Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help needed with scope

• 05-11-2016 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

hi folks,would like to know is there any way i can bring my scope back about 2 inches?the gun, remington 223 is shooting great,but i have to shove the old head forward for full view,and its a bit uncomfortable,would other mounts/rings help?was thinking of lopping off a bit off the stock,can that be done?thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not with the rings you currently have.

As for taking some of the stock, DON'T. The LOP (Length of Pull) is as critical as the eye relief. IOW if you take some off the stock while your eye relief is sorted now your LOP is off and you'll find it hard to shoot as well.

Best thing to do is get a picatinny rail and rings. Much more movement and far better than the current set up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Cass wrote: »
    Best thing to do is get a picatinny rail and rings. Much more movement and far better than the current set up.

Second this, picatinny rail and new rings, much better platform for adjustments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks lads,any suggestions what rail and rings,scope is a 1 inch tube,sorry for all the questions,its my first centerfire

The, unfortunate, answer to that is how much do you want to spend.

The old adage of "buy once, buy right" holds true, but a factor to consider is the 223 is not a recoil heavy gun. IOW there is no major kick so you don't need to go for the GTI model simply because it costs ten grand and everyone else says unless you buy it you're not a real shooter.

You can spend anything from €50 to €150. The EGW rail is functional and i had one for a short time and it worked perfectly. Then you have the Recknagel, Burris, etc for around €80. Also the Warne brand which runs in the €80 mark or the Warne Maxima Tactical which can go for between €120 to €145. It only goes up from here. You can look at Nightforce, NEAR mfg, etc.

Also consider whether you want 0 moa or 20 moa. 0 moa is a flat rail while 20 moa has (approx) 20 moa of inclination built into the rail to save you using a lot of clicks/moa to get zero, which allows for longer shooting (distance wise).

The exact same as above holds true for rings. They start at €25 for the likes of Hawke to €50 for Burris/Leupold, to €80 for Warne, to €150 for Nightforce. So again pick a budget and whatever you're comfortable with will work.

As i said above the 223 is low recoil so the rail and rigs really only have to hold it onto the rifle and not deal with huge recoil. As such you can go "low" in budget and in time upgrade. However if you can afford better now, then go for it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

thanks alot lads,is there any place here or in uk that sells these rails,ive tried and seem to only get usa shops,would take ages to come,i also tried amazon,i created a new account,but when i tried to order,said they wont ship to my address

• Advertisement

sniperman wrote: »
    thanks alot lads,is there any place here or in uk that sells these rails..........
    A few shops here have them in stock. You won't find many sites with them, but if you ring around a few they'll have them.

As for the Uk try here, here, and here.

Might actually know someone with one so i'll give him a shout and ask.
    ...........but when i tried to order,said they wont ship to my address
    Thought as much. It's classed as a firearm part and the US is getting very strict on what they allow to be shipped. Even stuff that used to be allowed, no longer is.

Cass wrote: »
    A few shops here have them in stock. You won't find many sites with them, but if you ring around a few they'll have them.

As for the Uk try here, here, and here.

Might actually know someone with one so i'll give him a shout and ask.

Thought as much. It's classed as a firearm part and the US is getting very strict on what they allow to be shipped. Even stuff that used to be allowed, no longer is.
    thanks alot,most helpfull as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Do a search on EBay for rings

"One Piece 25.4mm 1” Ring Black Scope Dovetail Rail Mount for 20mm Mounts"

Those adaptors can be a pain. Sometimes they hold properly and any slippage will result in the rail moving with the scope and loss of zero.

Whatever about the quality of the rail you buy go for the direct screw mount one that screws directly into the receiver and avoid all those possible issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Have a look for offset rings too, if you are lucky you may be able to get some that might work with your bases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

sniperman wrote: »
    thanks lads,any suggestions what rail and rings,scope is a 1 inch tube,sorry for all the questions,its my first centerfire

Lad,
    Unless you do long range, like 1000ya or bencrest/precision, don't spend a lot.

If you're punching holes in paper, deer, or foxes, inside of 300ya, just about any setup will do.

I would go with Burris XTR Rings, a lot like the ones I was selling here:rolleyes:, and a rail, like EGW, as Cass mentioned above.

I have XTR rings on all of my hunting rifles sitting on picatinny rails. Only use Weaver setups on classic rifles and dovetail on air.

For the long range game, I use Spuhr or NightForce.

I like having a lot of surface area and six bolts per ring.

If you want to splurge, a NF picatinny rail would be ideal.

If that is a 40mm bell, feel free to ask what size rings go with what Picatinny rail. I have a few combos and could try them out on my 700 in 223.

thanks to all for help,think im sorted now,a lad on here has sold me a picatinny rail,and i have some hawke rings on the way,all in all about €75,think that will do

Advertisement