Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any non cloud based wifi doorbells?

• 06-11-2016 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking at ring.com and skybell and the one thing that I don't like about these gadgets is that they are tied to a cloud based service and you may get charged a monthly fee to get the most out of them.

Anything out there that you can record to local storage and port forward so you can view the camera remotely?

Actually, in the broader sense, is anyone using any of these type things? Are they as useful as I'd like them to be so I have an excuse to open the wallet?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm happy with the ring is something like 25 euro a year , good value for this type of service
    Have a look at this

http://www.yitechnology.com/homecamera/yut_2/id/9.html

It might have a Dropbox link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers Stoner,

The lure of the new gadget is hard to resist.
    R.

Roen wrote:
    The lure of the new gadget is hard to resist. R.

Yeah I believe the Google nest camera is 10 euro a month ,
    Note though that when the lure kicks in !!Thats 3 dollars per device so if you add a couple of ring cameras it's 9 dollars a month. I think Google camera is 10 dollars for all your cameras on the same IP.

Another thing you'll need decent WiFi strength
    So on my place I've a front door and a porch door a regular router might struggle
    I've a trend long range router that does the job.
    I've a Google onhub that is great too. Neither are cheap.

I'm still on my Ring's 1 months trial and I'm going to buy 12 months worth after that.

Finally Ring are signed up to the IFTTT group so you can trigger it to do a few tricks.

Eg

If the Ring door bell is pressed make the Philips hue lights flicker

If the Ring door bell is pressed turn on my
    lightwaverf security light
    Or
    wemo socket
    Or
    Philips hue lights
    Or
    log it on a Google spreadsheet
    Or
    edit Text /// not sure about this but it will email you

You are getting one now aren't you !!

Finally with the ring one. You can't go into the app and look at the camper view
    There has to be movement detected or the bell pressed

But for 150 pounds it's a serious bit of kit HD camera , cool led, night vision, motion detection etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote:

We have it. !!!
    Admins are just waiting to hear back from one mod.
    I've the charter made , the others will need to approve it. I copied TCP/IPs ones from here as it simple and fun.
    I've the Philips hue thread moved there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers Stoner and gang,

I have a Home Assistant install in the gaff at the mo. I have Philips Hue, security cams, temp sensor, lux sensor and a couple of other bits tied into it.
    Be nice if I could get a potential door bell stream into that too. Having an app for everything is a pain in the hole.

I think with Skybell you can get video on demand, I was surprised to hear you couldn't fire up the camera on the Ring.

WiFi wise it'll be as strong as anyone's, I think it's an Asus rt ac68u running DD-WRT. It's the upload pipe from the house is the issue (joys of country living).

I have the HA install exposed to certain IPs so I can access it from work etc.

I'm not keen on IFTTT, I'd prefer to homebrew my own automation via HA.

Still though, cool factor and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Did you guys buy the device off ring.com? The site seems to be in dollars and I'm worried about getting hit with import duty and VAT. Is there another supplier I should use?

I think I covered that on a post that I moved to the home Automation forum (here)

I rang them for support . I didn't want to get stuck by customs either I think the sales man would have covered me for it

When I used the ring site I was offered a pay by Amazon option this would have sorted things for me as

Turns out the sales guy didn't even see the Amazon option until I showed him. It was only available on the mobile browser

Unfortunately it didn't work I was going for the pro. But I ended up buying it from Amazon. Sales man told me that the pro is not being pushed in the UK (eventually I called him a Canadian) as its voltage is 16-24V mostly here we use 12V but the pro has no battery and produced 1080p so it needs more diddy.

BTW you can change the traffo to 16 V very easily

Maybe the Amazon link works now it would be great as I found a promotion code for 20 bucks off, would have covered the ring chime

• Advertisement

Roen wrote:
    I think with Skybell you can get video on demand, I was surprised to hear you couldn't fire up the camera on the Ring.

That's an issue alright I'd say it's because its works of crappy bell wire and, so the battery is trickle charged and it's gets is juice from the battery.

Plus it runs for months on one charge. But it's motion detection is about the same as its range. So if there is something in the vicinity it will kick in and you'll see it ,

Quantum physics!! It doesn't exist until it's observed lol.

The skybell looks great too. But is it not twice the price.
    I've four cameras on my house and I haven't looked at them 6 months the only time I'd dis look at them was showing them off.

On this live view is enabled on both ring cameras.

On mine I can turn it on launched from the phone works very well

Advertisement