Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

It's like you're born one or the other and must defend it above all else, until your untimely death on the road :D

Maternity hospitals now have the choice of a lycra onesie or furry-dice for your new-born.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Maternity hospitals now have the choice of a lycra onesie or furry-dice for your new-born.

Perhaps there's also a market for two-wheel prams. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

railer201 wrote: »
    Perhaps there's also a market for two-wheel prams. :D

Git out of here with your 2 wheels! We were born entitled to 4 and an internal combustion engine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Seriously. Stop fooling yourself. You're impeding one of your primary senses when you wear headphones. Whether car drivers are more impaired or not doesn't matter. You're the one on the bike. Again, wear your headphones if you want, but don't pretend it doesn't impede your senses.

You also have an incorrect understanding of noise-cancelling headphones. They cancel out continuous, repetitive noise. They don't cancel out "one-shot" noises such as talking, beeps, shouts, etc.

I didn't say that. :confused:

How do you feel about drivers listening to their stereos, and what are your experiences of cycling while listening to music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Seriously. Stop fooling yourself. You're impeding one of your primary senses when you wear headphones...

So how do you feel about deaf cyclists, motorcyclists, drivers and pedestrians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally, I feel that the headphone/earphone debate isn't really about the effect they may have on you hearing noises around you, it's more about the "immersive" aspect of their use. We've all seen the morons walking along Grafton St. with their earphones in, totally oblivious to all around them, and that isn't down to not being able to hear properly. Of course when you shout at them to "B****y watch where you're going!" they don't hear you, but that's not the cause of their random wanderings across the footpath.

It's the same discussion that goes around (and around) regarding mobile phone usage versus talking to a passenger. They aren't the same thing at all, and that goes not only for handheld phone use, but also using bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I didn't say that. :confused:

How do you feel about drivers listening to their stereos, and what are your experiences of cycling while listening to music?

Sorry, maybe I misread the intent of your statement about the noise-cancelling headphones.

Once again, drivers are probably more impeded but it matters less to them. Worry more about yourself on the bike.

I've done the cycling with headphones in in my younger days but then I coped on. I also still occasionally cycle with one headphone in. I cycle to and from work every day.

Are you honestly telling me that you're as aware of your surroundings with headphones in as you are with them out?
    GrumpyMe wrote: »
    So how do you feel about deaf cyclists, motorcyclists, drivers and pedestrians?

Clearly they shouldn't be allowed leave the house.......

Because a disability is clearly the same thing as someone wearing headphones. Nice comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I wear furry Lycra.
    I don't know what that makes me but I look fabulous.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

So this has turned into a motorist V cyclist debate. Lovely. And we have checked off the usual list of foibles. Although I must admit, the headphone debate has had more legs than it normally does.

Please turn this thread back into a discussion on Road Issues rather than focusing on the age old debate. I'm pretty sure that we are not going to resolve that one on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Hear hear....

Irritations -

When you leave a reasonable gap to the car in front on a motorway and some numpty inevitably slots into it - usually by cutting it too close and not indicating. Then they slow down.

In fact anyone who overtakes you then slows down to a speed slower than you were originally travelling at... Why overtake in the first place????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Another thing that irritates me is oncoming drivers who give subtle finger gestures (instead of flashing) for you to complete a maneuver. Maybe you're waiting to turn at a junctjon across the face of oncoming traffic, you wait for a 'flash' to give you clearance, but no headlight flash appears (but maybe the subtelest hint) of a raised finger on the steering wheel? They slow down, you slow down will they won't they?

It annoys me intensely because the signal is not at all clear. So do I take a chance and turn, or will they give a definitive 'Flash' to let me turn.... I wait, I wonder, I may even dither, can I go? No flash happens, so I gingerly turn ...

One quick flash of the headlights is a crystal clear sign that one can turn, but a slightly raised finger behind a reflective windscreen is just too subtle and too 'iffy' to rely on.

I was goin to say please flash and don't finger, but that might come over the wrong way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I hate it when one person scoots across the road as they see a car coming but know they can make it across before them, but then the two or three people also waiting to cross hesitate for two or three seconds and then decide to cross when it's much too late, forcing the car to stop.
    Or simply when one person crosses the road and the herd follow without looking.

One very specific thing that bugs me is people getting off the bus (from Oranmore I think) before 9AM in Eyre Square in Galway and crossing the road en masse at a really dangerous turn. Cars and bikes coming from Merchants' Road would have to brake pretty sharply to avoid hitting them all. They've recently added traffic lights at that corner to reduce the danger, but no-one seems to bother walking the extra 15 metres to press the button, and instead all blunder across to Kennedy Park as they've always done. So needlessly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

People not securing loads properly:
    In the last two weeks I've been hit by a small piece of rebar off the back of a trailer and nearly hit by a bag of rubbish flying if the top of a skip truck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Inconsiderate parking really annoys me. Some people are so ignorant in the way they'll park just to save themselves having to walk a few extra paces.

A lot of these ignoramuses look like they could use a bit of exercise too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

People not securing loads properly:
    In the last two weeks I've been hit by a small piece of rebar off the back of a trailer and nearly hit by a bag of rubbish flying if the top of a skip truck.

This annoys the hell out of me too. In the past I've had near misses with scaffolding poles and a bath. Yup, it's a bit of a surreal situation sitting in traffic and having a bath come flying off a trailer towards you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Tailgating.

Idiots on the M50 who drive up to the top of their exit queue and then stop with their indicator on, blocking the whole lane.

Drivers who think the outside lane of a motorway is a 'fast lane' and flash and beep at anyone who dares to get in their way by using it for its correct purpose of overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Loose chippings as a road repair.

Idiots tearing along through loose chippings destroying the windscreens of oncoming traffic.

(Thankfully haven't seen too much of this the last few years.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Treadhead wrote: »
    Hear hear....

Irritations -

When you leave a reasonable gap to the car in front on a motorway and some numpty inevitably slots into it - usually by cutting it too close and not indicating. Then they slow down.

In fact anyone who overtakes you then slows down to a speed slower than you were originally travelling at... Why overtake in the first place????

Perhaps they might be a psychopathic killer driving about in a monster truck. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SixSixSix

Clearly they shouldn't be allowed leave the house...
    Just checking - that was tongue in cheek?
    Because a disability is clearly the same thing as someone wearing headphones.
    No it not! It is completely different - what a silly thing to say!
    Nice comparison.
    What comparison would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

At Nutgrove Shopping Centre on Saturday, my fella and I were struggling to find a parking spot. Finally we happened upon someone pulling out. Just as we were about to drive into the spot, someone rolled into from the adjoining spot that they had just driven into from the other side. We drove around but someone else who had been waiting the other side got the spot the rolling car had driven over. We couldn't believe the driver did that! In a busy car park, take the spot you've been waiting for! He completely fucked that up for us. Aaarrrgggh! :mad:

I know this a parking issue rather than road one but it's related!

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Another thing that irritates me is oncoming drivers who give subtle finger gestures (instead of flashing) for you to complete a maneuver. Maybe you're waiting to turn at a junctjon across the face of oncoming traffic, you wait for a 'flash' to give you clearance, but no headlight flash appears (but maybe the subtelest hint) of a raised finger on the steering wheel? They slow down, you slow down will they won't they?

It annoys me intensely because the signal is not at all clear. So do I take a chance and turn, or will they give a definitive 'Flash' to let me turn.... I wait, I wonder, I may even dither, can I go? No flash happens, so I gingerly turn ...

One quick flash of the headlights is a crystal clear sign that one can turn, but a slightly raised finger behind a reflective windscreen is just too subtle and too 'iffy' to rely on.

You get irritated when someone else, most likely a complete stranger, doesn't make driving decision(s) for you? :eek:
    And when they don't you "take a chance and...gingerly turn"! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

SixSixSix wrote: »
    Just checking - that was tongue in cheek?

No it not! It is completely different - what a silly thing to say!

What comparison would that be?

The comparison between being deaf and wearing earphones ........... it wasn't Walnut making the comparison and the point of his post was how silly the comparison is ......... I think you completely misunderstood his post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    At Nutgrove Shopping Centre on Saturday, my fella and I were struggling to find a parking spot. Finally we happened upon someone pulling out. Just as we were about to drive into the spot, someone rolled into from the adjoining spot that they had just driven into from the other side. We drove around but someone else who had been waiting the other side got the spot the rolling car had driven over. We couldn't believe the driver did that! In a busy car park, take the spot you've been waiting for! He completely fucked that up for us. Aaarrrgggh! :mad:

Another car park one that drives me mad is people who don't use a bit of cop on when waiting for a space. If the person is obviously going to be a while unpacking a trolley and strapping kids into seats, and you can't stop and wait without causing a long tailback behind you, then just drive on.

I've seen eejits cause queues of traffic right back out onto the road while they sit for ages flashing their indicator as someone tries to unload twelve bags of shopping into the boot, strap in a wriggly toddler and bring the trolley back to a trolley bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

The only reason they did that is so they didn't have to reverse out very annoying when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

no-one seems to bother walking the extra 15 metres to press the button, and instead all blunder across to Kennedy Park as they've always done.
    At least they know the law.They're only obliged to use a pedestian crossing if it's less than 15 metres away.

On the same number, not many drivers care it's illegal to park within 15 metres of a junction. Worse still, I've seen some drivers park inside roundabouts, forcing other drivers to drive over the roundabout to get past.

Veloce150 wrote: »
    At least they know the law.They're only obliged to use a pedestian crossing if it's less than 15 metres away.

On the same number, not many drivers care it's illegal to park within 15 metres of a junction. Worse still, I've seen some drivers park inside roundabouts, forcing other drivers to drive over the roundabout to get past.

No parking within 5 metres of a junction according to RotR

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

true, the 15 metre rule applies near pedestrian crossings and traffic light junctions.

this also applies:
    '( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Etiquette and tradition dictate that you let the air out of their tyres after they've gone into the shops.

You get irritated when someone else, most likely a complete stranger, doesn't make driving decision(s) for you? :eek:
    And when they don't you "take a chance and...gingerly turn"! :eek:

You boy racers . . .:rolleyes:

You obviously haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    The only reason they did that is so they didn't have to reverse out very annoying when it happens.

It was such a selfish move on their part. In a busy car park, be happy with the space you get!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unless you're going to mass in which case the parking laws don't apply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

It was such a selfish move on their part. In a busy car park, be happy with the space you get!

I did a kind of opposite of that the other day.

Queue of traffic coming into the shopping centre, I was reversing into a spot and the person behind me drove out, there was noone over that side waiting for a space so I reversed all the way back to make room for the person waiting behind me. Good deed for the day.

People who don't move to the middle of road when turning right.

People who don't indicate around cyclists/runners etc.

People who don't indicate or can't keep in a lane on a roundabout.

People who don't follow the zipper rule when merging in traffic.

People who drive in the middle lane of the M50 when there's nothing for miles in the left hand lane.

People who block cycle lanes.

I hate you all. Equally. Middle lane drivers more equally though.

Ted111 wrote:
    Etiquette and tradition dictate that you let the air out of their tyres after they've gone into the shops.

I've often wondered about this.
    Is it illegal?
    You're not actually stealing anything other than air and you're not damaging anything.
    What would you be charged with if you were caught letting the air out of someone's tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    I've often wondered about this.
    Is it illegal?
    You're not actually stealing anything other than air and you're not damaging anything.
    What would you be charged with if you were caught letting the air out of someone's tyres?

From the irish statute.....

2.—(1) A person who without lawful excuse damages any property belonging to another intending to damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

One could probably argue that letting air out of tyres could subsequently cause damage if the driver drives the vehicle with flat tyres.

One could probably argue that letting air out of tyres could subsequently cause damage if the driver drives the vehicle with flat tyres.

Maybe.
    Wonder if you left a note on their windscreen explaining you've let the air out of their tyres would it address this.

• Advertisement

I did a kind of opposite of that the other day.

Queue of traffic coming into the shopping centre, I was reversing into a spot and the person behind me drove out, there was noone over that side waiting for a space so I reversed all the way back to make room for the person waiting behind me. Good deed for the day.

Ah yeah, that's grand, you knew nobody was waiting for the space you reversed into. And rolling into the adjoining spot is something lots of people do when the carpark isn't very full, easier for pulling out of. The guy who rolled into our spot couldn't see if anyone was waiting for it but it was one of those very busy times in a car park where each lane of the carpark had a car or three trying to get parked so it was safe for him to assume that someone was waiting for the spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Absolute eejits that decide to dart out last second while you're already half way/3 quarters of the way through your turn and don't even acknowledge they're in the wrong.

Also when people do the same but they have seen you and give you "the wave". Don't wave at me you tosser you nearly caused an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Another issue :P A few days ago, I was sailing along at about 180-200 km/h. Fast, yes, but nothing insane. I was driving down the inside lane, and move into the overtaking lane to overtake ... and as I was overtaking, suddenly a UK-Reg (so obviously a confused tourist) car pulls out on front of me and sits at 80-100 km/h ..morons. So, my issue is lack of mirrors, lane hogging and general idiocy.

This fella was probably a lost tourist confused on foreign roads, still no excuse for reckless behaviour.

dfeo wrote: »
    Another issue :P A few days ago, I was sailing along at about 180-200 km/h. Fast, yes, but nothing insane. I was driving down the inside lane, and move into the overtaking lane to overtake ... and as I was overtaking, suddenly a UK-Reg (so obviously a confused tourist) car pulls out on front of me and sits at 80-100 km/h ..morons. So, my issue is lack of mirrors, lane hogging and general idiocy.

This fella was probably a lost tourist confused on foreign roads, still no excuse for reckless behaviour.
    Your judgement is completely wrong here.
    180 to 200km/h in lane 2 is far too fast for a road where other users are doing 80km/h in lane 2 and/or lane 3!

kbannon wrote: »
    180 to 200km/h in lane 2 is far too fast for a road where other users are doing 80km/h in lane 2 and/or lane 3!

Say that to the other 2-300 people on the road at the time, I was over in Germany taking my uncle's new 5 series for a spin on the A13 between Berlin and Dresden. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

kbannon wrote: »

It was a "baiting post" Kbannon ......... you took the bait!!! :D

180-200 km/h down the inside lane = may I suggest that might be a tad too fast Sir.

....and as regards 'foreign UK tourists' the UK rules of the road are pretty much the same as the ones here in the ROI. I do agree with you re slow coaches hogging the overtaking lane/middle lane + morons who don't use their mirrors and/or don't indicate.

LordSutch wrote: »
    180-200 km/h down the inside lane = may I suggest that might be a tad too fast

....and as regards 'foreign UK tourists' the UK rules of the road are pretty much the same as the ones here in the ROI. I agree with you re slow coaches hogging the overtaking lane/middle lane + morons who don't use their mirrors and/or don't indicate.
    Say that to the other 2-300 people on the road at the time, I was over in Germany taking my uncle's new 5 series for a spin on the A13 between Berlin and Dresden. :P

Ah, you were on ze Autobahn doing 180-200 km/h.

Thats ok then :)

200 to 300 other people on the road? Across what kind of distance? 1km? 100km?
    Were these doing 80-100km/h or 180-200km/h?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    But seriously, I seem to witness something mental pretty much every day. .

Well today it finally happened. One driver took it too far and there was an almighty accident this morning. By the time I had approached the scene help was already at hand. It's awful that my very first thought was "The only thing that surprises me here is that it has taken this long for something like this to happen"

No injuries (I can't believe it from the damage done to the cars) Hopefully some attitudes towards speed and spacial awareness have changed though.

Small country road, regularly used by solo cyclists and cycling groups. If there had been a cyclist on that road this morning they would definitely be (at best) in a very bad way tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Ignorant bollixes who drive in a street lit area with full lights!

I walk the mutt now in the dark and I'm gonna need shades! Just because there's no cars coming doesn't mean you don't have to dim your lights.

And it's not like they can't see me, I'm wearing Hi-Vis. This is becoming more & more common. Totally fukkin annoying! This is Ignorant and Dangerous! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Anyone with a horse box. Jerks.

How the fuq are you supposed to move horses around? They won't fit in the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

How the fuq are you supposed to move horses around? They won't fit in the back seat.

On a roof rack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Does it not go on the horsepower of the car...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement