Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Brake lever Travel

• 05-11-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

My front brake lever is coming back really far when I pull it. it's not like it's spongy, it's just biting very far back. It has brand new pads , braided lines and gsxr calipers , there is still a fair amount of "slack" before it starts to bite hard.
    Anyone know what could be the problem here

Bike is a 98 Kawasaki zx6r .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Check the adjusters at the top of the lever could have moved....how old is the clutch fluid? No harm changing it at regularly and with a good bleed you be brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

pudzey101 wrote: »
    My front brake lever is coming back really far when I pull it. it's not like it's spongy, it's just biting very far back. It has brand new pads , braided lines and gsxr calipers , there is still a fair amount of "slack" before it starts to bite hard.
    Anyone know what could be the problem here

Bike is a 98 Kawasaki zx6r .

Check the brake fluid, it is probably low. Or else, more likely, it just needs to be changed.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Check the adjusters at the top of the lever could have moved....how old is the clutch fluid? No harm changing it at regularly and with a good bleed you be brand new.

I presume you mean *brake* fluid? :D

rat_race wrote: »
    Check the brake fluid, it is probably low. Or else, more likely, it just needs to be changed.

I presume you mean *brake* fluid? :D

LMFAO, yeah m8.....dont know what I was thinking. Head cold has me in bits here.

Cheers. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Has it been like that for a while or have you changed the pads/calipers/lines and then it happened..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

If it's not spongy and just the amount of travel then I'd suggest a top up or new fluid and a bleed. Spongy is usually contaminated fluid, travel suggests an air gap.
    Also, it might be worth checking the disk thickness.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

put it down to the brake fluid cheers lads , pads are less than 2 weeks old and checked fluid this morning its fairly dark colour . Must have never been replaced and bled during changing . thanks :)

I think its every 2 years is the recommended time to change brake fluid. Its not expensive so get a good brand....if that doesnt fix it with a good bleed at the nipple, then bleed at the actual banjo bolt instead more flow so more air escape if there is indeed a gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Brake fluid absorbs moisture out of the air over time - doesn't cause a problem until you need to do repeated hard braking and the fluid at the caliper end gets hot enough to boil the moisture - instant no brakes! So that's the main reason it should be flushed out and changed every 2-3 years.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement