Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 Mile 29th Jan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Its a family day out for us with myself and the wife in the main race and the kids taking part in the u8s and u10s. Signed up myself and the wife. Any idea when the kids race goes up? Its not a big issue, but if I could get it all done in advance it would be great. One year I forgot and required the help of someone on this forum to get me in late.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am nearly sure the kids race is just register on the day. But will check for you.

Yes kids are pay on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Just registered for this.

My first ever race.

So excited.

You picked a great one for your first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

What will parking facillities be like at this?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    What will parking facillities be like at this?

You might be lucky and get parking in the village but can be hard, the estate I live in is about 5 minute walk away from the start line and you will get parking no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

Lazare wrote: »
    Just registered for this.

My first ever race.

So excited.
    You're going to be so disappointed with every other race's goodie bag in the future. This one is the best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

AlanPat wrote: »
    This one is the best!!!
    Does it still have a ton of chocolate in it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

will there be many slow runners? never run 5mile before just 5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ene wrote: »
    will there be many slow runners? never run 5mile before just 5k

yeah, plenty at every level
    https://sites.google.com/site/runninginireland/results-of-the-raheny-5-mile-sun-25th-jan-2015

there is also a separate start for walkers

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

also is it very hilly?

ene wrote: »
    also is it very hilly?

no, there is one uphill, on Watermill Road, at about the 4 mile mark, but apart from that pretty much flat or downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

RayCun wrote: »
    no, there is one uphill, on Watermill Road, at about the 4 mile mark, but apart from that pretty much flat or downhill
    Is it reverting back to the old route this year?

fletch wrote:
    Is it reverting back to the old route this year?

No, it's not confirmed yet but looks like very similar to last year with maybe a small change in the park.

forgot it changed last year! (the one year I didn't run it)

Still fairly flat though, I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

forgot it changed last year! (the one year I didn't run it)

Still fairly flat though, I presume?

Much flatter. Takes out the downhill to the coast and the resultant climb back up at mile 4 to divert in to the park. It does have a long out and back section along the main road in the park, which i'm not a fan of personally but very fair course with regard running fast times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Just registered.

Initially wasn't going to when I saw that start time wasn't until 3pm. I like to get my runs done early. However - having completed the 12k's of Christmas today, which didn't begin until 12pm, it was a nice change and I felt a bit more awake for it!

Much flatter. Takes out the downhill to the coast and the resultant climb back up at mile 4 to divert in to the park. It does have a long out and back section along the main road in the park, which i'm not a fan of personally but very fair course with regard running fast times.

This is the bit that they are talking about changing, maybe just a big loop of the park or something not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Is this PB potential course? How would the course compare to say the Terenure 5 mile course - that's where I have my PB.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Haven't run the new course but I'd say it is a potential PB course once you have the training done. Probably not as fast as Terneure but not too much in the difference. So you could PB here and then PB again in Terenure in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Is this PB potential course? How would the course compare to say the Terenure 5 mile course - that's where I have my PB.

Thanks

I've run faster in Raheny than in Terenure. It's a nice, cold time of year as well, which I think makes for faster times - no chance of it being too warm!

anyone have a Garmin link to the new course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

anyone have a Garmin link to the new course?

Here is last years course anyway from Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Here is last years course anyway from Strava
    Agreed. The elevation readings are that it's a barely perceptible difference between any one mile:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1034824683

I think they're going to remove some of the down-and-back of the avenue and instead send people in a small loop. I haven't yet seen the final revised course details.

Whatever happens they won't unfortunately be in a position to let the 3rd/4th mile descent to the seafront and 4th/5th mile climb back up Watermill Ave. (Still can't believe the various authorities are still working on the seafront: there'd have been less disturbance to the mudflat wildfowl had a few JCBs been allowed dump a tonne or two of rocks for a 10-15m out by just over 1km long stretch - over where there are already storm drains and various water outlets anyway. Even a Dublin quays walkway - as cycleway - would've been easier to install than all the roadworks done to date).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I was talking to one of the organisers yesterday, and for the most part the course remains as it was laid out last year.

They are planning to will have proper crash barriers dividing the middle of the Avenue, as apparently some people were ducking under the ropes to shorten the route last year.

Just signed up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

This is a great race to start the year, just hope they expand the road where we run in the bus lane, as it can't take the numbers it had last year.

This is a great race to start the year, just hope they expand the road where we run in the bus lane, as it can't take the numbers it had last year.

If you referring to the Howth Road section (about mile .9 to 1.6), that is going to be difficult, as the road will be down to 1 lane and, it is one of the major roads out / into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 McRuge

Just signed up for first time at this course. Looking at the results from last year, is it a really fast course or is the quality of the runners really high? Sub-30 minutes barely gets you in top 150

• Advertisement

McRuge wrote: »
    Just signed up for first time at this course. Looking at the results from last year, is it a really fast course or is the quality of the runners really high? Sub-30 minutes barely gets you in top 150

Its both...

Generally attracts some of the top club runners from around the country.

Advertisement