Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Letterkenny.....maybe

Options
  • 05-11-2016 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,
    I am looking for advice about moving to Letterkenny. I am from the UK (Scots) but live in Mongolia (true). Me, the wive and three kids are arriving on the 18th of December. We had been looking at various other towns - Waterford, Ennis and Wexford but Letterkenny looks good also. What is it like to live in? We will be moving with our three kids (3,5,12 years old). I don't have a job to go to, have been teaching English abroad for 10 years and was a ranger/community forester back in the UK. I am looking for healthcare work (and want to get the nec. qualifications). Please, what is like to live there? Good for family's, outdoor types. I am also a musician...any band scene happening? Cheers. Dave Russell in Mongolia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Outdoor in donegal is prob the best in Ireland tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

drussell wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am looking for advice about moving to Letterkenny. I am from the UK (Scots) but live in Mongolia (true). Me, the wive and three kids are arriving on the 18th of December. We had been looking at various other towns - Waterford, Ennis and Wexford but Letterkenny looks good also. What is it like to live in? We will be moving with our three kids (3,5,12 years old). I don't have a job to go to, have been teaching English abroad for 10 years and was a ranger/community forester back in the UK. I am looking for healthcare work (and want to get the nec. qualifications). Please, what is like to live there? Good for family's, outdoor types. I am also a musician...any band scene happening? Cheers. Dave Russell in Mongolia

one thing that might attract you ( or put you off) to Letterkenny is there a load of Scots here due the the Donegal- Scotland connections, mostly weegies like myself.. and a LOT from Clydebank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

Considering what you wrote, maybe Ennis would be a better bet. University of Limerick, University College Galway, Limerick Institute of Technology and Galway/Mayo Institute of Technology are all within roughly an hour, plus the associated large University Hospitals.

The Burren is on your doorstep and you're within reach (just) of both Connemara and Killarney National parks.

You have the above 2 named major cities also and an international airport beside you. Plus it's easier to get to most of the country than from Letterkenny.

Those are the practical facts. However I never liked Ennis. Limerick is not stab city any more, nor hasn't been for over 20 years.

Donegal is far more rural, has Letterkenny Institute of Technology, Magee University in Derry with large hospitals in both (although Letterkenny Hospital is far smaller than Galway or Limerick). Sligo has an Institute of Technology and a hospital roughly the same as Letterkenny.

Derry Airport will get you to Britain and some places in Europe in summer. Belfast is 2 hours away. Dublin is 3.5. Galway about the same.

Glenveigh National Park is half an hour from Letterkenny.

Clare has more touristy beaches, Donegal more isolated ones.

House prices are way cheaper here but jobs way less plentiful.

The weather is probably worse here.

HTH

Advertisement