Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

BattleCorp wrote: »
    My missus is an Aussie. We were watching telly and the advert came on where they are showing what lane you should be in when you are on a roundabout.

She watched the advert and then said to me that you'd never see an advert like that in Australia.

"Why not" says I.

To which she replied "If you don't know what lane to be in on a roundabout, you wouldn't be fcuking driving".

Can't argue with that logic.

While I agree with her logic, I used to live in Australia. They have ads telling you to wear your seat belt. I'm not sure they've advanced to roundabouts yet.

If you can't manage your seat belt, roundabouts are probably rocket science.

https://youtu.be/1lx5e6XWeMU

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I must ask this as it is a daily occurrence and there may be a new law I do not know bu how many seconds can you keep going even after a red light. The guy in front of me was lucky he did not go straight as 5 seconds later a car went through the red light. There was a lady who went through the light today after 2 cars from my side went through. I gave her the light and she seemed to think from her sign that because she was held up she was entitled to go. Steady yellow lights signal that the light will turn red soon. So, you must either come to a safe stop before the crosswalk, or, if you can't stop safely, proceed with caution through the intersection before the light turns red.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Red means stop, do not pass.
    Amber means prepare to stop.
    Green means that if it is safe to proceed then you may do so.

kbannon wrote: »
    Amber means prepare to stop.

Actually it means prepare to stop at the cross walk which by my understanding is stop at the crosswalk when you get to it regardless if is still amber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Amber means floor it before it turns red.

Fixed! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Yaris drivers, micra drivers, spandexed old men on bikes, tractors at 7.30 in the morning, people who push their buggy onto the road while waiting to cross the round while they are safe and sound on the footpath, drivers who ignore emergency services sirens, taxi drivers who think just because they have their flashers on they can stop anywhere they please and cyclists who have the stupid camera on their helmet and think they are the road police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

People that drive with no lights on a day like today! How stupid is that?
    Small lights or parking lights aren't worth a shlte but better than nothing!

The amount of people I met on the road today with no lights whatsoever!
    Mostly Toyota drivers! Whatever happened to "Be Safe, Be Seen" Ridiculous! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭StudentDad

The driver that acts like the driving equivalent of fly paper. The limit is say 100kph, but they plod along at 50 or 60 on a good road, camped on the white line and god help you if you try to overtake on the straight as they floor it as soon as it becomes apparent that overtaking is possible. Cars build up behind and everyone is stuck doing 50 or whatever speed the car in front deigns appropriate. I had the misfortune of trying to get past a driver like this quite recently, not only did he floor it he came over the white line and tried to block me from overtaking at all. I got past him but driving shouldn't be such a bloody chore.

SD

In relation to earlier comments, I'm all for the flashing to let people out.

In Drogheda there's a dual carriageway with a side road on a turn. The side road, at peak times, is jammed back for ages, because the layout makes it tricky to get onto the dual carriageway.

I often come to a stop at the side road (traffic gets backed up on the dual carriageway due to traffic lights), and instead of flooring it to close the gap when traffic starts to move again, i let 3-4 cars up. Adds nothing to my journey, but speeds up other people's fairly significantly.

What annoys me, are the people behind me, who react with horn blowing, for what equates to a 5-6 second delay. I'm not one for road rage, but I'm gonna end up confronting someone over it one of these days! haha. :mad::)

Other things that bug me are people (on the same dual carriageway) queue skipping. One of the lanes is left turn only, and is usually quiet enough, and the other lane is busy. Some people dart down the left turn only lane, and then pull into the other lane by being aggressive.

What annoys me more than the queue skippers, are the people that let them merge. I've no time for people who do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

People who drive far too close behind me with four headlights full on... on a winding road where there is nowhere to pull in to let them pass.. all I can see is BLINDING LIGHT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

-People not using indicators
    -People who cannot understand how to use a roundabout (burn them all)
    -People who are not careful around cyclists (yes there are lots of terrible cyclists too)
    -Cyclists/pedestrians/motorcyclists who dont wear bright stuff when its dark
    -People with lots of stupid sh!t in the back window - teddies/baby on board/Up the Banner stickers etc
    -Cyclists who cycle in the opposite direction to the traffic
    -People not using fog lights/ or even putting their normal lights on when appropriate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Saw a 171 reg crawling at 60 mph in the middle overtaking land on the M50 yesterday evening. (No traffic)
    Probably just picked it up and didn't want to go in the left lane for fear of merging cars getting to close!
    Or maybe intentionally showing it off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

maudgonner wrote: »
    Anyone who pulls out into traffic just because someone flashed them out is an idiot.

A driver who flashes you is letting you know that they're leaving you a gap to get out, nothing more than that. They're not predicting what every other road user is going to do. It's still your responsibility to make sure the road is clear.

ALMOST got splattered once when someone waved me out and i have never ever trusted anyone again. A terrible scare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Saw a 171 reg crawling at 60 mph in the middle overtaking land on the M50 yesterday evening. (No traffic)
    Probably just picked it up and didn't want to go in the left lane for fear of merging cars getting to close!
    Or maybe intentionally showing it off?

I take your point about the middle lane but I wouldn't consider doing the speed limit "crawling".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I thought the M50 was 100km/h.

NEVER HOG THE OVERTAKING LANE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Cyclists.

Cars hogging the road! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I take your point about the middle lane but I wouldn't consider doing the speed limit "crawling".

Let's continue ignoring that the poster has obviously just used the wrong unit and get properly pedantic...

60mph is about 96kmh.

If you've a mph speedometer in Ireland then it's probably an old car and you can reasonably assume that the speedo isn't very accurate. Normally this will mean the dial is reading about 10kph above what your doing.

All-in-all that'll mean that someone looking at their dial, going 60mph and thinking "I'm doing the speed limit" is really going about 85kph, enough below speed on the m50 to be a bit if a nuisance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Anyone who owns a new car with DRL lights please actually switch on your lights!!

Gob****es going around with front lights and the back of the car in darkness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Let's continue ignoring that the poster has obviously just used the wrong unit and get properly pedantic...

60mph is about 96kmh.

If you've a mph speedometer in Ireland then it's probably an old car and you can reasonably assume that the speedo isn't very accurate. Normally this will mean the dial is reading about 10kph above what your doing.

All-in-all that'll mean that someone looking at their dial, going 60mph and thinking "I'm doing the speed limit" is really going about 85kph, enough below speed on the m50 to be a bit if a nuisance.

You could have a brand new UK import with miles on the speedo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

RayM wrote: »
    Impatient people who flash their lights at me when I'm doing 100 km/h (which, quite frankly, is fast enough for anyone) in the fast lane on the M50.
    seachto7 wrote: »
    In these cases, I usually take my foot off the accelerator to pi55 them off even more.

-People who think they are the police and it is their job to enforce the law
    -People who completely misunderstand the law
    -People who try to upset others with petty behaviour (causing others to be be pissed off and potentially do dangerous acts)
    -People who talk about the fast lane
    -People who want everyone else to drive to their subset/customisation of the rules - how about driving to the actual rules?
    -People who aggressively flash light/act impatiently (This does not include the case where someone may be acting illegally getting flashed- i.e. using the overtaking lane as a driving lane - the person doing so may not be aware and a friendly flash may be required)

pablo128 wrote: »
    You could have a brand new UK import with miles on the speedo.

I didn't say otherwise; my comment was based on what's by far the more likely scenario on Irish roads (Though I'll soon be made wrong by insurance companies...).
    If you've a mph speedometer in Ireland then it's probably an old car and you can reasonably assume that the speedo isn't very accurate.

(As an aside, I don't see how you're allowed to register non-classic cars that don't have a speedometer in the the appropriate units, but hey...even weirder as most/all? new cars have a digital display and it would be a simple software update - heck, you only have to press one button to do it in a near 20 year-old Yaris)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

(As an aside, I don't see how you're allowed to register non-classic cars that don't have a speedometer in the the appropriate units, but hey...even weirder as most/all? new cars have a digital display and it would be a simple software update - heck, you only have to press one button to do it in a near 20 year-old Yaris)

Well heck, you can't just press a button on a new Yaris as they have gone back to using traditional dials.

I'm sure you know well that UK imports have km on the dials too. Its just too small to safely read your speed as you are driving.

Well heck, you can't just press a button on a new Yaris as they have gone back to using traditional dials.
    Really? That's a pity, I really liked how clear and simple the display was on the old yaris, haven't driven a newer one.
    I'm sure you know well that UK imports have km on the dials too. Its just too small to safely read your speed as you are driving.
    that's it isn't it, even with good eyesight I find them unusable. Ah well.

Digital displays are the way to go IMO. So much easier to read the exact speed with a quick glance.

This is all a bit OT though so...

Annoyance: people who park illegally hindering traffic, ignoring the car-park 100m away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

The ignorant people at Blanchardstown Shopping Centre who drove by the disabled parking at the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre at speed drowning myself, my daughter & the inside of my car. Not 1 but 3 cars - Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

People who jump red lights at roadworks. Causing you to have wait for them to come through whilst your light is green and completely messing up the timing sequence.

At night people parked at the side of the road with there full light on. Put on park light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Been driving at night a lot lately so the following.

When you're coming to a bend in the road and see the beams of a car coming the opposite direction so dip your lights. Other car can obviously see your beams but waits til they are around the bend and in your eyeline for a few seconds before dipping their lights.

Drivers on motorways who think that 3 ft barrier in the middle blocks their full beams from cars on the opposite side.

One of the headlights being gone in your car doesn't give you free reign to drive around with the remaining working one on full. Get the f*cking thing fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

km991148 wrote: »
    -People who talk about the fast lane

But that's what it's called :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

RayM wrote: »
    But that's what it's called :confused:

If I were you, I'd start running now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

At night people parked at the side of the road with there full light on. Put on park light

Agree. Not only that but a***h***s parked on your side, facing you, with either dipped or full lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Probably been done to death, but Daylight Running Lights are (CLUE IS IN THE NAME!) for the (shock, horror) daytime only! They are not a substitute for dimmed headlights at night, on the motorway, in the fog, you absolute gob****es!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Agree. Not only that but a***h***s parked on your side, facing you, with either dipped or full lights on.

I had a near miss with one of these on an straight stretch of unmarked road,
    I don't know who got the bigger fright !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

A short drive to the shops and back last night and I observed 4 drivers at different junctions break red lights. I was only in the car for about 20 minutes in total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Fools who don't know or aren't capable of using fog lights correctly. Also the muppets who park in the disabled parking bays with no blue badge displayed, they should be automatically clamped with at least a €100 release fee and a few points on there licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think the biggest thing has to be having all these motoring "laws" that aren't enforced.

Others have said it tenfold here - Mobile phone usage is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

cyclists cycling in pairs slowing down the entire traffic, impossible to overtake.

Carpentry wrote: »
    cyclists cycling in pairs slowing down the entire traffic, impossible to overtake.
    Sigh.
    If you can't overtake two then it probably isn't safe to overtake one.
    Cyclists legally have as much right to occupy the road as you do!
    Anyhow, if you're in that much of a hurry then leave earlier!

Sigh.
    If you can't overtake two then it probably isn't safe to overtake one.
    Cyclists legally have as much right to occupy the road as you do!
    Anyhow, if you're in that much of a hurry then leave earlier!

I dont think you know what you're talking about

If there is a cyclist in cycle lane, you can easily and safely overtake. How would you overtake when there is another cyclist in the middle of the road next ho him/her ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Since when did 80kph become the national speed limit? Absolutely everyone seems to have started driving at this speed now.

If there is a cyclist in cycle lane, you can easily and safely overtake. How would you overtake when there is another cyclist in the middle of the road next ho him/her ?
    Hang on. You are now bringing cycle lanes into this which tou didn't previously refer to.
    On the road, you give at least 1.5 m to overtake a cyclist. This means that you will have to travel in part on the other side of the road.
    If you were trying to pass two cyclists at this spot and it was dangerous then in all likelihood it would be dangerous to overtake one cyclist.

Hang on. You are now bringing cycle lanes into this which tou didn't previously refer to.
    On the road, you give at least 1.5 m to overtake a cyclist. This means that you will have to travel in part on the other side of the road.
    If you were trying to pass two cyclists at this spot and it was dangerous then in all likelihood it would be dangerous to overtake one cyclist.

Why did you assume that I am talking about the road without cycle lane ?

1.5 m when overtaking cyclist that is already taking 1.5 m road width is still possible, but 2 cyclists usually takes half of the road. You can argue, but taking up all space isn't really thoughtful, its like driving in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

to be fair kbannon he said making it impossible to overtake, not dangerous to overtake. It would be different if he said something like ugh I hate having to nearly knock bikes off while overtaking them because they're 2 a breath but he very clearly said "slowing down the entire traffic, impossible to overtake."

so maybe leave it off rather than both of you getting into a new argument re: cycle lanes etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Depends on the road - a bike is about 600mm wide, allowing a few hundred mm between each bike, the maximum cyclists 2 abreast will take up is about 1.5m on a road. So maybe when faced with cyclists 2 abreast on a narrow road, those is a car should wait until it's safe to do so?

The amount of people that don't understand that cyclists can legally cycle 2 abreast is pretty unreal - it;'s part of our legislation since the 1960s.

As an example, we had 3 motorists abuse us last Monday on the Dunshaughlin to Summerhill Road - a group of 5 or six of us, all double abreast.

Apparently it was easier (in their mind) to abuse us from behind with their horn, continue to abuse us as they passed (one too kthe time to unwind his window and verbally abuse us), then pull in sharply in front of us - some into oncoming traffic that had to slow down to cater for their crazy overtaking maneuvers.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Since when did 80kph become the national speed limit? Absolutely everyone seems to have started driving at this speed now.

Well...that is the speed limit on most of our roads.

Why did you assume that I am talking about the road without cycle lane ?

You did a bit of a bait-and-switch in fairness.

Anyone reading your earlier post would assume it's a standard road - without cycle lanes.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Depends on the road - a bike is about 600mm wide, allowing a few hundred mm between each bike, the maximum cyclists 2 abreast will take up is about 1.5m on a road. So maybe when faced with cyclists 2 abreast on a narrow road, those is a car should wait until it's safe to do so?

The amount of people that don't understand that cyclists can legally cycle 2 abreast is pretty unreal - it;'s part of our legislation since the 1960s.

As an example, we had 3 motorists abuse us last Monday on the Dunshaughlin to Summerhill Road - a group of 5 or six of us, all double abreast.

Apparently it was easier (in their mind) to abuse us from behind with their horn, continue to abuse us as they passed (one too kthe time to unwind his window and verbally abuse us), then pull in sharply in front of us - some into oncoming traffic that had to slow down to cater for their crazy overtaking maneuvers.

Never said this is illegal, but the title says "Road issues that irritate me......."

This is what irritates me.

When I cycle next to my wife and hear car coming from behind I simply move behind her and let the car pass. Its doable.

You did a bit of a bait-and-switch in fairness.

Anyone reading your earlier post would assume it's a standard road - without cycle lanes.

How would you assume that ? What, where, why ?

When I cycle next to my wife and hear car coming from behind I simply move behind her and let the car pass. Its doable.

If there's a cycle lane, then great. I'd do that too.

If there isn't then you're making it harder for someone to overtake you safely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement