Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 Mile 29th Jan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

The goodie bag includes around ten pounds of family packs of chocolate bars, and a bottle of water.

Sounds deliciously nutritious and healthy, so!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

People have said you get a goodie bag from this event? What does that contain? (I've only done three 'organised' races so far. One didn't give anything, one gave a medal and one gave a shirt).

Think diabetic coma. Think Scott of the Antarctic: the unfortunate Captain Oates would still have uttered "I am just going out and may be gone some time" but in terms of the 'certain death' (by chocolate) one faces, in a 'blizzard' of protein powders.

The goodie bag is usually exceedingly generous. However, given that Largo Foods bought Tayto and closed Coolock, and that Cadburys have less discretion in terms of local distribution policies, I think in recent years there's been a move towards more sponsored content, e.g. energy bars, gels, protein mixes and so forth. However, there's usually enough sugar-based treats to run a marathon. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    Medals are cheap.
    I presume the medals will not have a date, so they'll buy a shed load and give them out again next year.
    For the adult race, they don't give medals, they have a little plaque that does include the year. But they have a very good idea how many of these they will need.

Didn't give out plaques last year, which was great.

Goody bags are amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Goody bags are amazing

I have a plaque from last year, it was in the goodie bags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Goody bags are amazing

There were plaques last year. We were a few short, and anyone who didn't get one and wanted one could ask to have it posted out (I'm like you though - the fewer plaques and medals I have gathering dust the better, so I'd be happy not to get one).

If anyone doesn't get one this year feel free to search me out and you can have mine :)

In answer to the poster above who asked about goody bags / t shirts - the bag will have loads and loads of food and snacks and a commemorative plaque with the race name and date on it.

Kids all get finishers' medals, and the first three boys and girls in each category get winners' plaques.

There are also loads of spot prizes at the prize giving afterwards.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    There were plaques last year. We were a few short, and anyone who didn't get one and wanted one could ask to have it posted out (I'm like you though - the fewer plaques and medals I have gathering dust the better, so I'd be happy not to get one).

If anyone doesn't get one this year feel free to search me out and you can have mine :)

In answer to the poster above who asked about goody bags / t shirts - the bag will have loads and loads of food and snacks and a commemorative plaque with the race name and date on it.

Kids all get finishers' medals, and the first three boys and girls in each category get winners' plaques.

There are also loads of spot prizes at the prize giving afterwards.

Fair enough, i just thought they invested more in the goody bag :), so I was happy.
    Anyone looking for a plaque this year can contact me also, but let me know before I run, as if its in the goody bag, i will just hand it back for someone else.

Well personally speaking I'm happy to collect up as much 'crap' as i can in terms of medals, plaques, t-shirts, race numbers etc. so that when I go back to being an obese slob next year, I can look back and think "those were the days". :D

But I'll be running this with a friend who's new to running. We'll both want a goodie bag (well, the plaque anyway.. not so fussed about chocolate or perishables) but my time and their time will be a good bit apart.

Assuming I finish a good bit ahead of them (I will), would they give me 2 bags/plaques to give to the other person when they finish (incase they've run out by the time the other crosses the line, as I know the little pieces from each race mean a lot to her).

I did a race last year and I stole an extra medal, but gave it back when I realised they still had some when they came across the line, so I'm just being a selfish prick and thinking along those lines. :)

Well personally speaking I'm happy to collect up as much 'crap' as i can in terms of medals, plaques, t-shirts, race numbers etc. so that when I go back to being an obese slob next year, I can look back and think "those were the days". :D

But I'll be running this with a friend who's new to running. We'll both want a goodie bag (well, the plaque anyway.. not so fussed about chocolate or perishables) but my time and their time will be a good bit apart.

Assuming I finish a good bit ahead of them (I will), would they give me 2 bags/plaques to give to the other person when they finish (incase they've run out by the time the other crosses the line, as I know the little pieces from each race mean a lot to her).

I did a race last year and I stole an extra medal, but gave it back when I realised they still had some when they came across the line, so I'm just being a selfish prick and thinking along those lines. :)

Don't worry, there will be enough bags and plaques for everyone! We always pack more bags than are needed. I know I said we were short a few plaques last year, but I mean literally 5 or something, and those people got them afterwards. There will be enough this year.

I really wouldn't ask for an extra bag at the finish -- the volunteers aren't meant to hand out more than one bag, they're mainly juniors handing out the bags and trying to move thousands of people through a narrow area. It puts them under pressure asking them for something they're not supposed to give out. And it would be nicer for your friend to get her own bag and plaque handed to her after finishing!

I hope you both have a great race and that you love your plaques!

Helen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

There's a bloke in our club. He's only little, but he's got this cheeky chappie thing going. always blags at least one extra goodie bag, sometimes more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Helen, are there on the day entries? Assuming no?

No! Think it's up to the day before? All info on www.rahenyshamrock.ie in case I've got that wrong! 3,500 signed up so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I ran my first Irish Runner paced miles this evening and came in at 8:30. I ran it comfortably enough but then again it was only the one mile. An online plan I'm using predicts 51 mins but my initial target was 45mins. Is this 8:30mile a good sign? I definitely think I will finish the race now quicker than 51 anyway. What do more experienced folk think?

http://www.myrunresults.com/events/axa_raheny_5mile_road_race/1884/details

Late entries in person in the AXA Raheny offices on the Saturday (28th).

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I ran my first Irish Runner paced miles this evening and came in at 8:30. I ran it comfortably enough but then again it was only the one mile. An online plan I'm using predicts 51 mins but my initial target was 45mins. Is this 8:30mile a good sign? I definitely think I will finish the race now quicker than 51 anyway. What do more experienced folk think?

If you were really comfortable running that 8.30 mile, you'd probably be able to hold 9-min pace for 5-miles. My fastest pace for 5-miles is 45 secs per mile slower than my best ever mile, but I was KILLING myself for that mile, so yours might be closer together. I can honestly say I've never felt comfortable running a mile - find that distance so tough! :-)

Why not start off at a pace above 9 min miles and ease into it, and once you get out of the initial crush and a mile or two in, try to speed up to 9-min pace?

Hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

HelenAnne wrote: »
    3,500 signed up so far!

That's going to be tight running on All Saints Avenue (first 1/2 mile).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

MisterDrak wrote: »
    That's going to be tight running on All Saints Avenue (first 1/2 mile).

Seems like a lot of entries with over a week to go. Will the entries close at any point? That's almost 1000 more than last year already.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Hello Everyone,

Many thanks for the questions and queries on the 2017 AXA Raheny 5.

Just to answer some specific points;

The entries for the 2017 AXA Raheny 5 are still open.

We have not reached 3,500 entries, however we would hope to see that number this year and we believe through the trend of entries to be broadly inline with that figure.

Entries are open via www.rahenyshamrock.ie and will remain open until midnight on Saturday January 28th.

You can also enter at the AXA Insurance Office in Raheny village.

The AXA Insurance Office in Raheny village will open on Saturday January 28th for entries and race number collection.

Race number will be posted to those who requested them on their entries in the next few days.

If you have any questions or queries regarding the 2017 AXA Raheny 5, please do not hesitate to contact us via the channels below.

Many thanks

Dave Hooper
    PRO
    Raheny Shamrock A.C

www.rahenyshamrock.ie
    e: info @ rahenyshamrock.ie
    twitter: @axaraheny5
    facebook: @axaraheny5

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

AXA Raheny 5 wins best short race for 2016 from running in Ireland.ie. Race director Pat Hooper responds and talks about this years race.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Hi - can you pick up your race number on the Sunday? Don't see any mention of it on the website. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Hi - can you pick up your race number on the Sunday? Don't see any mention of it on the website. Thanks

Yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Driving to Raheny on Sunday, good idea or very bad idea? :)

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Driving to Raheny on Sunday, good idea or very bad idea? :)

Go early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

Is the bag drop area safe?
    Last year I had someone with me but this year I'll be on my own so will have to leave my bag in.

ooter wrote: »
    Last year I had someone with me but this year I'll be on my own so will have to leave my bag in.

Never had a problem before.

Always just left the bag in the hall

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Last time I was there, it was an astro pitch, so fenced off on all sides, only one way in or out, and you couldn't go in yourself just gave a bag with your number on it to someone at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Paddy1234 wrote: »

You can pick up numbers at Raheny National School Hall on All Saints Drive from 11am Sun.

Folks, could anyone with 2 mins to spare just reassure me i've got this right (not familiar with the place).

School to collect numbers is here:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B022'43.2%22N+6%C2%B010'38.9%22W/@53.3786692,-6.1782566,246m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.378668!4d-6.177457

Start line is here:

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B022'31.7%22N+6%C2%B010'44.6%22W/@53.3754793,-6.1806192,476m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.375477!4d-6.17907

I'm not fully sure I have either 100% correct (would be ideal having coordinates as it makes getting there a lot easier).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah here. How did anyone get to a race in the 80s? :rolleyes:

Advertisement