Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Marmotte 2017

Options
  • 05-11-2016 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Right, who's up for it? Entry out on Monday. Flights booked, accommodation booked, bikes hired and in the process of hiring a car/van.

This will be my fourth year attempting this route, second time attempting official event that's if I get my entry on Monday. Don't know if I have it in me but I'll give it a lash anyway. So, here's to La Marmotte 2017.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kyran7

Signed, sealed and delivered, booked the entry this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

No single entries available yet, they are selling their bundles first it seems

Yes, we checked this morning. 4 of us booked a bundle this morning in order to guarantee entry. Not ideal I know, but at least we are now guaranteed entry. We took the cheapest bundle available. Had a quick chat about it and then just went for it.

Anyone register for 2017 edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marathon50

Eight of us entered. Single entry opened Sunday night at 11pm, no problems took
    me about 25mins to complete the 8 entries. This is my 5th year to do it.
    missed out last year did the Pyrenees version instead. Enjoyed it had a good time but just not as epic as the original, plus the end of August is a bit late.
    If you are out there for the week next year make sure you do the Prix des Rousse
    on the Wednesday before the Marmotte. Its a great spin its only 45km but will shock the legs in to climbing mode fairly quick.

• Advertisement

Marathon 50, would like some advice. Did the official event 2 years ago, 2015, the year they changed the route. It was ridiculously hot that year. I was in the last wave out in the morning, and got to the bottom of the Alpe at 6:47, seventeen minutes outside the cut off. I felt ok, but was disappointed that I was outside cut-off. I was on my own that year and managed to talk myself out of going up Alpe D'Hueze and finishing as I had my Campervan at bottom of Alpe.
    Went over again last year with 3 other lads. Again, got to bottom of Alpe and had enough. What do they say, "sign of a stupid man is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". As you have done it so many times, would love to know how you get ready for it. What kind of a Training plan do you have, what weight do you think is ideal etc., etc. Thanks, and hope to bump into a few Irish lads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Kyran7 wrote: »
    Marathon 50, would like some advice. Did the official event 2 years ago, 2015, the year they changed the route. It was ridiculously hot that year. I was in the last wave out in the morning, and got to the bottom of the Alpe at 6:47, seventeen minutes outside the cut off. I felt ok, but was disappointed that I was outside cut-off. I was on my own that year and managed to talk myself out of going up Alpe D'Hueze and finishing as I had my Campervan at bottom of Alpe.
    Went over again last year with 3 other lads. Again, got to bottom of Alpe and had enough. What do they say, "sign of a stupid man is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". As you have done it so many times, would love to know how you get ready for it. What kind of a Training plan do you have, what weight do you think is ideal etc., etc. Thanks, and hope to bump into a few Irish lads there.

I've done the Marmotte a few times..
    heres the tread from 2014 which has a lot of info/links to training etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057044244

Next time...park your campervan in Alpe D'huez! ;)

401845.jpg

401845.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 calhansla

Got signed up on Tuesday night 5 of us heading over first time doing it. Need to start getting the miles in and start shedding some timber.how hard are the climbs in the marmotte it's all very daunting reading and looking at the videos.

• Advertisement

It's a tough event, but very doable!... the climbs are long! .. Glandon 26k, Telegraph 14k, Galibier 18k and Alp D'huez 14k. Much longer than any climbs we have in irl.

A compact chainset (or a triple) is essential.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    It's a tough event, but very doable!... the climbs are long! .. Glandon 26k, Telegraph 14k, Galibier 18k and Alp D'huez 14k. Much longer than any climbs we have in irl.

A compact chainset (or a triple) is essential.

Ya there's nothing like it in Ireland been cycling for a good few years have done all the major sportives in the country and raced for a couple of years so decided to do a new challenge. We have hired bikes for the weekend take the stress out of it. The bikes have a compact and a 12 ×32 on the back so there's loads there hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Burkie_Fi

Anyone advise on accommodation surrounding this event? Was hoping to make a family holiday out of it for a few days on either side. Is Grenoble best place to base out of? Preference will be a rental house as there'll be 2 friends flying in for just the weekend of the cycle so be handy if they could stay.
    All advice welcome.

Burkie_Fi wrote: »
    Anyone advise on accommodation surrounding this event? Was hoping to make a family holiday out of it for a few days on either side. Is Grenoble best place to base out of? Preference will be a rental house as there'll be 2 friends flying in for just the weekend of the cycle so be handy if they could stay.
    All advice welcome.

We booked through Airbnb rented a chalet for 3 nights really good value. You would need to book soon as nearly all of the accommodation on the alpe and in bourg d'oisans was nearly gone we are just outside about 12k away from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Burkie_Fi

Realistically what is too far to travel that morning? Don't want a long drive and then have to park far out. I,m looking at Air BnB now - thanks! Will be ideal to store bikes and kids :)

Bourg D'Oisan is probably ideal. This year we are staying near Les Deux Alpes, arounf 15km from the town. Couldn't get anything in or near the town so it will have to do. All I can say really is the closer the better to the start line. Thing is you may not have a choice as it appears to be selling out fast. We've hired bikes from Rocky Sports at the top of Alpe D'Hueze, collecting them on Saturday evening.

Right, so I attempted what I thought would be an FTP test last weekend. Never did anything like it before so just rocked up with an open mind.

Started with a 15-20 min warm up, followed by a few stretches etc. Then, back on the Wattbike. The Coach explained to me that we would first be doing a "balls out" 3 minute blind test. The "blind" meant that I could not see the numbers. We had a good 5 minute talk while I was loosening up on the bike about what "give it everything you have" meant. Do I keep a bit back? Do I just give it everything? How can I give it everything, I will crack after 45 seconds? His reply every time was that I had to give it everything in the tank and had to keep going for the 3 minutes. My brother was in the gym with me as well as my 2 young kids.

So, he covered the screen and my HR monitor and counted me in. I gave it everything and begged for time checks. After 45 seconds I was in the horrors, I think it's the most pain that I've ever felt, heart, lungs, legs, everything. At the half way I almost said f### this but the 2 lads pretty much told me that I wasn't getting off until the 3 mins were up. Finally, I got there. I almost fell off the bike at the end. I just wobbled off and wandered over to the open door to get some air and then I just slumped to the floor where I stayed for the next 7 minutes. I just gave the lads the thumbs up to let them know that I was ok.

Then for the next part of the test. The Coach explained that he had calculated my average power for the 3 minute test and next up was to maintain 80% of that for 20 minutes or as long as I could. I knew when I was getting back on the bike that this wasn't going to happen. I had already talked my way out of it. After about 9 minutes of maintaining 344 watts I said f### this and got off, in bits.

My avg power for the 3 min test w 433 watts. I had never done this test before and I'm not sure if I want to do it again. He has sent me on some data and I will be having a chat with him tomorrow. I will be back again in 6 weeks time for the 20 min test (not the 3 min ball buster).

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

calhansla wrote: »
    Ya there's nothing like it in Ireland been cycling for a good few years have done all the major sportives in the country and raced for a couple of years so decided to do a new challenge. We have hired bikes for the weekend take the stress out of it. The bikes have a compact and a 12 ×32 on the back so there's loads there hopefully.

Bring your own saddle (and pedals if you like). When we did it a few years ago we brought our own bikes but after riding both the Glandon and Alpe d'Huez in the days before, we decided to rent bikes with triples (softies) for the weekend. We swapped over our saddles, wheels and pedals so my rented bike was no different my own really (Giant TCR for a Giant Defy - 2010).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I will be back again in 6 weeks time for the 20 min test (not the 3 min ball buster).

SIX weeks time? Why so long?

Sure is that not the info you need right now - so you can calculate your training zones and be...y'know.... training! :pac:

fat bloke wrote: »
    SIX weeks time? Why so long?

Sure is that not the info you need right now - so you can calculate your training zones and be...y'know.... training! :pac:

Yep, I got my Training zones from first test. Work on those and test again in 6 weeks to show progression and possibly adjust training zones again.
    By the way, I think 6 weeks between testing is pretty standard.
    But I am open to any suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yep, I got my Training zones from first test. Work on those and test again in 6 weeks to show progression and possibly adjust training zones again.
    By the way, I think 6 weeks between testing is pretty standard.
    But I am open to any suggestions.

Ahhh. Course yeah. Sorry. Makes sense if you're re-testing. Thought 6 weeks time was at to be your first test.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 2old4this

For those that have done the marmotte before, is the Wicklow 200 too close at June 11th or is it worth doing for training?
    Thanks

Definitely do the WW200! and I'd also suggest doing another descent spin (150K with 2000m climbing) the weekend before the Marmotte.

The Mick Byrne 200 is also on May 28th, with 2790m of climbing

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Last year I did:
    the MB200,
    a flat 100k sportive in Westmeath,
    The WW 200,
    the 1.5 ride (a "mountainy" sportive in Bunclody),
    and a flat 100k Sportive in Wexford

on the 5 consecutive week-ends leading up to the Marmotte. Did my usual training spins in between and a few short (i.e 10-20k) spins around Alpe D'Huez in the few days leading up to the event just to get a feel for those alpine climbs.

On the flat sportives I went as hard as I could and on the more mountainous ones I aimed for steady but challenging efforts on the climbs. That worked well for me and my legs were nice and fresh for the big day.

The WW200 is good day to practice things like your choice of gear; taking a drink on a steep gradient (we can usually avoid that here but in the Marmotte you'll need to be comfortable reaching for the bottle on a 10% grade in a big group-I for one needed to practice that); and controlled pacing on the climbs, (bearing in mind that they are NOTHING like the Alpine climbs for which nothing can really prepare you). The only way the WW200 would be too close to the Marmotte would be if you went eyeballs out race effort for the whole thing. Imho.

RB

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

So this is on the Sunday this year, not the traditional Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

2old4this wrote: »
    For those that have done the marmotte before, is the Wicklow 200 too close at June 11th or is it worth doing for training?
    Thanks

God no MB200 and WW200 should be part of the training. I did the WW200 in preparation with a standard crankset and an 11-25 cassette - it was a great test.

Lads,

Couple of questions regarding Marmotte if anyone knows:

1. What kind of food is at the food stops?
    2. Can you register the night before?
    3. If you are scheduled to leave in a particular wave, can you chose another, is anyone going to stop you?

Thanks

Lads,

Couple of questions regarding Marmotte if anyone knows:

1. What kind of food is at the food stops?
    2. Can you register the night before?
    3. If you are scheduled to leave in a particular wave, can you chose another, is anyone going to stop you?

Thanks

1. Didn't really use the official food stops, but from what i could see they had Banana's, Ham and cheese rolls, Orange's (slices) and water.
    2. yes registration is usually open in Alp D'huez the day before and I believe you can also register on the morning of the event in Bourg D'Oisan.
    3. Offically NO. The marshals will direct you into your appropriate Pen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

My experience of the food was it was very poor - I wouldn't rely on it at all again if I was doing it. Registration is from Thursday afaik in Alpe D'Huez.

Regarding start times you given a number and 1-2000 go at 7am. 2000-4000 go at 7.30 and the remaining virgin riders go at 8am.

Tbh though Just muscle your way into the starting pen regardless of your number. Starting at 7 and hopefully avoiding the serious afternoon heat (IF the weather is good - it P1SSED rain last year) is the way to go imho.

Advertisement