Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Patww79 wrote: »

I don't know what either of you mean.

See, I've only being driving for 35 years.

In that short time I've not encountered a problem with these mysterious trouble makers. In fact, of the many highly trained, highly experienced and highly competent drivers I know, none of them seem to be experiencing this phenomenal angst you lot encounter.

By the hysterical wailings posted in these threads I should be scraping cyclists off my bumper several times a week. I'm not, Neither are you nor anyone else.

There are FAR bigger problems on the road and I highly suspect that several of them are the anti cyclist posters on these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    I met another of those '60kph w@nkers' this morning on way out to work

Regardless of the road, the conditions or the traffic they're going to drive at 60kph.

And God forbid they'd pull over slightly into the hard shoulder to allow people overtake.

The ones who drive at funeral pace but still feel the need to brake every time a car approaches on the other side of the road them are the worst of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Liamo08 wrote: »
    Exactly, there will be a red light for the left turn but a huge amount of people seem to think you can ignore this when there is a straight ahead green arrow.

Some traffic lights are very badly designed IMO. Take the giant RED light on a dual carriageway that can be seen long before the junction [which makes you slow down] with the intention of stopping, only to find that the Giant RED is actually for drivers who wish to turn right :cool:

This big red light is then accompanied by a much smaller green arrow pointing straight on^

Surely the large lights should be connected to the primary road (straight on), with little green & red arrows for the turn off? It seems to be the wrong way round to my way of thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

LordSutch wrote: »
    Liamo08 wrote: »
    Exactly, there will be a red light for the left turn but a huge amount of people seem to think you can ignore this when there is a straight ahead green arrow.

Some traffic lights are very badly designed IMO. Take the giant RED light on a dual carriageway that can be seen long before the junction [which makes you slow down] with the intention of stopping, only to find that the Giant RED is actually for drivers who wish to turn right  :cool:

This big red light is then accompanied by a much smaller green arrow pointing straight on^

Surely the large lights should be connected to the primary road (straight on), with little green & red arrows for the turn off? It seems to be the wrong way round to my way of thinking.
    And then, there are the ones like Appian Way coming onto Leeson St, where the left filter light is green, then goes red for a few seconds, and then the full green light comes on. Why stop traffic in the filter lane for those few seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

As a driver - tailgating has to be the most irritating thing on the road. I seriously don't understand what anyone hopes to accomplish by driving so close to someone.

As a cyclist - It irritates me when other cyclists shoal up at a red light instead of forming a queue. I could end up having to overtake the same eejit several times going across town as they keep plonking themselves in front of me at traffic lights despite cycling at a slower pace.

In general people seriously need to chill out when they're driving/cycling. I will admit that I used to be a f*cking menace on my bike. Not as bad as some people I've seen out there, but I'm not proud of how I behaved all the same. I used to be so angry over such tiny things and I refused to acknowledge human error, or that the roads aren't quite big enough in many places.
    One day I just said enough is enough. I started going everywhere at a nice leisurely pace while obeying all the rules and being nice to people instead, and guess what ... stress levels came way down, I started enjoying my journeys, and most of all I got to work in the same amount of time. There are still plenty of selfish road users out there, but there's nothing I can do about that.

I would encourage everyone to try and understand that people make mistakes and it is rare that anyone is deliberately irritating you. The only thing you have any control over is how you react.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

eet fuk wrote: »
    As a driver - tailgating has to be the most irritating thing on the road. I seriously don't understand what anyone hopes to accomplish by driving so close to someone.

Saving petrol/diesel? Less wind resistance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If you knew anything about cycling, it's not a superiority thing. Try it out for a bit before you start whinging about it ;)

Most of what you list is illegal, report them. I don't know anybody who that wouldn't annoy. The "deliberately make things difficult... rabble rabble rabble..." is utter bullshít. The issue lies with your perception.

You hate all cyclists equally, well... that's just stupid.

I hate anybody who uses any mode of transport while on the phone, that includes you zombie halfwits on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

xabi wrote: »
    That depends on the junction, unless there is a separate red for turning left they are perfectly entitled to turn left on green. What junction is it?
    For example: Fairview outbound at the Alfie Byrne Road near Clontarf Garda station. You would frequently see people turning right towards East Wall illegally when the right turn filter light is red and only the straight ahead arrow is green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

eet fuk wrote: »
    I would encourage everyone to try and understand that people make mistakes and it is rare that anyone is deliberately irritating you. The only thing you have any control over is how you react.

You should be banned from AH with that kind of attitude. You disgust me! :mad:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bus stops about 100m after traffic lights, where there is absolutely no scope to get past if traffic is queuing in the other direction (except when on a bike:p). I seriously wonder on occasions who came up with some of the places they allow busses to stop.

Beasty wrote: »
    Bus stops about 100m after traffic lights, where there is absolutely no scope to get past if traffic is queuing in the other direction (except when on a bike:p). I seriously wonder on occasions who came up with some of the places they allow busses to stop.
    Taxis driving up bikes, blocking them from passing the stopped bus when there's only enough room to the right of the stopped bus for a cyclist to pass.

Beasty wrote: »
    Taxis driving up alongside the bikes and then stopping behind the bus, blocking them from passing the stopped bus when there's only enough room to the right of the stopped bus for a cyclist to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Veloce150 wrote: »
    Taxis driving up alongside the bikes and then stopping behind the bus, blocking them from passing the stopped bus when there's only enough room to the right of the stopped bus for a cyclist to pass.

Dam right too, must try that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

Drivers who don't let a bus clearly indicating right back into traffic after they've let passengers on/off, and insist on overtaking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

xabi wrote: »
    That depends on the junction, unless there is a separate red for turning left they are perfectly entitled to turn left on green. What junction is it?

The previous poster specifically mentioned a green arrow, which only entitles you to proceed in the direction of the arrow. It is this attitude that takes any green as allowing going anywhere that causes all these problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭queueeye

People who don't pass out slow moving vehicles because they follow them too closely. They're unable to see opportunities to pass and cause traffic to build up behind them. Ffs love you don't have neck like a giraffe so stay back 20 yards, get a good look at what's coming and move along when the opportunity presents itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

queueeye wrote: »
    People who don't pass out slow moving vehicles because they follow them too closely. They're unable to see opportunities to pass and cause traffic to build up behind them. Ffs love you don't have neck like a giraffe so stay back 20 yards, get a good look at what's coming and move along when the opportunity presents itself.

i was stuck behind a guy doing this for miles.
    he was tight up behind a slow truck. he was too close to see any opertunity. when a straight would come he would have to pull out to see if it was clear. most of the time it wasnt so he would violently swerve back in . when it was clear he was too late and slow to actually over take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

People who sit slap bang in the middle of a lane while waiting for oncoming traffic to pass so they can turn right. Meanwhile traffic builds behind them because there's not enough room to pass them on the inside.
    Just keep left of the centre white line and we'll be able to pass by hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Jayop wrote: »
    I have had more other drivers almost kill me than cyclists so as a driver and at the moment non cyclist I'll say I don't like drivers.

So really foggy here last week, unsurprisingly there was as many people driving around with either their side lights or no lights at all on as you would expect. Absolute morons.

Personally I'd be all for passing a law that all new cars must have their dipped headlights on at all times while the car is on. I'd also make it a requirement for all other drivers of old cars to always have their dips on. That way when you get fog or when it's approaching dusk, or in heavy rain with low visibility these clowns would be able to be seen and pose less of a danger to others.

I don't understand this, every motorbike sold in Europe (Maybe worldwide?) After 2004 has the lights on all the time. Why are you even able to turn off the lights in a car? Is it for sneaking around in the dark with your paramilitary buddies or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I must be the only pedestrian that waits for the green man.

So many times while I'm walking across the road, cyclists just come past me. If it's green for me, it's red for them. The cops should be out and not just penalise the drivers.

Then today, i was walking across the road when two cars skipped their red light. OK i understand, they might have to wait until their way is clear to make a turn but it doesn't mean they can skip a red light, not one but two. There should be a least a green filter light.

At a pedestrian crossing close to me there are two white lines spaced apart. I always thought drivers should stop at the first white line. I'm not sure what that huge gap is for between that white line and the pedestrian crossing. Does anyone know what I'm on about? So many times drivers will sit at the white line on the pedestrian crossing. And last week, some idiot crawled right into the pedestrian crossing and sat there for their green light. How are people to cross the road, jump over their car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

People who SLOW DOWN to merge with a higher speed road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

CaptainR wrote: »
    ...every motorbike sold in Europe (Maybe worldwide?) After 2004 has the lights on all the time.
    Eh no not true...
    Not that it wouldn't be a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The Raptor wrote:

The green what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Sneaky bus lane drivers that try to get a few cars ahead then force their way back in to traffic.

Motorists who don't read the bus lane signs showing hours of operation and then won't let you join their lane after you have legitimately used the bus lane.

I have to say though, I'm delighted most motorists don't read those signs, it leaves the bus lane empty for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

People who sit slap bang in the middle of a lane while waiting for oncoming traffic to pass so they can turn right. Meanwhile traffic builds behind them because there's not enough room to pass them on the inside.
    Just keep left of the centre white line and we'll be able to pass by hopefully.

Yes! Even worse are people taking a right turn who swing over to the left of the lane to give themselves a nice wide turning arc thereby blocking all cars behind them. FFS it's not a truck, move right over to the middle of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Pedestrians who are walking along in a straight line.. then just as you're approaching the zebra crossing BAM the turn on a dime and use the zebra crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Holysock wrote: »
    Drivers who don't let a bus clearly indicating right back into traffic after they've let passengers on/off, and insist on overtaking it.
    Ok going to bite. Why do they have to let them. Yes they can be curtious but a bus does not have the right just to pull out. They have to obey just like all traffic. I am also looking as taxis in relation to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Surprise roadworks. One minute everything's normal, then you wake up one day and there's a gang of lads digging up your road to work. At best they'll put up some signs saying there will be roadworks but no indication of what they're doing.

In the UK they have a plan and information so that everyone who uses the road can plan around the roadworks. Here we're lucky if even the lads doing the roadworks have bothered with a plan.

A driver who stops to let someone out who is going across the road even though the other side is not stopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Something which I've noticed over the last few months and is really starting to bug me. One of the local Maxol petrol stations was done up recently. They now have a one way system where you enter the station one way and exit through another. The exit has 2 lanes and is plenty wide to accomadate 2 cars side by side. The amount of people who still drive to the left of the exit and indicate to go right is staggering, holding the whole show up behind them. Tisnt rocket science, its clearly marked as an exit only. If you want to go right use the right hand lane and leave the left hand lane free for those of us who want to turn left....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Drivers who dont (or cant) indicate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

On a 100k road, car following right behind a truck doing 80 with no intention of passing and no space for someone else to get in between. Now you make the passing distance way longer than it needs to be and considerably reduce the opportunity for others to legally pass that truck. Before you know it, there are now six of us stuck behind you. If you are not going to pass, then pull back and let the rest of us in between you and the truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Road works.

On a busy national road. In winter.

Let's not do it while the schools are off during the summer and overall traffic volumes are lighter, and with the additional bonus of longer day light.

Nah, we'll dig up the road in a town that badly needs bypassing, in the weeks leading up to Christmas and cause chaos and lengthy delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

The Raptor wrote: »

So many times while I'm walking across the road, cyclists just come past me. If it's green for me, it's red for them. The cops should be out and not just penalise the drivers.

I get what your saying and of course there are a lot of red light jumpers out there, but at some lights the amber sequence is not long enough to accommodate a cyclist passing through the junction, the result being they have progressed through a legitimate green light but by the time they come to the other side of the junction the green man has lit. It doesn't mean you have absolute right of way, it means you can proceed when safe to do so.

Blatant red light jumpers p!ss everyone off and there's not enough enforcement on the roads to deter them no matter the mode of transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Motorists who don't read the bus lane signs showing hours of operation and then won't let you join their lane after you have legitimately used the bus lane.

I have to say though, I'm delighted most motorists don't read those signs, it leaves the bus lane empty for me :)
    Million times yes!
    Although like you said, its like a secret private lane sometimes :D
    Bit of a generalisation because I certainly don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Drivers hogging the slow lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

aujopimur wrote: »
    Drivers hogging the slow lane.
    What? Are they supposed to use the hard shoulder or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

valoren wrote: »
    Road works.

On a busy national road. In winter.

Let's not do it while the schools are off during the summer and overall traffic volumes are lighter, and with the additional bonus of longer day light.

Nah, we'll dig up the road in a town that badly needs bypassing, in the weeks leading up to Christmas and cause chaos and lengthy delays.

Seems very common. The works on Ballyfermot to Chapelizod bypass started the week the schools went back. And still ongoing.

Also at Lucan, just in time for Christmas shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Let's go with a very specific one.

The roundabout below is the one south of Dundrum Shopping centre.

403415.JPG

The road markings are very clear, and aligned with the rules of the road - if you want to go left towards the LUAS bridge, you take the slip road. If you want to go straight, into the Shopping Centre, you take the left lane. If you want to go right at the roundabout, towards Balally/Kilmacud, you take the right lane.

Yet for some reason in the morning rush, 90% of the people going towards Kilmacud, take the left-hand lane.

The right-hand lane being virtually empty, is the one I use. And then people get all pissy when I merge ahead of them at the far side of the roundabout.

You can't take the 3rd exit from the left-hand lane. Rules of the road, people.

you're obviously right. What do they do when someone from the second exit (from the direction you're talking about) goes the whole way around to take the first exit(from the same perspective)..

I hate that people also slow everyone down by blocking etc instead of allowing zipper merges to work.

Seriously the amount of ****ing ***** who don't understand zipper merging. It's the most amazing tool for traffic management which is totally destroyed by people being selfish and never being taught about it. There should be ads on every ad break on tv explaining another aspect of driving.

they could do:

Zipper merges

roundabout lane usage

looking ahead to decide whether to overtake a cyclist before turning left in front of them

cyclists driving up the inside of a car already indicating to turn left

allowing yourself to be overtaken

when you should overtake

when tractors and other slow vehicles should pull in to let others pass, and when people should NOT pass slow moving vehicles

how big of a gap to leave behind a vehicle you are not going to overtake (hint: it has to be big enough to allow yourself to be overtaken)

how to check if your headlamps are adjusted correctly. Another hint, if you can see your lights are casting a shadow of the drivers in front of you, your ****ing lights are blinding them, you ****.

overtaking lane usage on multi-lane roads.

people flashing their headlights to tell others to turn on their lights at night.. no you fools you flick from dips to parking lights to tell someone their lights aren't on. That way everyone who has seen this knows you were giving the turn your lights on sign, not the speed van, hazard, "you're going too quick", or whatever else bollox people try to convey with a flash these days.

Also stuff like explaining that you put on your indicator to indicate your intention, not turn it on as you're already moving over. And if the person in front of you has their indicator on, preparing for the overtake, don't ****ing pull out before them when you realise you could also overtake!!!!!

here's a bonus annoyance:
    People who move into lane 2 on approaching a 2 in 2 out roundabout, so they can drive beside you around the roundabout and take the same exit. WHY. ****ing stay behind and overtake after the roundabout, I don't want to have to deal with you straight lining and moving into my lane. If you attempt to do this I will drop a gear and get the **** out of dodge before you can say 'hur durr but i in fast lane u no under take'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Seems very common. The works on Ballyfermot to Chapelizod bypass started the week the schools went back. And still ongoing.

Also at Lucan, just in time for Christmas shopping.

Both of which I spend seemingly my week stuck in and I'm getting PT!

Hitting the Ballyfermot on-slip before Palmerstown was always a pain but now without Bus Lane is an absolute joke.

It's actually one of the rules of the road and a theory test question that you should allow signalling buses back into the stream of traffic.

Should or must?

Because there are real rules of the road that state all traffic must give way to vehicles already on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

Ok going to bite. Why do they have to let them. Yes they can be curtious but a bus does not have the right just to pull out. They have to obey just like all traffic. I am also looking as taxis in relation to this

Because it's one of the rules of the road (and a theory test question) that you should allow signalling buses back into the stream of traffic after they let passengers on and off.

Also it's nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Because it's one of the rules of the road (and a theory test question) that you should allow signalling buses back into the stream of traffic after they let passengers on and off.

Also it's nice

It's not a "rule", it's a recommendation in the ROTR on how the RSA think it is best to act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Million times yes!
    Although like you said, its like a secret private lane sometimes :D

Bit of a generalisation because I certainly don't.

Nor I.

Also it's nice

A link would be nice.

I never said you couldn't do it to be nice

• Advertisement
Advertisement