Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 Mile 29th Jan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Its both...

Generally attracts some of the top club runners from around the country.

Uh-oh. Is a time of 50mins too slow to attempt this race do you think?

Edit - just checked last years race results. I should be fine but ..... it's a big race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Not at all.

Just make sure that you get into you correct pacing group, as it will make for a more enjoyable experience for you, and indeed everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 McRuge

MisterDrak wrote: »
    McRuge wrote: »
    Just signed up for first time at this course. Looking at the results from last year, is it a really fast course or is the quality of the runners really high? Sub-30 minutes barely gets you in top 150

Its both...

Generally attracts some of the top club runners from around the country.
    Cheers. Aiming to go under 30 after a near miss last year in Terenure so fast pace will be a help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

As a fairly new convert to the running scene myself Bananleaf I used to have the same thoughts....one thing I have learned is that running is a very inclusive past time and no matter what your pace is the fact you are getting out there is the main thing.....you will get plenty of support from others on the course.

Just be sure to pace yourself correctly at the start and most importantly enjoy yourself!!

Craig

Edit - just checked last years race results. I should be fine but ..... it's a big race!!

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    You might be lucky and get parking in the village but can be hard, the estate I live in is about 5 minute walk away from the start line and you will get parking no problem.

Care to say where you live? :P Might help :)

Will be driving to this and don't really know the area so a handy place to park the car would be a good thing. (or should I just arrive extra early and find a cafe nearby for a cuppa tea?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Are race numbers posted out to us? I can't remember and can't find my confirmation email. eek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Will be driving to this and don't really know the area so a handy place to park the car would be a good thing. (or should I just arrive extra early and find a cafe nearby for a cuppa tea?)

Last year I parked on Avondale Park with no problems, only a few minutes walk away from the race start.

Are race numbers posted out to us? I can't remember and can't find my confirmation email. eek

I signed up there about an hour ago, and you have the choice when signing up. (extra €2 to get it posted to you)

I chose to collect it, as I like to try and arrive a little early and get a feel for what's going on (still very very new to attending these kinda events, and 5 miles (8k?) is the longest i'll have ever done, so half dreading the thoughts of it.

It said on the form though that if you opt for the number to be posted out, you'll have it by the 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

This race back in 2010 was the first time I ever ran 5 miles. You'll be grand, there's a lot of support on the course and the atmosphere will carry you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

It was also my first 5 miler, back in 2013. Every level of runner is catered for; there'll be people around you all the way, irrespective of your standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Signed up last night, absolutely love this race, one of the best on the calendar for the year! I think that this is my fifth (or sixth?) year in a row to do this one, so well organised and friendly, would strongly recommend it to the serious runner and newbie alike.

Great way to run off the selection boxes (kicks last Curly Wurly wrapper in to the bin);)

Hopefully might see a few Boardies there on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

smashiner wrote: »
    Signed up last night, absolutely love this race, one of the best on the calendar for the year! I think that this is my fifth (or sixth?) year in a row to do this one, so well organised and friendly, would strongly recommend it to the serious runner and newbie alike.

Great way to run off the selection boxes (kicks last Curly Wurly wrapper in to the bin);)

Only to be given a goodie bag full of more chocolate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Only to be given a goodie bag full of more chocolate :D

Damn it, society is forcing me to eat chocolate....ah well I tried!

smashiner wrote: »

Ill be giving out the race numbers on the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Care to say where you live? :P Might help :)

If you're taking the Howth road from Fairview, I always park in the same spot. when you come to the Sybil Hill junction (after Killester, and you will see a church on the left, school immediately opposite on the right) go straight through, then take the next right where the park ends. Turn immediately left (and I mean immediately) onto Wade's Ave and park down at the end of that road (it runs parallel to the Howth Rd). It's my little secret though, so don't tell anyone.

The tennis courts car park on All saints Road, have expanded in the last year, should be able to handle > 100 cars now. Ill still come early to get one of them spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Nice example of front running by Vinny Mulvey back in 2006 (robbed from FB).....cool video.

https://youtu.be/1orMJVHmATE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice example of front running by Vinny Mulvey back in 2006 (robbed from FB).....cool video.

https://youtu.be/1orMJVHmATE

Beating a young Mark Christie well & I believe I seen ultrapercy finishing in the top 6-7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

tang1 wrote: »
    Beating a young Mark Christie well & I believe I seen ultrapercy finishing in the top 6-7.

Quality video !

Any news on the course?

Still sitting firmly on the fence!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Any news on the course?

Still sitting firmly on the fence!

Same as last year, I think.

davedanon wrote: »
    Same as last year, I think.

Ah, assumed that alright. A fast course, no doubt, but I do miss the traditional course. Hopefully it will be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

but I do miss the traditional course. Hopefully it will be back next year.

Its a Good Bye to the old course for good I'm afraid. With the changes to the coast road, it is no longer wide enough to accommodate a closed lane for runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Eep! the days before chip timing! I don't envy them hand-timing those numbers! We do it for the Raheny race series and the odd time I've done it it's been v nerve-wracking, even with under 50 runners.

MisterDrak wrote:
    Its a Good Bye to the old course for good I'm afraid. With the changes to the coast road, it is no longer wide enough to accommodate a closed lane for runners.

That's a shame.

I would prefer a short lap of park over the out and back section, which takes away from the fantastic race it is. Still has one of the best finishes of any race in the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

The AXA Raheny 5 Kicks off with FOUR Juvenile races before the main event.
    1:50pm – Boys 5 – 7 years old – 400 Metres
    2pm – Girls 5 – 7 years old – 400 Metres
    2:15pm – Boys & Girls 8 – 12 years old – 800 Metres
    2:30pm – Boys & Girls 13 – 16 years old – 1 Mile
    Entry Fee is €5 taken on the day only! in the Cara Hall near the race start from 12.30pm
    Prizes for Top 3 in each race
    All participants receive a medal and goody bag.

See the way they give out medals and goody bags to everyone? How do they know how many to get?

I'd have presumed medals would be more expensive to buy (for the organisers) than T-Shirts, but kinda presumed that if they only gave medals to those who signed up in advance, they'd probably get away with just ordering the exact number (or rounding up to the nearest hundred).

But for stuff like the above (multiple runs where you can sign up on the day) does it not mean there are a lot of left over medals that will be binned? (or there'll be too much demand, and so people will get them all in the rungs before the 5mile itself, meaning that many who run the 'full' race will be left out)?

I know it's not directly related to this exact race and is a bit of a general question, but after reading HelenAnne's post above it made me wonder. These kind of events (running in general) seem like they'd be a pain in the hole to organise?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Medals are cheap.
    I presume the medals will not have a date, so they'll buy a shed load and give them out again next year.
    For the adult race, they don't give medals, they have a little plaque that does include the year. But they have a very good idea how many of these they will need.

• Advertisement

Actually now that you mention it, a medal i got recently doesnt have dates on it (still a newbie to running, so only have one medal so far). However, the lanyard part of it (the cloth going around your neck) is personalised with the event date on it.

I quite like getting medals to be honest. I know most people probably bin them after the race, and if you're regularly running marathons, a 5k probably is more of a minor annoyance than an achievement, but I think it's great to have something to show for doing an event.

I'd rather a medal over a t-shirt to be honest (though that said, the Trim 10mile thread that's on here has a picture of their t-shirt and I almost wish I could run the 10miles just for the t-shirt itself, it's really nice in my opinion) but regardless I think it's great that you get these kinda things from the events (even though they'd probably be cheaper to enter without these things).

People have said you get a goodie bag from this event? What does that contain? (I've only done three 'organised' races so far. One didn't give anything, one gave a medal and one gave a shirt).

Advertisement