Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

RainyDay wrote: »
    Far more motorists and far more pedestrians are killed and maimed on the road than cyclists. I really don't understand this fetish for 'cycle safety' from those who profess to be interested in road safety. If you care about road safety, the obvious priority is to get motorists to stop killing and maiming each other.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29878233
    Starting with distance travelled, a cyclist travelling a mile in Great Britain is 15 times more likely to have a fatal accident than a car driver going the same distance.
    Based on the time spent travelling, a cyclist is five times more likely to have a fatal accident than a car driver.

Now perhaps you might understand the 'fetish' as you put it. Distance or time has to be taken into account along with the number of journeys by each mode.

Cycling is less safe than driving - simple. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

railer201 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29878233

Now perhaps you might understand the 'fetish' as you put it. Distance or time has to be taken into account along with the number of journeys by each mode.

Cycling is less safe than driving - simple. ;)

According to an earlier poster cyclists pose a hazard on the road, and it's thanks to the diligence of drivers that many more aren't killed. Which is a pretty weird assertion to make. And given the similarities we have with the UK in terms of driving style and aggression, you might have different sets of statistics from some continental European countries where motorists don't seem to get their knickers in a twist over cyclists on the road.

Also from the link above:

"Rural roads have much higher average speeds than urban roads and the extra speed leads to worse accidents for cyclists."

I wonder what's the main factor in these accidents for cyclists - those cycling weaving all over the road and being hit by cars, or motorised vehicles hitting cyclists that are either passing too close, at excessive speeds and not accounting for the prevailing road conditions or otherwise distracted while driving?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    According to an earlier poster cyclists pose a hazard on the road, and it's thanks to the diligence of drivers that many more aren't killed. Which is a pretty weird assertion to make.
    The assertion was a downright stupid one!
    It is like saying how thankfully due to the responsible attitude of rapists more women aren't raped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The majority of cyclists, from what I've personally seen on the roads on a daily basis, consistently pose a hazard to themselves as well as to other cyclists, motorists and pedestrians.

ISIS are a terrorist organisation who are responsible for the deaths of many innocent people ......... but that's a separate issue and has no bearing on the cyclist issue.

Drug dealers are responsible for spreading death in many communities .......... but that's a separate issue and has no bearing on the cyclist issue.

Drink driving is a selfish act that has caused many a tragedy on our roads ............ but that's a separate issue and has no bearing on the cyclist issue.

Dole scammers are annoying and have caused tax-payers to be financially squeezed even further than they already are .......... but that's a separate issue and has no bearing on the cyclist issue.

And so on ...........

..I've not followed this thread in a few days. Has it really managed to get dole scammers, drug dealers, drink drivers and -ISIS- into complaints about cyclists? I don't know whether to O.O or to nod wisely and say aloud "Yep, that's AH".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Well this chap needs to sit his C1 again......seen this tonight.

Tried a u-turn only to get stuck then tries to reverse out of it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

1. Motorist blocked the yellow box at the end of my estate this morning. I flashed and honked, and he gave me a look. I pointed to the yellow box, the traffic started to move, and he just stayed put still staring at me. I gestured for him to move, which he did do in the end. All this with two kids in the car, one being in the front. A great example to be setting them!

2. As I am merging on to the M50 south from the N7 on ramp, I wanted to get across to the inside lane. The taxi that had been behind me before we entered the slip decided to just put the foot down on the merge and get ahead of me before I even had time to merge.

3. Up at the Ballymount slip, a van decided to drive right up to the hatch markings and bully his way in. Nothing unusual there.

4. There are two lanes on the slip to head towards Ballymount, and another two to either go straight back on to the M50, or the other lane to go right over the Ballymount flyover. An island separates both sets of lanes. A car in the left of the two right lanes decided he was in the wrong place, and proceeded to reverse down the slip and then come over our side to head towards Ballymount. A left hand drive car with Irish plates.

All of the above occurred along my very short commute this morning. The reversing down the slip is something I've seen in videos, but a first for me to actually witness for myself.

I don't know what annoyed me more out of the four incidents. I do have a serious pet hate for queue jumpers. Thankfully, the rest seem less rare. Well, for me anyway. It's all rush rush and arrogance with a lot of people now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    According to an earlier poster cyclists pose a hazard on the road, and it's thanks to the diligence of drivers that many more aren't killed. Which is a pretty weird assertion to make. And given the similarities we have with the UK in terms of driving style and aggression, you might have different sets of statistics from some continental European countries where motorists don't seem to get their knickers in a twist over cyclists on the road.

Also from the link above:

"Rural roads have much higher average speeds than urban roads and the extra speed leads to worse accidents for cyclists."

I wonder what's the main factor in these accidents for cyclists - those cycling weaving all over the road and being hit by cars, or motorised vehicles hitting cyclists that are either passing too close, at excessive speeds and not accounting for the prevailing road conditions or otherwise distracted while driving?

It's Motorists fault, they're to blame for everything cyclists do wrong!

The standard cyclist response to any form of valid criticism ........... which, ironically, has already been pointed out to you on this very thread! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Eejits that flash their lights at me after I've overtaken them! WTF is that about?

If you don't want to be overtaken then don't be doin' 40 - 45mph! It's not me that's doing wrong! :mad: Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

MadDog76 wrote:
    The standard cyclist response to any form of valid criticism ........... which, ironically, has already been pointed out to you on this very thread!

Is that your default post on this topic or when are you going to start reading the posts your replying to and actually start responding to the points made. The silliness of that standard post has been pointed out numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

MadDog76 wrote:
    The standard cyclist response to any form of valid criticism ........... which, ironically, has already been pointed out to you on this very thread!

Is that your default post on this topic or when are you going to start reading the posts your replying to and actually start responding to the points made. The silliness of that standard post has been pointed out numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

Drivers deliberately driving over a stop line at traffic lights. The stop line is there to ensure a car is over the sensors embedded in the road just before the stop line. If the car is not stopped on on top of the sensors, then it takes longer for the signals to change, delaying everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SixSixSix

Veloce150 wrote: »
    delaying everyone.
    Do you mean the cars behind them - who are above the induction loops?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

gammygils wrote: »
    Eejits that flash their lights at me after I've overtaken them! WTF is that about?

If you don't want to be overtaken then don't be doin' 40 - 45mph! It's not me that's doing wrong! :mad: Jesus!

I can relate to the this, it seems that overtaking on a single carriageway is frowned upon even when the manoeuvre is completely safe and legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

xabi wrote:
    I can relate to the this, it seems that overtaking on a single carriageway is frowned upon even when the manoeuvre is completely safe and legal.

I don't think people have a problem with the overtaking but some dipsticks drive up your arse for ages before they overtake and that's what's annoying so they get blasted with lights because of that imo.

Colser wrote: »
    I don't think people have a problem with the overtaking but some dipsticks drive up your arse for ages before they overtake and that's what's annoying so they get blasted with lights because of that imo.

Well, I've been flashed numerous times overtaking on single carriageway without driving up anyone's arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

xabi wrote: »
    Well, I've been flashed numerous times overtaking on single carriageway without driving up anyone's arse.

It's usually BMW drivers who do it.

Flash or overtake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

SixSixSix wrote: »
    Do you mean the cars behind them - who are above the induction loops?:rolleyes:
    He may well mean the cyclists who are unable to get into the bike box, the place that puts them in the safest position to make sure they get seen by motorists.
    Trebor176 wrote: »
    1. Motorist blocked the yellow box at the end of my estate this morning. I flashed and honked, and he gave me a look. I pointed to the yellow box, the traffic started to move, and he just stayed put still staring at me. I gestured for him to move, which he did do in the end. All this with two kids in the car, one being in the front. A great example to be setting them!
    You gotta love the ones who get stuck in the yellow box, and then when you beep or say anything to them, they point to the car in front and throw their hands/eyes up to heaven like it is entirely the fault of the guy in front for stopping - they couldn't possibly have predicted that this situation was very likely to arise, now could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

And audi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Drivers deliberately driving over a stop line at traffic lights. The stop line is there to ensure a car is over the sensors embedded in the road just before the stop line. If the car is not stopped on on top of the sensors, then it takes longer for the signals to change, delaying everyone.

You just have to pass over the sensors, not stop on them.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    You just have to pass over the sensors, not stop on them.

So the sensors that change the lights are designed NOT to work if you obey the law and stop before the stop line?

So the sensors that change the lights are designed NOT to work if you obey the law and stop before the stop line?

They will still work even if you stop over the white line.

I am not condoning stopping over the white line, btw. It annoys me too when people do it.

xabi wrote: »
    Flash or overtake?

Drive up your arse....drive inconsiderately In general.

Got stuck behind someone who had a car with no indicators today for a few miles....we passed through 4 roundabouts together.....gob****e

pablo128 wrote: »
    They will still work even if you stop over the white line.

I am not condoning stopping over the white line, btw. It annoys me too when people do it.

I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting that they don't work UNLESS you pass over the white line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

the sensors are latching so once triggered the demand stays till the trafffic signals go green, still the stop line is there for a reason and shouldn't be crossed till moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Deedsie wrote: »
    Car owners who don't take the dealership stickers and the dealership surround around the registration off their cars. Have you no pride in your property?

How the hell is that an issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Deedsie wrote: »
    Car owners who don't take the dealership stickers and the dealership surround around the registration off their cars. Have you no pride in your property?

Drivers who speed through residential and urban areas. It's 50 Km/h for a reason, have a small bit of consideration for other people.

Drivers who are unable to stop before the white line at a set of traffic lights etc

Drivers who park on cycle lanes forcing them onto the road.

Drivers who blame everything on cyclists.

Cyclists who break red lights and don't have lights on their bikes.

I'd like to add: Drivers who completely park on the whole footpath near a busy road, by right residents around there should lift the car onto its side.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

When I passed my test back in France, I remember the instructors stressing the importance of clearing intersections swiftly. Here in rural Ireland it drives me mad the amount of people who, on a main road, will indicate, slow to a crawl (on the main road), then steer cautiously round at a car park pace, practically forcing me to stop for their manoeuvre, or to swerve-overtake if traffic and location allow.
    Of course I understand when they're turning into a tricky drive way or a tight bohreen, that's the ones doing that for perfectly wide and easy turns that annoy me.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting that they don't work UNLESS you pass over the white line?

Will you give over. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

People not sharing the road. If you're the type to get angry at other people's mistakes, you shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I don't know if it's just that I have become more aware of my mortality as I've gotten older :) or if the standard of driving on Irish roads has gotten ridiculously bad in the past 3 years or so.

I wasn't sure if I was making a bigger deal of this than was necessary so what I have been doing for the past two weeks is recording any incident that I witnessed which had the potential to be a serious accident.

Literally EVERY day that I was out in the car there was something:

2 young lads came over a bridge into oncoming traffic at such speed that the car came off the road one of the days. It was in the town I live in and it is a tough junction as from where I am stationed I can't see over the bridge so have to take caution. When I couldn't see headlights approaching I knew I would have time to get across (no traffic lights) but didn't (and couldn't as I would be there all day) account for the bats out of hell that came flying up towards me. At that exact same moment I was being blasted from behind by an impatient a$$hole who wanted me to just get on with it.

Not accident causing but one of the days I went to get petrol and drove into the garage. Was a car ahead of me. I got out, filled up car, went in to pay. A car had come in behind me and was waiting to use the pump. Paid, returned to car. Car in front of me still there, but I had been the only person in the petrol station. Went back in to ask about the car - guy inside didn't have a clue who it belonged to. They obvioulsy just parked it up and fcuked off.

Small country town I live in - maybe it's normal in small country towns?? - EVERYONE parks on the road, on double yellow lines, on the paths, in disabled parking spaces. One man stopped ON the main road to go to the chipper. Had a trailer on the back too.

I get so angry about that kind of thing!!!! But seriously, I seem to witness something mental pretty much every day. I'm not looking forward to paying a higher price for my insurance when renewal time comes but, from what I'm seeing on the roads, claims HAVE to be increasing.

Also - some cyclists are dícks, definitely - as are some runners - but as a runner and a cyclist I have had to stop my route because I've nearly been (at best) hospitalised twice. Motorists are the worst of all. The worst. And I say that as a motorist myself, not as a runner or a cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I don't know if it's just that I have become more aware of my mortality as I've gotten older :) or if the standard of driving on Irish roads has gotten ridiculously bad in the past 3 years or so.

I wasn't sure if I was making a bigger deal of this than was necessary so what I have been doing for the past two weeks is recording any incident that I witnessed which had the potential to be a serious accident.

Literally EVERY day that I was out in the car there was something:

2 young lads came over a bridge into oncoming traffic at such speed that the car came off the road one of the days. It was in the town I live in and it is a tough junction as from where I am stationed I can't see over the bridge so have to take caution. When I couldn't see headlights approaching I knew I would have time to get across (no traffic lights) but didn't (and couldn't as I would be there all day) account for the bats out of hell that came flying up towards me. At that exact same moment I was being blasted from behind by an impatient a$$hole who wanted me to just get on with it.

Not accident causing but one of the days I went to get petrol and drove into the garage. Was a car ahead of me. I got out, filled up car, went in to pay. A car had come in behind me and was waiting to use the pump. Paid, returned to car. Car in front of me still there, but I had been the only person in the petrol station. Went back in to ask about the car - guy inside didn't have a clue who it belonged to. They obvioulsy just parked it up and fcuked off.

Small country town I live in - maybe it's normal in small country towns?? - EVERYONE parks on the road, on double yellow lines, on the paths, in disabled parking spaces. One man stopped ON the main road to go to the chipper. Had a trailer on the back too.

I get so angry about that kind of thing!!!! But seriously, I seem to witness something mental pretty much every day. I'm not looking forward to paying a higher price for my insurance when renewal time comes but, from what I'm seeing on the roads, claims HAVE to be increasing.

Also - some cyclists are dícks, definitely - as are some runners - but as a runner and a cyclist I have had to stop my route because I've nearly been (at best) hospitalised twice. Motorists are the worst of all. The worst. And I say that as a motorist myself, not as a runner or a cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

On the way back from Ballina to Dublin, I was sailing merrily along the M4 at 120-140 km/h, I noticed traffic slowing up ahead so I eased up on the throttle, I moved into the outside lane to anticipate overtaking the slower vehicles ... and lo, I came upon a car travelling in da fasht lane at no more than 50 km/h !! Needless to say I undertook the car, it was a woman in her early twenties ... not like an old person or anything .. no excuse for such dangerous behaviour.

When I was on the M1, the cars on front of me began slowing inexplicably, so, again, I moved into the outside lane to overtake, and saw a car merging at no more than 40 / 50 km/h.

And finally, a car travelling in the pitch black with NO headlights ... not even parking or DLRs.

I would feel infinitely safer if these dangerous drivers were removed from our roads. I would be more comfortable sharing roads with someone doing 160 km/h who was actually aware of his or her surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

dfeo wrote: »
    On the way back from Ballina to Dublin, I was sailing merrily along the M4 at 120-140 km/h
    Let's add to the list : people who think it's ok to break speed limits because they're better than other drivers & anyway 'its a revenue generating scam'.

• Advertisement

Let's add to the list : people who think it's ok to break speed limits because they're better than other drivers & anyway 'its a revenue generating scam'.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The people who merge at a speed significantly below the rest of the motorway are more of a danger IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

people that cut across your lane at junctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Was thinking about this today- I have a little car, and even with the car in 5th gear and the accelerator pressed firmly against the floor, I cannot get up to speed fast enough that someone behind me who is speeding, even a good distance away, would not have to slow down if I'm merging. With the best will in the world I'm going to have to merge at a speed below the motorway one way or another. It's not 50 but it's not fast either.

Spare a thought for those of us with cars that simply cannot get up to speed as fast.

Latatian wrote: »
    Was thinking about this today- I have a little car, and even with the car in 5th gear and the accelerator pressed firmly against the floor, I cannot get up to speed fast enough that someone behind me who is speeding, even a good distance away, would not have to slow down if I'm merging. With the best will in the world I'm going to have to merge at a speed below the motorway one way or another. It's not 50 but it's not fast either.

Spare a thought for those of us with cars that simply cannot get up to speed as fast.

Stay in 4th a bit longer to get your speed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That's because 5th gear generally doesn't offer much in the way of acceleration. You need to accelerate through the first 4 gears.

Having been forced to drive one for a week last year, I can tell you that even a 12 year old, 998cc Micra can speed up fast enough to merge correctly.

Well you're doing it wrong then. If you want to accelerate quickly up to speed entering a motorway, you need to use a lower gear than 5th. Let the engine rev out in 2nd and 3rd, and aim to enter the motorway in 4th gear.

My missus has a 10 year old 1 litre Yaris and it has absolutely no problem getting up to speed joining a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Sorry, I misspoke- I am going up through the gears until it is overrevving in each gear. But if someone's doing well over the speed limit there's only a limited amount of time and distance you have to try and match that. It's not so much about merging correctly- if people are doing the speed limit I've no problem- it's about merging when people are speeding.

"Below the motorway"= "Below that of yerman who is already on the motorway, and is speeding." You get clusters of people speeding as well so it can get difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

On the N4 today, van coming up from behind blinding everyone with headlights as he had a load in the back and obviously doesn't know what the headlight adjustment is for! Cars flashed as he passed and trucks flashed on the far side.....completely oblivious

Also on the N4 Dublin bound a woman is a 2010 Bmw M sport doing 80kmph in the right lane, flashed by everyone and again oblivious to what she was doing, forced everyone to pass her on the left lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When someone replaces a headlight bulb but puts it in upside down, so the beam is shining up at you as opposed to down on the road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When someone replaces a headlight bulb but puts it in upside down, so the beam is shining up at you as opposed to down on the road.

Have you ever actually replaced a bulb?
    The problem you're referring to is alignment. Bulbs generally only go in one way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

People who drive around with a blown headlamp and can't be bothered changing it. I do a lot of driving in rural Ireland and this drives me mad. I don't know what the law is on this but they should give penalty points to people who don't get their lights fixed. I don't think they should be given out on the spot because a bulb can blow at any time. But if someone was pulled up, they should be told to report to a Gardai station within x number of days or they will get points. Of course this is all ****e talk because we all know there are feck all Gardai on the roads and even fewer stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

kbannon wrote: »
    The problem you're referring to is alignment. Bulbs generally only go in one way!

Bulbs can be put in arseways, a lot of them are, mainly because it's impossible to see what you are doing as regards getting the bulb seated correctly in the headlamp. Majority of dip beam bulbs are H7 and the little locator tab is usually pointing North when sitting correctly in the headlamp. After replacing the bulb you should be able to look in through the lens and see that the bulb is pointing out at 180 degrees to the ground otherwise it's in the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

kbannon wrote: »

I have indeed, mainly on Toyotas & BMW's, there is only 1 way for the bulb to go in correctly, but that doesn't mean it can't be put in arseways, and held in place by severely bending the retaining spring, all coupled with a try it out there micko, it's working, yep, grand job attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

dfeo wrote: »
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:eek: The seven rolleyes smiley retort!?

I thought that was outlawed by boards.ie years ago?

• Advertisement
Advertisement