Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Lad in front of me stopping at the roundabout, when you can very clearly see that there's nothing coming, then he does it again. Will you go on ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Cyclists....... the vermin of the road iv scrubbed more valuable dog s%@t off my shoe... the old lad cycling to the shop or mass no problem they'll keep in or just get outa the way but the moron who watches too much Eurosport and thinks he/she own the road in full spandex taking the 5 year old kid out for a "spin" idiots.

So ya cyclists. Dopes that use fog lights at night even tho I'm clearly behind you and have been for miles.. front fogs and it's raining clearly an ignorant idiot.
    Round abouts but from Everything iv read hear over the years and every day I spend on the road there's a whole lota bluffers ere. Everyone can't clame to know how to use them and I can guarantee as soon as I come into the next one someone will use the wrong lane indicate the wrong way or just be a w@#<#r and cut me off.

Rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Lad in front of me stopping at the roundabout, when you can very clearly see that there's nothing coming, then he does it again. Will you go on ffs.

This I HATE this normally goes like this

coming up to a roundabout obviously nothing coming
    brake brake brake brake still nothing coming---STOP look both ways---- AGGGGGH hate these people

Also lane 2 or 3 on a motorway hoggers idiots if the cars behind you are traveling faster that you move out of the way you idiots
    I feel better now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Rave.ef wrote: »
    Cyclists....... the vermin of the road iv scrubbed more valuable dog s%@t off my shoe... the old lad cycling to the shop or mass no problem they'll keep in or just get outa the way but the moron who watches too much Eurosport and thinks he/she own the road in full spandex taking the 5 year old kid out for a "spin" idiots.

So ya cyclists. Dopes that use fog lights at night even tho I'm clearly behind you and have been for miles.. front fogs and it's raining clearly an ignorant idiot.
    Round abouts but from Everything iv read hear over the years and every day I spend on the road there's a whole lota bluffers ere. Everyone can't clame to know how to use them and I can guarantee as soon as I come into the next one someone will use the wrong lane indicate the wrong way or just be a w@#<#r and cut me off.

Rant over

You sound positively delightful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Rant over

poor kids

I like to think I am delightful:)

Kids don't stand a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Probably hoping you go into the back of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

lertsnim wrote: »
    Probably hoping you go into the back of him.

People don't just forget how to use a roundabout all of a sudden. I find if you come across one of these clowns, once you keep your distance, after a while they start driving properly again. Certain nationalities seem to do it more than others too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

How the fuq are you supposed to move horses around? They won't fit in the back seat.

It's sometimes the attitude of the horsebox driver. I was stuck behind a horsebox once for absolute miles and miles in Sligo. There were plenty of places to pull in safely, no problem. But not only did that idiot trundle on for absolute ever, he had a chaser vehicle behind him whose job it was to block anyone from overtaking. We're talking about more than 30 kilometers here. At a speed between 40 to 60 km/h. This was during the height of the boom where a lot of idiots suddenly discovered their love for horses. The same people who abandoned them later...
    On another occasion I overtook a horsebox on a country lane where the knobhead sped up to way over 100 km/h to block me. On another occasion, going from Gort to Ennis (on a wide section) again, the chase vehicle nearly rammed me off the road.
    Back then you could easily spot them. Brand new top of the range 4x4, brand new top of the range box and the horse surely wasn't just any horse, no idea about horse breeds, but it certainly wasn't some piebald.
    It's by no means every horse box, the people who have been doing this for a long time and know what they're doing are grand at this, but it was nouveau riche boomers with an "I'm more important than you" attitude that were an absolute nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

It's sometimes the attitude of the horsebox driver. I was stuck behind a horsebox once for absolute miles and miles in Sligo. There were plenty of places to pull in safely, no problem. But not only did that idiot trundle on for absolute ever, he had a chaser vehicle behind him whose job it was to block anyone from overtaking. We're talking about more than 30 kilometers here. At a speed between 40 to 60 km/h. This was during the height of the boom where a lot of idiots suddenly discovered their love for horses. The same people who abandoned them later...
    On another occasion I overtook a horsebox on a country lane where the knobhead sped up to way over 100 km/h to block me. On another occasion, going from Gort to Ennis (on a wide section) again, the chase vehicle nearly rammed me off the road.
    Back then you could easily spot them. Brand new top of the range 4x4, brand new top of the range box and the horse surely wasn't just any horse, no idea about horse breeds, but it certainly wasn't some piebald.
    It's by no means every horse box, the people who have been doing this for a long time and know what they're doing are grand at this, but it was nouveau riche boomers with an "I'm more important than you" attitude that were an absolute nightmare.

The height of the boom eh?
    Been carrying this grudge awhile chief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Can someone clarify this to me. A roundabout with 4 roads leading into it. Each exit and entry has two lanes, and the roundabout its self has two lanes around it. I'm at the 6pm position going to go left to the 9pm position, and therefore in the left lane. Someone is coming around the roundabout having got on from the 12 o clock position and is on the inside lane of the roundabout. Should they stay in this inside lane and then exit at 9 o clock in the right exit lane? And then because of this, can I enter the roundabout as they are passing me, stay in the outside lane of the roundabout and exit at 9 o clock in the left of the exit lane? I did this recently and someone blew the horn at me, I assumed they would stay in the right section, and then decide their lane after they have exited roundabout and are on the road heading away from 6 o clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

delaney001 wrote: »
    Can someone clarify this to me. A roundabout with 4 roads leading into it. Each exit and entry has two lanes, and the roundabout its self has two lanes around it. I'm at the 6pm position going to go left to the 9pm position, and therefore in the left lane. Someone is coming around the roundabout having got on from the 12 o clock position and is on the inside lane of the roundabout. Should they stay in this inside lane and then exit at 9 o clock in the right exit lane? And then because of this, can I enter the roundabout as they are passing me, stay in the outside lane of the roundabout and exit at 9 o clock in the left of the exit lane? I did this recently and someone blew the horn at me, I assumed they would stay in the right section, and then decide their lane after they have exited roundabout and are on the road heading away from 6 o clock.
    Some roundabouts are marked differently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

longshanks wrote: »
    The height of the boom eh?
    Been carrying this grudge awhile chief?

Nah, just regaling Boards with my tales of woe.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

delaney001 wrote: »
    Please God, no!
    Start a new threat if you wish to discuss how to use roundabouts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

People who don't know which lights to use (specially at this time of year).

Ohh, lets just turn them all on ... I wonder what that blue light on the dash means :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Rant over

Are you Alan Partridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

As a car driver, cyclists.

As a motorbike rider, cyclists.

As a bus driver, cyclists.

They are a menace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Veloce150 wrote: »
    Drivers deliberately driving over a stop line at traffic lights. The stop line is there to ensure a car is over the sensors embedded in the road just before the stop line. If the car is not stopped on on top of the sensors, then it takes longer for the signals to change, delaying everyone.

Something worse than that and indeed highly dangerous - drivers who speed up when they are being over-taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Oodoov wrote: »

They are a menace.

They're more of an annoyance than a menace really as it's reasonably rare their behaviour leads to any kind of accident or injury other than to themselves. I've fallen off my bike a few time but I've never endangered anyone else when doing so. To be fair I obey the rules of the road but I reckon the ones you're referring to are chronic red light jumpers, pavement cyclists, ninja cyclists or the like.

Are you Alan Partridge?

No but that clip was loosely based around me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Rant over

They are a menace.

This thread just promotes negative stereotypes, an "us V them" mentality which has existed far beyond its sell-by date. A complete lack of education and general cop on, nowhere to be seen. A complete failure of the RSA and government really.

Driving in Ireland is horrible, as long as people exist, there will be assholes on the road, in all types of transport.

The sooner the better you lot start judging people rather than what types of transport one has chosen. Your current method is dumb as shít.

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    They're more of an annoyance than a menace really as it's reasonably rare their behaviour leads to any kind of accident or injury other than to themselves. I've fallen off my bike a few time but I've never endangered anyone else when doing so. To be fair I obey the rules of the road but I reckon the ones you're referring to are chronic red light jumpers, pavement cyclists, ninja cyclists or the like.

Interchangeable with any other type of transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

my top 3 would be
    - indicator at roundabouts, would be nice to know where the person wants to go and if i need to stop or not.
    - people who are day dreaming at red lights, the light would be green for 10 whole seconds before they start to move, if your first at a set of lights, be feckin ready
    - tractors that don't pull in to let the string of traffic behind them by when they have many opportunities

This thread just promotes negative stereotypes, an "us V them" mentality which has existed far beyond its sell-by date. A complete lack of education and general cop on, nowhere to be seen. A complete failure of the RSA and government really.

Driving in Ireland is horrible, as long as people exist, there will be assholes on the road, in all types of transport.

The sooner the better you lot start judging people rather than what types of transport one has chosen. Your current method is dumb as shít.

I judge them by they're actions on the road I see every day. I know not all cyclists are the same but 98% of them are morons the road is a dangerous place I just don't understand the attitude of men/wemon who think they own the road and travel dangerous narrow winding roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I judge them by they're actions on the road I see every day. I know not all cyclists are the same but 98% of them are morons the road is a dangerous place I just don't understand the attitude of men/wemon who think they own the road and travel dangerous narrow winding roads.

It's not about owning the road, no one owns the road. It's about having consideration & respect for those using it. If you're in a car you have no priority over someone using another mode of transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

- people who are day dreaming at red lights, the light would be green for 10 whole seconds before they start to move, if your first at a set of lights, be feckin ready

This is a huge reason for traffic build up. If you're first in line at the lights then you should have your foot on the clutch and hand on the handbrake ready to go. A ten second delay at each traffic light change really builds up traffic especially in peak hours.

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    It's not about owning the road, no one owns the road. It's about having consideration & respect for those using it. If you're in a car you have no priority over someone using another mode of transport.

I could have probably worded that better but I totally agree whit you. It's not just cyclists cause problems cars can be just as bad some lorry and bus drivers too. Just pointing out what irritates me:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

People not being capable of adjusting their headlights properly. I've seen quite a lot SUV-drivers lately with headlight so bright because they were adjusted in such a high angle you could light whole Ballymun road with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

my top 3 would be
    - indicator at roundabouts, would be nice to know where the person wants to go and if i need to stop or not.

I wouldn't rely on that at all.
    You have to look at car to see if they are taking the turn or progressing.
    So many people signal incorrectly anyway... or just leave indicators on without knowing.

Never trust an indicator... believe me. It may save your life sometime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

People who overtake you on the motorway, pull back into the inside lane and immediately slow down to a speed slower than you're doing.
    You usually end up having to pull into the outside lane to overtake them.
    Usually they notice you overtaking when you've pulled alongside them, at which point they again increase their speed and start pulling away from you again.
    This process can occur a number of times.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I wouldn't rely on that at all.
    You have to look at car to see if they are taking the turn or progressing.
    So many people signal incorrectly anyway... or just leave indicators on without knowing.

Never trust an indicator... believe me. It may save your life sometime.

i wouldn't trust any driver on a roundabout. I just cant figure out why people can grasp this idea of indicating on a roundabout. Do they think its a big bend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Just spotted this thread now. Has anyone mentioned cyclists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The truck driver race. Fat bastard number one doing 80 on the inside lane, fat bastard number two manages to get up to 81 and thinks 'f*ck this Sunday driver' and pulls into the overtaking lane without even a glance in his mirror to see what traffic is in that lane. What follows is a ten minute crawl past the truck on the inside and a traffic tailback in both lanes.

Also, cyclec*nts obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

As a Driver of a car I always hated pricks who had their fog lights on all the time, even when driving lights were off.

I always gave horse boxes and lorries a wide berth as they have to avoid potholes and I always kept well back and gave an extra few seconds when overtaking them. Being in Kildare/Meath they were everywhere.

I also hated when some numpty would speed up and pull into the overtaking lane as I went to overtake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Drunk drivers, slow drivers, people not indicating.

Anyone who thinks they own the road as they drive a 16/17 car and can't be arsed to even indicate or show courtesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

foggy_lad wrote: »
    As a Driver of a car I always hated pricks who had their fog lights on all the time, even when driving lights were off.

You and your fog fetish, you never let up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

JeffKenna wrote: »
    If you're first in line at the lights then you should have your foot on the clutch and hand on the handbrake ready to go. A ten second delay at each traffic light change really builds up traffic especially in peak hours.

No you shouldn't. Unless you want to burn out your clutch release bearing prematurely. Any competent driver can depress the clutch, get into gear and drop the handbrake in one second flat.

Any competent driver can depress the clutch, get into gear and drop the handbrake in one second flat.

1 second is a bit ambitious for Irish drivers, they take way longer to take off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Impatient drivers turning right at traffic lights who cut across the oncoming cars the second the lights change.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1 second is a bit ambitious for Irish drivers, they take way longer to take off
    https://i.imgflip.com/105bdb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

And 99% of drivers are morons...

Where the hell did you pull that bullshít figure out of?

Are you implying that roads should be restricted to automobiles only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...Any competent driver can depress the clutch, get into gear and drop the handbrake in one second flat.

Yeh but first they've to look up from that mesmeric spot just below window height to the right of their right thigh where their right hand is feverishly tapping the text. Then they have to register that they are actually the driver. Then scan for the cause of the horn beeping. Then the generous 'I'm doing it!' wave...
    :rolleyes:
    And then get to depress the clutch etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

No you shouldn't. Unless you want to burn out your clutch release bearing prematurely. Any competent driver can depress the clutch, get into gear and drop the handbrake in one second flat.

Go back and do that in your driving test and see if they pass you.

And 99% of drivers are morons...

Where the hell did you pull that bullshít figure out of?

Are you implying that roads should be restricted to automobiles only?

That's not a bad idea like I said in my first post in this conversation iv scrubbed s@#t off my shoe that's of more value than cyclists:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Misaligned Windscreen washer jets which shoot over the windscreen onto the cars behind, thus forcing them to then spray their windscreen :))

Tip: stick a pin into the nozzles to adjust them, so that they hit the centre of your windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They are a menace.
    Though funnily enough, of the four groups mentioned above, cyclists are the one group that don't kill people every year on the roads. But they are 'a menace' apparently?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Motorists who try to make a big deal out of cyclists completely oblivious to their own law breaking, be it speeding, dangerous turns, failure to observe yield and stop signs, and many other shortcomings.

Even had one idiot rammed into the back of my car a few weeks ago - not satisfied with the once, but as I ground to a halt after the first collision he decided to ram into the back of my car a second time, then did a runner.

Some motorists are completely obnoxious scumbags*

*the vast majority are not - like cyclists I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

foggy_lad wrote: »

I always gave horse boxes and lorries a wide berth as they have to avoid potholes and I always kept well back and gave an extra few seconds when overtaking them. Being in Kildare/Meath they were everywhere.

I also hated when some numpty would speed up and pull into the overtaking lane as I went to overtake them.

Driving from Tullamore this evening to my home a distance of 32km I stopped counting after meeting twenty of those pricks with fog lights on.The only bit of fog at the time was the bit between those idiot drivers ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Driving from Tullamore this evening to my home a distance of 32km I stopped counting after meeting twenty of those pricks with fog lights on.The only bit of fog at the time was the bit between those idiot drivers ears.

For some reason when it's actually foggy, not as many seem to have their fog lights on. Can never work that one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    For some reason when it's actually foggy, not as many seem to have their fog lights on. Can never work that one out.

Neither can I.I met a couple of geniuses with parking lights only on in the bad fog we had last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

That's not a bad idea like I said in my first post in this conversation iv scrubbed s@#t off my shoe that's of more value than cyclists:rolleyes:

Would you perhaps have a slight dislike of cyclists?

• Advertisement
Advertisement