Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MATCH THREAD: Ireland vs New Zealand on Tour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

RAKM wrote: »
    Is this game being repeated anywhere?

It's on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Craig Dowd says All Blacks' Kapo O Pango haka in Chicago was 'disrespectful'
    I have to say I watched the haka and cringed. Someone didn't do their homework in the All Blacks camp. Knowing a little bit about the Irish mentality and having had a 64-Test cap veteran and ex-Munster coach Anthony Foley die recently, with all the players wearing black armbands and having a moment's silence for him before the game, and knowing what that meant to the Irish team and the public, I thought pulling out the Kapo O Pango haka was disrespectful.

I've been to funerals and you do the Ka Mate haka to honour a warrior and it is different to doing the battle cry, or war cry, of Kapo O Pango which is a more aggressive challenge.

I thought, 'you guys haven't done your research here, you haven't actually thought through the process'. It's not a case of not backing themselves, they are the All Blacks and they should back themselves. But it is being respectful and I thought the haka choice was disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I didn't, and don't, find it disrespectful in the least. It wasn't a funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

LEIN wrote: »
    It's on YouTube.

Any links? I could only find the highlights after an hour searching

Thanks

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nArPwr8NMs8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Thanks

https://youtu.be/nArPwr8NMs8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Haven't read it yet, but Murray Kinsella has his full analysis of the game up:

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-how-did-ireland-beat-the-all-blacks-2016-3070365-Nov2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

MJohnston wrote: »

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-how-did-ireland-beat-the-all-blacks-2016-3070365-Nov2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

i just read that, brilliant stuff by MK again. The first try was very much 8 men as one. One person gets it wrong and it goes nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Connacht2KXX

MJohnston wrote: »

are the gifs broken on that site? for the last few pieces of analysis Murray has done, the gifs would play out but wouldn't repeat themselves. happening to anyone else?

are the gifs broken on that site? for the last few pieces of analysis Murray has done, the gifs would play out but wouldn't repeat themselves. happening to anyone else?

Yeah, same here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Same here. Pretty annoying

I tweeted to MK about it, hopefully they'll fix it.

Ireland are the first NH side to score 5 tries in a match v NZ in the professional era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Ireland are the first NH side to score 5 tries in a match v NZ in the professional era.

That's an amazing stat.

Who in the SH have done it?

.ak wrote: »
    That's an amazing stat.

Who in the SH have done it?

SA twice in the early noughties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Watched the game again cold n sober last night.

Not wanting to take anything away from it but I don't think it was our best performance ever, I think we played better in 2013 which is ironic considering the results.

The point I'm making is we'll need to play much better in a few weeks time if we have any aspirations in doing the double over them.

I thought we got caught napping defending too narrow at times, some of our backs weren't defending as a unit either and we went quiet a few times in defence - not fanning out or communicating to each other.

And at times when we tried to carry we ended up losing ground too...

Of course we only had 3 sessions together, by the time this game rolls around we'll have a lot more time together plus a couple of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

We should cancel this upcoming match and bloody dine out a bit on our recent win....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

.ak wrote: »
    The point I'm making is we'll need to play much better in a few weeks time if we have any aspirations in doing the double over them.

I thought we got caught napping defending too narrow at times, some of our backs weren't defending as a unit either and we went quiet a few times in defence - not fanning out or communicating to each other.

And at times when we tried to carry we ended up losing ground too...
    Yeah, especially the carrying which had us going backwards at times. Most of our territorial gains were through the boot or from indiscipline on the part of the ABs.

If you look at the stats, our biggest carriers were Rob Kearney, Robbie Henshaw, Conor Murray, CJ Stander and Jonny Sexton. Those carriers barely got over the 120 metre mark together. The ABs got a lot more ground from their carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Could Bealham have been penalised for angling in on the scrum before Henshaw's try?

RAKM wrote: »
    Is this game being repeated anywhere?

It's been on repeat in my gaff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The metres made discrepancy is quite striking for a winning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

One thing on matchday that I didn't like: There were numerous stalls around Soldier Field selling merchandise and I saw one that was selling the old '3' jersey for full price. I thought that was underhanded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

If you look at the stats, our biggest carriers were Rob Kearney, Robbie Henshaw, Conor Murray, CJ Stander and Jonny Sexton. Those carriers barely got over the 120 metre mark together. The ABs got a lot more ground from their carries.

I'd say it reflects the fact that Ireland kick long more often than NZ, most of the AB metres would be the back three simply running the ball back.

I don't really remember many searing breaks or big carries, apart from Naholo leading up to the first try.

One thing on matchday that I didn't like: There were numerous stalls around Soldier Field selling merchandise and I saw one that was selling the old '3' jersey for full price. I thought that was underhanded.

American's in attempt at quick buck shocker :pac:

tickets for the Aviva game going for 600 quid

Synode wrote: »
    American's in attempt at quick buck shocker :pac:

I should have pointed out: This was a stall inside the ground past where you scan your match tickets.

I should have pointed out: This was a stall inside the ground past where you scan your match tickets.

What's the difference? I doubt the IRFU had any control over what was on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

There was a moment, after Ireland were uniquely penalised for offside, where Jamie Heaslip was alone and surrounded standing over a kiwi on the ground and he was allowed loiter and retreat on his own terms. I don't think that will be happening next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

tickets for the Aviva game going for 600 quid
    Ticket similar to the one I have (not fancy premium or pitch side) going for €425 :eek:

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    What's the difference? I doubt the IRFU had any control over what was on sale

I'm not blaming the IRFU per se. I was simply pointing out that it was underhanded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm not blaming the IRFU per se. I was simply pointing out that it was underhanded.

It's also interesting to think who might have had access to sell inside the stadium and also had a lot of stock of unsold Irish jerseys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Could Bealham have been penalised for angling in on the scrum before Henshaw's try?

I'm not sure he was turning in, it looks like he was having a tough time of it. It looked to be him + Cronin not managing to contain the loose-head.

As far as carrying, commeth the hour commeth the Killer. The guy is becoming a serious weapon in the loose and its not like NZ give a crap about scrum penalties.

It's also interesting to think who might have had access to sell inside the stadium and also had a lot of stock of unsold Irish jerseys...

Whats Rala upto these days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Think you're reading too much into this.

It wasn't an IRFU event. Presumably the merchandise stand had ordered X number of Irish jerseys, got the version that was on sale at the time, and that's what they had to sell.

Think you're reading too much into this.

It wasn't an IRFU event. Presumably the merchandise stand had ordered X number of Irish jerseys, got the version that was on sale at the time, and that's what they had to sell.

I hope you're correct.

• Advertisement

Korat wrote: »
    There was a moment, after Ireland were uniquely penalised for offside, where Jamie Heaslip was alone and surrounded standing over a kiwi on the ground and he was allowed loiter and retreat on his own terms. I don't think that will be happening next time.

What do you mean? Heaslip wasn't retreating properly?

Aer Lingus just posted this on their twitter this evening, some great clips in it.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/796405976626819072

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Aer Lingus just posted this on their twitter this evening, some great clips in it.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/796405976626819072

Someone nice clips there.

bilston wrote: »
    Someone nice clips there.

1:36.. provincial jerseys when the national team is playing...

• Advertisement

Yeah and this wanker brought an Italy flag

u85u42n5d0wx.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I don't get the preciousness of having to wear an Ireland jersey to a game. Cost of tickets, plane fare, and hotel....and a fan isn't wearing the "right jersey"... They went to support the team , paid their money and can wear whatever they wish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is that a thing to get outraged by? :confused:

Is that a thing to get outraged by? :confused:

Yes, we're all outraged.

Someone mentioned Ireland's new head of Athletic Performance Nick Winkelman when talking about Ireland's conditioning on Saturday. Perhaps his appointment will be money well spent.

I don't get the preciousness of having to wear an Ireland jersey to a game. Cost of tickets, plane fare, and hotel....and a fan isn't wearing the "right jersey"... They went to support the team , paid their money and can wear whatever they wish

It's only ever Munster fans I see doing it too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes, we're all outraged.

Gosh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

It's only ever Munster fans I see doing it too ;)

I'm Irish but more importantly I'm from cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's clearly the end of days. Ireland beats the ABs and Trump wins the election. The apocalypse is here.

Yes I'm bitter. If I didn't live in Ireland I'd probably be as nice about it as all the other kiwis around the world have been. But I live here. It ruined my Saturday night and the past few days have been ****ing miserable as well. Every paddy I've ever met has decided to get in touch. People I haven't spoken to in 5 years decide they have to message me or tag me on FB. Dicks!

Luckily I have an Irish girlfriend so we have been re-enacting Once Were Warriors round at my place :D

Also surely Ben Smith's foot was in touch a fraction of a second before he grounds the ball? Yes I'm watching it for the fifth time

• Advertisement
Advertisement