Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Do you wear these while driving?

http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000062071409-m5es0r-original.jpg?3eddc42

It is such a frequent occurrence on the roads that it can be hard to notice them any more. It is generally easier in winter with the bright glow from the hand or steering wheel. I've been in lines of slow moving traffic when I'll easily get a hat-trick of three drivers in a row on their phones.

If you're only seeing 1 in every 250 cars, you need to think about upping your game on observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

For those of you familiar with the flyover at Ballymount, there is the slip road on to the M50 north, which has a short merging lane. The amount of people that abuse this just to get one or two cars ahead is annoying! The right turn light comes on from the flyover to this slip road, and it's like a race. Ones in particular that annoy me are the ones that have to merge again at the end of the slip to continue north, usually getting stuck in a line of heavy traffic. Those of us that wish to continue on to the N7 on ramp end up passing these again. it's pointless what they do. I know the merge is there for a reason, but these merely use it to skip the queue. Some of these are regular queue jumpers in the mornings! If it's a truck using the merge, I will let them in. They need more room to turn. The rest, I will try my best not to!

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's just it though, they're not 'accidents'. No-one is at fault for an accidents, whereas someone is at fault every time another of the 200-ish deaths each year happens. Someone made the decision to go beyond the speed limit, someone made the decision to pick up their phone and check the text, someone decided to have a couple of pints and give it a shot. But hey, I'm sure you know better than the RSA what causes the frequent deaths and injuries on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So what do you reckon? 40% of drivers with phones in hands? Or maybe 30% on a good day?

i travel the full length of the m50 every day. 40 or even 30% is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,165 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

the amount of motorcyclists who ride alongside car traffic, either weaving in and out, or as i had this morning - overtaking traffic going about 10km per hour over a continuous white line and on one occasion literally going over the far side of some traffic calming measures (completely over the other side of the road).

Either as a motorcyclist you want to be treated like a car, as in given that respect and road space, or you don't. You can't have it both ways :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

everlast75 wrote: »
    the amount of motorcyclists who ride alongside car traffic, either weaving in and out, or as i had this morning - overtaking traffic going about 10km per hour over a continuous white line and on one occasion literally going over the far side of some traffic calming measures (completely over the other side of the road).

Either as a motorcyclist you want to be treated like a car, as in given that respect and road space, or you don't. You can't have it both ways :mad:

Yes we can. It's called filtering or lane splitting and it's safer for us, legal, and reduces the amount of traffic for you as an added bonus.

Where did any motorcyclist say they wanted to be treated like a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

What a load of uneducated claptrap. Its filtering its perfectly legal and is safer for us than sitting in traffic where you're at the mercy of the car behind you.

The attitude of people who have a problem with it comes from them feeling that a biker is "Jumping the queue".

Its illegal in the states apart from California and the statistics show that the chances of being rear ended in traffic are higher in the other 49 states.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2015/05/29/motorcycle-lanesplitting-report/

Yes we can. It's called filtering or lane splitting and it's safer for us, legal, and reduces the amount of traffic for you as an added bonus.

Where did any motorcyclist say they wanted to be treated like a car?

Overtaking stationary traffic over a continuous white line is legal? Riding your bike over the other side of the road into the potential path of oncoming traffic is legal?

Nonsense mate.

i travel the full length of the m50 every day. 40 or even 30% is nonsense.

So you don't see this kind of stuff happening routinely?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxVG0aF2gIg0K8BZ4lwn_wQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

• Advertisement

Overtaking stationary traffic over a continuous white line is legal? Riding your bike over the other side of the road into the potential path of oncoming traffic is legal?

Nonsense mate.

You just seem really jealous that bikes get to skip the 'queue'. Do you get as angry when a cyclist does it? Or when a pedestrian walks faster than the traffic? Bikes are different to cars. Filtering is legal. If you want to be able to do it too just get a motorbike.

You just seem really jealous that bikes get to skip the 'queue'. Do you get as angry when a cyclist does it? Or when a pedestrian walks faster than the traffic? Bikes are different to cars. Filtering is legal. If you want to be able to do it too just get a motorbike.

You haven't answered the questions I asked

You haven't answered the questions I asked
    Filtering is legal. There's the answer to your question. Was what the motorcyclist did today legal? I don't know I didn't see it but if he was just filtering past a stopped queue then absolutely.

Did it look like this?
    (skip from 1:13 on for some legal filtering, it's in london but it's the same deal as here)

Can you answer my question of where exactly motorcyclists are asking to have it both ways and be treated like cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not enough flashing by Irish drivers!

It happens time and time again.

"Is he letting me out" or is he not? indecision follows ......

No flash, but maybe the slightest hint of a finger movement on the steering wheel???

It's very wishy washy & not a clear signal at all, so maybe he is gesturing for me to come out of that parking bay, or maybe he's just rubbing his finger along the steering wheel? it's hard to say (specially with the sun so low in the sky at this time of year).

So my message to Irish drivers is "If you are going to let another driver out of a side turning or out of a parking space, then give a crystal clear signal that you wish them to procede". Personally I always give 'one clear flash' and so the other driver completes his manoeuvre, then acknoledges me with a couple of winks of his hazzards . . . .

They're happy, I'm happy, Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LordSutch wrote: »

No flash, but maybe the slightest hint of a finger movement on the steering wheel???

It's very wishy washy & not a clear signal at all, so maybe he is gesturing for me to come out of that parking bay, or maybe he's just rubbing his finger along the steering wheel? it's hard to say (specially with the sun so low in the sky at this time of year).

So my message to Irish drivers is "If you are going to let another driver out of a side turning or out of a parking space, then give a crystal clear signal that you wish them to procede". Personally I always give 'one clear flash' and so the other driver completes his manoeuvre, then acknoledges me with a couple of winks of his hazzards . . . .

People think flashing your lights at people means "Go", "Don't go!", "That's my space!", "You have that space", "Go ahead and cross", "WTF are you doing crossing; the lights are with me", and so on, depending on context.

In reality, they have one meaning: I am here!

Having driven for decades in both Britain & Ireland I can safely say that 'one clear flash' means go with a Capital G (well certainly in Britain it does) and obviously in the context of the situation. Flashing here in Ireland seems to be less common and less certain.

Unclear finger gestures behind a reflective windscreen is mostly hopeless.

One flash and you're off . . . . . .

Filtering is legal. There's the answer to your question. Was what the motorcyclist did today legal? I don't know I didn't see it but if he was just filtering past a stopped queue then absolutely.

He overtook cars on a solid white line.
    He then rode onto the wrong side of the road around traffic calming measures? Is that not reckless? Is that not illegal?

Whatever about nipping in and out of lanes. And no - I'm not a wannabe motorcyclist. And no - its not the same as a pedestrian walking faster tha me. False equivalency at its best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

but of a leap from one or two a day to 30 or 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Twice today in Dublin city centre - bicycles with lots of shopping swinging out of the handlebars. Dodgy practice because of the effect on a bicycle's stability.

• Advertisement

He overtook cars on a solid white line.
    He then rode onto the wrong side of the road around traffic calming measures? Is that not reckless? Is that not illegal?

Whatever about nipping in and out of lanes. And no - I'm not a wannabe motorcyclist. And no - its not the same as a pedestrian walking faster tha me. False equivalency at its best

Filtering is legal. I never called you a wannabe motorcyclist. I also didn't compare it to a pedestrian I asked whether you had a problem with them making more progress than you.

I didn't see what happened and I'm not in the business of standing up for random people over things that I did not witness, but your original post here mentioned that as one point, the rest being you finding motorcycles driving alongside cars weaving in and out (maybe you have changed your mind in that regard now that you don't care about nipping in and out of lanes as you put it) So are you OK with filtering and it's just this very specific act of that bike today crossing a piece of traffic calming road furniture?

Also please keep the 'false equivalency' nonsense out of it, you also mentioned motorcyclists wanting to be treated like cars, strangely for someone in the game of logical fallacies you created this strawman and have dodged answering it since.

So, yesterday morning at 7:45am in the dark I was driving in the fairly heavy traffic up Booterstown Avenue and a motorcyclist was driving immediately in front of me. All of a sudden he skidded and hit the ground. I don't know why but I beeped the man instinctively and he put his hand up in acknowledgment. There was a time I would instinctively have got out to see if he was OK, but I always seem to be under time pressure now so I do feel crappy about that. Thankfully I wasn't driving up his backside or he would have been more seriously injured. Curiously about two months ago a similar incident also happened: a cyclist was cycling immediately in front of me and he fell off his bike on to the road. Same thing: if I had been driving closer to him he would have been more seriously injured.

Lesson: Give cyclists and motorcyclists more space in front of you.

So, yesterday morning at 7:45am in the dark I was driving in the fairly heavy traffic up Booterstown Avenue and a motorcyclist was driving immediately in front of me. All of a sudden he skidded and hit the ground. I don't know why but I beeped the man instinctively and he put his hand up in acknowledgment. There was a time I would instinctively have got out to see if he was OK, but I always seem to be under time pressure now so I do feel crappy about that. Thankfully I wasn't driving up his backside or he would have been more seriously injured. Curiously about two months ago a similar incident also happened: a cyclist was cycling immediately in front of me and he fell off his bike on to the road. Same thing: if I had been driving closer to him he would have been more seriously injured.

Lesson: Give cyclists and motorcyclists more space in front of you.

what are the odds? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057681351

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

This attitude does my ****ing nut in.

Don't flash*

Just follow the rules. One of you has right-of-way. Use it.

No decisions. No indecision. No wondering. No misunderstandings. No danger. Quicker in the long run.

*(unless you want to warn of danger)

"Is he letting me out" or is he not? indecision follows  ......

Anyone who's done advanced driver training will not give you a signal. In advanced training, you are told to give way and be courteous, but let the other driver take responsibility for their own decision about when to proceed. If you indicate for them to go ahead and something happens that you didn't expect, it could be your problem.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    This attitude does my ****ing nut in.

Don't flash*

Just follow the rules. One of you has right-of-way. Use it.

No decisions. No indecision. No wondering. No misunderstandings. No danger. Quicker in the long run.

I've been driving since the early 80s without a crash or mishap (I'm a very safe & courteous driver), so I'm sorry to say that I disagree with you 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

I've been driving since the early 80s without a crash or mishap (I'm a very safe & courteous driver), so I'm sorry to say that I disagree with you 100%.

Beckoning to others during your driving test can mean an automatic failure. What does that tell you about flashing "instructions" to others? ;)

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Beckoning to others during your driving test can mean an automatic failure. What does that tell you about flashing "instructions" to others? ;)

It tells me that when learning to drive you should not signal or indicate to other drivers, other then by using ones indicators. And if that's what it says in the rule book then one must obey that rule.

As a seasoned old goat, the scenario I am talking about (the one that irritates me) is wherby you are in slow moving or stationary at a junction & facing oncoming traffic, you wish to turn right and the question is will they let me go, or not? you see a vague gesture behind the windscreen (maybe a wave) of the finger? but no clear signal, do you go, or do you wait for a definitive signal like a flash!

All to often you wait, they wait, you edge out a little, they move a little, will they won't they? are they beckoning to me? I'm not sure > Oh for God's sake just give a flash and be clear about it... this, all in about 10 seconds.

Its the vague finger gesture on the wheel, or the suggestion of a wave that irritates me.
    Its so unclear and wishy washy.

That's my experienced opinion.

I'll say no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Diagonal jaywalkers! It's bad enough having jaywalkers cross in front of you, but when they do it slowly and walk diagonally....Very irritating!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Had to drive behind a particularly painful individual yesterday as we negotiated a number of roundabouts.
    Basically, if there was a car at any other arm of the roundabout, they were staying put. They would literally wait for the entire roundabout to clear before proceeding.
    On the third roundabout, they actually started to come to a stop on the circulatory carriageway as a car approached one of the arms. I had to blast my horn at them to prevent them yieldingly to the other vehicle.
    I truly despair that people like this are on the roads inflicting themselves on fellow road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

people that wont use ghost islands when turning right.
    how hard is it to see that the box is there for you so that your not holding up traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

people that wont use ghost islands when turning right.
    how hard is it to see that the box is there for you so that your not holding up traffic.
    Worse still are the ones that do, but then when the light goes red, they stay there stuck in the middle of the junction getting in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

...Basically, if there was a car at any other arm of the roundabout, they were staying put. They would literally wait for the entire roundabout to clear before proceeding...

A LOT of drivers don't know how a roundabout works. My dad does this and it p1sses me off. I have said it to him several times, but his reply is "I know how a roundabout works, but I'm not sure everyone else does! " How do you argue with that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Drivers who think they're Jedi's waving at pedestrians or other users to do things and then get annoyed to the point of rage when they dont do what they think they should be doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 london bus 200

car drivers who Won't let busses out into traffic :mad::mad::mad:

HELLO!!!!, SOME OF US ARE ON A SCHEDULE :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Think it was mentioned already but, drivers joining dual carriageways doing 70kph. Doesn't matter if theres 100-200m of slip road either, MUST join immediately :mad:
    My work commute involves a 120kph stretch of road, some arrive onto that road at insanely dangerous slow speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

So...Because you learned how to drive when road fatalities were several times what they are now it means that you know what's best?

Having never crashed doesn't mean that you have the best approach. It means you're lucky.

Even those who never crash cause them.

Be predictable. Don't make the rules up on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Think it was mentioned already but, drivers joining dual carriageways doing 70kph. Doesn't matter if theres 100-200m of slip road either, MUST join immediately :mad:
    My work commute involves a 120kph stretch of road, some arrive onto that road at insanely dangerous slow speeds.

This.
    Drives me nuts,even on N roads I see people pulled in on the hard shoulder perhaps to take a call or whatever then they indicate and pull out onto the road at a glacial speed while traffic travelling at 100kph bears down on them. How hard is it to build up a bit of speed before merging?

It tells me that when learning to drive you should not signal or indicate to other drivers, other then by using ones indicators. And if that's what it says in the rule book then one must obey that rule.

As a seasoned old goat, the scenario I am talking about (the one that irritates me) is wherby you are in slow moving or stationary at a junction & facing oncoming traffic, you wish to turn right and the question is will they let me go, or not? you see a vague gesture behind the windscreen (maybe a wave) of the finger? but no clear signal, do you go, or do you wait for a definitive signal like a flash!

All to often you wait, they wait, you edge out a little, they move a little, will they won't they? are they beckoning to me? I'm not sure > Oh for God's sake just give a flash and be clear about it... this, all in about 10 seconds.

Its the vague finger gesture on the wheel, or the suggestion of a wave that irritates me.
    Its so unclear and wishy washy.

That's my experienced opinion.

I'll say no more.

It's nothing to do with 'learning to drive'. It is just bad driving practice.

What can happen is that the other driver gives you the signal to proceed without checking their wing mirror for cyclists or motorbikers, steering you right into a collision situation.

Don't flash or wave - just give way if it makes sense, and let the traffic flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My missus is an Aussie. We were watching telly and the advert came on where they are showing what lane you should be in when you are on a roundabout.

She watched the advert and then said to me that you'd never see an advert like that in Australia.

"Why not" says I.

To which she replied "If you don't know what lane to be in on a roundabout, you wouldn't be fcuking driving".

Can't argue with that logic.

Don't flash or wave - just give way if it makes sense, and let the traffic flow.

OK so it looks like there is a lot of opposition to giving a flash (to let people out), but I always looked upon it as a courteous gesture in rush hour to ease the flow, but I guess I'v been wrong all along.
    (bad habbit I probably picked up in England).

Incedentally just this morning I was attempting to cross a busy road and an oncoming car gave a quick 'flash' from about twenty metres away so that I could cross, then as I crossed I raised my arm in thanks.

Was he also wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

RayM wrote: »
    Impatient people who flash their lights at me when I'm doing 100 km/h (which, quite frankly, is fast enough for anyone) in the fast lane on the M50.

In these cases, I usually take my foot off the accelerator to pi55 them off even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Was he also wrong?

Common sense is key here. All you need is one dumb fcuk to cause an accident. Herself was only telling me this morning about her friends elderly parents. They were driving in the RH lane of the Belgard road, when the person in the LH lane stopped to let a car out. This car pulled across the 2 lanes, hitting the elderly couples car and spinning it onto the opposite side of the road.

Luckily they were OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

What can happen is that the other driver gives you the signal to proceed without checking their wing mirror for cyclists or motorbikers, steering you right into a collision situation.

Anyone who pulls out into traffic just because someone flashed them out is an idiot.

A driver who flashes you is letting you know that they're leaving you a gap to get out, nothing more than that. They're not predicting what every other road user is going to do. It's still your responsibility to make sure the road is clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

pablo128 wrote: »
    Common sense is key here. All you need is one dumb fcuk to cause an accident. Herself was only telling me this morning about her friends elderly parents. They were driving in the RH lane of the Belgard road, when the person in the LH lane stopped to let a car out. This car pulled across the 2 lanes, hitting the elderly couples car and spinning it onto the opposite side of the road.

Luckily they were OK.

That in no way is the fault of the driver who stopped to let the other car out.

100% of the blame lies with the guy entering the main road without making sure the way was clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I can allow for most silly behaviour and adapt my driving as required
    But there is one particular breed of idiot whose car should be seized and crushed.

They are the fools who won't get out of the way of emergency vehicles under blue lights or who pull out into the path of an emergency vehicle.

When you are driving your own private car and someone drives out in front of you it is annoying.When you are in an emergency vehicle and some unfortunate is depending on you and you have a loo- la drift out in front of you or some fool dawdling along who won't pull out of the way - that is in a different league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Incedentally just this morning I was attempting to cross a busy road and an oncoming car gave a quick 'flash' from about twenty metres away so that I could cross, then as I crossed I raised my arm in thanks.

How do you know why they are flashing you?

Take your pick of the scams involving flashing others!

http://tinyurl.com/j9mdj7e

http://tinyurl.com/kxryag6

http://tinyurl.com/p9wz6nrDon't let someone else drive your car for you - especially if they are not in your driving seat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

There are none so blind as those who will not see :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

When someone shoots out in front of me from a side road or side street (especially when there's nothing behind me) and then apply the brakes
    and crawl up the road! I mean WTF!
    This totally gets on my wick! Just because they're too lazy to change down to 1st gear. I give these cuntz lights at this stage! Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I have never crashed either but I have been crashed into. It's other peoples lack of safety and courtesy I worry about.

• Advertisement

I have never crashed either but I have been crashed into. It's other peoples lack of safety and courtesy I worry about.

As I said previously "OK so it looks like there is a lot of opposition to giving a flash (to let people out), but I always looked upon it as a courteous gesture in rush hour to ease the flow, but I guess I'v been wrong all along. (bad habbit I probably picked up in England)".

Hopefully we can leave the flashing at that & move on.

Advertisement