Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA S510 Extra Fac v AA S410 Extra Fac ?

Options
  • 06-11-2016 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me what difference there is, if any, between the above mentioned air rifles? I understand the old 410 had a bolt instead of a side lever and also I think a non shrouded barrel. The newer upgraded 410 looks the same as the s510 to me. There is a price difference so what is the physical difference if any?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

you can adjust the power on the 510 i dont know if you can do it on the newer 410, but you cannot on the
    older models also as you said the 510 has a side lever the 410 a bolt. before the 510 came out you could
    get the 410 with power adjuster and side lever in extra fac but only on order. i got one which i still have.
    i had to wait about 6 months for it. my mate bought a 510 when they came out and we checked both guns
    and we cannot find any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I had an s410 Xtra FAC for years up until a few weeks ago and my one was a very recent model. As far as I could see, there was no difference between the two. Absolutely brilliant rifles, very accurate. Mine was adjustable too but I never bothered with it as every time you adjust, you have to rezero and start all over again. Plus without a chrono, you are guessing what power you have as its not indexed.

If I was you and both were on offer, go for the one that is easiest on your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭TombstoneT

skipking wrote: »
    you can adjust the power on the 510 i dont know if you can do it on the newer 410, but you cannot on the
    older models also as you said the 510 has a side lever the 410 a bolt. before the 510 came out you could
    get the 410 with power adjuster and side lever in extra fac but only on order. i got one which i still have.
    i had to wait about 6 months for it. my mate bought a 510 when they came out and we checked both guns
    and we cannot find any difference.

Hi Skipking,
    From what you say, it seems like Air Arms made the s410 "special order" commonly available and renamed it the s510. Did you by any chance compare shot count with your mate and if so , what count did you both get?
    Thanks so far,
    TT.

Hi Amadablam,
    Thanks for the info.You presume there is no difference between the two.Did you also have a s510? Can I ask why you sold the s410? Just curious and wondering if there is something better out there.I agree with you with regard to buying the easier on the pocket one but equally I wouldn't mind spending a little bit more for extra shot count if it (s510) has that maybe.
    Thanks for your help so far,
    TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

TombstoneT wrote: »
    Hi Amadablam,
    Thanks for the info.You presume there is no difference between the two.Did you also have a s510? Can I ask why you sold the s410? Just curious and wondering if there is something better out there.I agree with you with regard to buying the easier on the pocket one but equally I wouldn't mind spending a little bit more for extra shot count if it (s510) has that maybe.
    Thanks for your help so far,
    TT.

Hi TT

I've shot both of them and you probably will find few people who would upgrade the 410xtra to the 510xtra as there is no discernable difference so the chances of finding someone who has or had both is probably slim. Don't get me wrong I'm not making any presumptions, just observations, it's just I could not see any difference in them and from speaking to people with more knowledge, there doesn't seem to be much / if any difference. I completely talking about the xtra model and the adjustable version of each. I vaguely remember seeing a bolt version of the 510.

Honestly, considering neither are regulated, there won't be any significant shot count change unless the air reservoirs are slightly different. You could always regulate one if you wanted to do it yourself. That and adding a depinger are two good mods.

Shooting a high power air rifle and wanting a high shot count is always going to be a compromise but ask yourself how many shots you will realistically fire when hunting? Also how far away is your tank going to be?

Personally I have never ran out of air on a day out.

Why did I change, I honestly can't really answer that as I was extremely happy with the rifle. I guess it's like when you change your car to a different manufacturer when you were happy with the one you had.

One area I could see that would be a practical improvement, would be to index the power adjuster but I am guessing this would also mean regulating the rifle.

Other than that, I loved that rifle. Extremely accurate and fun to use. The shrouded barrel doesn't really need a moderator as it's pretty long unless you can get a carbine order in. They are simple to service as well and doesn't require a trip to the rfd when you want to service it. Unless you want to that is.

Currently shooting a Daystate Airwolf in 22, but I haven't had enough time to use it for an honest comparison. But there are a lot of differences between them as the Airwolf is a very technical rifle with a lot of electronics going on and it wouldn't be a direct comparison as they are very different rifles and in completely different price brackets.

I still miss that S410Xtra though!

• Advertisement

tombstone t. the shot count on both guns are the same.

Hi Amadablam,
    I much appreciate your help in answering my questions.I do not have any access to either of the rifles locally so I am depending a lot on your info/opinions and others.Actually another rifle I was considering is the Brocock Compatto Fac in .22. I'm not 100% sure which choice I'll make yet.The Compatto is nice and compact which I like. What is swaying me towards the 410 or 510 is the idea that I can buy an aftermarket compact stock and trigger mechanism from Blackpool Air Rifles. Expensive I know,but the best of both worlds,(I think).I rang them recently and they said they could post directly to my home.What would you think of that?

Best Regards TT.

Hi Skipking,
    Much appreciated.

Regards TT.

i was also looking at the compatto but the magazine is behind the trigger so in ireland it is classed as a
    restricted firearm. you will have to apply for a restricted license and have a good reason why you want one.

Hi Skipking,
    Thanks for that. It's something to think about.Oh the misery of it all.Back to the drawing board for a while I think.
    Best Regards,
    TT.

• Advertisement

Hi Skipking,
    Thanks for that. It's something to think about.Oh the misery of it all.Back to the drawing board for a while I think.
    Best Regards,
    TT.

Advertisement