Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb - Can we still use the property?

Options
  • 06-11-2016 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,
    We have a property that we are thinking of renting out with Airbnb. I was looking on their website for information with regards to how often we could still use the property, it's a holiday home at the moment, but couldn't find any clear information, does anyone have any ideas?
    Also is this covered under the rent a room €12,000 tax relief scheme or have there been some changes to that? I was reading a document which indicated we would pay tax.
    If anyone has any other information please feel free to comment, it's just an idea at the moment.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Airbnb income is fully taxable and not exempt under the rent a room scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anon2013 wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have a property that we are thinking of renting out with Airbnb. I was looking on their website for information with regards to how often we could still use the property, it's a holiday home at the moment, but couldn't find any clear information, does anyone have any ideas?
    Also is this covered under the rent a room €12,000 tax relief scheme or have there been some changes to that? I was reading a document which indicated we would pay tax.
    If anyone has any other information please feel free to comment, it's just an idea at the moment.
    Thanks.
    Rent a room is when you are renting a room in your house not when you are letting a whole house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Some holiday homes have conditions in the planning that they can only be occupied say 90 days per year. You need to take into consideration who is going to clean the house, let in guests, deal with the no hot water at 10pm at night etc. Airbnb is not just slapping it up online and raking in the cash. You might think the house is amazing, but would someone else? Airbnb rentals tend to be more on the premium end of housing standards, hence the reason why a greater amount of apartments in Spencer Dock are Airbnbs versus shoebox apartments in Dublin 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Anon2013

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Some holiday homes have conditions in the planning that they can only be occupied say 90 days per year. You need to take into consideration who is going to clean the house, let in guests, deal with the no hot water at 10pm at night etc. Airbnb is not just slapping it up online and raking in the cash. You might think the house is amazing, but would someone else? Airbnb rentals tend to be more on the premium end of housing standards, hence the reason why a greater amount of apartments in Spencer Dock are Airbnbs versus shoebox apartments in Dublin 7.

Thanks for all replies,
    We use it as a holiday home but it is a 4 bedroom property which we inherited a couple of years ago. It's currently gets cleaned once a week by a neighbour and she said she would have no issue looking after guests - giving keys etc.
    We were approached by a local committee in the village, the town is doing surprisingly well, tourist wise and they'd like more accommodation for tourists to stay in.
    Anyway plenty for us to think about.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Did I read something about Dublin ( city?) council proposing ( not in yet) that Air bnb used properties for long term quick turnover stays would have to apply for planning permission for change if purpose from domestic to tourist/business use? Not in yet not may it be regularised this way but wirth a google.

Also - I think the rent a room scheme went up to a total of 14,000 aprox in the last budget - however this assumed it is you principle residence& you are supposed to be living there.

Air bnb got a lot of people into revenue trouble by giving their POS & bank details & renting out booking details to the irish revenue last year - no guarantee they won't continue to be so forthcoming in the future. Made it very messy for many .

No doubt the town would like tourism but would the added maintenance & risk be worth it? Also, the load on your neighbour - would it suite them? I guess that without their coopoeration you might be a bit snookered!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP you use the place at any time when you don't have a booking for it.

With airbnb you don't just turn the lace over to them: you or someone on your behalf needs to take enquiries and accept bookings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Anon2013 wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies,
    We use it as a holiday home but it is a 4 bedroom property which we inherited a couple of years ago. It's currently gets cleaned once a week by a neighbour and she said she would have no issue looking after guests - giving keys etc.
    We were approached by a local committee in the village, the town is doing surprisingly well, tourist wise and they'd like more accommodation for tourists to stay in.
    Anyway plenty for us to think about.
    Thanks.
    The neighbour, I'm sure, has good intentions but if there was a regular enough stream of guests, that could become headwrecking for her, fast!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If it is a holiday home in a tourist area, it probably has planning permission for short stay. Most people in those towns are glad of the business brought in by holidaymakers. I would be confident there would be no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If it is a holiday home in a tourist area, it probably has planning permission for short stay. Most people in those towns are glad of the business brought in by holidaymakers. I would be confident there would be no trouble.

With the exception of any local B&Bs if present. They tend to not like the competition.

Advertisement