Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! Dog doesn't hunt well after I fire a few shots over him?

• 05-11-2016 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Help! Dog doesn't hunt well after I fire a few shots over him! Any solutions welcome! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

are you knocking birds for him to retrieve

dry shots can wane a young dogs interest very fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

How old is the dog? Is this his first season?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

jimf wrote: »
    are you knocking birds for him to retrieve

dry shots can wane a young dogs interest very fast

Yes got a cock pheasant yesterday for him!

How old is the dog? Is this his first season?

No he's about 4 years old and has done about 3 seasons or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Help! Dog doesn't hunt well after I fire a few shots over him! Any solutions welcome! Thanks

Can we get a scenario.
    Did he get surprised??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Can we get a scenario.
    Did he get surprised??

As SC is saying, need more info. There are a number of reasons why a dog can spool but he hunted last couple of seasons? that is unusual for it to start now..did he get a few pellets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

berettaman wrote: »
    As SC is saying, need more info. There are a number of reasons why a dog can spool but he hunted last couple of seasons? that is unusual for it to start now..did he get a few pellets?

My Dog got spurred my a cock pheasant when he was 2, while he will hunt a runner, if its a shot flapper bouncing around the field he wont go near it and if he does it will be a fight to the death :D. 2 cocks this morning with him so its not a case that he doesn't have the hunt in him, its a case of he remembers what has happened to him in the past.

I suggest something has spooked your dog at some stage, even electric fences can have a serious affect on a dog

One of the lads here was telling me about a dog he had that was looking a bit gunshy out shooting duck.

He would fire a shot and the dog would start cowering afterwards. He had a look at the dog dry fired the gun over him, no problem but when he broke the gun dog started cowering.

So he fired the gun over the dog and the shot didn't bother him but when he broke the gun the dog cowered again.

In the end he reckoned the dog associated the click of the gun opening with a hiding he had gotten from the previous owner or maybe he broke the gun and smacked him on the head with the barrel.

Try dry firing the gun over him and taking a shot to see what exactly is causing the problem.

Can we get a scenario.
    Did he get surprised??

Ok so myself and a friend go out with the dog and we're walking along and the dog's hunting fine I shoot a crow but don't want him to retrieve it so we keep walking dog puts up a cock pheasant a while later and I shoot the cock he retrieves it and from then on he wouldn't go into the ditches just slopped along behind me for the rest of the time!

One of the lads here was telling me about a dog he had that was looking a bit gunshy out shooting duck.

He would fire a shot and the dog would start cowering afterwards. He had a look at the dog dry fired the gun over him, no problem but when he broke the gun dog started cowering.

So he fired the gun over the dog and the shot didn't bother him but when he broke the gun the dog cowered again.

In the end he reckoned the dog associated the click of the gun opening with a hiding he had gotten from the previous owner or maybe he broke the gun and smacked him on the head with the barrel.

Try dry firing the gun over him and taking a shot to see what exactly is causing the problem.
    Thanks yes you never know what a dog could have went through before you get them!

• Advertisement

Ok so myself and a friend go out with the dog and we're walking along and the dog's hunting fine I shoot a crow but don't want him to retrieve it so we keep walking dog puts up a cock pheasant a while later and I shoot the cock he retrieves it and from then on he wouldn't go into the ditches just slopped along behind me for the rest of the time!

Sounds like he's ****ed tired, how long were you out with him?

What reward did he get for retrieving the Cock?

Sounds like he's ****ed tired, how long were you out with him?

We were only out about 1 hour at that stage!

What reward did he get for retrieving the Cock?

Didn't have any treats on me so just gave him love and praise at the time!

Didn't have any treats on me so just gave him love and praise at the time!

Maybe he's confused. No treat for not retrieving the crow, no treat for retrieving the pheasent.

Sounds to me like the dog is tired, he may not be fit enough or he may be lacking some protein in his food.

You may have over exercised him over the weekend before the 1st or he may just be plain unfit.

Give him a bit of rest before the weekend, supplement his diet with more protein and don't hunt him as hard the next day. Also check he's not lame.

It May be just a simple fix. Keep us informed.

Sounds to me like the dog is tired, he may not be fit enough or he may be lacking some protein in his food.

You may have over exercised him over the weekend before the 1st or he may just be plain unfit.

Give him a bit of rest before the weekend, supplement his diet with more protein and don't hunt him as hard the next day. Also check he's not lame.

It May be just a simple fix. Keep us informed.

Thanks Yeah I try keep him well exercised but I must check about protein! Will do thanks for the help!

Thanks Yeah I try keep him well exercised but I must check about protein! Will do thanks for the help!

Read my post again, you need to rest the dog if you are over exercising him.

If he is under exercised/unfit you need to allow him time to rest and recover.

Bring him back to the trailer, it may take a few weeks, if there's no improvement I'm sure he'll make a nice pet for someone.

Up the protein!

Read my post again, you need to rest the dog if you are over exercising him.

If he is under exercised/unfit you need to allow him time to rest and recover.

Bring him back to the trailer, it may take a few weeks, if there's no improvement I'm sure he'll make a nice pet for someone.

Up the protein!

Thanks what I meant was he should be fairly fit but then again we all need a rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

It's nothing to do with tiredness lad. The dog is obviously gun shy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement