Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

valoren wrote: »
    Road works.

On a busy national road. In winter.

Let's not do it while the schools are off during the summer and overall traffic volumes are lighter, and with the additional bonus of longer day light.

Nah, we'll dig up the road in a town that badly needs bypassing, in the weeks leading up to Christmas and cause chaos and lengthy delays.

Ardee by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

Should or must?
    Because there are real rules of the road that state all traffic must give way to vehicles already on the road
    Balance thiat against the overtaking regulations which prohibit overtaking where it would cause inconvenience to others.
    10. (1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.
    Not letting a bus out causes inconvenience to all the passengers on the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Veloce150 wrote: »
    Balance thiat against the overtaking regulations which prohibit overtaking where it would cause inconvenience to others.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
    Sometimes you have to decide what is the right thing to do.

did you read the full context? Busses pulling out without checking their mirror were the issue. It was then suggested you're legally obliged to let them out, even though most of the time they pull out as soon as they slap on their indicator.

I said I slow down way back because I don't ever want to be beside them when they decide they want to pull out NOW and **** everyone else on the road including motorbikes (me) which they don't check for.

Sometimes you have to decide to read the thread before replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Feckers that dally at traffic lights taking 15+ seconds to take off then craaawl over the line then brake, have a look around in case they miss anything! before eventually driving off!
    This totally plsses me off! This to me is driving without consideration for other drivers! Not thinking about who's behind

AND! Who get's penalised? The Amber Gambler! This is totally wrong!
    The lights on my side street only stay green for about 20 seconds, enough for 4 or 5 cars to get through then it's another 2 minute wait! But what do we have most of the time? Some bell-end that takes his time! Just as long as they get through IT'S [EMAIL="F@CK"]F@CK[/EMAIL] EVERYONE ELSE!

When the lights are green JUST GO! Dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

did you read the full context? Busses pulling out without checking their mirror were the issue.

If you could throw a link up to where the bus was pulling out without checking the mirrors, that would be great.

And yes, I have read the thread.

pablo128 wrote: »
    If you could throw a link up to where the bus was pulling out without checking the mirrors, that would be great.

that would be great

So you were making it up, while telling a poster to read the thread properly. LOL. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement

So you were making it up, while telling a poster to read the thread properly. LOL. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Ok so pablo when are you going to call out the other poster for the great reply to me about it being illegal to inconvenience a bus by overtaking it (LOL)

Let's have a really passive aggressive read though the thread and see if you will ever forgive me (don't know why you've chosen to ask for a citation but hey just for the fact you quoted office space here's a big long reply where I will needlessly laboriously go through a fcuking thread on boards to try explain a reply I made to someone else, to you else who has for some reason taken issue with me shutting down someone who suggested it's illegal to inconvenience a bus by overtaking it) I'm glad you cared so much as to ask for this, it really boggles my mind but here we go this one's for you(?)

first let's dissect my post which you've taken issue with
    did you read the full context? Busses pulling out without checking their mirror were the issue. It was then suggested you're legally obliged to let them out, even though most of the time they pull out as soon as they slap on their indicator.

I said I slow down way back because I don't ever want to be beside them when they decide they want to pull out NOW and **** everyone else on the road including motorbikes (me) which they don't check for.

"Busses which pull out without checking were the issue" OK here's your issue(?), these exact words weren't said, but if he had followed the thread I think it's more than fair to say he should not have interpreted what I had said in such a way as to come with with that utter **** about it being illegal to overtake a bus because you may inconvenience them. What was actually being discussed was a non-existent right of way for busses to pull out as long as they have their indicators on, I said without checking their mirrors oops sorry that must be a direct reaction from having busses nearly side swipe me on my motorbike because they don't look or listen and just pull out when they slap the indicator, after all they have a right of way to pull out into the flow of traffic (:rolleyes:)

It may be a mental leap but is it not obvious this is down to
    es they can be curtious but a bus does not have the right just to pull out. They have to obey just like all traffic
    and the reply stating they have the right of way to pull out as long as they're indicating, as if the flow of traffic does not matter?

from the top minus the post holysock deleted which I originally replied to.
    Holysock wrote: »
    Drivers who don't let a bus clearly indicating right back into traffic after they've let passengers on/off, and insist on overtaking it.
    A fair remark. In the circumstance that you arrive behind the bus after it is already indicating to move off. But how often is there not a stream of traffic flowing along while a bus is pulled in picking up passengers?
    Ok going to bite. Why do they have to let them. Yes they can be curtious but a bus does not have the right just to pull out. They have to obey just like all traffic. I am also looking as taxis in relation to this
    A fair reply, busses must wait just like all traffic until it is clear and safe to pull out. So at this point please notice we now have the assertion that busses are not entitled to just pull out whenever they like.

This part we have both just read together may be where you have an issue, but I think the reply to this should cement the reason I replied
    Holysock wrote: »
    Because it's one of the rules of the road (and a theory test question) that you should allow signalling buses back into the stream of traffic after they let passengers on and off.

Also it's nice

Now it is suggested that it is a rule of the road and theory test question to allow a bus to simply pull out as long as they have their indicator on.

So at this point can we agree that it has been suggested that busses have a right of way to pull out into traffic as long as they have their indicator on? In the real world I have come across this where I will be driving or riding past a stopped bus and in the same movement of the hands the indicator is slapped up and the steering wheel is put on full lock to pull out into my path. Are they checking their mirrors and doing this on purpose or are they just pulling out because they assume they have right of way to pull out into the path of other traffic? Or maybe, just maybe bus drivers can be as **** as all the other people on the road and they count as road issues this thread is here to complain about.

I then got this absurd reply, suggesting that overtaking a parked bus is against 'regulations' because it would cause inconvenience to others.

So it's apparently 'against the overtaking regulations' to drive past a bus as you may cause inconvenience to others since the driver couldn't pull out into the flow of traffic at whatever moment in time they choose.
    Got this which I then replied to with me questioning did they read the thread since they clearly totally missed the point* that the 'rule of the road' stating that busses are allowed to pull out into the path of traffic as long as they are indicating was suggested. This I obviously took issue with since I have been nearly side swiped multiple times by bus drivers who seem to actually believe that they can slap on the indicator and put on full lock in the same hand motion and pull directly out.

*so have you missed the point too and you're just looking for a meaningless argument? Because for someone who has read the thread you seem to have had a hard time making the tiny mental leap between a right of way to pull out into the flow of traffic and my freudian slip of saying not checking their mirrors.

I'm deeply sorry I gave a ****ty reply to that wonderful effort of trying to suggest it's illegal to overtake a bus. I sincerely hope you will forgive me :pac:

Ok

WTF?:eek:

I simply wanted you to quote the post regarding buses pulling out without looking, or checking. The one you asked the other poster to read the thread for.

I didn't expect to experience a full blown online 'triggering'! :o

WTF?:eek:

I simply wanted you to quote the post regarding buses pulling out without looking, or checking. The one you asked the other poster to read the thread for.

I didn't expect to experience a full blown online 'triggering'! :o

wtf is right I tried to shoo you off with a picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Raptor wrote: »
    I must be the only pedestrian that waits for the green man.

What I really hate is pedestrians who hit the button and then cross before they get a green light making the traffic stop for nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Knock it off Pablo and Frozen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Roadies, I hate them with a passion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

During my daily commute on the N1 it's actually staggering the amount of bus drivers that will drift partially into your lane because they don't want to slow down and wait for space to overe take cyclists. I've some very close calls far too many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

One that I experience quite a bit are the tossers thathe speed up whilst your are overtaking them.
    Burn in hell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

During my daily commute on the N1 it's actually staggering the amount of bus drivers that will drift partially into your lane because they don't want to slow down and wait for space to overe take cyclists. I've some very close calls far too many times.
    On the N1? The N1 exists near the border just north of the end of the M1 but there's no husband lane there.
    As it is a high speed dual carriageway, I can understand your concern stover bus drivers drifting.

Or are you incorrectly referring to the N1 rather than the R132?

kbannon wrote: »
    On the N1? The N1 exists near the border just north of the end of the M1 but there's no husband lane there.
    As it is a high speed dual carriageway, I can understand your concern stover bus drivers drifting.

Whatever, it shows as the N1 on google maps.

Jesus you've been picking at people about that for 13 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I hate people who don't use indicators on roundabouts, I hate people who use them incorrectly and mis-indicate infinitely more.

• Advertisement

If one sees the cyclists in front of the bus before starting to overtake, I'd call that an inconsiderate overtaking manouvre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

bear1 wrote: »
    One that I experience quite a bit are the tossers thathe speed up whilst your are overtaking them.
    Burn in hell.

It's a power thing. I notice it all the time and even as a pedestrian, there are some drivers who will accelerate when they see someone crossing the road in the distance. The pedestrian has only decided to cross the road cause they are feasibly not going to impede a car given how far the cars are away and I think the drivers know that and want to prove them wrong or something. I see it on one particular stretch of road all the time. Have even seen drivers move into the bus lane just to intimidate people and then act all inconvenienced by them.

Same mentality as those fools who go out with their GoPros on just looking for someone to do the slightest thing wrong so they can take full advantage and get themselves a little drama and attention out of it. Nowt stranger than folk as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Swan necking is one of the most irritating things I see when driving. You only have to go a relatively short distance to experience it. So you're heading down a narrow road, cars coming against you, the first one is turning to his left.

The eejit behind will drive around him, now into your path, rather than waiting the few seconds for the car in front of him to complete the turn.

It's a real feature in Irish driving and shows a mix of aggressiveness, impatience and plain stupidity.

Whatever, it shows as the N1 on google maps.
    Google is frequently wrong!
    Jesus you've been picking at people about that for 13 years.
    I have?

For me the worst offenders are fellows who line up in monster trucks like Bigfoot and drive over lines of parked cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Husband lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

It's a power thing. I notice it all the time and even as a pedestrian, there are some drivers who will accelerate when they see someone crossing the road in the distance.

No doubt true for many with fragile egos...

But I think there's also nervous drivers who just completely tense up when they see someone overtaking.

As they tense up their right foot pushes down and they end up going 10-20km/h faster without even realising.

Just a theory. It's the same kind of irrational mild panic that you see in people that brake ever time there's a car coming in the opposite direction or someone waiting to turn on from a side-road.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    No doubt true for many with fragile egos...

But I think there's also nervous drivers who just completely tense up when they see someone overtaking.

As they tense up their right foot pushes down and they end up going 10-20km/h faster without even realising.

Just a theory. It's the same kind of irrational mild panic that you see in people that brake ever time there's a car coming in the opposite direction or someone waiting to turn on from a side-road.

Not dismissing your theory but some people are pig headed. I was in a large van heading to Galway on the motorway. I just went through a toll and was getting up to speed and passing a Citroen Picasso or similar when he put the boot down. Grand, says I, and pulled in behind only for him to gradually slow down. This happened about 3 times when I went to overtake him. Eventually I kept the shoe in myself as I was tired of it. Just as I was running out of steam at about 150 kmh, his engine blew up in a big burst of thick white smoke!:pac:

Google is frequently wrong!

I have?

Well then congratulations, your hobby of studying the names of roads has finally paid off. What a triumph for you.

If one sees the cyclists in front of the bus before starting to overtake, I'd call that an inconsiderate overtaking manouvre.

More often than not its slow heavy traffic with a bus driver bombing up the bus lane swerving around cyclists.

• Advertisement

Well then congratulations, your hobby of studying the names of roads has finally paid off. What a triumph for you.
    I know. I'm so proud of myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

People who beep at you to move in the literal second that the red light as turned to green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Drivers who don't understand the 'zipper' principle by (NOT) allowing filtering drivers to join the motorway ......

This "No I'm not letting anyone in front of me, they're just not getting in" type of driver used to be very common back in the day. Thankfully nowadays 'most' Irish drivers have matured & understand that letting people onto the motorway is a sensible and courteous thing to do, mind you, you still get the odd nutter who will make a point of closing up to the car in front of him, therby making you break and wait for the space behind 'Mr I'm not letting you in'.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Drivers who don't understand the 'zipper' principle by (NOT) allowing filtering drivers to join the motorway ......

This "No I'm not letting anyone in front of me, they're just not getting in" type of driver used to be very common back in the day. Thankfully nowadays 'most' Irish drivers have matured & understand that letting people onto the motorway is a sensible and courteous thing to do, mind you, you still get the odd nutter who will make a point of closing up to the car in front of him, therby making you break and wait for the space behind 'Mr I'm not letting you in'.

I usually make a point of getting into that space. I had an attractive lady in a convertible BMW throw a cup of coffee at my car one morning in rush hour because I pretty much barged in when she tried to 'close the door'.

She missed.:D

Drivers who turn left on a green light and then stop at the red light intended for the other traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I was surprised to see a BMW with indicators earlier, how much extra do you have to pay for that feature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Drivers who turn left on a green light and then stop at the red light intended for the other traffic.

My wife does that all the time!!! :D:D:D

Her only response to me when I try to explain her error is "You never ever break a red light, it's the law for f*ck sake!!!" ........ I've given up.

I was surprised to see a BMW with indicators earlier, how much extra do you have to pay for that feature?
    More likely it''s been stolen. BMW owners don't indicate, it would void the warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cyclists who don't wear lights when cycling in the dark, because the street lights are on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Went on a toy run today on my motorbike. Smallish run about 50-60 bikes. One thing I noticed was the amount of people who were so impatient that they would try to nudge out of a side road when they saw a chance. It would have split the group up. Then they'd be either trying to overtake or getting in the way of the marshalls.

Good god people are impatient. Its a Sunday, where do you really have to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

People who are pushing buggys on the foothpath that turn and drop the front wheels onto the road without looking first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The biggest road issue can be very clearly seen in this whole thread. Every driver on the road is very angry, aggressive and impatient towards everyone and everything else while driving. I am no better.

In my opinion the reason for this is similar to the keyboard warrior syndrome. We are cocooned in our tin can, our opinions can be privately vented out with the victims of our rants left in the dark about what we really think.

Imagine a world where what we say or do in our car could be heard by the people we are venting towards. I'd guarantee we would be alot more polite towards each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

The biggest road issue can be very clearly seen in this whole thread. Every driver on the road is very angry, aggressive and impatient towards everyone and everything else while driving. I am no better.

Definitely not true. All the posters on here ,as you can tell fro their posts, are courteous careful respectful and loving to their fellow drivers and do not use mobile phones or use profanity while driving. Well done lads and lassies. :rolleyes: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    They seem to fit into most drivers' hands regardless.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

RainyDay wrote: »
    My most irritating road issues would be the folks that moan about cyclists (riding 10kg bikes at 10-20 kmph) breaking red lights while apparently not noticing (or noticing and ignoring) the endemic breaking of amber/red lights by motorists driving 1-4 tonne vehicles at speeds of 20-100 kmph. And don't get me started on the phoning/texting drivers, and the 80% of drivers who break speed limits.

What you need in that situation is a pocketful of pebbles and lash them at the light breakers car, frighten the **** out of them

Patww79 wrote: »

So what do you reckon? 40% of drivers with phones in hands? Or maybe 30% on a good day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

bad fog here yesterday, and the amount of drivers without lights on is staggering. maybe they have superman vision but i, for one, couldn't make them out at times. i pity anyone attempting to pull out of a junction/entrance not realising these clowns are out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement