Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting a near miss.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

And before someone posts the usual 'but you are not comparing like with like as cyclists are vulnerable road-users' response, this includes pedestrian lights. An elderly or infirm pedestrian crossing a pedestrian crossing could easily be killed by a cyclist. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.
    just for the record, the last time a cyclist was at fault in the death of another road user in ireland was in 2002. it was not related to pedestrian lights though. i'm not aware of a cyclist breaking a red and causing the death of a pedestrian, but obviously the records may be hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Ah here. The number of people here branding me as a criminal because I am a cyclist, and therefore have no respect for red lights.

I am a cyclist. When I am cycling I wear all the cycling gear because it is more comfortable. I stop for EVERY RED LIGHT, knowing that it kills my momentum.

I know from experience that as a cyclist I am very soft and squishy compared to basically everything else on the road. 12 years ago I ended up in the side of a car, despite going through a GREEN light. I needed a year of dental work to repair the damage. The bike was written off. Why on earth would I take more risks by going through a red?

Not all cyclists are saints. Not all cyclists are blatant law breakers though, and as a motorist I will say the exact same about the other side.

Claiming that you've seen some cyclists breaking the law therefore they all do is just lazy bullsh*t to satisfy your own prejudices, but unfortunately nothing said here will help to change that.

</rant> *breathes*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: The whole motorists/cyclists don't do this, motorists/cyclists do do this back and forth has been done to death on this forum. The number of posts on this subject already means that the subject is well covered and nothing to do with the thread at hand.

EDIT: I have just deleted a few posts after this one. The next person to start the "but cars do this" or reply "but cyclists do that" can take a break from posting for a few days. It has nothing to do with the thread. It is what is known as straw-manning.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

It's very, very common to see cyclists blatantly breaking red lights at all hours of the day and night, in all traffic and weather conditions. HGV dirvers who break red lights are the exceptions to rule. Cyclists who do not obey the rules are the norm. Everyone who is being honest and objective knows this.

And before someone posts the usual 'but you are not comparing like with like as cyclists are vulnerable road-users' response, this includes pedestrian lights. An elderly or infirm pedestrian crossing a pedestrian crossing could easily be killed by a cyclist. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

As for the case of the cyclist who breaks a red light and is run over and killed by a motor vehicle, the driver will have this on their conscience for the rest of their life, even though the reckless cyclist is the one to blame.

Note, none of this excuses what the HGV driver allegedly did in this case.

This notion that a frail person _could_ get killed by a cyclist speeding through a red light is nonsense as they could equally and probably more likely be killed by a driver as there are more motor vehicles on the road than bicycles (See what I just did there by twisting logic and the facts)

Advertisement