Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security video Cameras & Apps

Options
2»

Comments

bk wrote: »
    I've the first Gen Logitech Circle camera. Excellent product. I paid just £70 for it last year during an Amazon sale.

24 hours of free notifications and video storage. 1080HD

It detects motion very well and is mere seconds to notify you of motion. If it goes offline, you get a notification in a minute or two.

They have now added Google Home support, so you can ask GH to cast the video to a chromecast on your TV, very nice.

It can use your phones location to switch off or switch to privacy mode when your home. Mine has a battery built in. so it would continue to work after a power outage, though obviously you would also need your broadband on a UPS.

I think it is a nice addition to increase the security of a home. But maybe not the only device.

I also previously had a Canary camera, very good too, but I got rid of it after the company started messing customers around with subscriptions. I wouldn't recommend them now.

Other people have and like Nest Cameras, Blink, Arlo, etc. They all get discussed a lot over on the Home Automation forum.

Thanks BK - very informative post and didn't realise there was a Home Automation forum - where is it located?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks BK - very informative post and didn't realise there was a Home Automation forum - where is it located?

It's here.
    Plenty of smart security devices that can be self installed for minimal cost.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

2011 wrote: »
    @bk, to be honest I never heard of this camera until I read your post.
    It was only then that I googled it.
    I am upgrading my alarm system and general security system at present so the next thing on my list is one of these.

FYI The Circle 2 is on sale on amazon.co.uk today, £99 and another 20% off if you buy two.

Now mine is the Circle 1, so I can't personally vouch for this one, but I assume it is much the same.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bk wrote: »
    FYI The Circle 2 is on sale on amazon.co.uk today, £99 and another 20% off if you buy two.

Now mine is the Circle 1, so I can't personally vouch for this one, but I assume it is much the same.

Thanks, think I will look into that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Started looking into getting a home security camera for front and back of house - partially for security, partially to keep an eye on the dog. The Logitech looks to be a decent piece of kit I must say. Was looking at the nest also.

Will have a look at the home automation forum to see if I can find out more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

budhabob wrote: »
    Started looking into getting a home security camera for front and back of house - partially for security, partially to keep an eye on the dog. The Logitech looks to be a decent piece of kit I must say. Was looking at the nest also.

Will have a look at the home automation forum to see if I can find out more.

The difference between Nest and Circle is that you will almost definitely need a Nest subscription to use it, while with Circle, depending on what you need, you might get away without a sub.

BTW for those interested, I did some testing of my Circle 1 and the speed of notifications.

Motion detected notifications are almost instantaneous. Well a few seconds max.

Camera Offline notifications, take longer, it seems to be exactly 5 minutes after I turned off my wifi. I guess they know sooner but are waiting to see if the network comes back, avoids issues around temporary network disconnects.

Pretty decent, though I'd prefer if it did it after 2 minutes.

Advertisement