Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 Mile 29th Jan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Folks, could anyone with 2 mins to spare just reassure me i've got this right (not familiar with the place).

School to collect numbers is here:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B022'43.2%22N+6%C2%B010'38.9%22W/@53.3786692,-6.1782566,246m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.378668!4d-6.177457

Start line is here:

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B022'31.7%22N+6%C2%B010'44.6%22W/@53.3754793,-6.1806192,476m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.375477!4d-6.17907

You're correct in both instances. The start line's not that close to the corner, but you're

I'm not fully sure I have either 100% correct (would be ideal having coordinates as it makes getting there a lot easier).

You're correct in both instances. The start line's not that near to the corner, but you're close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah here. How did anyone get to a race in the 80s? :rolleyes:

They ran, uphill in the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

RayCun wrote: »
    They ran, uphill in the snow!

Barefoot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Hi,

The National School for number collection is https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Nai-Scoil+Ide+-+Raheny/@53.3766666,-6.1933151,15z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sraheny+national+school!3m4!1s0x0:0xda993ff30e930a20!8m2!3d53.3783046!4d-6.1772507

The race starts 5 minutes up the road in All Saints Park here;
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B022'36.1%22N+6%C2%B010'45.2%22W/@53.3767746,-6.1767877,17.04z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.376684!4d-6.17923

There will be sign posts in and around Raheny Villlage.

thanks
    Dave

Folks, could anyone with 2 mins to spare just reassure me i've got this right (not familiar with the place).

School to collect numbers is here:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B022'43.2%22N+6%C2%B010'38.9%22W/@53.3786692,-6.1782566,246m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.378668!4d-6.177457

Start line is here:

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B022'31.7%22N+6%C2%B010'44.6%22W/@53.3754793,-6.1806192,476m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.375477!4d-6.17907

I'm not fully sure I have either 100% correct (would be ideal having coordinates as it makes getting there a lot easier).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Looks about right (though the startline isnt that far down that road), once you are in the right general area just follow everyone else!

• Advertisement

Well the problem i was facing was a lot to do with 'Raheny National School' brings about 5 schools up in a search on Google Maps. When you're not sure which is which, it's always best to ask :)

Murph D wrote:
    Ah here. How did anyone get to a race in the 80s?

Perhaps a generational thing, but I wouldn't be able to find my way to the bottom of my garden without a sat-nav :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Well the problem i was facing was a lot to do with 'Raheny National School' brings about 5 schools up in a search on Google Maps. When you're not sure which is which, it's always best to ask :)

Perhaps a generational thing, but I wouldn't be able to find my way to the bottom of my garden without a sat-nav :o

Of course you're right to ask! And Google Maps are not always that accurate so you're right to check. Good luck on Sunday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

As far as I know, there is no 'Raheny National School'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

SUNDAY ... After an early morning frost and rising temperatures towards dawn, expect some rain at times in a milder southwest wind, lows 0-3 C and highs 8-11 C.

Sounds grand for the day !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

So looking forward to this, really excited about it. Had some bad pain in my calf last Saturday so decided to stay off it, which was a bummer as I really wanted to get a few runs in this week.
    Pain wasn't really easing up all week and I was being advised to cancel which was a horrible thought.

Did a lot of roller work on it last night and some stretching and it feels perfect today, wahoo. Gonna get a light run in tonight, volunteer at parkrun tomorrow then roll on Sunday.

Best of luck everyone.

• Advertisement

Race Day Instructions

Available here;

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?p=1112

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

davedanon wrote: »
    As far as I know, there is no 'Raheny National School'.

Quite correct. The old schoolhouse [very old schoolhouse] on Station Rd (beside the DART station) did have that title, but for the past half century its successor entities have operated on a confessional basis. Some (though certainly not all) Church of Ireland would've attended Springdale National School. Most (though certainly not all) from a Catholic background would've attended the Scoil Íde/Scoil Áine/Scoil Assam school for boys and girls, which is the location of race registration if looking for GPS or sat-nav coordinates.

On their own site they refer to it as Raheny National School so that's what I was calling it too. I've never been to Raheny. I need to drive so I hope I get parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    On their own site they refer to it as Raheny National School so that's what I was calling it too. I've never been to Raheny. I need to drive so I hope I get parking.

Aim for the village and you be grand. It's my plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Look for Raheny Garda Station, race HQ is the school directly across from that.

Hello Everyone,

Please see an event day map for the 2017 AXA Raheny 5 via google maps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eLAVrG-jaYt_8k5s1wPR6KmBYIE&usp=sharing

If you have any questions please feel free to contact

e-mail - info @ rahenyshamrock.ie
    Twitter - @axaraheny5
    Facebook - @axaraheny5

I hope you have a good day.

Thanks
    Dave
    Raheny Shamrock

P.S. I will not be monitoring boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck to everyone running this. Doesn't look too bad at the moment.

Good luck to everyone running this. Doesn't look too bad at the moment.

Am here at the moment deciding whether or not to run. I don't usually fare well in the days following a run in the rain. I know it isn't lashing but it's not drizzle either. Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Bananaleaf wrote:
    Am here at the moment deciding whether or not to run. I don't usually fare well in the days following a run in the rain. I know it isn't lashing but it's not drizzle either. Frustrating.

You cannot control the weather. Just run hard and enjoy!

You will very rarely get near perfect conditions on this little island. Rain but very little wind.

Best of luck to all!

You cannot control the weather. Just run hard and enjoy!

You will very rarely get near perfect conditions on this little island. Rain but very little wind.

Best of luck to all!

Was looking for someone to tell me to man up, thank you. Will be done in under the hour anyway so can't do too much damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Bananaleaf wrote:
    Was looking for someone to tell me to man up, thank you. Will be done in under the hour anyway so can't do too much damage.

Have a good one. We have all been there, trust me! You will all the better for running, it is a cracking race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

30 sec improvement on last year, happy with that, must be doing something right. :)

That was incredibly enjoyable, so much fun. I'll be feasting on this goody bag for a week!!

Next year I think I'll start a little further up though, felt I lost a couple of mins weaving for the first mile, still happy with a 39:10 though.

My first ever race, the first of many, what an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Lazare wrote: »
    That was incredibly enjoyable, so much fun. I'll be feasting on this goody bag for a week!!

Next year I think I'll start a little further up though, felt I lost a couple of mins weaving for the first mile, still happy with a 39:10 though.

My first ever race, the first of many, what an experience.

You picked a great one! Superb event as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

I will definitely be doing this next year! looks like a great event!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah the start was a mess, some bit of an attempt at getting people to line up by standard would have been great One lad started in the 4th rom with a backpack and tracksuit on!

That aside, lovely race, lovely day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

Heard a steward actively encouraging people to "run on the footpath."
    Minor gripe but it is a road race, a girl beside me nearly got wiped out by a bloke twice her size because he decided to cut across the bend and run on the footpath having listened to said steward.

This was a really emotional day for me today.

My wife and I lost our little baby this time last year, she died just days before she was due. We're not 100% sure but I think today is her anniversary.

Her name is Sybil (Sybie) and she was a little sister to our two year old.

I took up running last year and I ran to help me deal with losing her. I was in some pain this week and was advised not to run, I could feel my calf burning from the moment we started but as soon as we turned up Sybil Hill I felt like I was gliding. Seeing the Little Sisters building then made me weep.

Sorry, I just felt I needed to share.

Thank you to everyone involved for making this such a beautiful day for me.

Have a good one. We have all been there, trust me! You will all the better for running, it is a cracking race.

Well, thank you again for your words earlier on. I wanted to complete this race in 45mins. Still waiting for official time but expect it to be over 45 but under 46mins somewhere so I am thrilled. Just hopping into a hot bath now and will take some uniflu and vitc before bed and more vitc tomorrow just in case.

Rain stopped about 5mins into race I think so I was fine in the end except my feet were drenched.

The amount of people who ran into one of the pubs for black sacks to wear was hilarious! :pac:

Thank you to the people of Raheny for being so cool about us all parking in your housing estates :):)
    Lazare wrote: »
    This was a really emotional day for me today.

My wife and I lost our little baby this time last year, she died just days before she was due. We're not 100% sure but I think today is her anniversary.

Her name is Sybil (Sybie) and she was a little sister to our two year old.

I took up running last year and I ran to help me deal with losing her. I was in some pain this week and was advised not to run, I could feel my calf burning from the moment we started but as soon as we turned up Sybil Hill I felt like I was gliding. Seeing the Little Sisters building then made me weep.

Sorry, I just felt I needed to share.

Thank you to everyone involved for making this such a beautiful day for me.

Thank you for sharing your story and I'm sorry for your loss. You managed an amazing time and I can only imagine how emotional you were at the end. Sybil was cheering you on today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Good race, did it in 33:11, 1:30 faster than last year. 11 secs slower than my pb so good start.

Think the crowds are too big for the course, maybe waves needed.

Goody bag weight a ton so will check it out soon.

Advertisement