Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 Mile 29th Jan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Was talking to a guy from Raheny afterwards, there were about 3500 in the race today, just massive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dub13 wrote: »

Might be just me but I can't see any results other than the wheelchair race and the team results ? I'll try with a different browzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Lazare wrote: »
    That was incredibly enjoyable, so much fun. I'll be feasting on this goody bag for a week!!

Next year I think I'll start a little further up though, felt I lost a couple of mins weaving for the first mile, still happy with a 39:10 though.

My first ever race, the first of many, what an experience.

39:14 to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah how do you see the individual results? When I go to the page, I have to select 3 options before I filter.
    First the race: Wheelchair/Run/Walk
    Then the age group.
    And then finally a selection between Male Teams, Female Teams, Over 40 Male Teams, or Over 40 Female Teams.

It's mandatory to pick one of those in the last ones so all I can see is teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not fully up. Website giving tables errors.
    Can't understand why so long

RayCun wrote: »
    Was talking to a guy from Raheny afterwards, there were about 3500 in the race today, just massive.

Yeah the guy on the microphone said 3800.
    Considering the weather etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yeah it was verrrrry busy at the beginning. I wouldn't have made up a huge amount of ground had it been more of a staggered start but I probably would have gotten sub 45min. I struggle with being assertive enough to jump out around people because it seems dangerous - also were parts of the course where space just didn't allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah the guy on the microphone said 3800.
    Considering the weather etc

3800 entries and about 300 no shows, which is a low percentage

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Not fully up. Website giving tables errors.
    Can't understand why so long

working properly now (for me at least)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Just hopping into a hot bath now and will take some uniflu and vitc before bed and more vitc tomorrow just in case.

Rain stopped about 5mins into race I think so I was fine in the end except my feet were drenched

Off topic I know but you do know you don't get colds and flu from being out in the rain?
    You are far more likely to pick up a virus from being in a warm humid building with other people.
    Getting out in 'non ideal' conditions is often more rewarding.
    Well done on your race and not letting the 'voices' win.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I'm putting loads of photos up here, they're mostly of the start so far, but there should be more going up tonight and tomorrow:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/albums/72157678199707310

Maybe it's because I'm not an experienced high-octane runner, or that I take these events perhaps less seriously in terms of my time (although I do consider my time important to me, I don't mind if I'm behind a slower person or starting at the back or have to slow to let people move around etc.) so I thought the crowded start was a bit of craic :)

I'm a naturally shy person, so I didn't really talk to anyone (must work on that) but everyone seemed in good spirits and having everyone huddled in together seemed good.

I did start very much at the back (a conscious decision, as i'd rather overtake the 10 people that are slower than me, than get in the way of the 1000 people that are faster than me) but I didn't find it too frustrating being stuck behind people. What I would suggest is a general etiquette is announced regularly at the start, that if you're gonna go from all-out, ball busting jogging, to a dead stop/zombie walk, that you move over to the edge of the road on either side. That was the one thing that i did find mildly annoying (people just coming to a dead stop slap bang in the middle of the road and everyone behind them swerving either side to get around).

That said, it's a trivial thing and certainly didnt take any joy out of the race for me.

I liked the course. Thought the atmosphere was good. Goodie bag was very nice but the only thumbs down I can give is that the two others i was with (one finished before me, one after me) got a packet of East Coast Bakehouse biscuits in their goodie bag and I didn't! Needless to say I was, and remain, distraught, and shall be considering my legal options tomorrow when Solicitors are back to work. (sarcasm of course... although i did want my own biscuits!! :P )

But definitely a 10/10 for me on the organisation end of things. There was a Garda directing traffic at the school when we were going in to get the numbers. She pointed me to SuperValu as a place to park (we arrived around 1:20ish to ensure parking and such) so the parking was handy (though that said, the car park was practically empty when we arrived, and not a single space left about 10 minutes later, so a lot of luck, there).

On my own end of things, I got a time of 48:19, which is bang on what I was hoping for (well, the minute time is, i wasn't particularly hoping for the 19 seconds :P ). I'm also very pleased with my little plaque. Although I know most of ye couldn't care about it, I am definitely a happy camper with it :D

Race_Plaque.jpg

I also like the 'Person Details' page that I accidentally somehow managed to end up on when looking for my time on the MyRunResults website:

Raceresult.png

Lots of handy info. Is that there for every race (I presume so, but I just never seen it before, so figured I'd ask)?

I'll definitely be signing up for this again next year. Made for a great little day out and I'm thrilled with how I got on in it. Never ran 8k and I can see why this race is so popular. Also enjoyed the Boards.ie element of it (reading people's comments on here). :)

Lots of handy info. Is that there for every race (I presume so, but I just never seen it before, so figured I'd ask)?

I'll definitely be signing up for this again next year. Made for a great little day out and I'm thrilled with how I got on in it. Never ran 8k and I can see why this race is so popular. Also enjoyed the Boards.ie element of it (reading people's comments on here). :)

Your post is so cute! You obviously had a brilliant time. Delighted for you I was actually wondering how you got on after your posts beforehand.

I've never seen that detailed info before at any other race except the DCM. Have never done DCM but have followed friends on the live feed on the day where they tell you at what time they passed certain milestones

Am I the only one who (at the risk of sounding ungrateful) thinks that the goody bag is shocking? I think it's really bad to be handing out that much chocolate and sweets at a run. I know I don't have to eat it but that isn't my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Am I the only one who (at the risk of sounding ungrateful) thinks that the goody bag is shocking? I think it's really bad to be handing out that much chocolate and sweets at a run. I know I don't have to eat it but that isn't my point.

I'll have your goody bag if you don't want it:D Its better than any medal or t-shirt and the bag is legendary!!

Great race despite the foul weather and cold. Raheny do a great job as always. Saw a few folks from on here (mostly former posters) along the way up and down the avenue.

I'ld love if they could sort out the start and get people to start in the right area. The amount of people I passed in the first mile was crazy and I was about 15-20 rows back.

Your post is so cute! You obviously had a brilliant time. Delighted for you I was actually wondering how you got on after your posts beforehand.

Ah yeah, I am generally fairly appreciative of the fact that people bother to organise these events in the first place, so I'm a happy camper to even be able to sign up and get a bit o' fitness in. Today was the 4th event I'd ever participated in, and one of the bigger ones, so was a great experience.

I actually loved that they were so thoughtful with the goodie bag and I think it's brilliant that they do it, but I do see your point. I'm trying to drop a few pound (well, a few stone!) myself, and being handed a big bag of chocolate after the race is definitely bitter-sweet.

I would happily have settled for a single bar of chocolate on its own (as we just went to SuperValu afterwards and got some Tea and had it with a bar of chocolate in the car - figured we'd just be sitting in traffic if we left straight away).

The amount does seem excessive, but at the same time, it does seem to be a talking point and noticed by people, so I'd say they'll keep it and make it a 'thing' that you associate with the race. "The 5mile? Is that the one with the goodie bag?".

One thing I did find odd was that, despite being an Axa event, they seemed to have feck all promotion at it. The bag doesn't have Axa written on it, nor does it even have an Axa leaflet promoting any of their stuff. Other than the banner at the start there seems to be feck all Axa mentioned anywhere. Feels like it's more of a Nestle or Cadbury race as per the goodie bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'll have your goody bag if you don't want it:D Its better than any medal or t-shirt and the bag is legendary!!

Great race despite the foul weather and cold. Raheny do a great job as always. Saw a few folks from on here (mostly former posters) along the way up and down the avenue.

I'ld love if they could sort out the start and get people to start in the right area. The amount of people I passed in the first mile was crazy and I was about 15-20 rows back.

Yes indeed, my fifth in a row, and I'd like to think I'll be back for many more, provided I'm fit and healthy enough.

This is a massive problem for so many races, not just this one. Even as a slow(er) runner it drives me nuts. I can only imagine what the "real" runners think.

Yes indeed, my fifth in a row, and I'd like to think I'll be back for many more, provided I'm fit and healthy enough.

This is a massive problem for so many races, not just this one. Even as a slow(er) runner it drives me nuts. I can only imagine what the "real" runners think.

To be honest, I think a lot of it should be self-policed.

People should have a bit of an idea what time they reckon they can do the distance in, and position themselves accordingly. (ie; i was practically at the back, even though I was initially about 1/3 of the way to the front, i took a look around me, realised everyone looked like a seasoned runner, and made the decision that I was perhaps in the wrong place for my time).

I dunno why anyone that's gonna take 80 mins to run it feels they should be in the 3rd row (not that I'm knocking slower joggers, sure Im one of them myself, but i just think a small bit of general common sense is required). :o

Nah I'm not complaining really and it is super generous. But I could really do without the temptation!! :) OH is really making a dent in it though so if I wait long enough it will be eaten for me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Second time running this race, last year just coming back from injury so was much slower. Looked for a 45 minutes run and got home in 44.54 which was a result.

It was the same at the start as last year, always very packed until around mile two, (which cost me 24 seconds per mile) but then clears out.

Maybe a wave start would be good but I'm sure they are restricted by the Gardai with road closures so that's probably not going to happen.

As per usual a very well organised race and the goody bag never fails to impress, Diabetic Coma here i come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Fantastic race, been struggling with my fitness since Christmas and was 100% sure I wouldn't be able to get near the 34.59 I got in last year's IR 5 mile, but things picked up last week and on Friday I ran a hard fast 4 milea, still reckoned I was off slightly but went for it today and got 33.12, absolutely delighted! A great event I'll be back to every year health permitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Not sure how many of you met her but I have to give a big shout out to the lady on the crutches at the bag drop area, hobbling about in the rain gathering up people's stuff and keeping it safe.

The running community is such a beautiful thing, such altruism I've never before witnessed, be it spectating at DCM last year or every single Saturday at parkrun, it's people like her, and you that make days like this magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

2nd road race, broke my 40 min target with a PB. Great organisation, great race & will be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

The amount does seem excessive, but at the same time, it does seem to be a talking point and noticed by people, so I'd say they'll keep it and make it a 'thing' that you associate with the race. "The 5mile? Is that the one with the goodie bag?".

One thing I did find odd was that, despite being an Axa event, they seemed to have feck all promotion at it. The bag doesn't have Axa written on it, nor does it even have an Axa leaflet promoting any of their stuff. Other than the banner at the start there seems to be feck all Axa mentioned anywhere. Feels like it's more of a Nestle or Cadbury race as per the goodie bag.

Trying not to run foul of sponsors, advertising etc but on the AXA thing, former Olympian and Raheny Shamrock man Pat Hooper is the local branch manager. It'd be impossible for them to not have a race sponsorship role, though it is kept understated enough, e.g. collection of race numbers at the local office there on a Saturday and a few other supports that are not in-your-face.

In terms of publicity etc, funnily enough this year there was no 'few words at the start' from the Lord Mayor. Was it my imagination? Or was I just too far back in the crowd this year to hear anything? I strained a calf muscle 8 weeks ago, and so this is my first race attempt in over 2 months, with the result that I was back in a group of people who chatted away or who turned up the volume of their headsets to drown out the people who were nattering away.

I was quite oblivious to the race start, but in the past I'd been up with the angry mob, dashing for the sharp 90 degree bend to get decent positioning. This time I got to just cross the line and not bother with the weaving etc. Loved the race, but it was only this time I became conscious of how much is on concrete roads rather than tarmac, e.g. most of the first mile, a lot of the third mile (e.g. when your turn off Sybil Hill onto Mount Prospect), and about half of the 5th mile. Still though it's a hugely enjoyable event: fantastic team of volunteers, good crowd support, large-scale race event so 'big race' atmosphere too. Goodie bag to feed a polar expedition. Overall one of my favourites. Will be back next year, fitter, stronger (and hopefully 1 stone lighter).

I didn't realise that about the Axa branch manager to be honest with you. Still think it's mad that they must be spending something on the event, that they don't automatically have a leaflet, at least, in the goodie bag (don't get me wrong, I can think of no Axa services i require, so I wouldn't benefit from one, but I wouldn't begrudge them sticking one in there, either).

Just on the Mayor thing, I didn't hear anything either as the audio was also drowned out where i was (down the back) but I did see a 171-D-1 parked at the school (I think that's mayor's reg) and I am pretty confident that as I was moving to the start line (as the race started) the mayor walked down the path on his own on the right side of the road (that's assuming it was him - chains around the neck make me think it cant have been anyone else! :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

chinguetti wrote: »
    Great race despite the foul weather and cold.

It really wasn't that bad, give me that weather over wind any day of the week.

ooter wrote: »
    It really wasn't that bad, give me that weather over wind any day of the week.

The rain had eased off by the time the race started, but the roads were full of puddles. Still drying out my runners, but enjoyed the race.

Won't do a 5 mile race now till May, Dunshaughlin, its a faster course and smaller crowd and will have more races and speed work behind me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Weather was fine, friendly marshals, nice atmosphere, strange goody bag...who needs that much chocy?

I have to say, I was very frustrated for most of the race. I started towards the back and found it so hard to pass, and not just for the first mile or two....only eased up for the last 500m or so. At the 4mile marker just after the U turn in the park it was still rammed. Sure why not limit it to 5,000 next year?

I understand it's like this with a lot of races so I'll just be smarter next time and make my way nearer the start line. Took me 3 minutes to cross the start line yesterday. I enjoyed the day, just a bit frustrated...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Whyner wrote: »
    Took me 3 minutes to cross the start line yesterday. I enjoyed the day, just a bit frustrated...

I was still warming up on the opposite side of the little park 5 mins before the start, made my way round to the start and managed to get fairly close to the front, took me 20 secs to cross the start line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Didnt have a great race, finished about 2 minutes slower than my PB so came in around 39.30. All my own fault. Arrived very late, started at the back.

Good organisation and great goodie bag, the plaque is so retro 80s school sports day!

Wasnt mad about the part in the park, not a fan of running against other people but I believe that isnt normally the route?

Will be back next year though, I've a score to settle with my time

Advertisement