's ideas on this forum. So much so, that hardly anyone posts anymore.

btw - here's your link.
    http://www.voltedge.ie/human-resources-news/eight-out-of-10-online-adults-in-ireland-use-social-networks-survey-findings/

Also my comments were directly in relation to the OP not to some know it all negative ninny.

All that personal invective, back seat modding and only one random source that does not relate to the question the OP asked?

The OP is looking for population by area figures, not your ‘take’ or propositions on Facebook.

As pointed out by others, for population data the go-to place is the CSO, where figures like THIS are available. (insert ' townland ' in th esearch box , then click on your county and selecvt the appropriate adjoining townlands.)

FWIW, I reiterate that your response “….. about 80% of people age over 16 and under 60 have a Facebook page…..” is meaningless because Facebook usage changes dramatically by age cohort. That 80% figure is totally skewed by the ‘super users’, the 18-24 yr. olds. Also, while the Amárach survey claimed 59% of Irish people have a Facebook account, it does not state how many are duplicate accounts or how often the accounts are accessed. For example, less than half of those aged 50+ are internet users on a daily basis. Usage report here .

Another statistic - Ireland has about 6.5 million mobile phones, rather useless base information because the population is only about 5 million.

You should concentrate on the question asked and interpreting figures, not on personal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

btw - here's your link.

I asked you for a source mainly because I didnt believe your figures to be correct but secondly its helpful for the OP to be able to review the information themselves.

You have come back sniping at another poster because the usefulness and correctness of your information was called into question. The reality is the figures/stats you posted do not appear anywhere in that link and the data is old and from 2014.

The article itself simply says 78% of adults use Facebook. You have added your own take on it from, adding your own parameters with nothing to back it up. That is of no use to anyone whether its right or not unless you can show someone a source that they can use as a reference, otherwise its just plucked from the air.

The CSO website was suggested previously and the data you linked to even comes from that very same website. For what the OP is looking for he has been given the best place to get that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

From the fist post, the OP seems to suggest that the population of a 20km radius in some way yields a market size. It is of course possible, if we know the purpose but would not be much use in planning a Tesla charging station or a Rolls Royce dealership unless it was in a very major urban city. The point I am trying to make, if rather obtusely, is that there can be a huge disconnect between poulation and market size... lots and lots of other possibly more important factors, education, incomes etc etc

mrawkward wrote: »
    .....The point I am trying to make, if rather obtusely, is that there can be a huge disconnect between poulation and market size...
    Very valid point. The classic examples of that were the initial prospectuses for the Chunnel and for EuroDisney. Case studies in how (not) to correlate population and market size!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Not sure if it's just based on census data, but you can use An Post's direct marketing tools to get an estimate of households in an area. Might give you a ballpark figure

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I used the an post site and found it great thanks for all the advice, on another point I'm surprised at how expensive the ad mailer is.

Advertisement